Sometimes I feel 'invisible'.

I should be recovering from a second mastectomy right now but due to the NHS getting everything very wrong, I am sat at home feeling very depressed and unsure what to do next! In short - they sent me to the ‘wrong’ hospital! I was in my gown and chatting to the anaesthatist when the surgeon arrived and said he could not perform my op as there was no after care for me should I need it and mastectomies had not been performed at that hospital for over 4years!  I had breast cancer 10 years ago but have been living a nightmare ever since wondering if it was going to return in my other breast as it did to my sister and sadly took her life, so you see this operation had been given a great deal of thought and planning by myself and my family over years! I have received no apology or explanation. Its as though I don’t exist - have become ‘invisible’ in the NHS’s eyes. Ignore her and she may just go away! I have complained to PALS who say they will investigate but I just cannot get my head around this situation and do not know which way to turn. I’m even now doubting my reasons for having this operation though deep down I know the fear will never go away. Can I put myself through all this preparation again only for something else to go wrong! Feeling invisible and not in control anymore is my new nightmare. 

Hi Helen
It sounds as though you have had a very difficult time, I am sure the support here will help and our helpliners are also on hand with practical and emotional support for you so do feel free to call to talk things through

Lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturdays on 0808 800 6000

Take care
Lucy BCC

Helen, its awful that your op was cancelled at such short notice. We all undersatnd your worries and concerns…hope you get sorted soon. x

Hi Helen,

Just wanted to add my support, that’s inexcusable…

I wouldn’t let it put you off your original decision to have the op…you must have reached that decision for good reason though I do understand wider environment and handling may affect how you feel. Adding unnecessary stress clearly isn’t what you need at such a time.
Hope the hospital have apologised and that the correct hospital is on the case.
Seabreeze