Side Effects after Rads

Hi Ladies

I am about to have my first lot of radiotherapy this week to my hips and lower back for pain relief (have mets to spine, bones liver and lungs). My onc has said to expect nausea and possible upset tummy, my question is - does anyone know how quickly this might happen? I only ask as they have conveniently scheduled the treatment on my birthday - and was planning a nice meal out, plus i have plans for later in the week and not sure if I should re-arrange.

Thanks in advance ladies,

Carly

Hi Carly I’ve had rads to lumbar and sacrum it was a one off blast and I’m afraid I did find that about an hour after the treatment the pain was pretty awful I don’t think I could have gone out that night. It did ease the next day and probably took about a fortnight to go completely. If your not already on some kind of morphine I would recommend you ask for it and take bout 30 min before rads. My palliative nurse has advised this to me as I’m having more next week xx

Hi Carly I had rads on my brain, five sessions. I went prepared with anti sickness pills but wasn’t sick at all quite the opposite I got a severe attack of the munchies!!!