Should I start chemo?

Here’s my story so far: diagnosed after routine mammogram. WLE and SNB 20 august. Results meeting 27 august - clear margins, no node involvement, hormone positive, Her2 negative, 9mm, grade 3. Chemo was tabled due to the grade 3 tumour. Met with oncologist today and told I will defo have 19 days radio, 5 years tamoxifen and 5 years letrozole. Chemo could also be offered due to the grade 3 and because I am peri-menopausal aged 51. I was told percentage wise there was only about 2% overall benefit of having the chemo (this takes into account the risk of heart disease and leukaemia with having chemo, plus all the side effects (I have a sickness phobia). All in all, is 2% worth all the associated risks? Has anyone else been faced with these stats and what did you decide? I have to go back next Tuesday with my decision, they won’t direct me either way. Any comments would be great fully received because I am really struggling. Many thanks xx

My case has a number of similarities to yours: WLE and SNB 4th July, clear margins but a low level of node involvement (which nobody expected) estrogen sensitive, Her2- , 14mm, grade 2/3 at diagnosis, but 2 after op. I had always assumed node involvement -> chemo, so it was an almighty shock when the surgeon told me. The oncologist left the decision to me, having explained quite a bit - but I don’t remember her being specific about the level of risk from heart problems and leukemia. I remember (possibly mistakenly) her saying my risk of recurrence was 3%-5%, but in her letter to the surgeon (I get copies of everything automatically) she said 1%-3%. Because the node showed cancer cells, I reasoned that there was a chance it had got further, so I am having chemo (FEC 75), first one was 28th August.  I didn’t want to spend the rest of my life wondering if each ache or pain was a recurrence. Being post-menopausal, some aspects of the SEs are of less concern to me, too.

What the medics cannot put a number on is our own attitude to how these things affect our quality of life - my decision was to tolerate a rubbish 9 months or so, for the sake of how I would feel longer term. You are different, your medical situation is different - tough as it is, the decision is yours.

My diagnosis was a grade 2 19mm IDC ER+ 8/8 micromet in one node, I too was told that I was borderline for chemo and that there was only a 2% benefit! Like LuckyLass I wanted to ensure I’d covered all bases and didn’t ever want to be in the position of having a recurrence or mets and bitterly regretting not throwing everything at it. I too had 6 x FEC75 and managed really well, I continued to work whilst running a home and looking after my 4 year old daughter, not everyone has a really hard time with chemo. I know I’ve done all I can to live a long life, short term pain, long term gain is how I see it. Good luck!

Also similar had wle and snb no nodes involved plus clear margins her2+ . I was given option but recommended to have chemo as surgeon said I wouldn’t want to regret it later on. Had FEC 75 not nice but not anywhere near as bad as I expected have just finished my last of 6 cycles nearly three weeks ago.

Each of us must make our own decision but I wanted the best of chances so will have everything radio therapy next and Anastrozole tabs plus herceptin injections. Good luck with whatever you decide.