Sickness Absence

Hi All

I returned to work 14th Oct after 6 months off following surgery and radiotherapy. Had phased return planned by Occ Health and been working full contracted hours since Christmas. Had 1 day off ill during phased return (stomach upset) which Occ Health knew about and had 3 days off just before Xmas (1 episode of sickness) with cold (75% of the dept also went off sick with same bug).

Currently having counselling via Occ Health about work related issues (self-referral).

Today, I was given a letter (plus copy of sickness policy) from my manager saying I have to attend a formal meeting with her and HR to discuss my sickness absence! Oh, and I’m allowed to take either a Union Rep (not in any union) or a colleague.

I’ve contacted the Business Manager in Occ Health who’s told me disregard it for now and to contact her again tomorrow. She was furious.

Can HR do this? Are cancer patients now protected from this sort of harassment and bullying via the DDA? My stress levels are through the roof. I’m so upset as I felt I was beginning to get my life back on track, and now this. I really can’t believe they’re going to reprimand me for being off sick with cancer.

Incidently, I work for the NHS. Ironic or what.

Sorry you have received such an impersonal letter. It might have been helpful if your manager had explained a bit more before receipt of the letter. What does the policy say about reviewing sickness absence?

Bullying or harassment may depend on the nature of the meeting.

HR can do this but are they concerned about your absence or just following procedure. Whatever it seems very insensitive to have a formal meeting under these circumstances.

Attendance review meetings are not always about the negative but may be used to review how things are going with your return to work and its effect on your health, what adjustments to workload etc may be needed etc. You mentioned some work related issues which you are having counselling for.

Are you able to ask your manager fro more information?

Happy to discuss further if needed.

Flora

Hi Flora

Thanks for the reply. The Trust has implemented a new sickness policy and procedures whereby ‘triggers’ instigate a ‘next stage’.

The wording of the letter makes no mistake about the tone the meeting will take.

I appreciate that the Trust is trying to improve its staff sickness record (levels are apalling apparently) but to send a letter like this (and I presume to other staff members who’re dealing with cancer) is unforgivable and shows a lack of communication between HR and Occ Health (who, by the way, copied HR woman who’s going to interview me into the letters produced following my meetings with them to get back to work).

I’ll find out more today (I hope) - I didn’t even get the letter direct from my manager - she gave it to someone else to give me. Speaks volumes.

Still so bloody angry. Didn’t sleep, feel quite ill this morning. Thanks a bunch MBHT

This sounds entirely typical of NHS employers, and if you want to know just how bad it can get have a look at our “being bullied at work” thread. There does seem to be a belief that employee absence is mostly people swinging the lead, whereas in fact high rates of sickness absence reflect dysfunctional workplaces, and judging by the way your manager has behaved it sounds like she may be part of the problem. NHS workplaces are also usually so understaffed that people are always operating at full stretch so if anyone goes off the overwork and stress become intolerable for those left behind.
…Our Trust demonstrates the same kind of total confusion as to whether they should be supporting sick employees or punishing them, and insists on sending the same standard terrifying letter mentioning disciplinary processes and professional regulators to people it knows to be unwell, which is just cruel. However it’s not personal. The interface between OH and HR can also be quite tense, and it’s worth clarifying what information should be shared about you, and with whom. AFAIK you should also be copied into any reports or letters written about you. Get effective union support, know your rights…keep us posted! and good luck…

Valkyrie - I’ve sent you a pm.

Hope it went ok today.

Liz