71705members
376106posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I be worried? (newbie first post)

7 REPLIES 7
lindyd

Re: Should I be worried? (newbie first post)

strawbs thanks for your post - its reassured me a little that its just not me and that others have to wait a long time too - doesn't stop the worry and the what ifs. I have been referred to a one stop breast clinic told to expect to be up to 5 hours but will be given results of any finding the same day - don't think i could cope with another wait. Hope all goes well for you - good luck for Wed - take care x

strawbstaylor

I know how you feel about waiting. Because of my age I have had to wait nearly 7 weeks before I saw a consultant who did exactly the same examination as my GP, then waited nearly 3 weeks for my scan appointment (which is 1st April) and have an appointment to go for my results which isn't until 11th JUNE. I cant believe how they can keep us waiting so long. I understand some cases are more urgent but my mum found a lump one Monday morning, saw her GP the same day and had her scan within 7 days and fortunately it was just a cyst and was drained the same day. It can be done far quicker than they are giving us appointments and I feel very upset that age (in my case) is a major issue. I have a big family history, some being pre-menopause yet in total I will have waited nearly 5 months between seeing my GP and getting any results.

I hope you manage to get an earlier appointment and everything works out ok.

lindyd

Whoops sorry Lucy thanks for links will have a look x

lindyd

Thank you Theresa and Val for your replies - got appointment to see my GP on wed eve (lady doctor) and have decided to take it from there - not long to wait now and hopefully she will be able to get my appointment moved forward or offer some advice and reassurance. Was hoping pain would subside over weekend but been up and down - almost in tears with it sat afternoon but yesterday and today more bearable but still there. No mention of antibiotics I have had mastitus a couple of times over the years relating to breast feeding - and from what I can remember feels a little like what I'm experiencing now. I first became aware that something was not quite right in Nov/Dec but as it seemed to disappear of its own accord after a few days I left it to see if it would happen again - well it did and now since around the 9th March its constant and showing no sign of going. I'm also worried that GP could feel a lump - roll on Wed eve then I can ask all the questions I should of asked at my first appointment Thanks again for replies x

rhapsodyangel

Hi Lindy - sorry to hear that you are going through all this worry...

I was diagnosed with IBC last May... As Horace says fortunatly it is very rare I'm the first patient with it at my local hospital in 4 years... But that does mean lots of GPs have never even heard of it - let alone seen a case, mine was convinced i had mastitus although i actually presented with every symptom on the list for IBC...

Do you have any other symptoms?

As Horace has said - try to go back and do let the hospital know you are willing to accept late cancellations...

Theresa x

horace

No lindy you are not being paranoid at all.That is far too long to wait.The time of your post shows how very worried you are.Did your GP suggest antibiotics to see if it is an infection?Inflammatory bc is quite rare but you still need to be checked out.Now you have your appointment you can ring the clinic and ask to have appt brought forward,say you will accept a cancellation at short notice.You should also see the GP again and ask him to explain why he feels this is non urgent.A lot of doctors aren't really aware of IBC so you may have to mention it yourself.You could ask to see another doctor in the practice-is there a woman?Having said all that remember that 9 out of 10 breast lumps are benign and the percentage of painful lumps which are malignant is even smaller.Make those calls tomorrow and try to enjoy the sun today.
Let us know how you get on,you will find a lot of support while you wait and afterwards if you need it.
Love Valx

Lucy_BCC

Hi Lindyd

Welcome to the Breast Cancer Care discussion forums, you have come to the right place for support.

I have put for you below links to some of BCC's publications that you may find useful to read prior to your appointment. You can download or order a copy to be posted out to you, free of charge. If you feel you need to have a chat with someone in confidence please feel free to call the BCC helpline on 0808 800 6000, lines open Mon-Fri 9am-5pm and Sat 9am-2pm.

Breast awareness: http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/server/show/nav.718/changeTemplate/PublicationDisplay/publication...

Referral to a breast clinic: http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/server/show/nav.718/changeTemplate/PublicationDisplay/publication...

Breast pain: http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/server/show/nav.718/changeTemplate/PublicationDisplay/publication...

Best wishes
Lucy

lindyd

Should I be worried? (newbie first post)

went to GP on 16th March with breast pain - examined and GP found lump = referred to hospital - received letter and appointment not until 13th MAY - seems such a long time to wait - GOING OUT OF MY HEAD WITH WHAT IFS - still have pain got a little worse - at first it was just an ache I was aware of occasionally through out the day now consistent unable to get comfortable at night pulls when over exertion painful if little one leans on me for a hug and hurts when driving - made appointment with GP for wed eve to see if this normal and if she can push appointment forward - I know GP said most breast pain not sinister but recently read about inflammatory breast cancer which can presents with pain - am I being paranoid