Signs it has returned after 10 years

Hi
Firstly, I have had over ten cancer free years since receiving chemo/radiotherapy for stage 3 breast cancer in 2015.
Recently…
I have had a persistent dry cough for the last month and my GP is sending me for a chest xray.
Now worrying that, together with the increased pain at the top of my arm, it may be a symptom of lung cancer.
Although, since my lumpectomy and lymph node removal, I have always had some arm pain.

Please can anyone reading this post let me know if you have had similar experience…
Thank you

Hi Harmony,

I am sorry to hear that you are worried and I am sure some of our users will be along to share their experiences and show their support soon. 

In the meantime you can always use our Ask the Nurse service or call our helpline on 0808 800 6000, who will be able to talk you through any questions you have about your symptoms and offer a friendly ear. The opening hours are below:

Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm
Late opening Wednesday 9am-7pm
Saturday, 9am-1pm

Best wishes, 

Bonita 

Hi there Harmony,

welcome to our lovely site,there are lots of lovely ladies here with a wealth of personal experience and we are all here for youxx

How very worrying for you. Xxx  I totally understand why you are concerned. Im  not a doctor, but from what you say, the arm pain has been around since your initial treatment. Was wondering if that could be nerve pain from your earlier experience?.

i have lymphoedema and extra arm pain always makes me wonder if its worsening, but I have also noticed that when im worried, I sometimes tense up around my arm anyway…

The persistent dry cough is well worth checkng out, especially in view of our health history, well done for going to your gp…but again, it may turn out to be nothing bad hopefully. Its always going to be like this for us isnt it, 

waiting in case another shoe drops?  If its of any help, I have suffered from reflux on and off for a while now and that gives me a  dry cough.

Please come back and chat if you are worried and let us know how the xray goesxx

Moijanxx???

Hi Harmony,

I really hope it turns out to be a false alarm but here’s my story in case it helps.

My primary DX was in 2003 and after recovering from treatment I tried to put it to the back of my mind. During the summer of 2015, I had a persistent cough and was eventually diagnosed with lung mets in October (and later with a small amount of bone mets too). I have been treated with Zoladex (to stop my ovaries producing oestrogen) and Anastrole (to stop my body converting androgens to oestrogen) which both starve the cancer. I also take Denosumab and have had some radiotherapy - both for the bone mets. Anyway, the good news is that my cough stopped within weeks and within a couple of months, the mets in my lungs shrank. I have been having three monthly scans for the last year, and to date, the cancer hasn’t progressed any further.

Hope you get some answers soon - and we’ll be here if you need us.

All the best,

Marion