Sore Gums

Hi
My wife had her first AC chemo on Friday 1st Aug so she is on day 9 of her first cycle (she is on AC * 4 / T * 4)

She has developed sore and tender gums. It sounds like sore gums is a realitively common side effect - but can anyone advise us on how long it lasts? - is this something she can expect from now on?

Of course any tips on relief would be great too - she is already using a soft toothbrush (thanks to the Chemo tips thread)

She is currently in hospital as she is neutrapenic - so I am posting on her behalf.

Thanks
Mark

I would recommend getting an aloe vera based toothpaste (such as aloe dent) and a gentle mouthwash such as dentyl (make sure it has no alcohol basically… ouch).

On the first round of FEC chemo I had ulcers, cold sores and sore/bleeding gums. Switched toothpaste and found much improvement within 48 hours.

But she should talk to her chemo nurses too as they may have other goodies that can save her more misery (they are good for that, not just filling you with the drugs in the first place :wink:

Hope she gets home soon

Angie

hi Mark - there is a thread on here suggesting various suggestions - in the chemo bit entiled "sore mouth *which may give you ideas. I’m on aloe vera toothpaste and mouthwash, frozen pineapple chunks straight from freezer - great for relief and Manuka honey.
Hope this helps and that your wife home soon.
Love x

Thanks for the tips - we bought some Aloe Vera toothpaste and it seems to have helped a little.
She also got some gel and mouthwash when she was in hospital.
Neuts back up to a decent level so she is back at home now!
Thanks
Mark

Hi I am a nursing sister undergoing chemo luckily my gums have been fine. We use Gelclair a concentrated oral gel for our patients who are experiencing problems, manufactured by helsinn the ward your wife is in should be able to order this for her easily as it recommended for patients who are receiving chemo / radiotherapy. Good luck.

I have to Aloe Vera TP and Corsodyl Daily. I put Corsodyl Gel on interspace brushes when the soreness starts.

Difflam is also another mouthwash which is great for sore gums etc. You can pick it up from the chemist and it is approx £8 for 300ml. Bit expensive but well worth it.

Anita

Hi - I have had quite a lot of mouth ulcers and sore mouth/lips - aggravated by the fact that I am trying to keep my brace, which I have had for a year - and am damned if i will let cancer mess it up!
I found a couple of things help a lot - for general sore mouth, the good old fashioned Corsydl - the treatment one, not the mouthwash, worked really well. And for actual ulcers, I got some Adcortyl from Boots - its a sort of grainy gel that sticks to the ulcer, and clears them up really well.
Best wishes with it all
Karen x

Hi

Luckily I haven’t had mouth ulcers but I’ve noticed about half way between cycles of FEC I do get very sore gums and teeth. 1st time I though I’d have to go to the dentist - no way! Now realise it does happen each time but only for a day or 2, then they’re back to normal. Hope this helps with what might happen another time. I do use mouthwash during that time and floss but nothing ‘special’.

Nicky