So scared

Hi, i am new to this & just needed to talk to someone. I had my Mammogram 2 weeks ago today & yesterday i received a letter with results. i was so scared when i was opening it and am really scared now. I have been recalled & have to go for another on Wednesday at Winchester hospital. Has anyone out there been througt the same? I feel sick.

Hey there Ruthie, so sorry you are going through this - waiting for resultreally really tough time. Hopefully all will be ok but, just on the off chance the results aren’t what you’re hoping for, then see if you can bring your partner / a friend / family member with you. They can look after you if things get tough - or take you out for a celebratory slice of cake if not! Masses of luck x

Hi Ruthie,

The vast majority of these recalls turn out to be nothing at all. Sometimes it is just because the original mammogram was unclear or blurred in some way, or for technical reasons. Even if it happens that something has shown up, there is nothing to suggest at the moment that this will be cancer. It could be a million other things, so please try not to worry too much. Fill the time in by pampering yourself - chocolate or cream cakes work a treat, some fresh air and walks, and maybe some retail therapy.

I also suggest you take someone reliable with you when you go to the recall appointment, just in case there is something amiss. You will instantly forget most of what is said to you, so an extra pair of ears is essential.

I went through exactly the same thing last December. I was unlucky in that they found a lump that turned out to be cancer, but all the other ladies in the waiting room at the same time as me were sent packing after the mammogram because there was nothing wrong with them.

Good luck.

Hi, just like to give you all an update. I went to Hospital today after my recall & had more mammograms & ultrasound. Since last Friday i have felt like i was living in a bubble, so so scared. Thankfully everything turned out to be absouloutley fine so i do hope this helps anyone out there who is going through the same thing.