Small lump grade 2 and DCIS

Hi everyone I have a lump grade 2 very small and DCIS so they have said a mastectomy … They don’t think it is in my lymph nodes but how can they tell that before surgery ? Worried sick xx

Hi Milly did you have an ultrasound scan? I did and they said they can usually tell due to swelling. Xxx

Hi Milly, so sorry you’ve had to join our horrible club but the members are all lovely and incredibly supportive, just keep on posting whenever you have any questions or need a listening ear.

I was diagnosed with a small 14mm invasive ductal tumour and my axillary lymph nodes had been swollen for months but the lymph node biopsy came back clear.  I think everyone was surprised by that, especially me, and when I had an MRI scan a few weeks later they said to do another biopsy of the nodes as they were so swollen, and again it came back clear.

I had my surgery three weeks ago and was so lucky that they removed all the cancer at the first attempt (turned out the tumour was only 9mm but the 4mm surrounding it were DCIS) and the lymph nodes were still clear despite being so swollen for ages.

So, I totally get why you are so worried but I think it’s unlikely that your doctors would let you think your nodes were clear if they didn’t think that was the case, they tend be cautious in what they tell us.

xx

Sharon

Hi Milly, so sorry you’ve had to join us, being newly diagnosed is one of the worst times, your mind goes into overdrive. In answer to your question i was told my lymph nodes were clear on ultrasound but the sentinel node biopsy showed a micromet on one node 0.4 mm so far too small to show on a scan, i then had a full axillary node clearance (the rest of my nodes were clear), chemo and radio. I don’t consider myself unlucky, i think I’m very lucky it was found, and very lucky that I’ve had the best possible treatment, i was borderline for chemo but it was a no brainer for me, it only takes one rogue cell doesn’t it. Also your medical team won’t know the full pathology until you’ve had your surgery, the grade, size and receptor status often changes from the biopsy as the sample is too small to show the full picture. It’s a horrible horrible time, but once you have your full pathology and know your treatment plan you will start to feel calmer and more in control. I am 3 years down the line, it does get better. Take care CC x