cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Short back and sides

9 REPLIES 9
Optimissy64

Re: Short back and sides

Just picked up on your post Tina. You mention almost in passing that you Dad died of cancer last week. This is a really big thing and I am so sorry you have this to cope with as well as your own health concerns. Thinking of you at this time. xx

Lane

Hi everyone I went back to work in November last year after finishing treatment in October went back on a phased return of 3 days until February and now 4 days but planning to go back full time next week, I just felt going back was another step back to normality after all I'd been through, still wearing my wig but my hair is coming in still a bit to short for me to ditch it but hopefully , in another month or do I'll be able to bin it , good luck everyone going back to work I've found all my work colleagues very supportive I work in health visiting for the NHS and can't find any faults they have all been do kind and helpful xx
Not applicable

Hi
The hair issue is not at all silly! Its our identity. I finished chemo last August...i too tried coldcap twwice but failed. 12 hours of discomfort for nothing.
I have been left with neuropathy in my feet and Gabapentin is yet to work.. I work in a school and tried a return but couldn't cope mentally or physically. I am now coming to the end of my pay. I do need to earn money but no idea how. I get esa but thats hardly enough. Ive had thoughts from floristry...yes thats random but theres a reason.....my dad died of the big c last week and 1 big cost has been the flowers...so...hence my interest.. Anyway.....enough ramblings and apologies for being off topic.
I now have a hairstyle....and its lilac😮
Catweasel

Hi everyone

Just come across this thread. I finished chemo in summer 2014. I had short hair anyway and though I tried the cold cap, just before I had the second cycle I found my hair was coming out. I had the second cycle as normal but then a couple of days later had my hair shaved off.

I wouldn't let any family or friends see me without something on my head so only nurses etc saw me without, that was just something in me.

My hair came back very curly but grey and when the time came to back to work on a rehab plan it was still short but everyone knew I had had cancer so whilst it was a struggle to actually make it onto the floor, the fact that my hair was different didn't really bother me so much and actually quite a few said how good it looked.

Sonce that time I am now redundant but nothing to do with the cancer, more like nearly all my team were the same. So now it is a case of do I want /need another job or not?

xxx

leanne

I have just done exactly the same and have found it very difficult. Few people knew about the cancer at work, and everyone just thought I'd shaved all my hair off and congratuated me on the new look, which i find hard as i really don't like it so short! Desperately waiting for it to get longer!

I think it's so difficult as it's such a visible thing and is so short that i feel like i really stand out now.
Runningfree

Have just come across your post. Well done for braving it!!

i finished my chemo last spring... The cold cap saved some of my hair ( the 'top' layer) but my long thick hair was coming out in handfuls so I cropped it short. I used the tubular Buff hairbands to keep my head warm on the colder days which masked the bald bits!!

10 months or so later I still have it short! I have found it doesn't grow as quick but it is very thick, glossy and CURLY!  Yes I think people sometimes speculate over cropped hair ( I like to think of it as a pixie cut!!) but I think it often makes us look younger!! And It is a badge of honour!! I'll probably keep it short now.

i think you made the right decision, it would probably have got harder if you had left it another couple of weeks!

all the very best

cath

x

OnceWild

Thank you Helena! I braved it and, although I felt vulnerable, am so glad I got the first day over. People's responses were interesting - from ignoring the 'new' do completely to those that know me best being warm, witty and encouraging. Lots more people to face over coming weeks at the many meetings I go to but think I'll be fine. Every mm helps! 

OnceWild

Thank you Helena! I braved it and, although I felt vulnerable, am so glad I got the first day over. People's responses were interesting - from ignoring the 'new' do completely to those that know me best being warm, witty and encouraging. Lots more people to face over coming weeks at the many meetings I go to but think I'll be fine. Every mm helps! 

ladybowler
Community Champion

OnceWild

I just wanted to say Go Girl you will look beautiful.  I have not had chemo so did not lose my hair but I just wanted to let you know that how proud I am reading your post. You are not being silly it is a significant moment for you but you can do it.

Helena xxx

OnceWild

Short back and sides

Getting ready to head into work without my wig for the first time and dreading it as my hair is still SO short. I HATE my wig and have been planning to ditch it for ages and decided to get rid after having half term off. Feel silly about being so pathetic as I have been going hatless/wigless outside of work for three weeks and it hasn't bothered me. I think it is because my new very short grey crop shouts 'CANCER PATIENT' and this isn't something I want with me at work. Sillly thing is that almost everyone knows I have had cancer (and all have been lovely about it) and my wig was clearly a wig....... so that makes me feel even sillier and stressing about it. Such a small thing in the hell of what we've all been through shouldn't bother me so much. Will just brave up, spike up what little hair I have and pop in some super shiny dangly earrings - and pretend I don't care.