Silver linings

Cancer and it’s treatments is no picnic, as many of us hear know. Many of us will feel unwell, low, or wonder how we will get through it (we will!). But one thing that’s helped me is to look at my life and think of the good or positive things around me, or of this experience itself. I thought it would be nice to share some of these and hear from others about anyting positive you’ve felt has come out of going through this process. Every cloud has a silver lining!
My positives:

• The NHS - I wouldn’t be able to afford to be treated for cancer if I had to pay for each treatment. I’m so thankful for that.
  • Having cancer has made me reassess my life and brought home the fact that my life is finite. This really motivated me to do something I always wanted to do, but never had enough motivation to get up and do before - start my own business. It has also made me slow down in life a bit and not worry about little things which really are not important.

Bumping into latest posts

Good for you Helm in starting your own business. I hope it goes from strength to strength as do you.
NHS - I have a brilliant Consultant, who has an equally brilliant team. They gave me such wonderful care and attention along with the nursing staff whilst on the ward and the aftercare is the same.
BREAST CANCER - I wasn’t shocked/nervous/frightened etc when I was first diagnosed. Being a “matter of fact” person, I just went into organising mode. My breast cancer has responded well to treatment and I consider myself a lot luckier than many others who are on a cancer journey. I don’t and never have let my breast cancer get me down and I hope this continues. I often make funny comments regarding it and I suppose this is my way of dealing with it.
LIFE IN GENERAL - I’m back at work full time now and actually missed work when I was off sick. Next step is to start decorating the house from top to bottom (should have been started about this time last year, but my breast cancer put that on hold). My son and his fiancee are getting married in 2015 and I have every intention of being there in person (not in spirit).
Like you Helm I have slowed down a bit in life and rather than help other people all the time with whatever dilema they have, I just say no…and never feel guilty about doing so!

Hi all,
This is a good idea.
Firstly, having lost my hair I discovered, when it started to grow back, that I really liked short hair. I’d been a bit of a slave to my hair prior to treatment and now I have so much more time! I am also told that it suits me better too!
The second benefit is that, having had to have quite a lot of time off work I was able to spend so much more time with my wonderful little grand-daughter. I wouldn’t have missed that time for the world. She was my therapy.
The third is that, having been quite a driven career person, I adjusted my whole perspective and decided to take early retirement. This has been so nice so far and my husband and I have found a new way of life which is so much less stressful. He suffered high blood pressure and now it’s fine so who knows what would have happened to him if we hadn’t slowed down.
Jan
x

Great thread

NHS - absolutely! I had fantastic care, still do.
BCNs - mine was and is fabulous
friends - I found some came out of the woodwork and I felt so loved, that that in itself was healing and humbling
sense of priorities/what’s important - I seldom get phased by trivial things any more
“learning that I need to look after me and be gentle with me” is a huge gift…
this website! Kept me sane and gave me laughs as well as valuable information and advice

Jane