Sore swollen hand

Hello

Had WLE in May 08 and 7 nodes removed, then chemo + 30 rads, to 4 areas inc axilla. Have done the exercises religiously. About 2 weeks ago, I started getting a pain, like a bruising sensation all down my affected arm, into the bit that joins your thumb and hand. I thought it was probably some sort of cording. Now the thumb area and area over the first knuckle is swollen. It is spreading,having started at just my thumb.Anyone any idea if this is lymphoedema? I don’t want to go rushing off to my bcn again as have just had a load of scans (happily all clear) and want a rest from hospitals/not to be seen as a total hypochondriac!

Kinden
xx

Hi Kinden,

While you’re waiting for your fellow forum users to reply to you question I have attached the link to one of BCC’s publications, called Reducing the risk of lymphoedema. It explains what lymphoedema is and also gives advice on what to do if you are worried about possible symptoms. Hope it helps.

breastcancercare.org.uk/upload/pdf/Web_Reducing_risk_lymphoedema.pdf

Kind regards,
Kate, Facilitator

Hi Kinden,

I have had the same thumb area to finger swollen and sometimes painful to touch, arm and shoulder ache too. i told mt bcn nurse and surgeon at last check (Had WLE and nodes removed 20th March, 2nd op for clear margins 1st May) I have been referred to lymhodeama clinic going on Tues so I will let you know what they say and if they recommend anything.

love Debs xxx

Thanks Kate and Debs.

It is really bothering me, so I rang my lovely bcn and she’s going to refer me to the lymphoedema nurse today. She said it does sound like lymphoedema. Just when I was thinking that I could put bc to the back of my mind for a bit…

Let me know how you get on at your appointment Debs

Kinden
xx

Debs,

How did you get on at the lympho clinic?

I have an appointment next Thursday, which I am told coudl take up to an hour and a half!

Kinden
x

Well, I got dx today with breast oedema and lymphoedema 11% and feel likel crying about the inconvenience, but am trying to pull myself together and enjoy the sun, knowing there are countless others with a much worse lot than mine.

Have been given a DVD about SLD and various leaflet and will get a glove and sleeve on prescription and then if the breast doesn’t settle down a ‘garment’. Oh the joys!

Hope all are feeling well tonight.

Kinden
x

hi kinden and debs - looks like I’ll be joining you - kinden I have exaactly the same symptoms in my left hand - very tender wrist area and around thumb and index finger, and skin is tight n swollen looking…saw my GP who also works at the hospice and he has referred me to the Lympho clinic. Noticed it flared up before in between chemo sessions so I thought it was related to the chemo itself first, had my final tax 2 wks ago…typical, you get rid of one thing (chemo) and get another…can anyone recommend any specific exercises for hands/wrists?? mary x

Sorry girls I didn’t report back!! The lymphodema nurse said she thought mine was due to a burn I’d had and the rag nails around my thumb!! Just got lots of advice about care and keep doing the exercises!She said if the skin dents like playdough then its a problem!She measured the volume of my arm and it was ok so thats good!
Just keep slapping on the moisturiser!
Sorry to hear you have had more problems Kinden, hope it settles down
love Debs xxx