I was diagnosed 8th jan and had my first op on the 23rd of january. I then had further surgery 6th March and had problems with a wound that has needed packing. I have been desperate to start and have been given the day of 17th april. I too have been really worried but my bcn also has stated the worst thing I could do is start chemo with an open wound. Actually she said it could be life threatening if it got infected!! The whole team are not worried about the wait and assure me the delay will not affect me.Speak to your team, but I would definitely go for it xxx
I had bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction on 4th March 14. I have had numerous problems with wound healing (infection ect) and I am booked in for a skin graft on 15/4/14. Have been to see my onc today who says that starting chemo before wounds are completely healed, and having interruptions due to infection would be worse than just delaying treatment. I have another appointment on 19/5/15 and he says he MIGHT start chemo then if I am completely well. If not, he says that he will leave it another 4 weeks. When my chemo starts, it will be over three months since my op also.
I will definitely still have the chemo as it's what they are advising. Have you spoken to your team? Maybe you could give your BCN a call or probably the helpline here could give you some support?
I hope this has helped a little.
Keep well 🙂
Welcome to the BCC Forum. I'm sorry no one has noticed your post yet. This might be something our Helpline could help with. They can offer practical information and emotional support. The opening times are 9-5 on weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays. The number is 0808 800 6000
Very best wishes