Spot on sterum shown on scan

I have recently had a bone and CT scan which shows a spot on my sterum. I had the same scans 18 months before chemotherapy. This spot has not changed in all that time. They want me to have a bone biopsy on Tues. the CT scan and the bone scan shows no other abnormality in the body.
I am so frightened, I can’t eat or take part in normal life.
I am terrified. The oncologist does not know what it is either. I had a lumpectomy 14 years ago and radio treatment coupled with tamoxifen. In 2013 a new cancer came and I had a masectomy, chemotherapy and amrimadex. This mark has not moved in 18 months. Can anyone help me.

hi Louis and welcome.

It sounds like your team are on the ball and really the only definitive way of answering the worry with any certainty is to biopsy it if it is a single lesion…

however I would think the fact it has remained unchanged over 18months…neither shrinking with chemo nor growing when not on chemo is hugely reassuring and makes it less likely it is a secondary…

If it is a sole secondary maybe it would be considered "oligometastatic "…and a possiblity may be surgical removal…

Good luck with the biopsy. dont hesitate to post if you want further support…let us know how you get on.XX

hi louis,

please try not to panic, i know thats very easy for me to say to you

however i understand about a met on your sternum

Around 3 years ago, i had a result that showed something on my sternum,

i had to have a ct guided bone biopsy, as my oncologist wanted to know what type it was

i was given chemo that got rid of the little bugger, but it didnt stay away for long unfortunatly

when it returned i was given surgery i had a sternotomy, they took away part of my sternum

(the part with the met in) and rebuilt it…the surgeon told me that the area is now bullet proof!

if you do need to have surgery i will help if i can.

kimi :heart:

Hi Louis
I am sorry to read that you are so worried, our helpliners are on hand with further support for you so please feel free to call to talk your concerns through. Lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturdays on 0808 800 6000

Take care
Lucy BCC

Wishing you all the best for your appointment today Louis.
Be thinking of you, let us know how you get on.
Helen x

debs,

i think you should buy another pair of shoes! or boots after all winter is comming :womanlol:

anytime you want to talk we are all  here for you

kimi :heart:

Thank you Nicky.
I have just taken some Valium to help calm me down.
I had my blood results this morning, everything normal. I can’t stop shaking.
Debra. xx