Skin problems post DIEP flap

Hello ladies, 

I’m hoping someone out there can give me some advice. I had double mastectomy with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction carried out in early December last year. Had a few post op problems, and I have been left with fat necrosis. The other problem I have is that I seem to leak yellow fluid from my scar tissue on both breasts. Originally, it was only the left breast (that’s the baddie which had cancer in it treated with WLE, chemo then rads) that was affected, but now both breasts are at it and it’s driving me nuts!! The skin is red and flaky around the scar tissue of both flaps, and despite constant moisturising, it just won’t heal. When I use steroid cream, it clears up for a while, then off it goes again. Don’t want to keep using the steroid cream because it’s pretty strong and thins out my skin and as you will all know, post rads skin is pretty thin anyway. Is there anyone out there who has had a similar experience? Perhaps I am being a bit hasty in expecting l wounds to be healed 5 months post surgery? Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Big hugs to all Ann X X 

Hi Weeannie1, 

I am sorry you are going through this uncomfortable time and I am sure some of our users will be along soon to show their support and share any similar experiences they have had.

You may want to take a look at our Recovering after surgerypage for more information. 

In the meantime please do call our helpline at 0808 800 6000 who will be able to talk to you about the wounds you have had after surgery and have a friendly chat.  The opening times are below.

Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm
Late opening Monday and Wednesday 5pm-7pm,
Saturday, 9am-1pm

Best wishes, 

Lizzy 

Was your steroid cream prescribed for you,and what moisturiser are you using.They should make it worse.Sounds as if you should be having dry dressing on,or silver applied,or even kaltostat or Inadine dressings.Have you seen your breast care nurse or practiced nurse at your surged? should be healed by now…more questions than answers,but I had huge healing issues and also a community nurse,hugs.???

Hi Weeannie1. Sorry to hear you’re still having issues. I’ve had massive problems and haven’t yet been able to start chemo. Hopefully next week when I’ll be 12 weeks almost post op. I’ve has a Pico dressing put on. It’s a negative pressure dressing and sounds like it would help. Ring your BCN and ask to be seen xc

Thank you so much ladies for taking the time to answer my thread. The steroid cream I am on is called Elocon and was prescribed by an NHS dermatologist when my skin wouldn’t heal post rads. I also use E45 moisturising cream three times daily as directed by the dressings clinic. They advised that I try to use the same moisturising cream all the time to prevent adverse reactions caused by different brands. I have always suffered from sensitive skin and had quite a bad reaction to all the surgical dressings they had to use post op. I will be seeing my plastic surgeon in a couple of weeks for a check up, but don’t think I can hang on that long before getting some sort of help. Have had  enough of hospitals to last me a lifetime, but I think I will phone my GP to see if she can give me some advice. Just don’t want to end up back at the dreaded breast clinic again. Thanks again Jill for your advice and i hope that you are fully healed now. Many thanks to you too Bottyboo and I hope that you heal up and can start your chemo as soon as possible.

Ann X X 

Hi there. I am 10 days out from a double diep. I am doing well except for two small things. I will need a skin graft to repair a small patch of failing skin under the right breast, the one I had removed prophylactically. No big deal, we keep dressing it with flamazine. That will be done as daycare. I am interested in your post because of the redness/flakiness you experienced under one breast. In my case it is at the side of my delayed reconstruction breast, the one I had badly burned during rads. It is hot, five degrees warmer that the other side. So far no weeping or anything obvious. It is just bright red and hot. I tried cortisome cream but like you dont want to thin this delicate skin. I am on my third lot of antibiotics and nothing is helping. What sorted things out for you. Any advice?

cheers Vicki