366826posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Split fingernails

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Split fingernails

Hi I did not have Tax but my nails were badly affected by chemo. And also the skin on the finger pads esp earlier this year when there was snow on the ground and it was v. cold they split really badly,deeply and also got infected and really painful no amount of a-bs and various creams helped. A beauty therapist friend recommended Badger Balm its in a small tin rather like the Vaseline tins and is a bit difficult to find but daughter found this in alternative remedies in Boots. There are tins for cuticles and hard working hands Costs about £5 for a small tin but after only 3-4 smears My deeply painful fingers /nails were feeling and looking so much better quite soon still have a way to go but this has really helped Jackie

Hi Tors
if this makes you feel any better - all my fingernails lifted and have fallen out & my toenails are going the same way......
they look pretty horrible at the moment, but I have lovely new nail coming through which looks pink & strong.
no one's noticed my yucky nails(apart from me) & I don't mind if it means the cancer staying away!

xx

I found as well as using nail stuff every day, it was best to keep them as short as possible to stop the possibility of them lifting up at the edges.

After I finished treatment I bought one of those kits for buffing them up and conditioning them. TBH it kind of made them look worse as it was like the buffer took some of the top surface off.

My nails are poor too. I did all the things they said ie dark nail polish etc they held up ok but are brittle and light browny colour. I have used Tree Tea Oil on them since finishing Chemo - put a small amount on the end of a cotton bud and rub it in each one every day. Whilst they are still a bit brittle - I haven't lost any of them yet so its worth a try. You can get it from Holland and Barrett.

hi
yes i too was told dark nail varnish. it stops the uv light i think
i finished tax in feb and mine still keep splitting but have lost the horrid yellow tinge

I know some ladies said they were told to use black nail polish when they were on Taxotere. The dark colour helps apparently.

hi Everyone

My nails were awful they split vertically, flaked off in layers and generally looked as if a mouse had been nibbling them.

I don't know if I'm allowed to write this, if not I'm sure the moderators will delete this post but ... someone ages ago on this forum recommended OPI Envy which I tried and my nails are much better now, not perfect but better. I also use OPI Avoplex oil. Both products are expensive and I don't think I'll bother with the Avoplex again but I'm on my second bottle of Envy.

I've given up trying to grow them long but I keep them nicely manicured and short and I'm happy with that.

Best of luck everyone

Jan x

i am two years post taxotere and my nails are still bad. i had strong nails before but now they are always splitting and breaking. i have always used sally hansen cuticle oil and hard as nails from the start. i tried having tips put on and that made things worse. I got an infection under one of the nails and the salon did not want to know. The tips could not be removed apparently. Bc treatments are terrible and the effects seem to be ongoing for years. It has taken well over two years for my hair to start recovering as well.

Hello. I discovered Rimmel Nail Rescue which is just like a colourless varnish but really works well. I kept my nails during taxotere by using this. I'm still using it nearly 4 years on from diagnosis.

By the way Tors - when my Mother had to go into a care home and all her clothes needed labelling, I used iron on name tapes which are very good and much much easier than sewing them all on. The care home had an industrial strength, rather fierce washing machine but the tapes stayed on and stayed legible through loads of washes over a couple of years.

Best wishes everyone. Anthi x

Cheers Sarah, will buy some of the body shop rescue tmrw, sounds promising.

Jane, yes amazing what u realise you use your nails for. My finger tips went numb and tingly with tax and I couldn't sew on my little boys school uniform name labels. They shoved loads of needles in me and I didn't cry but I sobbed when I couldn't feel my fingers to sew for my son. Effing cancer! I thought my nails had escaped relatively unscathed but was clearly wrong! Yours sound rotten, but does it come in handy to offload smelly nappies...? My tingly fingers and toes are really much better now, just a little residual tingling in big toes and right at the very end of finger tips, but at a low level. Last Chemo was mid august.

How us tax going for you, I haven't spotted your updates. But that's cos I am Reading less on this site now in my quest to re-engage with life! Hope you are going ok and so are your two lovely little girls.

Vickie
x

Although I haven't had to go the chemo route, I hope I might be allowed to make a suggestion on this. I know it’s not in the same league as the crap you have to go through with chemo, but I've always had rubbish splitting nails plus eczema on my hands and have found that Body Shop's Almond Oil Hand Rescue Treatment is really good at strengthening nails as well as improving the skin - but make sure to get a tub of the rescue treatment, not a tube of Almond Oil Daily Hand & Nail Cream which is much thinner (and cheaper).
The other option, which I found through these forums, is Udderly Smooth Hand Cream - dirt cheap and works a treat, buy it through Amazon. I believe this is recommended to BC patients in the U.S.
Sarah x

Hi Vickie

Sorry to hear your nails are suffering - makes you realise what you use them for once they're out of action, tried to get a child-safety plug out of a socket today - ouch!

Just to make you feel better, I think my nails are probably worse than yours - and I still have another 3xTax to go! I have 6 which are lifting revoltingly from the nail-bed, are brown and yellow and warped, with sore, cracked tips and today (day 5 of cycle 1 of tax) are partly numb. I tried plasters too but the prune-fingers that resulted were even worse.

Toes have started tingling too, and i have two brown big toe nails. Glorious. I keep reminding myself it's a good sign and how must the cancer be feeling.

The silk wrap thing does sound good, if only to hide the knarled mess. xxx Jane

Thanks for your replies. The silk nails look good. Too late for one of my split nails, it pulled right off, across the middle ov my nail. Really really really hurt and is still hurting! Grrrr.

I am 3 1/2 years on from Taxotere. When I was on it I used Boots No7 nail cream every day (it's in a little black tube) which did help, as one or two of my nails were lifting up at the edges.

However, my nails were rubbish before BC and are worse now. The one on my ring finger has to be kept short all the time as it's ridged and splits vertically up the middle. I'd like to have gel tips or something done to make my hands look better, but I worry it might just make things worse.

I was a lucky one who had no nail damage on 4FEC 4Tax (feel free to swear/throw things/hurrumph a lot, lol :-)), so I can't comment on how long it'll take to grow out.

If it were me, I'd just get my nails silk wrapped at a salon. I think that'd work.

If you aren't familiar with silk wrapping and can't be bothered to google, here's a link
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-silk-wrap-nails.htm.

xxx

Split fingernails

I finished 3 fec 3tax in august. My nails were ok-ish though sore and ridged. Now they are very brittle and snap easily. They have started splitting horizontally half way down and it hurts and they keep catching on things and are in danger of being ripped off every time I so much as pull a jumper on! I have had plasters over them to protect them ( but this interferes with my iPhone touch screen tapping...;)...).

So, has anyone any good ideas to deal with thd splits I have already got and zny advice on products etc to stop it happening. Plus any info on how long it tool for their nails to get better, or even tales of why their nails are worse than mine cos that would cheer me up too.....(joke!)

thanks
vickie