Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smear test

16 REPLIES 16
funnyface
Community Champion

Re: Smear test

Belinda..I'm laughing at that daring life you're leading...thinking of speeding, keeping library books, mixing recycling! Go for it!!

funnyface
Community Champion

Ignoring this too...also ignoring colonoscopy too...head in the sand approach...I don't want to deal with anything else!! Enough is enough! 

Choock

I recently had a smear test. I think if we are lucky enough to have a health system we should use it!
I do know what you mean about being over medicalised! It's like...'anything, else you want to prod,poke,scan...really' ....but I would get it done.
X
nicky08
Community Champion

You rascal 😉
Nicky x
Ps will be in touch

belinda

Ah yes you are quite right Nicky.
I haven't had a smear since diagnosis, just feel so over medicalised...is that a word? 🙂 Throwing all caution to the wind. I was so good, sensible and healthy before this. I don't of course but often feel like gently speeding on lovely open roads, keeping my favourite library books, mixing all my recycling bins up even. 🙂
nicky08
Community Champion

Hi Belinda 🙂
That's a good point but I suppose the smear test is really used to show pre cancerous cells which probably means there wouldn't be anything significant enough to show up on say a CT scan at that point.
Nicky x

Milo1

I agree with the other ladies, told my GP did not want any other invasive procedures of any sort, he was fine with my decision and said he understood 🙂

belinda

My thinking was if anything was there it would show up on any scan we have?
JulieD
Community Champion

Got a letter last week, haven't done anything yet but I guess if treatments are different we'd be treated for both cancers (should any of us be unlucky enough to have both!)so probably should have it done as yes, I plan to be around for a good while yet!
helen44

I went for my smear test in July -was told by my GP that I should. Very uncomfortable experience but came back normal which was a relief and I did feel better for going.
Helen x
Bevlaar

Think I'll ask onc at next appt on 24th. Will be interesting to hear his opinion. Thing is..i'm hoping like all of you that I'll still be here in 10 years!

Thanks Nicky for the info. On that basis then i should get it done. I was just concerned about the chemo thing.
Love bev xxx
nicky08
Community Champion

Hi ladies
I asked my 'designated' GP - you know, the one that handles our careplan 😉 - about this as I have ignored my letter since earlier this year, having been on Capecitabine for 18 months. She said that I should get it done as the chemo used to treat cervical cancer would be different to that used to treat breast cancer. I have the same reasons as all of you about not wanting to get it done, ouch!
However, in the interests of science, and to throw my oncologist a curve ball, I will ask when I go to my appointment next week, along with my long shopping list for pharmacy to help with the SEs of my latest chemo 🙂 Hey, maybe this one will treat both then I won't have to have the 'uncomfortable' smear test done.
Nicky x

2catlady

Ignored mine too xx
belinda

Ignored mine too. X
bc-lass

I ignored my letter Bev.

SDP

to be honest .. with the effects of all the medication, I think it would be virtually impossible to do one on me anyway. A few ladies at my hospital have been sent for them and they can't understand it either! xxx

Bevlaar

Smear test

Hi ladies.....i had a letter in early August asking me to make an appt at my surgery for my smear test. I havent done anything about it yet....to be blunt, wondered if it was worth it? They couldnt give me any more chemo if they found anything.
Any advice?
Bev xxxxx