Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

South Wales

45 REPLIES 45
Highlighted

Re: South Wales

Hi all,

I'm based just outside Cardiff. Was diagnosed July 2014 - had SNB, WLE, rads and am now on tamoxifen. Having major struggle with fatigue - caused partly by tamoxifen and partly by hysterectomy I ended up having because of tamoxifen SEs. I work pretty much full time as a primary teacher. I've been seeing a psychologist at Velindrre to help deal with the fatigue and she has suggested joining a support group as the fatigue is making me feel pretty isolated. I've looked into a fair few in the area but they all seem to meet during the day which I can't do. Anyone know any groups that meet in the evening? I'm 45 so it would be good to meet with women of a similar age who are trying to work and cope with breast cancer fall out.

Thanks

Highlighted

Hi midori , im in Barry ,diagnosed 6 weeks ago surgery 4 weeks ago ,had a WLE and SNB , waiting to see oncologist next week for next part of the plan . My nodes were neg and my margins clear so will def need radiotherapy and poss meds, but need to discuss and make plans. This is the worst time for you and I'm sure it feels so surreal , the waiting for results, action plans and surgery is the worst time , once you know what's happening and have your surgery you will feel so much better, all I can say at the moment is take it one day at a time, don't google , stay on this website where the ladies are so supportive and understand what you are going through , trust the professionals they do know best, remember this is very curable and you will beat it , things may seem tough at the mo but it will get better and once you get over this blip in your life you will move on and back to the normal life that at the mo you probably feel will never happen , it will . Use the site to offload anything you are worrying about so many of us here to support you, a lot of the girls are going through chemo too and can help you after your surgery , take care sending you loads of hugs Jayne xxxx
Highlighted

Anyone nearby to Chepstow or Newport?

Got diagnosed yesterday and it still seems a bit unreal!  Surgery in 2 weeks then chemo, but I feel a bit in limbo over what's really coming after the surgery is done...

Lovely to meet you all, wish it was under better circumstances 🙂

Highlighted

Hi Nellie I am from just outside abergavenny 🙂 I finished chemo in January and rads the end of February. If I can be of any help to you I'm more than happy to help
Highlighted

Any one from the abergavenny monmouth area?  I am halfway through chemo but am finding the taxotare much worse than the fec.  Also worried about travelling to Velindra for 4 weeks for radio - and was looking for local people to hook up with and possible share lifts and experiences.

Highlighted

Anyone from Blackwood area

Highlighted

Just re-read the posts and see that you are being treated in Nevil Hall just down the road from me, I had chemo there finished end of March, then had 20 rounds of radiotherapy at Velindre - they are fantastic there, not sure if you have started chemo but good luck!!!! by the end of mine i was glad that I was out of the windsor suite they are lovely there but I had had enough by the end of it Smiley Tongue 

Highlighted

I have been to the Haven in Hereford a couple of times but apart from that I have not been to any other meetings, off now on friday to the one in cardiff Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Hi Teal

You must live very close to me . Have you attended any other meetings any closer to home?

Sarah

Highlighted

i live 5 miles from Abergavenny in Monmouthshire Smiley Very Happy am planning on attending the cardiff forum in a couple of weeks 

Highlighted

Thank you Lucy that explains it - I was beginning to think I was going mad lol 😄
Sarah
Highlighted

Hi Sarah

Until you are in unmoderated status the private messaging won't work

Best wishes

Lucy

Highlighted

Cinderssarah, I can only echo what you say about the care we received in a great hospital with brilliant staff.
You sound like me, as I like to know what's what. I'm one off those matter of fact people.
Give your BCN a ring tomorrow and she what she says regarding your Onc's appointment.
I'll check tomorrow to see if you have been able to PM me.
Kiz
Highlighted

Thanks Jo i'm not worried about the time delay of my posts, I appreciate the need for moderating. However I seem unable to private message anyone - can you help wth this?
Many thanks Sarah
Highlighted

Hi Sarah

I have looked at your account and there was a slight problem which I have rectified, but as a new user the first few posts you make will be read and approved by a moderator before going live on the forums. We do this just to make sure new users are posting in the right place for the best support and to weed out any spam posters. So please don't worry if there's a time delay as us moderators work on a shift system.

Kind regards,

Jo, Moderator

Highlighted

Oyster,
I've tried messaging Lols too but its the same for her too so I think its likely to be something to do with me not you, I wonder if it maybe something to do with the new look forum.
What i was going to say to you was my treatment has been second to none and so unbelievably organised and I guess thats why I am like a fish out of water with a date for the oncologist - I am a person who likes to know whats what lol. I have decided I will give the BCN a ring tomorrow and ask when the appointment is likey to be and that will satisfy my anxieties. I think we are ucky to be treated in a great hospital with fabulous staff 😄
Sarah
Highlighted

Cinderssarah - Afraid I can't help you in how to get a PM to me. Not sure why the message part has gone from under my photo. Maybe the mods could check that for you.
Kiz
Highlighted

Hi ladies i live in caerphilly and just joined on here today xx
Highlighted

Sorry for the spelling predicted text
Highlighted

HI Ladies, I'm from swansea but been having my treatmenI at velindre had a double masectomy tops op was in march finished chemo December only had 4 as I was very ill, starting to feel normal again (slowly) hair growing nut need to loose my chemo weight
Highlighted

Evening Ladies, can I join in? I do not live in Wales have my Dad is welsh and I have a very welsh name, does that count???? I was diagnosed with secondaries multiple bone mets on 1st August having only started this whole process end of May, so a whirlwind and am still struggling to come to terms with everything and it is humbling to hear so many positivities from some of you. I am still part of The Maisie's Amazing August Group as was hoping to have chemo with all the ladies this month and unfortunately this is not to be but I hope I will be able to move on soon and accept where I am and hope and pray I can continue to draw from the inspirations of so many so Thank you for that. Xxx
Highlighted

Laura I have messaged you! Pam

Highlighted

Hi Pam, Herbgarden. I am seeing my onc there on 6th Sept so thought I'd ask him about it then. I don't think I am allowed to name him , but he is young and tall! What mets do you have and was your oncologist positive about it? I have stable bone mets and (now) stable liver mets.laura xxx

Highlighted

Thanks for the help but i went to her profile and there was no sign so i've just looked again and no sign of the word message or anything similar. I just tried it on your profile Lols and there was nothing there either. Is there something I need to alter on my account as i'm new to this ??
Highlighted

Hi cindersarah if you click on oysters picture by her post it will take you to her profile under oysters picture click on think it says send message and it goes to where you need to type and post x
Highlighted

Oyster, would love to reply to your pm but unless i'm being dense I can't see a way of doing it (hee hee) - perhaps someone can point me in the right direction??????
Highlighted

I'm with Marion its good to hear from people who have had secondaries for some time. Although mine is a newly diagnosed primary I have a friend with a relative with secondary and until now she was the only one I'd heard about. I feel there's a lot to be gained from people further along the treatment path - things to do, things not to do and things/decisions they'd make differently
Sarah
Highlighted

Hello horsie 😄 I will have my radiotherapy at Velindre
Highlighted

Hi Pam (herbgarden), it's always good to hear about ladies with secondaries for years. I was a bit hesitant to post because I didn't want to worry any primary ladies, but I guess unfortunately there will always be a few of us who don't escape secondaries. On a positive, i had 13 years of fantastic health, saw my children grow up and now on the grandchildren.
Lois, good luck with the chemo, treatments have changed a lot I'm sure in the last 13years. I always found the medical care I have received in any department has been very good and I have met some fantastic doctors and nurses along the way. Will see how it goes on Friday and will feel a lot better once I start some treatment. Marion
Highlighted

Horsie...just noticed your comments about SIRT on the liver mets thread. I had a theotetical discuusion with my onc in Velindre re SIRT should the need arrise and was assured it was available in Velindre. Pamx

Highlighted

Hi all.
I live between Cardiff and Newport and have bone secondaries (for the last 21/2 years) which were diagbosed 5years to the week after primary diagnosis. I didnt post initially cos didnt want to spook the primary ladies!
there were a group of ladies meeting monthly in cardiff but I think the meetings are now intermittent. BCC organises a monthly meeting for secondary ladies in Cathedral Rd...but I rarely go cos thurs (the day of the meeting) I go to Bristol to look after my elderly mother.
After secondary diagnosis i had emergency radiotherapy, followed by hormonr treatment and when there was some progression by capecitabine...an oral chemo....for the last 18months. Im currently pretty well ....Ive just returned from a week in Scotland....took my mum and did all the driving!.....Incidently mema, my mum was diagnosed with a boney secondary 13 years after primary....she has been on hormone treatment for the last seven years and is now 90!...its a worrying journey but easier when you see some sucess on treatment! Good luck with your onc appt. Pamx

Highlighted

Few of us then, Mema are you going to oncology in singleton? I was there yesterday , didnt like it!! But don't suppose your meant to. I start chemo on monday19 th . I live in skewen x
Highlighted

Cinderssarah, I have had treatments at Royal Gwent, Newport & radiotherapy at Velindre.
Highlighted

Hi all, I'm in Swansea, lived in Wales for 23 years. Just been diagnosed with bony secondaries, 13 years after my primary treatment. Bit shell shocked but seeing oncology this week to find out what's next.
Marion
Highlighted

Hello Mrs Mc, good to hear from someone a little further along the treatment trudge 😄 I can understand your anxieties abot tomorrow and will keep everything crossed for you - let us know how you get on x
Highlighted

Good morning lovely Welsh ladies - I'm Cardiff born and bred and a very proud welsh woman. I was diagnosed with stage 2 grade 3 IDC in August 2012. I had a WLE and SNB which thankfully showed no lymph node involvement . I finished my FECT chemo in February this year, with radiotherapy in March. I am now nearly through my course of herceptin and at the start of 5 years of tamoxifen. I have my 12 month check up tomorrow (mammogram) and I admit to feeling very scared and anxious about it and can't seem to think of anything else x x
Highlighted

Morning Ladies! I live in Caldicot. Being treated at Velindre ( North of Cardiff) I was diagnosed with secondaries at intial diagnosis over 2 1/2 years ago..

Highlighted

I'm here in South Wales and live nearer to Jeanne than to Cinderssarah.
Highlighted

Hi Jenanne, are you being treated at Nevill Hall or RGH? I'm at Nevill Hall (when the appointment comes through)
Highlighted

Hi, I live in Cwmbran, so not far from Abergavenny.
Highlighted

Hi Lols playing the waiting game. had WLE and SNB on 10th July (no cinical evidence of node involvement) lump was 25mm with clear margins. Readmitted two weeks later for axillary clearance and told that I would have chemo, radiotherapy and tamoxifen. Last week I saw surgeon and was told ony the sentinel node was involved - this now meant there would be a question mark over the chemo and whether the side effects would outweigh the benefits. I'm waiting for my appointment with the onc who is on holiday..........
I had expected a few weeks ago to be (reluctantly joinging the August chemo group) but now i'm just waiting for the appointment and wondering whats next. Physically I am so lucky I have receovered remarkably well I was even decorating last week but this waiting is a right royal pain
Highlighted

Hi cindersarah there doesn't seem too many of us in South Wales. Hope your ok x
Highlighted

Hi, I'm near Abergavenny 😄
Highlighted

Hi I'm living in Swansea . Hi hobbitoes just seen your fab news on my pm xx
Where do you live Jude?
Highlighted

Hiya Jude, I'm originally from Aberdare but now live in Pembrokeshire.
Highlighted

South Wales

Hi, anyone from South Wales?