Soreness after surgery

I had a mastectomy for 3 areas of grade 1 cancers and SNB 2 weeks ago and was under the impression that after a few days I should be able to reduce the painkillers.  Well, that’s not the case!  I am still on the maximum dose of paracetamol and nurofen and need codein at night.  I have a burning sensation and sometimes nasty stabs in the armpit and the wound area, but no sign of infection.  My drain was in for 12 days and the nurses said everything is fine.

Subsequently I hate doing my physio exercises. But I now accompany them with inappropriate finger, hand and tongue gestures which is very satisfactory and helps me get through them… 

Just wondered what other people’s experience is? 

Getting my pathology results tomorrow and feeligng anxious - hoping for good news!

Hi there,

Didnt want to read and run, I do hope all was postive for your results.

I am post WLE of right breast on 26th Oct, so 9 days post op (results 9th Nov) and thought I was doing ok, but i am now experiencing these stabbing pains in my arm pit where lymph nodes were removed and wanted reassurance this was normal…

I have sent a message to my breast nurse for her thoughts.

A

x

My mx was a few years ago but I recall the nasty stabbing pains - made me shout out- which I believe are when the nerves are knitting back together .

I think I took pain killers for three weeks and night time was difficult but putting a pillow under the arm helped so I might have gone on a bit longer than that with painkillers at night, it’s hard to remember. I did the excercises religiously and taking pain killers about half an hour beforehand really helped. It was ages before I felt fit to drive though

It’s rotten waiting to feel better but it will come.

Best wishes.

Good evening ladies.

Today is exactly two weeks since my mastectomy surgery. I have found your comments and experiences very helpful as I was beginning to feel paranoid and confused with these so called after effects.  Thank you for sharing.

My personal experiences so far are I’ll get a day’s grace with bearable pain and discomfort with other days (such as today) with sheer agony despite pill-popping.

<li-spoiler> </li-spoiler>

Fingers cross that tomorrow will be a better day for all of us.

Maureen