Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spa visit after surgery

4 REPLIES 4
VictoryV

Re: Spa visit after surgery

Hi Sarah,

I hope you got the answers you needed from your breast care team.  Going by my lumpectomy (Dec 2015) I would not have been ready 11 days afterwards to go to a spa, but it all depends on your operation, tumour size etc.  I booked a deluxe manicure at the start of this month after having had a lumpectomy, chemo and radiotherapy. My OH had booked us a few days away as a treat so I wanted my nails done to go! At the salon (in a large spa hotel) I filled in the forms and declared that I'd had treatment for breast cancer........they refused to do the full deluxe manicure as it involved massage to my forearms and hands!!!!! I explained that I was already getting regular massages from the complementary therapist at the MacMillan centre at my hospital but they said without a letter from my doctor I could not have any treatments OR use the spa facilities!! They said this would apply until I was 5 years clear.  I ended up getting just a basic hand and foot manicure.  I checked this with the complementary therapist at hospital and she said unless I'd had any problems with lymphedema or had found another lump or indeed any other changes on my body she couldn't see a problem with massage, sauna, steam room etc. Get advice from your health care team as to what is best for you. In the future (when my lack of hair makes me look less like a cancer victim) I certainly won't be declaring my treatment when booking a manicure or indeed going to use the spa facilities!! I understand these salons and spas need to cover themselves but this is the time I need the most pampering! 

Hope all goes well with your operation and you do get to enjoy a trip to Ragdale

Hugs, Vik

Sarmori

Thanks for the response, I've got my pre-op assessment tomorrow so I'll ask there.  I've not actually met my breast care nurse yet - the surgeon gave me a business card with 3 names on it but I haven't called.  It would be a shame to cancel my trip to Ragdale but I don't want to negatively impact my recovery.  Thanks, Sarah x

On a diversion

Hi Sarah,

It is probably best to ask your breast care nurse or surgeon. I was told that they like a letter from a doctor to say it is okay. Even if your scars have healed sufficiently (mine hadn't at that stage), I would think it was inadvisable to go into the steam rooms etc due to the risk of lymphodema, see http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/type/breast-cancer/treatment/lymphoedema-after-breast-c....  So sorry to not give you the answer you were probably hoping for ... 

X

Lizzy_BCC

Hi Sarmori, 

I am sure some of our supportive users will be along to offer advice and support very soon.

In the meantime please do call our helpline at 0808 800 6000 who will be able to talk to you about the treatments and offer a friendly ear. The opening hours are below. 

Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm
Late opening Wednesday 9am-7pm,
Saturday, 9am-1pm

Best wishes, 

Lizzy 

Sarmori

Spa visit after surgery

I had a Spa trip already booked (3 days at Ragdale Hall) before I was diagnosed. My lumpectomy is booked for 6 July and I leave for Ragdale on 17th.  I'm thinking that is long enough after surgery to be healed up enough to go, and that it will actually be quite a nice thing to do as part of my recovery.  Do you think that timing will work?  

I will need to call them to talk about treatments as a lot of the massages etc listed on their website say they are not suitable for people with cancer, but there are a few that look ok.  At the spa they have lots of steam / sauna rooms - does anyone know if I'm ok using those?

Sarah x