cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shoulder pain 20 months after WLE

8 REPLIES 8
Swirly

Re: Shoulder pain 20 months after WLE

Hi Mac, glad you are well through your treatment. I would agree to do the stretching, we tend to hunch our shoulders forward when in pain and it creates tension in our backs, neck and over the top of the shoulder. I've found aqua aerobics to be brilliant for gaining strenth and mobility. The warmth and support the water gives really helps to loosen things up, just take care not to over stretch to start with. It's so good, I feel the benefit for the rest of the day. I treated myself to a new padded costume, some hold their shape better than others so you need to try it on to see, as well as checking there are no seams rubbing sensitive bits. I've also just started to do pilates, which is quite hard work to be honest, but again as long as I'm careful I can feel the benefits 🙂 Good luck!

jannie13

Im having physio on both sides for pain in shoulders and cording. They think its due to holding myself awkwardly due to various pains having to wear bad fitting bras..im a g cup...and the cording. It is getting better.
trudy2010

I had physiotherapy for a painful shoulder about 3-4 months after I had axillary clearance. I just mentioned it to my BCN and she booked physio straight away. It was really useful and helped a lot, even though I only went 3 or 4 times then I was discharged. That was 3 years ago now, and I still get a terrible aching and sometimes a pain if I use my left arm and shoulder too much . I am 42 years old and currently NED.

Truddles. xx

busyanne

Mac 123, I had treatment same time as you but only had Herceptin.  Since finishing treatment in August last year I have a very sore and still neck and shoulder, again like you on the side where cancer was.  I worry about it constantly and was told by oncologist that radiation can have a lasting affect on the body and especially the area where treatment was directed.  I just take pain killers.  Pain come and goes at the moment my head feels very heavy for my neck.  Take care.

pollyanna57

Hi seabreeze many thanks must admit never thought of doing any stretches etc anything is worth trying. To be fair my boss has and is being really supportive and has given me sometime off . I'm seeing a herbalist later today to see if she can help and I'm looking at perhaps a different work pattern. I can cope with any physical pain it's the depressive episodes that are unbearable for me and I'm sure for my family.
Small steps to make a change starts today!! This is the first time I have ever joined in the forum I've always read posts before, it's has helped me so much this am to understand that this really is side affects and not me going completely doolally!!!! Thank you
Seabreeze

Hi Pollyanna and Mac123
I've not taken anastrazole so can't help from that angle however just wondered if you were both still stretching after radio...I think fibrosis continues to be a risk for quite a while. I'm a few months post radio and still get tight if I miss a few days, just wondered if that could affect the shoulder?
Pollyanna - really sorry to hear about the work situation. Is there anything your employer could do or adjust to help? I've just started back at work, day in day out etc and am finding it exhausting. They had been wanting me to be back to 8 hr days with 2 hr commute after 2 weeks...don't think that's a possibility. Hard having to push all the time for sense.
pollyanna57

Hi I am at this point as well. For the last two months the pain in my shoulder joint is so painful as well as my elbow and wrist on the same side as breast cancer. I have just had a bone scan and waiting results although I am not really anxious about that. I do think it has to do with Anastrazole. I also feel sooo depressed recently I certainly didn't feel like this when diagnosed or through treatment!!
I have been back at work full time for last 12 months which is full on and now seem to have hit a brick wall running!! Crying most of time, exhausted and feeling lost!!!!! Anyone else feel the same? Even though compared to some of you brave ladies I had it easy!
Janet_BCC

Hi Mac123

It might help to talk to someone on the Helpline about this.  They'll be open again tomorrow at 9.00am (9-5 on weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays).  The number is 0808 800 6000

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Mac123

Shoulder pain 20 months after WLE

I wonder if any of you can help. I had WLE March 13 followed by FEC and Radiotherapy. I finished Herceptin this Sept and am taking Anastrazole. For the last few days, I have a really sore and painful shoulder on the side that I had my WLE. It feels really tight and uncomfortable and aches. I have checked myself for lumps and bumps but can't feel anything unusual. Has anyone else experienced this, particularly so long after surgery. Many thanks.