Sleeping uncomfortable bone mets

Hi ladies ,
I’m after some advice, I have bone mets to my spine , hips , ribs and sternum . Lately I cannot sleep or get comfy unless I’m laid on my back , if I turn in my sleep my hip mets dig into the mattress and cause a lot of pain.
Does anyone use any padding or a type of mattress to relive the pain ,
Charlotte dx Dec 15 breast cancer spread straight to bone on herceptin , expenstane , zoladex , denosunab

Hi,

I have the same problem. I  have now got a mattress topper which gives some extra padding/softness and does make sleeping on my back more comfortable. I  can still only lie on my side for a few minutes at a time though so have just had to get used to back sleeping - doesn’t help the snoring! You may find the added padding helps, I  hope so xx

Hi Angelmum,
I have mets in pelvis, spine and hips and, like you, I can only sleep on my back. I can’t afford an expensive mattress and I’m scared I would end up wasting my money by buying an unsuitable one anyway.
I have a memory foam matress topper on top of my old mattress and I sleep with a high tog quilt underneath me instead of a sheet. I found I had to have a quilt under me as well as memory foam topper as I Iwas getting pressure on heels and base of spine and was scared sores might develop.
You can also get an inflatable ‘repose’ matress that is sort of like a lilo that goes on top of your own mattress. This is helpful if you are at high risk of developing pressure sores. xxx

Meant to say that I’m the same as Julie in that even with mattress topper etc I can’t sleep on my side but they do make sleeping on my back much more comfortable. xxx

Hello ladies
Like everyone …I have a mattress topper …love it. I have hip Mets too and also a femur pin so i have three bolts so i can’t lay on my left side and the right side causes pressure too.
It’s a new way of life …sleeping on your back but you sort of get used to it !! Sometimes it helps to try to lay on one side with a pillow between knees to improve pressure …
Hugs

Hi everyone…may try that mattress topper, thank you.

just wanted to say, Angelmum, that I have the same problems and my chiroptactor suggested sleeping with a pillow between my knees…and this seems to do the trick re my hips…I think it kinda levels the leg just that little bit, so that the bone sits in a slightly different position on the mattress,  anyway, I was getting a lot of sciatica and thought it was due to the mets, but as its better with the pillow, it probably isnt.

best of luck with the hips

Moijanxx 

Moijan
The mattress topper will b the best money ever spent …I have done all the beds in the house with them now.
The memory foam ones are good but make sure its a minimum of two inches deep …about £25 For a double bed on e bay or Amazon. The feather ones are more expensive and haven’t tried them but would b cooler !!

Oh, sorry Carolyn, I just saw you mentioned the pillow too. But glad you find it useful. Incidentally, my chiro also said that if I wanted to sleep on my back, putting the pillow under my knees would help my comfort. I gues its all trial and error…so sorry to hear about the bits of ‘lego’ in your hip tho,xx

hugs

Moijan?

Thanks Carloyn

our messages crossed? i will try to persude my other half to go half’s!

hugsmoijanxx

Moijan
Just tell him he might just get lucky if you are more comfy !! Ha ha
He will produce the cash within seconds !!
XXXX

Carolyn, what are you!!! dont know wat we’d do without your humour.

Since i had my pleural effusion and electrochemo i have had the bed to myself as i find it so difficult to sleep and spread right across. I have a memory foam mattress (makes you very hot) and have had to sleep on my back for so long have tried just about everything…pillow under legs and between legs for the few minutes i am able to turn on my side. This is due more to skin mets than bone though, but it does work. x

Well, thats an idea, but I too like sleeping alone just now!!

?Moijanxx

Hi ladies

Thanks for the advice I can’t remember the last full night sleep I had what with pin in femur and cement in back can’t get comfy at all , doc gave me sleeping tablets but don’t wAnt to take them all time

Karen xxxx

To b honest ladies …I find the old fashion way the best when achy …hot water bottle every time. The heat pads also work well too.
Xxx