Should I have chemotherapy

I have just undergone a mastectomy for Grade 3 DCIS and this Thursday I am going to clinic to receive the results of the surgery. I don’t know if I will be offered chemotherapy and have been told that it depends on the percentage the treatment will enable me to survive (I hope that makes sense). I wonder if anybody can give me advice regarding this. Many thanks.

Hello Pompay clarinet girl

Welcome to the forums, I’m sure other users will be along to support you soon.

You may like to talk to someone at our free helpline on 0808 800 6000 which opens again in the morning and normal opening hours are Monday to Friday 9.00 – 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 – 2.00.

Best wishes

June, moderator

Hi Pompey Clarinet Girl.
From what I understand (forgive me if I’m mistaken) DCIS is not invasive and if nodes are not involved, chemo may not be necessary. But if chemo is necessary, only you can make the decision on chemo or no chemo, according to what your results are. I can only tell you my story.
DX with Invasive ductal carcinoma October 2012, Had MX and SNB 12th December 2012. Tumour was 3cm and Grade 3, three nodes removed, one with cancer and vascular invasion. It was also 100% ER positive and 70% PR positive. I was offered chemo as an option, but not forced into it. But I took it and I’m glad I did. It hasn’t been too difficult for me as my side effects are all bearable and treatable. No sickness or nausea thank goodness. I realise that we are all different and many do have worse side effects. But the medics give you appropriate drugs to control them all.

Whatever happens, I’m sending positive thoughts and wish you very good luck.
Poemsgalore xx

ps, I don’t know if you have any literature about your type of cancer, here is a link to a pdf file on this site that tells you all about it.
www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/sites/default/files/bcc39__dcis_factsheet_2012_web.pdf

Hi pompey clarinet girl…have a look at nhs predict tool which is a mathematical tool based on years of data (but don’t forget that it is historical data, but is quite refined I believe to go some way to making future predictions based on current treatments available - if that makes sense?). You can input information based on your individual circumstances and it gives you an insight into improved survival rates with/out chemo and hormone therapy. Just another piece of helpful information to assist in an informed decision if you are offered the choice of chemo. Best wishes for results day. X