Should I be worried?

Hi I am worried. I always check myself with having a family history of breast cancer, (my mum and gran mum both had breast cancer).
Usually it’s a feel around and that’s it, but I decided to look as well yesterday. I lifted my arm whilst looking in mirror and things looked ok. Then I began examining myself. After I had felt my left breast I noticed my nipple had gone in, it looked scary!! It took a little pulling and manipulating then it came out. I repeated the same examination to my right breast and nothing different occurred so I did the left one again and once again the nipple went straight in! I was really worried so rang doctor. I got appointment yesterday afternoon. The doctor examined me and said he wants to see me again next week to see if anything changes. If it is still the same he is referring me to breast clinic. Is it normal to have to do this, I thought he would have just sent me straight to clinic.
What should I do and is this normal?
I am a 55year old woman with 3 grown up children.
Thank you

Dear Mydoggies,

You might find it helps to give our Helpline a call to talk this over.  They’ll be able to offer you practical information and emotional support.  They are open from 9-5 on weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays.  The number is 0808 800 6000

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator