Should I take arnica?

Hi there. This is my first post on the forums. I had a wire guided WLE and SNB two weeks ago with no problems following but have now heard that the lymph nodes removed (3) all had cancer in so I have to have all the lymph glands removed and further surgery on the breast as there wasn’t clear margin all around. A friend suggested that I should take arnica to reduce the bruising next time. Has anyone tried this?

Hi frogfancier,

I have tried arnica sometimes - the last time was when I had my port put in. I did check with surgeon that he was quite happy with that and he was o.k. Make sure you check the instructions and use it accordingly. I think it is very effective - oh I just remembered I used it a few weeks ago after having a canula put in that had the look of developing a bad bruise on the back of my hand so for the next couple of days I used arnica cream and the bruising didn’t develop any further.

Dawn

I swear by arnica gel and used it after biopsy and surgery for the aches round my shoulder and arm area. I checked with the doctors and onc first and they were fine with me using it. Have used it for years on bruises/aches/strains etc and frequently use it when I have my monthly hunt-the-vein. My sister took some arnica tablets before surgery once (not bc related) and swears it helped her find things less achy afterwards.

I get my supply from TV shopping channel QVC - cheapest source and 30 day money back guarantee if not suitable even if you’ve used it!

Good luck with everything.

Liz

Hi

I had surgery 3 weeks ago and ended up with a badly bruised haematoma. My consultant suggested arnica cream. I’ve been using it twice a day and it is working really well. The bruising has all but gone.

Good luck

Krissy

I swear by arnica gel it is great for bruises-it brings them out much more quickly. I had a black hand after having a canula put in rather badly by a trainee doctor and it really helped. I also buy mine from qvc.

I would check first if you are taking it orally. I may be wrong, but I think it can thin the blood. Please don’t take my word for it, and check with your doctor. Let me know, I have my surgery soon, and would be most interested!

Thank you for your quick responses. I won’t see the surgeon again before surgery but I am seeing the BCN this week so will check with her whether it’s OK to take arnica orally before the op.

HI, just to add my sister is a homeopath and when I had my surgery ( lumpectomey and lymph nodes then MX later) she gave me some - the district nurses said they had never seen a scar clear up so quick! cheers nicola

Hi, I was going to take it but was told "they always advise people not to because it can affect clotting). I didn’t take it in the end and my scar healed really quickly. I guess it depends on your surgeon and your choices… x

Yeh thanks Mary Grace - my memory - my sister said to only take it after surgery not before - sorry about that, Nicola