Some advice please I'm so scared

I’m new here and very worried,it started last June , lump in left breast and vey veiny boobs,(not pregnant) went in august to breast clinic saw a breast nurse who examined me and sent me for ultrasond on that breast which lasted few mins,they said it was glandular tissue and not to worry, didn’t feel
right,anyway many more visits to gp as under both arms ached with deep palpable node on opposite breast and I could feel a really bumpy area on right breast upper outer area near armpit,went back to breast clinic same nurse examined other breast and sent me again for ultrasound on breast and underarm node, radiologist said breast area fine then scanned node he spent quite a while on it and just said mmmm ! Went back to nurse who said senior clinician wanted to see me he said the mode looked fine and he checked my other nodes neck,groin, and he said because breast looked fine and rest of nodes were ok not to worry. The letter I revived from them in post said node was benign and breast was fibrocystic,sorry for rambling on but now it’s June and I’ve been back to gp a few times with breast pain and a new lump/ridge like feeling in the breast that was last scanned (oct) been referred back to breast clinic but the problem is I’m due to go on holiday in 3 weeks and I don’t want to go breast clinic to be given bad news before my holiday cause it will ruin it ,shall I wait till I get back,I havnt told anyone about this new area cause I think they think it’s all in my head as I’ve had them checked twice plaese advise . I’m a mam of 2 teenagers and a wife,I don’t want to tell my mam cause I don’t want to worry her.sorry for going on :frowning:

Are you having a mammogram this time?  Can’t really understand from what you’ve said why this hasn’t been done before.  Perhaps related to you age? 

If your appointment comes through for before your holiday it is, of course, entirely up to you whether you go or postpone it.  I suppose you need to weigh up whether, if you postpone until after your holiday, will you really be able to relax and enjoy the holiday anyway.  If you have the option to go to an appointment before your holiday it may all be OK and you can go on holiday safe in the knowledge that there’s nothing wrong.  I suppose when you ask the question “shall I wait till I get back” it all depends on what is more important to you - a speedy answer to the question you have about your health or how you may feel on holiday.  Depending on the urgency your GP has attached to your referral, the decision may be made for you anyway, as your appointment may be more than 3 weeks away anyway. 

There’s never a good time to be waiting for/going to hospital appointments/tests.    My breast clinic appointment was 2 weeks before a planned/booked holiday.  We went along (my husband and I) to the hospital and then after the appointment (at which I was immediately diagnosed with invasive breast cancer) we cancelled the holiday which was definitely the right decision as it meant I was available to take a short-notice slot for the surgery.  It was disappointing to lose the holiday but, on reflection, the least of my worries at the time.  Our GP was supportive in signing all the insurance forms for free so we were hardly out of pocket.    

Up to you whether you choose to tell your family/friends what you’re going through.  Personally I told my immediate friends and family beforehand that I had an appontment at the breast clinic and then once diagnosed I told a much wider circle of people.  My mother-in-law kept her diagnosis to herself for YEARS and the rest of the family were left feeling very patronised, disappointed, left out, let down, insulted…  This was also the case with a friend who has teenage children from whom she kept details of her tests and treatment for several weeks, only telling them when she had to start chemo - her kids went ballistic that she hadn’t told them and had thus denied them the opportunity to support her.

I wish you luck with the appointment, whenever it is, hopefully there will be nothing of concern found and you can enjoy the rest of the summer.  Let us know how you get on.       

Thanks for your advice Skinnyminx, they never offered me a mammogram said I was too young so straight for ultrasound, they said it was due to my hormones, the new lump/ridge thing has gone down more now but I’ve started my monthly today,I’m going to see how it is in the next couple of days ,I wouldn’t have thought if it was anything bad it wouldn’t go down,or would it ? Il keep u posted about it, thankyou for taking the time to reply,And I understand what you mean about the holiday x

Hi Nicky
Along with the support you have found here, our helpliners are on hand weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2 on 0808 800 6000 so please feel free to ring to talk your concerns through

Take care
Lucy BCC

Thanks Lucy I’ve booked back in to see gp so she can have a feel of the area now it’s going down,although I’ve already wrote myself off because I keep getting an ache in by back in-between shoulder blades,my mind keeps going into overdrive one min I think well I had ultrasound on that area in oct and they said it was ok so I feel ok for about an hour then the next I think it’s spread to by bones, I can’t snap out of this way of thinking it makes me feel sick, I wish I could change my thinking habits :frowning: x

Thanks Lucy I’m going back to gp today to get her to feel the ridge/ lump as it’s gone down quite a bit but I can’t get out my head that because I keep getting aches between shoulders that it’s spreading I could slap myself sometimes for thinking this way,my head is all over the place,il post back later to let u know what gp says :frowning: