Should I be worried

Diagnosed last week following discovery at my first over 50 routine mammogram of early cell change linked to calcifications - surgeon seems confident of removing the problem with a wire guide then some radiotherapy. Feeling ok but worried there maybe more to it ? he mentioned the blue dye thing to the lymph nodes but will that still be two weeks for results as he said they would do during op then decide if to remove. Thanks for any advise x 

Hi Blossom

Sorry you’ve had to join our ‘club’.

I had a lumpectomy/Wide Local Excision and Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy operation, where they take just one or a few nodes and these are checked in the pathology lab after surgery to see if they contain cancer and if they do, you’ll either have further surgery to take out all of your lymph nodes on that side, or if only one or two are affected you might be offered radiotherapy treatment of the lymph nodes instead.

The pre-surgery tests of lymph nodes don’t always give a true result so they have to check after surgery. They do it this way to avoid taking them all out if there is no need because removal of them all can cause some problems with lymphodema etc

Hope that helps.

xx

Sharon

Hi Blossom64

Welcome to the BCC discussion forums where I am sure you will get lots of good, honest support from the many informed users of this site.

To help you along I have put for you below the link to one of BCC’s publications you might find helpful.

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/breast-cancer-you-diagnosis-treatment-future-bcc44

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Hi Blossom64

It’s OK to feel worried by the way! I also had a WLE and sentinel node removal, which is the best way to check that the nodes are clear, without having to take all of them out. Mine were so probably just going to have some radiotherapy now, when scars have healed. You will be weeing ‘blue’ for a day or so after the op, due to the blue dye, just drink plenty of water to help it flush through. You are not turning into a Smurf, don’t worry! Also, you will have a blue mark on your boob where they injected for several weeks. I didn’t find the injection at all painful by the way. There are lots of lovely ladies on this forum, always happy to offer advice and support, so don’t worry alone. It’s always a shock to have this sort of news and everyone reacts differently. Feel free to join my ‘snivel’ club, where we can happily say we’ve had a meltdown and a good snivel! Xx Francine

Hi Blossom, I’m sorry too that you’ve joined this club. Following a routine mammogram I had a lumpectomy & lymph node removal on 13 Feb and I get my results on Friday. I was very worried about having the wire inserted, but it was fine, I didn’t feel a thing. And yes your wee will be blue for a while, looks like loo cleaner! Post your concerns on the forum, the lovely ladies on here will give advice, as many of them will have experience. Best wishes x

Don’t be worried, just go with the flow, I had WLE and sentinel node excision Friday 26th. The wire was nothing to worry about, neither was the radioactive trace. The blue dye is put in during surgery. I didn’t even take any painkillers yesterday and am feeling good. Dressing clinic tomorrow (will deffo take painkillers for the plaster coming off!) results on weds 11th to see if anything else needed besides radiotherapy. You keep thinking positive. I’m having a onsie day today :-). xxx

I had lumpectomy and two lymph nodes removed and they tested then while in theatre and they looked clear so they didn’t take any more lymph nodes. Unfortunately it’s not completely accurate and when they came back from the lab one had a tiny positive bit in it. So now I have to go for full node clearance :frowning:

Thanks for all your comments will go with the flow! and hope all clear. Operation is the 20th March. Main priority currently sorting out leisure way for the day surgery visit!

Anything you can button up rather than put over your head is good. I took in one of my husband’s shirts! Also a nice soft pillow you can put on your chest under the seat belt when you go home. Xx

Good advice fuffs123. I use a soft pillow across my boob at night, problem now I love it soooo much, like a comforter.  What i believed helped me was keeping a bra on all night, about 1 week and have heard others felt it was a great help. Great we can pass on tips. Hope all ok lol xxxxxxx

I’m still wearing my bra at night, 3 weeks after surgery! But then I’m an H cup (well one is snd the other probably G by now!) so when I turn over the boobs go first, lol. Also developed some scar tissue between my underarm and boob, which pulls. Still waiting for my oncology appt to decide treatment plan, weighing a bit heavily on me at the moment (like the boobs!) xx

Hi fuffs123, I still don’t turn on my right side in bed even though I  have my pillow. Need to try it soon. I know how you feel, the dreaded waiting game. I  see my oncologist on 11th march, just want the treatment to start. My surgeon said rads and drug as all clear and hadn’t gone in lymph nodes.  I still get that pulling and I  am 5 weeks post surgery.  The other thing I discovered  was the wire free bra. What a difference. Plus I  work in front of computers and read about the bra wire and computers link some years back. We just never know do we.  Let us know how you get on. Lol xxxx

Hi Pandorra1

I’m a great wire free bra fan, even though I have large boobs and have just found a really comfortable sports bra which I’m devoted to! Even taking it off to have a shower is painful and I have developed a rather unusual technique for washing your hair whilst supporting the poor boob at the same time! Who would have thought having BC would lead me to being so inventive. OH was doubled up with laughter watching me cavorting around the shower cubicle, boob in hand and blinded with shampoo? It was s bit of light relief in my rather difficult day. X