Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sore mouth

10 REPLIES 10
angiepops

Re: Sore mouth

hi ladies

ask about getting DIFFLAM mouthwash from your onc, its amazing. its also very expensive £18 a bottle sothey wont give if you dont ask. Also make sure you havent developed oral thrush, get it checked, it makes your corners of your mouth split and is sore. Good luck all of you, i was in your shoes 2 years ago. just to say, all good now, that will soon be you all.

hugs, angie xx

Codiesue

Hi Rainbow, sorry you have to join us on this journey! Have you just started Tax? I struggled with FEC and had loads of nausea but T has been more managable for me except feeling totally wiped out. I did have bad dose of oral thrush in first week and need prescription fro Nystatin and Fluconazole. Taste started coming back around day12 and now back to normal but due fro No 5 on Wednesday but having a reduced dose due to skin problems on my feet. Ask GP or chemo nurse for something to help your mouth, eating fresh pineapple also helped me. Sue xx 

June_BCC

Hello Rainbow555

Welcome to the forums, this must be a very difficult time for you. 

As well as the support you will receive on the forums we also have a free helpline where you can talk things through with a member of staff who are there to offer emotional support as well as practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

With best wishes

June, moderator

Rainbow555

Hi I've just joined today too, I had chemo no 4 on Monday and my mouth is really sore too it's also the fact that nothing tastes of anything so can't decide what to eat, it's not a good day today for me also feel like been run over by bus!
Have been really positive through my fec chemo but this one is not nice x
Codiesue

Hi Karen, thanks for the tips on sore mouth, I am at the same stage as you 3 x FEC completed and had first T 2 wks ago. My mouth was worse with T so glad of something else to try. I have also had sore feet with blisters and patches of red shiny skin that looks scalded so they are considering delaying next weeks session or reducing dose not happy about either. Good look with your 2nd T, I think some ladies are saying it's a bit easier than the first. Sue xx

Madam

Jules, you WIll be able to do these next few months. Be kind to yourself and rest when you can, even if you cannot sleep! Walk a little and get some fresh air when you can? For someone who had always worked, is is a surreal time being given permission to stop! I have been enjoyed some girly lunches, lots of visits now we are back in the uK with old friends. There are lots of tears and some challenges but you will cope as know that this is fighting this rubbish disease! Losing hair is just NOT good! I found this traumatic and entered a lonely world of not knowing about wigs or scarves and my hair started dropping out on day ten after the first FEC and all gone four days later! I shaved the regs off which took some guts but lively hairdresser and it was better to do that, in between my saviour was a fried taking me to a Maggie's Centre and the loveliest lady there gave me a little pink soft sleep cap, to catch the hair and at least, I had something to put on my head when people rang the door or the children came back from school. From that little bit of help, I saw a wig consultant and just, after weeks of putting it off, ordered two scarves! And that all helped. I now have some re growth but eyelashes and eyebrows are fizzling out! Boo! You can do this! X Karen
Jules1964

Hi Karen
No doubt I will be visiting my Gp quite a lot in the next 6 months so I will write that one down. I've also had two days of gruesome stomach cramps that have had me doubled over in tears. Makes me wonder if I can get through another 5 months of this plus I've got the added bonus of my hair falling out next month!! And there was me thinking I could work in between cycles!!!
Good luck to you too. Jules xx
Madam

Hello ladies, I just joined this forum this morning , cannot sleep! Had fourth chemo yesterday. the raw and sore throat have been a real issue for me me. I was given a moisturising mouthwash called Biotene. For the first three cycles of FEC, I used this and gargled with diluted TCp as well and occasionally salt water and dank a lot of water. Since starting the Docetaxal last month, the mouth was far, far worse and my TCp etc, strategy, which seemed to keep mouth ulcers away was not enough and my mouth and tongue felt ripped and raw and I couldn't face hot drinks or eat toast etc,
Yesterday, they gave me something else to try - Caphosol - two vials to be mixed and gargled.The doctors said there are many options so keep trying and asking. Good luck. Madam, real name : Karen x
Jules1964

Thanks Codisue
I have some cordysol somewhere, but I think it!s for gums! I shall send the other half out for pineapple and tcp (I'm willing to try anything) and I'll have a bash with the salt water.
I used to have a cappuccino every morning, but I can't seem to face that. Hopefully your taste for tea,coffee, etc will return soon. Jules xx
Codiesue

Morning Jules, I had a bad dose of oral thrush last week following my first T. My GP had also given me Nystatin which helped when on FEC but needed more this time so she gave me FLUCONAZOLE. I also gargled with TCP (in water) which I think helped me, Onc said a bit harsh but okay if I could manage it. Downside house stinks of eau de tcp!! Fresh Pineapple helped mouth feel bit cleaner and I used corsodyl mouthwash 3-4 times a day and also tried warm salt water. I envy you still feeling like a cuppa, I have struggled with tea, coffee and any hot drink through every session.I just cannot stand the taste. Sue xx

Jules1964

Sore mouth

Hello ladies
I think I may have seen some threads around this issue, but I can't find them now!
My Dr prescribed Nystatin to me yesterday, but I was wondering if anybody had any other recommendations? I am desperate to drink my morning cuppa without winching at every sip..