Soreness ten days after the surgery

Hi, I had a right mastectomy and node biopsy ten days ago, my (glued ) scar runs from the middle of my chest to round the back curling up under my shoulder blade, the scar itself is not too sore infact its mainly numb, although i am having spasms along it and under it. The main problem i have though is my arm pit, it feels as if i have a very tight elastic band being pulled under it, is this normal?, I have been doing the excercises, and altho the arm raise ones are sore to do (not painfull )i still keep doing them. Any thing else i can do to try and relieve this very tight feeling?

Hi mrsdomino

Sorry I can’t help I had WLE. I’m bumping you up there’ll be someone on here who can help. Always is.

Hope you’ll soon be feeling better.

J x

Thanks for the bump, hopefully someone will be able to help soon.

I think the tight feeling is quite normal after axillary surgery, I felt like that after mine. Doing the exercises really helps in the long run. I had the tightness plus lots of odd prickly/painful sensations down the back of my arm too. I was pretty much back to normal after 7-8 weeks. Once the scar is healed I found very gentle massage of the underarm and arm with bio-oil or a simple moisturiser really helped.
Hope its improving, take care x

Hi Mrsdomino,

I had mx 11 weeks ago and node clearance 7 weeks ago.
Tight feeling in armpit - could be a bit of cording (blocked lymph vessels post clearance and surprisingly common) - I still have it and whilst I could get my arm alongside my ear whilst bent, as soon as i straightened it out, it feels like tight cords pulling from armpit down towards elbow (bit like twanging a guitar too) and I’ve even felt it running down towards my wrist. I can even tap my skin gently with my fingertips and feel the bobbles along the cord just underneath the skin. If this sounds familiar and you’re not currently having physio, get your GP to refer you - they can manipulate the cording out over time eventually, but I’m aware that not everyone gets physio as standard - I did and I’m still having sessions every 3 weeks in between chemo.

Spasms - I had nerve regeneration pain, which felt like being stung by 10 wasps and was unbearable even though the spasms only lasted 10-15 seconds each time, and thankfully only continued for about a week.

In the meantime, keep doing the exercises even though the pulling may be restricting you, but don’t overdo it. Hopefully you’ve had advice about not carrying heavy bags, only stroking ‘bad arm’ in upwards motion towards armpit, insect repellent etc etc.

Hope this helps,
Bev

Thanks clem and bev for your replies, they have helped. I’m not feeling quite as sore the last 2 days, still got a ‘short arm’ tho, like you bev i can’t get my arm straight up next to my ear, almost but not quite, I have to say tho that it’s not as tight as it was, but still feels very odd. I did have a ‘moment’ the other day when i tried to put a glass in the cupboard (2nd shelf )and found no matter how i tried i just couldn’t get my arm up there, that made me cry, more frustration than anything else i think. As for physio, no, not seen one of those yet, but i will next tuesday when i go back for my results, and my fitting. To have something with some normalish weight inside my bra will be nice, i might feel a bit more balanced then. Take care both of you, xx

hiya ladies , i had node removal a week ago , saw bcn today and told her of the horrible pain in my armpit , completely normal she said as nerves regenerating and to keep on with pain relief when needed, unfortunatly i have developed seroma and am constantly reminded of my pregnancies with the tenderness , doing my exercises which i find fine , just that bloody horrible stinging sensation that has me pulling at my sleeves to try and alleviate it , i have also noticed that if i wear a sports bra it really helps xxxx