Some advice please

Hi everyone, im 21 and recently one of my breasts has been really itchy, i googled why its itchy and it came up with it can be a symptom of breast cancer. This made me do my first breast check on myself and ive noticed a small hard lump on that breast which im now worried about. I dont want to go to the doctors and waste their time if its nothing but i am worried. My boyfriends mum had breast cancer and she said to go get it looked at straight away… but i dont know what to do as i am embarrassed and dont want to look silly over nothing. Has anyone any advice?

Hello 21worried

Welcome to the forums, this must be a very worrying time for you but you have come to the right place for support from our experienced users who I’m sure will be along to support you soon.

You may also like to talk things through with a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer emotional support as well as practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open again in the morning and normal hours are Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes

June, moderator

21 if all the ladies here worried about going to their GP half of them wouldnt be here now!

at your age its unlikely to be cancer but you need to get it checked out as ‘unlikely’ doesnt mean impossible.

please please go and get it checked.

your not wasting anybodies time… but you could be wasting your own time if you dont go.

huge hugs xxx

Hi,

My advice is … get yourself to the doctor ASAP and don’t let him fob you off. GP’s are not breast experts and have a tendancy to put all breast lumps down to hormones. Indeed, many lumps are just that, but not all. Please ask (and be firm) for a referral to the breast clinic. They are the experts. This forum is full of young women like yourself who either delayed seeing their GP or allowed the GP to fob them off. You are not wasting anybody’s time. You need this assessing by an expert, if for nothing else to put your mind at rest. Your boy friend’s mum is quite right. Maybe she would go with you to the GP?

Good luck xxx

Hello! Im 24 and found my lump last week and had the same thought that its prob nothing and i would just waist Dr time but then when i called my mum she told me that we have history from my dads side i called my Dr straight away.I been now in breast clinic and waiting my results.Its hard because your mind just start thinking all thouse bad thoughts and it will take over your life. What im traying to say that call your GB and let them check it. Its probably is nothing but you can then carrie on with your life.
i wish you all the luck in the world.
xxx

Please go and see your GP in the morning. I totally agree about insisting on getting checked out at a breast clinic, they are fantastic. You will drive yourself nuts with worry if you don’t. Best to get things checked out and will probably be nothing. Good luck!

Hey everyone thankyou all so much for the advice im heading on friday after work so fingers crossed, no point waiting and stressing anymore. I hope its nothing and the doctor can confirm this for me!

Hello again everyone, i visited my GP and have been sent for a mammogram ive become increasingly concerned, or is it nothing to worry about as i dont know what to expect

Hi,
Im 26 and I found a lump back in Jan. Going to the doctors was not an issue to me, i didnt think twice about it. I did find thought that my GP believed it was nothing to worry about as getting cancer so young is very rare. She sent me away for 2 weeks to see if the lump would go away as it may have just been part of the cycle.
Unfortunately for me, it was breast cancer… a very aggressive cancer at that. I’ve just had a lumpectomy and have been told that it has spread to the lymph glands under my arm and due to have further surgery in 2 weeks time.
Please do not worry too much thought… 1 in 10 people who find a lump is actually cancer and 90% of those are over the age of 50. These stats kept me going in the early days when I would worry ‘what if’. I have always been unlucky with my health so dont base my experiance on what will happen to you, im sure you will be fine.
Let us know how you get on and if you want to talk feel free to add me and send me a message. Stay positive x
Amanda