Should i or should i not have chemo.

Saw surgeon today.all find with operation. but have the dillema do i or do i not have chemo.  My earlystage cancer was grade 2, only showing M3 because of mitoric activity but in every other way grade 2 he said, obviously radio therapy and pills as HER2 neg, and only the first lymph node pos, rest removed and all clear anyway but glad gone.  But chemo is up to me, only 5 % more margain of it not reoccurring in  the 10 year period,  In a way though pleased lymth nodes all clear was dreading this senario when i have to decide. Im 67 but a young 67, very healthy in every other way,never smoked, eat healhily, stopped HRT, and cut back on alcohol but was only a social drinker, come from a long living family, with no cancers, take plenty of exercise.  Interested to hear others views and any who have been in same position as me.  Chemo can be so debilitating, i .live alone. and as you get older can it affect you permanently. but what if june

I will do whatever the professionals think is best. I am one of the cleanest living people I know and am 58. A few months of debilitation is better than risking secondaries later. I am awaiting my stage two op in two weeks. I know I have 3 weeks of radio to look forward to, but if they say chemo as well after my results, then that’s what I will have. I have already lost two paternal aunts to this horrible disease and my mum is ten years clear. Just found out last week that my cousin, ten years my junior has also had it. I have three fabulous daughters and six gorgeous grandchildren. I have too much to lose to risk not doing it . Sue x

Hi

I do not have cancer but my mum does and is currently half way through chemo. She is struggling badly - had neutropenic sepsis wth chest infection (although due to being previous smoker) and has had stomach cramps and been generally v weak throughout. She is 63. Her chemo wasn’t as optional though as its in a number of lymph nodes already. She does want to throw everything at it that she can, but her prognosis isn’t as good being in more nodes. However she didn’t expect it to be this tough.
The only thing that I wonder about regarding the % increase in survival is that isn’t it for a group of people in general and not an individual? What I mean is - 5% more of that group will have a chance of living 10 years, not an individual with have 5% more chance? That always makes me wonder if there are 5% of women who could go either way depending upon whether they take the chemo or not, and you just don’t know which side of the % your on? I’m guessing it’s all dependant upon whether some cells went astray? I could be wrong but that’s what I thought the % referred too.
It must be such a hard decision. Is reduced chemo an option you could consider? My mum having 80% chemo as the initial 100% is what resulted in the neutropenic sepsis.
Xx

Hi all, as simeone slightly younger, diagnosed on first mamogram, i have had surgery x2and rads,and now on hirmone therapy (anastrazole). this is a type of chemo, my body is being cheically alterred to reduce the chances of further problems. I was advised in my case the cancer waa not an aggressive fast growing one, and chemo into the veins may alter the statistics by 2-3%. However it comes wuth its own risks, the sepsis being one of them. I have my 2 young people still at home, neither drive. I felt confident not to take chemo when discussed with my oncologist. May the person saying yiu are selfish is too frughtened to hear all you say. Strength and confidence in yoiur choices, i am certain you wiyld have received stronger recommendations from the onc if chemo iv was so crucial to your care.
Love and hugs,
LL

Hi all, as someone slightly younger, diagnosed on first mamogram, i have had surgery x2and rads,and now on hormone therapy (anastrazole). this is a type of chemo, my body is being chemically alterred to reduce the chances of further problems. I was advised in my case the cancer waa not an aggressive fast growing one, and chemo into the veins may alter the statistics by 2-3%. However it comes wuth its own risks, the sepsis being one of them. I have my 2 young people still at home, neither drive. I felt confident not to take chemo when discussed with my oncologist. May the person saying yiu are selfish is too frughtened to hear all you say. Strength and confidence in yoiur choices, i am certain you wiyld have received stronger recommendations from the onc if chemo iv was so crucial to your care.
Love and hugs,
LL

Gah - curse of the ** fat fingers, small keypad, and wee hours typing ** - am sure you got the gist,!!

LL

Gah - curse of the **fat fingers, small keypad, and wee hours typing** - am sure you got the gist,!!

LL

Hi June,
You sound amazingly balanced at this tricky time. I have to admire you taking this lass who is so vocal. She obviously thinks a lot of you and cares deeply, but as you said chemo in the veins brings own risks with for some minimal possible gains. Will be thinking of you tomorrow and hope all goes as smoothly as it can.
Lexilou x x

Hi Catchpole

Been reading your posts and the replies and really felt for you. So pleased your friend has taken on board what your onc said. Clearly she is very fond of you and values you very much. I expect she was very fearful at the thought of losing you, so went a bit over the top. I was diagnosed and had an op on 10 Feb (my birthday!) and will get my results on Friday. I was quite amazed at people’s reactions, especially my husband. We’ve been married nearly 40 yrs and I’ve never seen him so upset and scared. I mentioned to him that If I was told I had to have chemo I would have to think carefully about it before agreeing. He went nuts, clearly a fear of losing me reaction but not what I needed. Anyway, just to say that people who care about you do often behave quite badly! Take care x

Wow - So chuffwd for you June. X
Thinking of you Fuffs for friday x

Thank you all for your good wishes for my results tomorrow. Felling calm but husband is not! Treating myself to the hairdressers today, going to get those grey hairs covered! Will be nice to have a ‘normal’ conversation with them, which doesn’t involve talking about BC, if you know what I mean. Need to go to the dentist too but can’t quite steel myself to that at the moment! Stupid really, after going thro all this it’s nothing is it. Sending hugs to all x

Good luck for tomorrow Fuffs, thoughts are with you

xx

Sharon