So much sorrow

She was with me before dx, throughout treatment - chemo, surgery, rads, more chemo, more rads, more surgery. She always listened to me, never criticised, only ever offered me her friendship and loyalty.

My beautiful, beautiful Golden Retriever had to be put to sleep last night and I’m utterly devastated. I was with her to the very end, showing her my love, friendship and loyalty.

RIP, Anna.

Mummy xx

ah… sorry to hear this, I have 2 cats (theyre 13 this year!) and can sympathise a lot, as zippy and georgie! always seem to understand more than anyone when im in need of some love and attention…

think you gotta think to yourself it was for Annas best interest to be put to sleep you wouldn want her suffering…altho i do understand and know its hard to deal with that thought right now…

take care of you…

xx

I too am so so sorry to hear this and have a tear in my eye right now. Being a mummy myself to 2 gorgeous cavalier’s I can only imagine how terribly sad you’re feeling right now because I know I would be inconsolable if I had to have either of my girls put to sleep.

I am truly gutted for you. All I can say is at least you were with your darling Anna right 'til the very end, something which I’ve no doubt she was grateful for.

Words seem so inadequate right now, thinking of you at this very sad time,

R.I.P Anna, good night and god bless,

Kelly
-x-

Oh Granny Scouse, I so sympathise with you
I have dog called Chloe. Shes 16 now and on her last legs. She is blind, deaf, arthritic and really struggles to get around. She spends most of her time sleeping. But she has always been a constant support to me when I have been down both before, during and after treatment. I have had her since she was 4 and she came to me as a cruelty case suffering from extreme neglect. She is now part of the family and I will be devastated when she goes which sadly i know will not be long now

Thinking of you

xx Jools

GrannyScouse,

My sympathies are with you. We had our black lab put down two weeks before Christmas, just one week after I finished herceptin. I feel I had two whole years of cancer trauma - my mum died of an unknown cancer in Jan 07, I was dx in Feb 07, I finished herceptin Dec 08 then my dog died of cancer one week later. I was desperate for her to last into the new year, but it wasn’t to be.

I am still looking for her when I come downstairs in the morning, and there is no-one to give the meat scraps & bones to.

xx

Isn’t it amazing how much we rely on our animal friends to get us through our treatments. My beautiful cocker spaniel is almost 12 and not in the best of health but she gets along and the thought of her not being with me much longer fills me with dread.

We must have about 300 pictures of her on the computer and they still make me laugh when I look at them cos some of them are so comical.

I am so sorry for your loss Granny Scouse and RoadRunner and will give Molly an extra big hug when I get home tonight.

AJxxx

This is such a sad post, not really much I can say nothing will help. Anna was lucky to have a lovely life with people who looked after her and a mummy who truly cared.
Oscar and Emmy my two westies are sending you big licks.
Love Debsxxx

I am so sorry, I have dogs and they are all that stand between me and despair on many days. I know how you feel and nothing can make this better, Anna is at the Rainbow Brige now, she is healthy and happy as we will all be again one day, and she is waiting until you meet again.

The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together…

Author unknown.

Thinking of you

Nikki

I am so sorry to hear about your lovely dog. Animals are such a comfort. They do not judge or ask awkward questions and are always there for you however ill or unhappy you are. i don’t know what I would have done without my little white cat over the last year. I had bc, my dad died and my partner has been very ill so the cat was my comfort and companion in those lonely, sad nights. Take care Granny Scouse

Rach

I am an animal person and so understand your devastation. You must be gutted. An animal leaves such a hole in our lives.
Thinking of you with love and understanding.
Linda

So sorry,
I had to have my beloved Cleo (cat) put down last year she was 16 and I had had her since she was 6months old.

It is utterly devestating…

I will be thinking of you.

Ruth

o granny scouse I am so so sorry to hear about anna you must be in a terrible state they are so loyal to us our dog when I was so ill going through my mastectomy then chemo my wee Ben was always there by my side he didnt mind having his face all wet with all the tears I cried he use to lie by my side in bed like he knew I was ill and never left left me once. He is a little Jack Russell he is 6 now he must know I feel well again as he barks for his walk every day now and I go hale rain or snow I feel so sad for you there are no words anyone can say to you what will make you feel any better god bless please take care Linbob xxxx

Aww. It’s so hard isn’t it. Had to put our cat to sleep about 2 weeks after I was diagnosed last year… here’s a tip. Just let it all out.

Hugs to youand RIP Anna, hope there’s a big juicy bone where ever you are now.

Oh Granny Scouse bless you. Your post bought a tear to my eye. Losing a pet is such a hard thing. We lost both of our elderley labradors within a week if each other last Christmas, both had to be put down for different illnesses and it was devastating, to loose them both was a double whammy. I’m sure Anna is still with you in Spirit and will never leave you. We still talk about our 2 all the time and they sit in a photo frame on the kitchen window sill so they still feel like part of the family.

We now have a new 2yr old from labrador rescue and she is such a tinker. Certainly keeps us all smiling and entertained through difficult times.

Sending you a BIG hug Xxxxxx

Hi granny scouse i have just read your post and i an so sorry about Anna , i lost my susie 14 years ago and my heart is stll broke , also my sandie when i moved to Southport 6 years ago , they would have been a blessing to me now i have breast cancer some thing to love and stroke , never asking any thing of you and just let you waffle on and on . My husband is so good but there is somthing about the love of a pet that is so diffrent,

The poem i have just read called Rainbow Bridge was lovely of course made me cry, but it all so made me feel better knowing one day i will see them again .

So try to be brave the pain lessons so i am told Marie x

Oh Maureen I am so sorry about Anna. Dogs are family aren’t they? I feel so sorry for you. I had my beloved Sophie put down 3 years ago ( cross between Beardie and Labrador and gorgeous) She was only 11 but got … believe it or not … aggressive mammory cancer and we had to have her put down only 3 months after finding the lump. I cried buckets and missed her so much. I know just how you feel. I do now have two more dogs … one a rescue collie and then after Lisa died I got a puppy in September. Like people you can never replace one with another and we didn’t have a dog for about 18 months but there was something definitley missing from our lives with out a dog thats why eventually we took the decision to get another. Then I wanted the puppy to keep me busy after Lisa died … she certainly does!
I really feel for you Maureen … its awful watching them die … I am sure you did everything you could. Hope the tears stop soon …nothing any of us can do except understand. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Lots of love Sue x

Hey GrannyScouse,

It’s awful losing an animal that is part of the family. Have you thought about going out and giving a puppy a home? Hard work, but very rewarding and takes your mind off your loss. Or maybe think about puppy-walking for Guide Dogs For The Blind? My sister’s family did it for four years, raised healthy happy dogs with loads of support from GDB, and the dogs go on to be fantastic friends for visually-impaired people. They only stopped because they decided they wanted their own family dog, and a golden retriever was the one…still going strong 10 years later, although at one point last year, retriever and I were on same steroids, different doses…

Or a cheeky deserving mutt from the local rescue centre who would be overjoyed to have a GrannyScouse look after him/her?

Best,

L

So sorry Granny Scouse - what Anna gave you was so unconditional and they seem to know and empathise without any words - be very kind to yourself - such a loss - sorry , jayne

The Rainbow Bridge has made me cry so here is a story about my Molly that I hope will make you laugh.

Molly is a cocker spaniel so not very tall and when we bought ourselves a new [higher] bed she couldn’t jump on it so had to be lifted on. When I was DX and had surgery including lymph clearance, because my OH works away, he made a box to put by the bed so Molly could step up as I couldnt lift her.

As treatment progressed I had on various occasions home medical visits and each time Molly was put in the kitchen. Firstly the district nurse used the box for her bag when she took the drain out, without question. Then [after a faint following chemo] paramedics used the box to put their bag on, again without question. Then after chemo 4 my GP used the box to put his bag on when I became neutropenic and everytime it happened we giggled to ourselves that no-one ever asked why I had a big wooden box by the bed. We never mentioned it either as we thought they would think it was disgusting having your dog on the bed.

Finally during a further visit from the district nurse someone let Molly out of the kitchen and she came straight upstairs and I said “Oh no here comes Molly, you’re about to discover why I have a big wooden box by the bed”. She looked puzzled, Molly came in and got straight on the bed to my embarrassment but she just laughed and said what a great idea and she was going to get her OH to make one so their dog could get on the bed easier!!!

Maybe we can use this very sad thread to share what must be dozens of funny moments our pets have given us over the years that will make us all smile.

AJxxx

P.S. As I am typing Molly is sitting on the bottom stair [her favourite one] waiting for the postman with her beloved pink squeaky ball [that has sadly recently lost its squeak but she stil loves it]!!!

GrannyScouse
so sorry to see your post,I too lost my beloved GSD a few weeks ago, she saw me through surgery, chemo, rads etc, taking her for her walks kept me going at times and I felt she always understood, I am so sad I could do nothing for her when she needed me (she had cancer too) I do so understand…
erica x