Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So confused, change of plan again!

3 REPLIES 3
mary32

Re: So confused, change of plan again!

Hi Brewster

I had a different dx from you, however I had bleeding through the dressing after snb. I phoned the hopsital and they said pop over where they had a quick check to make sure all was ok then popped on a new dressing.

About the change of plans, all I can suggest is talk to someone on the team, your bcn maybe to get an understanding of why they have changed their minds. I always found that if I understood the rationale behind treatment decisions I was much happier.

Take care.

Mary

Brewster

Thanks for your reply Em. Going to change the dressing tomorrow. Once I get the sentinel node results next week i then hope to get a clear plan at last. Just need something to happen xxx
emilysss

Hi Brewster

I don't have triple negative like you, but I have had my plan changed and know how confusing that can be. I have IDC with positive lymph nodes and was told chemo first. Had appointments made for PICC line and first chemo, then the day before the line was inserted I saw the oncologist and he said he wanted me to see the surgeon again. After that they decided surgery first, so I had WLE and ANC 2 weeks ago. By that point I just wanted it out of me so didn't mind having surgery first, but I was confused as I thought that if lymph nodes were positive then it would be chemo first. I'm not sure if there is some reasoning behind the decisions that I don't know about, or whether more depends just on local practice and the decision of the MDT involved?

After my op the district nurse came each day to check dressings etc. I don't know if it's the same for SNB but it might be worth giving your GP a ring? If it has been bleeding a lot then it wouldn't hurt for someone to take a look I should think.

I know that having your plan changed is horrible, but having negative nodes would be good news. If you feel strongly about having chemo first then your team should listen to you and take your wishes into account, even if its just to explain why that isn't the best plan. Maybe ring your BCN and talk things over with her?

Take care,

Emxx

Brewster

So confused, change of plan again!

I have Grade 2/3 TNBC. Diagnosed 9 October . Planned for surgery followed by chemo. Then plan changed to chemo first and then double mastectomy. Now had sentinel lymph nodes done yesterday and they are now saying if lymph node negative back to surgery first!! Can anyone else talk me through rationale for this and why surgery first when it's TNBC ?? Thnaks. Also can anyone advise when they changed their dressing from the node biopsies, my have obvioulsy bled a lot and dressing fully soaked, can I change it .. ? Thanks xxx