Sleep or lack of it!

Hi

I am having real trouble getting any rest at all. When I sit down or lie down I start shaking and it won’t stop. Has anyone else experienced this and when will it stop. I think it is adreneline due to the shock but I am finding it hard to eat very much too. Is this normal?

Viv.

Hi Viv

It sounds like you are in shock which is perfectly normal. You have had your world turned upside down. You have just been told you have breast cancer and you are trying to get your head around this, plus work out which is the best hospital for you etc etc. As you say it is the adrenaline because of the shock. Your eating and sleeping will be highly affected. Eat well when you feel like it and sleep when tired. This forum is brilliant because in the middle of the night when you cant sleep because of worry, there will be someone else here to talk to. It will most definitely get better as you get more used to the idea. These are early days so be kind to yourself.

Cathy
x

Sorry to hear that you are not able to relax. It’s a major shock to be told that you have BC and it affects veryone in different ways. As Cathy says eat what you can when you can and try to get some rest. Good luck with your treatment.

Hi Viv

So sorry you can’t rest. It is completely normal - your mind is in turmoil and you are ‘in flight or fight’ mode with the adreneline. The enormity of what you have just been told is bound to overwhelm you. Have you got someone to talk to? I find just ‘talking’ on here helps me (diagnosed 22 May).

I am sure others will help about the sleeping/rest as I just flop exhausted into bed at the moment. But I know others take pills to help - I am sure your Breast Cancer Nurse will be able to advise you.

It will get better!

Jo xx

Hi Viv,

I’m glad to see that your fellow forum users are giving you some much needed support.

As a newly diagnosed patient, you may be interested in BCC’s Resource Pack for the newly diagnosed it’s full of useful information to help you understand your diagnosis and treatment. The pack is free and you can order one by using the following link:

breastcancercare.org.uk/content.php?page_id=7514

I hope this helps. Kind regards,
Jo, Facilitator

Don’t know if it’ll help you, I didn’t want to take more pills, but I found listening to radio plays and audio books on an mp3 player really helped distract me at night when I couldn’t sleep, ithe shock panic is a really hard stage but it passes, honest
huge hugs Valx

Hi Viv,
This is very normal, I suffered this when diagnosed, I went to my GP who prescribed a mild sleeping tablet and some tranquilisers…I think it is because of the shock of diagnosis of cancer…the fear…the uncertainty of what the future holds…worry of what your treatment plan is…its a mixture of emotions and fears, I too found it impossible to eat…I always do when I am worried/anxious…I also sit and shake…but please do talk to your GP or BCN because they can help you…it doesn’t have to be a long term thing I realise some people would prefer not to turn to medication…but maybe it could can help.

Take care
karen x

Hi Vivien,

The way your feeling is quite normal when you’ve been dx with BC. I was exactly the same, couldn’t eat, sleep, think, focus or concentrate and my stomach was holding all the stress and anxiety. I was like a rocking horse. I then went to the doctors and was prescribed some diazapam which just took the edge of things.

If things don’t improve may i suggest you visit your GP to get some advise, support or mild tablets to help you deal with the shock you’ve received, or speak to your BC nurse to see what alternative therapy the hospital may offer you to help.

Be stong hon and don’t let this get the better of you. I know easier said than done as i think alot of us have been there but you will find strength to fight it .

Hugs
Sukes

HI Viv

When I was diagnosed about 6 weeks ago I went straight to the doctors after the first night as it was so terrible, she gave me sleeping pills which were great for getting me off to sleep but I did wake in the night with BC on my mind but I was getting some rest. I will get better. I have now had my op and am waiting to start chemo therepy soon and I sleep like a baby. We all know what you are going through please be assured it will get better

Best wishes

Debs x

I used to stay awake for hours and also became very familiar with the dawn chorus. I would get up and watch programmes on TV, it’s surprising what’s on in the middle of the night

I do sleep better now but I did go to the emergency doctor when the news sunk in. I was particularly upset by the idea of surgery which I think is mutilating - I still do after five years.

Mole

Hi everyone

I am so touched by all your kind and helpful comments. I did speak to a doctor last night over the phone who reassured me that what I was experiencing was a normal reaction and I did get some sleep. Its good to get lots of different perspectives and to know that I am not alone. I do have a wonderful husband to talk to but he’s in shock too and it helps to share with others going through similar emotions. Its an emotional rollercoaster that I have to get used to.

Thanks again.

Viv. x