cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spring into chemo in March

Lola65

Re: Spring into chemo in March

Hi Suzy,

Sorry to see you have been inside again. You sound very similar to me. In cycle 1 my temp shot up to 38 despite me feeling very well at the time. Off I went to hospital, and got hooked up to IV anti biotics for 3 nights. Despite every test they could think of (bloods, cultures, urine, chest Xray, even an ECG) they never did find the source of any infection and I swear to this day I didn't have one. My neuts were vey low (0.1 on admittance) but nothing else was found. On my next meeting with the oncologist I was discussing this and he said lots of other things can cause a spike in temperature, including an inflammation somewhere. This could be very innocent. I hadn't had any Neulasta jabs at that time, so it couldn't have been that with me, but I do have a worn cartilidge in my knee that inflames from time to time, so I am blaming that. Anyway, better safe than sorry and I lost 4lbs in hospital due to deplorable food, so it wasn't all bad!

Daffodil - you were right, the nurse was wrong. The black varnish is to protect the nail from ultra violet light, not to hide any discolouration. On Docetaxel you get the infusion from a bag that is covered in dark grey or black - this is because TAX is sensitive to UV light. Lots of nurses have never heard of it, mine included! It's only TAX where this problem occurs as far as I am aware.

TCH cycle 2 day 14
As for me, this second cycle has been hospital free up to now (day 14) but I am keeping everything crossed. I had a Neulasta jab the day after chemo because of my earlier Neutropenia, and have had no side effects so far. The worst side effect for me this cycle was diarhoea and bowel cramps. Otherwise, no aches or pains.

Hugs to everyone suffering, Linda xxx
Daffodil66

Hi ladies, sorry to the tax se's are going so badly, big hugs to you & hope it passes soon. Think I might do a runner while the goings good!
Suzy - Sorry to hear you are having such a bad time & fingers crossed you can enjoy a glass or two by friday.
Asked onc nurse about dark nail varnish & she said it was just to cover up discoloured nails, thought it was to protect from sun light. Silly me! Xxx
suzy52

Hello everyone
Not been posting as have been incarcerated once more! Temperature shot up ton 38o early hours of Wednesday morning so dashed off to A&E, they were very quick and efficient had me hooked up real fast with AntiBio's etc. Just came home this pm.
I am totally baffled. The docs say no cause of infection was isolated after complete bloods/cultures/urine etc and have come to the conclusion it was the Nivestim shots that were responsible. What ever the cause I felt like tripe, and only just feeling like joining the living again. Quite what the upshot of this will be who knows, I am going in with guns blazing next cycle when I see the onco again. To say the waters are muddy is putting it mildly. The discharge doc today was a jr without a clue so there was no point in grilling her. I hope that my shots can be changed if thats the case - I can't be doing with all this stress, even though the hospital here is great, I've seen enough of the oncology ward to last a life time!
Hope your all doing better than me, its been a tough week. Here's to feeling better, looking forward to spoiling the OH on Friday, its his birthday and we could both do with a break, I know I hear you 😉 We ALL NEED A BREAK!
We ENDURE! there's no DARN CHOICE! xxxxxxxx
shells64

Hi honeymonster and jir
My heart goes out to u both i put a hot water bottle on my legs that helps and just rest also if up to it a little walk helps legs thinking of u both it will get better take care xxx
Honeymonster

Hi Jlr, I'm feeling the same as you - Tax day 5. Thinking of you, will write more when have more energy x
Jlr

Morning ladies, have had a very very quiet weekend, first tax has hit quite hard, felt great the actual day of the infusion, but the couple days afterwards have felt really really achy, sore and tired, no energy at all and that coupled with the bone pain from the neulasta injection has floored me really. Never mind onwards and upwards hopefully feeling better soon. Nurses suggested taking paracetamol then after 2 hours ibuprofen then 2 hours more paracetamol and continue on this regime for a coupe of days, seems to be working today.

Take care all xx
Daffodil66

Hi ladies, sorry I Haven't posted for a while been to Cornwall & had laptop issues but have been reading posts on my phone.I hope you are all ok & sounds like everyones keeping busy in between feeling rough.
We had a lovely time away, cottage was beautiful & walks on the doorstep. I managed my normal costal walks pre chemo & felt fine. Totally agree that sometimes we feel all this is happening to someone else, even more so being away from it all. Would recommend going away if possible, feel so much better for it. Only thing is coming back & straight into tax tomorrow, seems like I've lost one of my precious days & been moved forward!
My nails are all dark for tomorrow, does anyone know if we have to keep them painted for the whole of tax? As it's going to be high maintenance! Thanks for udder cream tip, going shopping before amazon sell out.
Have a lovely day everyone xxx
shells64

Good morning everyone
Had a nice day yesterday went to a pub with family which was lovely then on to a garden center got some more solar nights my son said if u buy any more a plane will think its a runway lol
CHOCCY- thank u will keep with the cream with tax the top of my fingers hurt and still do ive ordered some evonail my nails look bad at the moment xx
ROADSHOW-Im so pls u got out about and i see what u mean about the chair it looks wonderful . I hope u feel better today so u can do your cooking
NIPINUK- Hope u are feeling good this morning .The wedding is going to be a quiet one just family and about 3 friends a lot of my friends have let me down and i cannot forgive them at the moment maybe in time but i known i would be thier for them which i have been anyway let get way from that subject well have a lovely day xxx
ANGLEA- Not feeling to good my legs and fingers still hurt its part of tax im hoping by the end of the week it will be gone on my good week i must stop going shopping lol but it helps with the pain lol. Im gald u had a nice time in london and i hope u have a nice day today i wish we could get in the garden its to cold also looked at weather its rain all week not happy lol xx
well speak later everyone have a nice day pop back later to see how u all are xxxshelley
the_roadshow

FEC cycle 3 day 17
Hello Marchies!
Mungos Mum – crikey, having to watch the FA cup final – now that certainly is enduring!! Hope you and Mungo had a lovely day today while the rest of your family were watching Fulham.
Mungos Mum and Shells64 – all this talk of gardening inspired me to go plant shopping. I don’t have a garden or a balcony and there wasn’t one single plant in my flat until Saturday but now I’ve got 4 to look after! Whilst shopping for plants and plant pots I got rather distracted by what’s called a helicopter chair and hubby had a hard time prizing me out of it as it’s seriously comfy. Take a look:
http://www.simplygardenfurniture.co.uk/Garden-Chairs/Sun-Time-Beige-Steel-Helicopter-Swing?oid=22518...
It was lovely to get out of the flat even though the short trip on Saturday left me pooped. I’ve felt better today and we ventured to Denbies Vineyard where there was a craft fair. So many cool things: creative door stops, bunting, soaps, creams, jewellery etc. Was fun (for me, not so much for hubby but he hid it well and was happy to see me out of the flat). Was quite cold out so had a nice hot bath when I got back and steamed the whole place up. Lovely.
Think my haemoglobin levels are on the up as have had much more energy today. Who knows, I may even tackle the mess that is my flat if this energy continues. Hmmmm.
Hubby has fed me well today as was served breakfast in bed this morning and then he made salmon, salad and quinoa tabbouleh for tonight’s dinner. It was lovely. I’ve been very spoiled and I could definitely get used to it. Am hoping to get back into the kitchen tomorrow as the banana bread won’t make itself!
AngelaG – Glad you had a lovely time at the Royal Albert Hall. I was there in Feb for Carmen – such fantastic acoustics. Certainly hope your granddaughter gets to fulfil her potential – seems rather exploitative that they have to pay so much for photo shoots etc.
Nipinuk – hope you had fun celebrating MIL’s 70th birthday. I love that your son sets himself those goals, especially the rubiks cube one. What’s his next project? Memorising all the English counties, American states or presidents? Love it. Also pretty impressed that he can do 30 press ups right off the bat when your ES is the one who’s been practising! 60+ apples? What are you going to make?
Jude – glad the portocath fitting went well, unconscious shaking aside. Will post the quinoa tabbouleh recipe if you’re interested.
Choccy61 – you certainly have been busy this weekend. I’m going to have to shave my tufty bits soon too. Hope my hair grows back this fast after the 6th infusion – knowing my luck the white hairs (which seem to be growing faster than the surrounding brown ones) will have multiplied by then. Doesn’t seem fair really.
Hope you’ve all had a lovely weekend and look forward to reading what you’ve been up to. Take care x
Choccy61

FEC-T, Cycle 3, Day 17
Hi Ladies
I hope everyone has had a good weekend, despite the fresher weather which seems to have arrived.
Angela – so pleased your granddaughter’s performance went well. I’ve never even been to the Royal Albert Hall, let alone performed there (and never will perform!). I hope she fulfils her dreams one day and becomes an actress. Art Deco fair sounds fab – we’ve just finished a project at work with original Art Deco bathrooms and (thankfully) they’ve retained one of them. I know what you mean about people standing close to you when you’re wearing your wig – I worry about wearing mine on windy days for the same reason. I’m sure you look fabulous in your wig though – a friend of mine said my ‘hair’ looks perfect all the time, as if I’ve just been to the hairdresser! Nonetheless, I will be so glad when this is over – I’ll never complain about having a bad hair day again!! What an inspirational story about your friend – living proof that we can all beat this :). Is it really 17 years ago this year since Princess Diana died? I think we can all remember where we were when we heard that news – I was in bed having a cuddle with my son, who was 7 at the time. Hope your packing and viewings are going well and how lovely to be able to look forward to moving to Spain, just in time for the weather to start getting cold here (that’s always assuming it warms up of course!). One of the girls I work with had a dreadful cold on Thursday and Friday – I’m a bit cross with myself for not turning round and going home actually. I just hope I don’t get it – I don’t want anything to delay my chemo sessions! Hope you stay healthy this week.
Christine – that garden centre looks fantastic. Some friends of ours are moving on Tuesday but haven’t yet found a house they both like (not sure they ever will if neither of them are prepared to compromise, but that’s another story!). Anyway, they have a number of plants in pots which they either don’t want, or we’re going to look after until they find a house and some of them they bought when we all went to the Palm Centre in Richmond (http://www.palmcentre.co.uk/). Not quite on the same scale as the one near you, but worth a visit if you’re this side of London and like that kind of thing. Did you manage to get out into the garden today? It’s been pretty miserable here this afternoon :(.
Honeymonster – hope you’re continuing to feel well after your Tax and Herceptin. They’re not going to start my Herceptin until cycle 5, after they know that I’ve been OK on Tax (hopefully I will be!). I don’t understand why it’s not the same everywhere. I’ve also got to have further surgery (though not the same as you – mine is cosmetic to make a matching pair), and I'll also have Tamoxifen for 5 years – but we’ll get there, and be stronger for it! If we can all endure this, we can get through anything! Hope your face has calmed down – you should have stopped the steroids now?
Woolfie – good luck for your 3rd FEC on Tuesday and I hope it goes as well this time as it did for your last session. I also have anti-sickness meds via syringe (Dexamethasone - steroid) before the chemo drugs, and antihistamine, also via syringe. I then have to take Dexamethasone tablets for 3 days after, together with Ondanestron. I also have Dom Perignon (if only!) but haven’t needed it yet. I’m glad your OH is coping well, but it can’t be easy for either of you. I hope it all goes smoothly for him.
Nipinuk – glad you had a good day celebrating your MIL’s birthday yesterday and hope you’ve had a relaxing day today, despite traipsing round DIY shops (though I have to confess, I quite enjoy doing that!). I miss cuddles with my son in bed but at 23 I don’t think it’s appropriate any longer......and he certainly wouldn’t!! Your meal yesterday sounds lovely – I’m also trying to limit my intake of red meat. Having said that, we had beef casserole this evening (perfect for a lovely spring evening – haha!) – but it’s the first time I’ve had red meat for a few weeks so I don't feel too bad about it. I also need to limit my chocolate intake 😉 ....... maybe when I start on Tax it won’t taste so good! My parents didn’t see my baldy head – my mum would have been fine with it but my dad said he would rather not. Glad I warned them and didn’t just whip my wig off as I’m prone to do!! We went to Hong Kong, Singapore and Langkawi for my 50th birthday and our 25th wedding anniversary 2 years ago – we loved Singapore (and HK and Langkawi too!). The Dr doing my echo test said it was fine, though I think that was unofficial but I don’t suppose he would have said it was fine if it wasn’t. When I had surgery one of the nurses said to me that she was avoiding parabens and I’ve researched it a bit – you’re right, it is expensive (and time consuming!). That’s an awful lot of fruit you’ve got!!
Jlr –You didn’t post yesterday, so I hope your side effects were minimal following your first Tax.
Pammyx – I hope your nausea has gone by now. I think it’s natural to have fears about recurrence and recognising that you need help in coping with life after BC is the first step. I really hope the coaching helps you – I know you’ve only had one session so far but it sounds like you’ve found it beneficial already.
Roadshow – Oh dear, what a time you’ve had! I hope the iron tablets do the trick so that you manage a couple of good days this week before the next round on Friday.
Karen – glad you had such a good week away. It sounds like you’ve come back totally refreshed!
Shelley – it sounds like you enjoyed your shopping trip! Thanks also for the tip about Udderly Smooth creams. I had really sore, cracked fingertips on about day 5 of my 2nd FEC and the chemo nurse suggested I use E45 hand cream from day 1 to try and prevent it, and it worked – my fingers were fine on cycle 3, so as Christine said, don’t stop using the cream as you might find it helps with FEC too. My Evonail arrived yesterday so I’m using that already in preparation for my first Tax (my nails look better than they have for ages already!).
Jude – glad your portacath fitting went well. Do you start herceptin on Thursday? Thanks for the link about the creams.
Had a busy day yesterday – cleaned the house, did 2 loads of washing, then my sister and the hairdresser came (not for me obviously(!) though she did shave my tufty bits back to a No 2. and trimmed the fringe on my wig – for a moment it felt like I was having a normal haircut). Then I sorted out the greenhouse and got all my pots and hanging baskets ready for plants, although having seen the weather forecast it’s too early to plant anything that won’t fit in the greenhouse. Needless to say, I haven’t done much today, apart from the ironing.
I hope I haven’t missed anybody – it’s difficult to keep up! It’s taken me so long to type this that each time I think I’ve finished and am about to post, I see one of you has posted and I have to go back and edit mine!
I hope that those of you who are feeling poorly feel better soon and that everyone who feels well continues to feel well! Have a good week all.
Carol xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi ladies
I hope you've all had a stressfree weekend? My younger brother is visiting me for the weekend and I've been busy being hostess with the mostess. Its amazing how my chemo feels like a distant memory when I have company to take my mind off it. No doubt it'll be back to reality tomorrow, after I drop him off at the airport, in preparation for my next blast on Friday. Just think we'll be able to say we're 2/3 of the way through. I can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel. I hope you're all feeling optimistic and ready for battle? Sending you all big hugs and positive vibes to see you through the next round of treatment.
Best wishes
Karen xxx
Nipinuk

FEC 75 Cycle 3 Day 11

So nice to read all your posts! Took eldest to his third jamming session with the gals this afternoon. Then went on an errand for hubby to find tile 'thingy' it's completely gone from my head - hubby's tiling around the window and needs this thing to sit between right angles so you don't see the jagged edges. Anyway, I got sidetracked and look at fruit trees! oh, saw this Victoria plum tree that I weelly weelly want! The thought of ripe juicy plums late summer (in prob 2 years time) is irresistible! Went to another DIY place as couldn't find thingy in the first one and got sidetracked again and saw pear, cherry and apple trees. Oooooh! want, want, want!! Will let hubby know about getting an early birthday pressie for me! 🙂

Christine - did you get to walk Mungo? It's been drizzling here. I made chicken tangine tonight and quinoa tabbouleh. Everyone else actually preferred my leftover pasta bake made with dolcellatte cheese - pah, what do they know! Made them salad to get some greens in. Must say those apricots and dates in the tangine is making me a bit windy 🙂
Oh, how nice to have the day to yourself next weekend. What are you hoping to do? I guess being able to do as you please would be great!
Oh do share if you've got a wild garlic recipe handy. As it is, I was just planning to substitute garlic for it and see how it tastes. I'd thought that you eat the flowers but its the young leaves I'm supposed to harvest. Should have done that when they were just coming out.

Angela, there are woods a minute walk away from our house where the wild garlic grow like mad! I'm hoping to take a photo in the next few days and will post it. They've got lovely white flowers.

Shelley - have you book your wedding venue? I'm only asking as my eldest son's drum teacher booked his wedding venue at Romsey Abbey two years ahead! I guess the popular places get booked up quickly. The best bit about my wedding was the honeymoon! We did a 22 day flydrive to New Zealand in January which was just amazing.
Great to hear you've found yourself a nice cream to use though I must admit that I can't help thinking that it's made from cows udders! 🙂

I had a look at the ingredients at http://www.uddercream.com/dry-skin-udderly-smooth-udder-cream.shtml and it contains parabens. I'm trying to go down the chemical free route where I can. It's a personal choice which is turning out to be quite expensive!
Information about parabens here in case anyone interested - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraben

Jude - I hope your port is healing well. it probably feels sore at the moment, does it? Does yours look like a third boob? It's Roadshow, she described hers as that!
I made quinoa tabbouleh this evening which was yummy. I modified the recipe as I wanted to eat it warm and added some pepper paste for a kick! The recipe I looked at is here - http://allrecipes.com/recipe/quinoa-tabbouleh/

Angela - you can't buy more stuff before you sort out 33 years of stuff! Lol! Your hubby will like me 🙂 haha, I know what you mean. I've got boxes of nappy fabric that I hid from hubby many years ago and I won't let him chuck them out now he's found them! I know he's thrown my stuff out when my back is turned and the problem is that I'm not really missing whatever it is as I've got so much junk! I hate to throw away anything that could possibly come in useful! I'll be in one of those hoarder programmes on tv soon!
Gosh, that's very inconsiderate of your daughter. My good friends are more careful than I am and won't see me if anyone is ill. You have to say no next time Angela. You're just too kind but you cannot risk getting ill or any complications.
It's great that your granddaughter has more opportunities to perform. I find everything here is so expensive. I did consider stagecoach for my boys when they were little but balked at the cost. What happened to nice little drama groups, the kind which my in laws used to join in which were such fun and not as commercialised as Stagecoach?
Haha, my master coach charges double that! I only got as far as a taster session! Sigh, if only I'd made a different career choice!
Does your hubby like shopping? Does he realise you might buy more stuff?! You lucky gal. Mine would never suggest such a thing. I nearly fell over the other day when he suggested going to Waitrose!

Woolfie - Angela's idea is great! You should try asking your friends if they would as I'm sure they'd be more than happy to. I really loved it when my friends cooked us a meal when I was feeling poorly. Hubby's a darling but not a cook! Haha, I can still see the roast potatoes, carrots and overdone sausage (couldn't bring myself to eat the sausage) he made last week!

Guess what? I took delivery of 10 honeydew melons, a box of fennel and 60+ apples!! Got lots of eating to do.

Take care all. For those who are feeling under the weather, take care and we hope you bounce back soon.

Big hugs to all xx

AngelaG

FEC75 CYCLE 3 DAY 17
It’s a good day to say hello everyone, and I hope you are all in the peak of condition. This week has been wonderfully busy and enjoyable. Yesterday I walked with a friend in the morning to Eltham Palace to an art deco fair. I’m now a fan and would love to have a few pieces in our new flat if we sell and buy before someone else buys it. There were some wonderful items on sale. I’m converted! Then in the evening, as I’ve already told you, we went to the Royal Albert Hall for the Mardigras performance from 24 top stage schools from all over the UK. Our granddaughter was totally amazing (I’m not biased of course!) and she was looking so very happy and confident and involved. She needs to be on the stage. Just said goodbye to daughter and grandson who we were looking after today. He has a streaming cold and cough, so thanks a lot my lovely D hope I don’t suffer the consequences!
Shelley – I am well, thank you. How are you doing? Hope your legs and fingers feel better really soon x
Pammyx – I have a friend who is a life coach, and she is always trying to get me to go on it, but at £100 an hour I think I’ll give it a miss! I’ve heard of the positive thnking approach and finding 5 good things a day to be thankful for. It’s a good idea, but after a couple of days I forget to do it!
Nipinuk – thank you for your well wishes. It was very sombre when Dianna died wasn’t it, and rightly so, she was definitely the nations darling. A unique woman. As to the funny anecdotes, I had to post something amusing as so many people on this thread were having withdrawal symptoms from missing your humour! They say that moving home is the 2nd most stressful event in ones life after an OH or parent dying. I must get my act together on the good days to do more packing. Most of the clutter is mine! And I won’t allow OH to touch any of my unfinished craft projects (he’d bin them behind my back!!!!) it doesn’t sound a pleasant choice you have to make with the Emend. Sorry to hear how it all affects you. I hope you come to the right decision for you x. Haha, wasn’t it your son that thought you were doing a pregnancy test when taking your temperature?! My blue dye is still there after 3 months. Pistachio pesto sounds different. Yum! Glad you had a nice time with your MIL. I’m sure she was blessed too. Where abouts do you go for the wild garlic? Sounds like your YS will be a mathematician! So sorry to hear you too suffer with injections, I don’t think I would cope too well.
JLR – glad #4 went well and hope that it’s so far so good
Woolfie – thank you, the evening was ace! I think you and I are very lucky compared to some of the ladies on this thread. It’s so good to hear that you and your OH are getting organised and have family & friends to help. That will make such a difference. Will some of them be able to provide a meal sometimes to ease the pressure on appointment days?
Karen – I know it’s wrong to be envious, but I am!!! What a great time you have had with the camper van, it sounded amazing. I am jealous!
Roadshow – you wonderful little soldier...you are having to contend with so much, I really feel for you. Have the iron tablets kicked in yet? And now your OH. Is he coming out in sympathy for you I wonder? He’s obviously a very good man cooking for you so much, bless him. He deserves a medal (and so do you actually for being so brave through all your trials). I agree with Nipinuk, you astound me that you still post when things aren’t going so well. You put us to shame.
Christine – that Mungo seems to have a penchant for nasty smells, it seems like daily, is that right? Your sons will be a dab hand by the end of chemo. They won’t want to stop! Proud? Oh yes! She’s a natural. Just needs to be in the right place at the right time. And push lots of doors too of course. She used to go to stage coach, but lot of money for little return. She needed to be from a richer family than ours as there were lots of expectations on her to provide money for photo shoots, etc. Her mum is a lone parent only earning a nurses wage, so it was a lot of pressure added to the school wxpectations to pay for trips etc etc. So she stopped going to that and a year or so later started at all the arts, which is 1 hour a week for £97 a term. Much more affordable. What’s more, at stagecoach (£300 a term) there were no opportunities for performing (oh tell a lie, she was on stage with the pink Floyd tribute band) but other than that, nothing to show for 3 years of practice. Now she has at least 2 opportunities a term. Take care not to overdo it (but what does that mean exactly?) for life, yes, it would seem so. Never know what is too much though! But we don’t want lymphedema for sure.
OH suggested going to London M&S tomorrow... ooooo better go to the bank!!!!
Jude – I know what you mean about the shakes. I was like that when I was anxious about chemo and dental work going on at the same time, and then the PICC fitting at a similar time. I could barely walk after that my legs went to mush! And I’m normally very ‘together’.
have a good evening
love angela xx
shells64

Hi cassowary
Thank u so much its such good cream nice to known thanks again shelley xx
Cassowary

http://www.udderlysmooth.co.uk/stockists.htm
Shelley - just found this site listing shops which stock the cream you mentioned - might be of interest if any are local to ladies.
jude
Cassowary

Hi Ladies,
I have been quiet due to having my portacath fitting on Friday. All went well and whilst I didn't think that I was particularly anxious , I ended up shaking 'like a new born lamb' according to the staff nurse, whilst on the table, and my BP and heart rate were both well up each time they were checked. Allowed to go home an hour and a half afterwards, so all being well the port should be ready for use on Thursday.
Roadshow - hope that you are starting to perk up a little with the iron tablets. Tabbouleh sounds interesting. I have just bought quinoa for the first time and need to find recipes. Like Nipinuk I am trying to limit red meat intake.
Shelley / Nipinuk - good for both of you having interesting days out. Hope that you are being gentle on youselves today to recover.
Mungo's Mum - you will be luckier than us with the weather if you are able to get out in the garden this afternoon. It is horrid and wet here. I watched the rugby semi final yesterday and enjoyed it as Tigers won. Completely share you enthusiasm for the end of the football season as TV and media is constantly awash with coverage.
Karen - good to hear that you had an enjoyable break in the camper and were able to forget things for a wee while.
Pammy - coaching sounds really interesting. Is it offered through your hospital? Maggies's at nottingham are just starting a Mindfulness course for the first time. Unfortuneately timing did not work with my treatment schedule so I wasn't able to register, but I would be interested in doing something for the mind.
Christine - hope the packing doesn't prove too trying. My advice would be, be ruthless, don't pack anything to go unless you are sure that you will use it in your new home. It is cathartic when you finish and are able to give lots to charity or leave it at the dump.
hope that everyone else is having a good week-end and not suffering from SEs.
Jude xx
shells64

Hi ladies
Hope everyone is ok and enjoying the weekend well shopping went well got some lights for the garden and plants and new pots and food lol things not bad at moment my legs still hurt and fingers im hopeing that will pass still got 10 days till i start fec still a bit scare but hopeing its not has bad as tax
ROADSHOW-Sorry to hear your having a bad time at the moment hope u are feeling better today
NIPINUK- The wedding plans are going well it will be next year maybe june or july but i will let u known on that one
MUNGOS MUM - i had a great time shopping it takes your mind of things but u do spend a lot of money lol i have got this good cream at the moment the chemo nurse told me about it , its called UDDERLY SMOOTH CREAMS u can only get it on amazon but its good i got the hands and feet one because on tax thats my se .
Well ladies have a lovely day speak soon take care love to all xxx
Mungos_mum

Quick note to show you are not alone! Glad you enjoyed your day yesterday. I saw a chef use wild garlic a couple of weeks ago on Saturday Kitchen. I will scout around for the recipes! Well done for giving yourself the injections. I think of myself as a fairly capable person who doesn't fase too easily, but I hate doing them too. Managed to hit a vein on the second one this cycle and I still have a bruise to show for it! We are certainly enduring!
Had to sit through the FA cup final yesterday, I can't wait for next weekend when the season finishes proper! I have a day to myself today as all three are off to watch Fulham, so will take Mungo for a yomp shortly and hopefully spend the afternoon in the garden.
Hugs all round,
Christine xx
Nipinuk

FEC 75 cycle 3 day 11

Writing from bed. Left the house at 8.45am to go to the shops to buy school shoes for eldest's growing feet and went straight to bro in law's to celebrate MIL 70th. Got home from Balham after 11pm last night.

How are you all? Hope y had a lovely Saturday. i think we're going to have a lazy day today. Hubby's going to watch Grand Prix I think.

MIL's eyes welled up when she read our mushy card. We always send a funny one but thought that since it's a special one, we'll be nice 🙂

We had three different types of hummous, lamb tangine, vegetables, pistachio pesto which was yummy. Had 2 little pieces of lamb as I'm trying minimise red meat intake. I had my bottle of Schloer to share with kids to toast to the birthday girl 😉 I don't really miss alcohol strangely.

Christine - you're right! Change is great! I had a wonderful time with in laws, nieces n nephew. I think everyone had a great time. Lots for laughs And fun! I got lots of useful information about harvesting wild garlic (plenty near us) and growing watercress! Turns out I don't need a stream to grow them! Really happy about that 😉 Kids (boys) had press up and sit up competitions. ys(10) beat older bro and cousin with 30 press ups. He performed his party trick reciting the first 63 elements of the periodic table. He's funny. Does little projects. First was remembering the value of pi to 20+ decimal places, next was solving the Rubik cube - he spent a week on YouTube writing notes etc and does it now in less than 2 mins. Sometime this year, he just thought he'd try remembering the elements on the periodic table! Had a 10 minute cuddle with him in bed this morning which was very nice! Eldest just gives us a quick hug n kiss!
Pammy - my third round of chemo was the worst so far and I felt really miserable as I didn't want water which I normally love and feeling really nauseous for days really suck! I remember trying to forget my injection on the third day as I was feeling awful and when hubby brought it to me I wanted to cry. The bloody injection really hurt that daY when I did it which didn't help! The dear ladies here said to me to be kind to myself n treat and think of myself like how a good friend would do and that helps! We'll bounce back when we feel better.

hope to hear about your day ladies!
xx
Nipinuk

Test! Can't believe no posts yesterday. Hope everyone's alright n enjoying the weekend. Just a short one to check if site working fineXx
Nipinuk

I'm so bloated this evening that my belly is sticking out way further than my boobs! Yuck! MIL might get the wrong idea n think I'm preggy!
Carol, how did your parents react when they saw you? Did you show them your head? Your last weekend was hectic with a capital H! Hope this weekend is just as enjoyable 😉
I'm so glad to hear that your bruising has disappeared. I mentioned to a friend (who had breast cancer 6 months ago ) recently about my bruising where my surgery was and she said it might be the lingering blue dye and I think she's right as it doesn't hurt like a bruise.
like you I can't believe that I'm going through this and feel quite detached sometimes, like an outsider looking in.
have you got your ECHO results? Is your heart ok? Hope it's fit and well.
the February valentines refer to port as portakabin 😉
lol, my greys are hanging on too! It'll be interesting to s compare notes later when our hair starts growing again.
Jude, Jess, Chanson and anyone else I missed - how are you?
Grannyp - thank you so much for your tips and for popping by to support us. Please do pop by again 😉
Shelley - you shopaholic you! I bow down to your, your, what's the word? It's a compliment! How's the wedding prep getting on?

Pammy - I agree with you. I'd much prefer coaching to counselling. Don't like dwelling on things, much better to take control and work to sort issues out. I know of a brilliant master coach, I developed her website and still maintain it for her. I just can't afford her 😞

It's so encouraging to know that that iron tablets work when anaemic. Roadshow will be pleased to hear that!

5 good things is a great idea though I'd have to think hard about it. 5 bad things is much easier but probably not very helpful!

Karen - how wonderful it is to hear abut your fabulous time in your new ride! You sound vibrant! Well done you! Long may it continue.

Roadshow - thank you for updating us even when you're not feeling great. You're so due some good days! Hope that happens soon with the iron tablets. Hubby extreme allergic reaction must be worrying. Christine and I think alike as I've pumped you about epipen too. My youngest sister has severe reactions and never knows what will trigger it. She's had a few harrowing experiences and carries an epipen with her all the time. Quinoa tabbouleh sounds so good!

Christine - lol I know what you mean! It's great to enjoy some juicy gossip, isn't it?! I actually forgot younger son! so nice to eat out as no cooking and washing up 😉 Great that YS gave Mungo a bath.

Eek, didnt realise the time! sorry chriatine, will continue another time as got early start tomorrow.

Have a great weekend everyone!
Pammyx

Fec 3 day 10 nausea seems to be abating takes longer each time I find that the nausea makes me very depressed and hard to visualise getting back to normality. Favourite foos of the moment vegetarian sausages crinkley chips egg and tomato sauce followed by Eton mess with loads of fruit and low fat fromage frais with a calippo lolly for later. I will probably go off this at some point. I struggle with getting through this I tend to take a day at a time rather than counting days to the end. I hope you all have a good weekend and roadshow I hope you feel better i was once very anaemic and it can make you feel very ill although improved quickly after taking iron tablets
Mungos_mum

FEC-T cycle 3 day 15 (or T -7!)
Had a lovely lunch out with a friend, gossiping so much we almost forgot to go home in time for children! I was dissuaded from purchasing any plants yesterday as OH (quite reasonably) pointed out that the garden is not ready for planting, but agreed to get a gardener in to blitz it for the day ASAP so we can plant it before too long. So, we will have to go back...... We tried a new Indian restaurant today. We are rather spoilt in our village as we have 3 indian restaurants, and another take away, but none of them are fantastic. Either that or we are really fussy. But I did manage a glass of wine which actually tasted nice.
Nipinuk – have a wonderful time at your MIL’s party. A change is as good as a rest (apparently!) so with luck you will be refreshed and raring to go next week. We have stopped watching Embarrassing bodies as we always seemed to be eating! I hope your mouth recovers before ulcers appear, but if they do, make iglu your new best friend. I find it fab. YS has also now had to bathe a stinky Mungo, who is now fragrant again; they are learning, slowly! I haven’t made a sorbet recently, but have made a lime sorbet, and a pink grapefruit sorbet before. Both are excellent. Let me know if you need a recipe.
Janey – Glad your first T went well. I hope it continues the same way. I’ll send sleep fairies your way. Xx
Honeymonster – So pleased you are still fairing well after your first T. St Albans is lovely. I had a friend who lived there about 20 years ago and went often.
Angela – you must be so proud of your granddaughter! What an experience! YS used to do Stagecoach and had the opportunity to perform at Her Majesty’s Theatre as part of a multigroup performance. He still talks of it now. I have been paranoid about cuts and bruises on the affected arm, but have ignored aching muscles and have been doing a bit much and had some new swelling in the armpit and shoulder. Worried me initially, but have learned to ease off and keep it moving. I guess we will have to be vigilant for life. I hope your OH feels better soon.
Shelley – Must be the weather, our gardens are going to look fantastic! What did you get? I love going food shopping, but I always end up getting too enthusiastic and plan too many meals, and spend too much. I need reining in! My skin is also a bit drier from FEC, so don’t stop with the cream! I read an article years ago about the use of oily fish to improve skin, it apparently worked, but the writer was pig sick of salmon by the end of the week! It might be worth a try when treatment is over, although I can’t recall why the supplements wouldn’t work as well.
Pammy – I think I have problems finding 10 minutes to myself! I do try to think of something lovely that each of my children have done each day, especially when the terrible teens kick in! I’ll need practice before I can think of 5 things each day though.
Woolfie – I think I get the same anti-sickness meds as you. Dexamthasone and ondanestron via IV before FEC, with addional tablets for three days afterwards and additional Domperidone for when I needed it. I got the timing right in Cycle 2 and hardly felt nauseous at all, but missed it with Cycle 3 and had a sticky first 24 hours. Now I am used to it, I am changing drugs this cycle! Can you get some help with travel costs for your OH? It might be worth talking to Macmillan as they can help sort out the confusing rules surrounding financial assistance. I hope so.
Karen – sounds like you had a wonderful trip. Glad the campervan lived up to expectations! We’re thinking of getting away at the end of the month, but will be looking at a cottage rather than canvas or caravan.
Roadshow - I am so sorry you are suffering. Fingers crossed the iron tablets work. Be gentle on yourself. Xx
How worrying about your OHs reaction. I hope he feels OK now. A friend of mine developed a bee allergy, and mentioned it in passing to her GP, who insisted she carried an epipen around all the time. Given the extreme reactions possible with shellfish, it may be worth him telling the GP and seeing if this is necessary for him.
Hope everyone has a wonderful SE free weekend. Hugs all round.
Christine xx
the_roadshow

Fec cycle 3 day 15
Hello ladies,
Back from hospital – have been feeling so weak, faint and fatigued that we took a trip there to have bloods taken to figure out what’s going on. Still bleeding heavily on day 7 and finding it a bit hard going now. Onc said he could give me some tablets to stop the bleeding but these carry a risk of thrombosis so I declined them. I was also offered a blood transfusion as I’m quite anaemic but turned that down too. So, option 3 – I’m on iron tablets and hoping to feel a bit better soon. Onc said he really thought this was my ovaries’ swan song and asked if I’d been experiencing sweats and hot flushes. I have had the sweats recently so this seemed to concur with his theory. A strange thing happened whilst we were there: I ordered a prawn sandwich and when hubby had some he had a severe allergic reaction. His lips ballooned, his cheeks went purple and he said his throat felt like it was closing up. All very strange. He had some antihistamines and fell asleep for an hour as soon as we got home. I guess that means no more shellfish for him then! I’m back in my pit and pretty happy here, I was just hoping to have more ‘good’ days before the next infusion.
Pammy – pleased to hear you’re finding the life coaching useful. I like the gratitude exercise you were given. I’m sat here composing today’s 5 now.
Nipinuk – I take the Emend tablet too and am completely nauseous for a few days. Drinking water is sooooo hard even though I know we have to try to flush the drugs out. Very frustrating. Pasta bake sounds YUM. Hubby made me more banana bread yesterday and is promising more quinoa tabbouleh this weekend as his first batch was so delicious. Asked Onc about veins today. He said the guitar string tightness will subside over time. The veins themselves will never return to normal as they’re fibrotic but mobility and stretch should return to normal. He didn’t seem worried at all which allayed my fears. Enjoy your MIL’s 70th bash this weekend – have fun!
Shells64 – hope you enjoyed shopping today.
AngelaG – sad to hear your son stopped celebrating his birthday after Princess Diana died. It still seems so recent when I think about it. Hope he’s planning a big bash to make up for it. Loved the doctors’ notes. Hope you have a great time at the Albert Hall and your hubby’s IBS settles down as it’s a nasty thing to have.
Woolfie – so pleased to hear you’ve had minimal SEs. It’s a good job given that you need to support your OH with his treatment. When is he due to start rads?
Honeymonster – haven’t heard of doodle.com but will have a look as it sounds useful. Hope you continue to feel good on Tax.
Jlr – pleased to hear things are going well – long may normal continue!
Hope you’re all able to get out this weekend and enjoy some good weather. Take care x
Guest user
Not applicable

Greetings from sunny Scotland
I'm just back from my maiden campervan trip, it gets a big thumbs up 10/10 we had a fab time touring the Highlands and enjoying the stunning scenery. I took my thermometer and worried we'd have to come home sooner but I surprised myself, enjoyed the fresh air, even mustered the energy to go cycling for the first time in years. I felt like a big kid again and the weather was lovely and sunny, 20C some days. We had a few BBQs, walked along the beach, and slept like a log at night.
I hope you're all keeping well, I look forward to catching up with all your posts and news

Best wishes

K

aren xxx

Nipinuk

Pasta bake in the oven and I have a few mins! Boys all happy. It's Friday!! Woo hoo!
Jude - I hope your portacath fitting/insertion went well today. I think it's good that onc is being cautious and making sure that there's no problems with it before proceeding with chemo. It might be a bit uncomfortable with the tube and needle thing left in there from what I heard from Roadshow and Honeymonster.
Christine - forgot to ask if you've made any sorbet with your ice cream maker? I fancy trying to make a lemon sorbet in preparation for next chemo.
Roadshow - how are your veins? Are they any better or still like guitar strings? I can't wait to have pikachu out and my veins from the very first chemo is still aching. I wonder how long it'd take to heal up?
I'm so sorry to hear about your soreness n heavy menstrual bleeding. I really hope it gets sorted soon. Lots of get well soon vibes (n hugs) flying your way xx hang in there!
i think it's disgraceful that Mount Alvernia are treating patients in such an awful environment! It's time you gave them a right Roadshow bollocking 😄 lemme know when you do it as I wanna see!
Nora - all the best with your wig hunting tomorrow. Don't you get a free one? My rat has been delayed yet again! Called them up and they offered an alternative but I didnt want that so I told them that I'll wait. Hope I get it before Christmas! it's close to my hair colour with red streaks!
pinger on ovens just gone! Speak later girlies!
xx
Woolfie

Hello everyone,
unless I make notes I forget what I want to comment on to individuals but here goes anyway.
Angela how exciting to be going to the Albert Hall to see your grand daughter perform. Have a wonderful evening. I hope all goes well with your house sale and you manage to get away by the end of August. Also hope your OH's IBS gets better soon. Loved the doctors' comments and joke.
I cannot believe how things have gone this cycle. The only side effects I have had was constipation starting on about the 4th day after infusion accompanied by acute lower abdominal pain. I think I need to be ready for this next time I don't like taking anything so might just eat lots of fruit and veg brown rice seems to help also. I am interested to read how treatment differs slightly from region to region. I am given anti sickness meds via drip before they give me my chemo ( I think steroids are involved) then on first two days after I take dexamethasone and ondansetron I have not needed to take any of the domperidone ( or Dom Perignon as I call it) and I have not had any nausea. Am I just lucky?
My line gives me no problems at all. Fingers crossed that all this continues. Have 3rd fec on Tuesday.
it is perhaps a good thing as I am having to give lots of support to OH. He has had lots of hospital visits for scans and for a mask making which he has to wear during radiotherapy. We are going to book taxis to take him to the hospital as waiting around for hospital transport will not be good. On the days I am ok I will go with him and we are lining up friends and family if that is not possible. What happened to this looking after myself and making sure I get better! He is coping well.
I would love to meet up with everyone when the time is right. It has been so supportive being able to share experiences with you all hope everyone has a trouble free weekend
Jlr

Fec-t cycle 4 , first docetaxol

Hi all, this was a much quicker infusion and no reaction, feeling ok at the minute but I guess only time will tell? Glad to know that I only have two more to go as really struggling with veins now!

Will update tomorrow with any side effects but currently feel perfectly normal xx
Nipinuk

FEC 75 cycle 3 day 9
Angela - hope you have a fabulous time watching your granddaughter tomorrow at the Albert Hall. How exciting! I remember the day Princess Diana died. We were just relocating from Singapore to Basingstoke and the company put us up at the Hilton there. We went down for breakfast and we could sense the somber atmosphere straightaway and it was a shock. I'm pleased to hear that your son is finally celebrating his birthday after all these years.
Thank you so much for cheering us up with your poems and jokes. They are very much appreciated.
33 years of decluttering to do - gosh, I envy you not! Bit I'm sure you'll get it done. Why don't you just mention to your dear daughter that you're feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the sorting and packing to do, pause a bit and if she didn't get the hint to ask if she'd mind helping?! Your poor hubby, don't want his IBS getting any worse. Stress certainly doesn't help. Moving house in the same country is one of the most stressful experiences in ones life (for me anyway!). Moving house with over 30 years worth od stuff... it'll be worth it Angela!
i do hope everything goes to plan and that you have a smooth sale.
great to hear that Emend worked for you. I'm faced with the dilemma of being sick for 48hours and having sore throat after or feeling sick and off water for 4 days...really hard to decide which I'd prefer!
blimey, where has the time gone?!! I have to get the pasta bake ready as youngest is having two school friends over to play. They'll have fun walking back and chatting with each other. Eldest just wants to catch up with playing on the computer 😉
honeymonster - great to hear you're doing well and better on this compared to FEC. I've tried doodle for clients ages ago for arranging meetings which was great. I think we'll need everyone's location and manually get the most convenient meet up location and do a trip advisor search to get a good place to meet. My laptop's dead after giving in and letting boys go on it. Found my recovery disks today but had to back peddle as I need to back up the hard disk first. Sigh, so little time and so much to do.
take care all and will continue when I can xx
Pammyx

Nipinuk - I have had one session of life coaching I find it useful it is not at all like counselling. I am very aware that I am going to find life difficult after this treatment in terms of dealing with the diagnosis and living with the chances of recurrence. The session consisted of looking at tactics to deal with your emotions it is to do with living in the moment, dealing with anxiety and putting your emotions into conext. Concentrating on the day and the moment is very useful dealing with the here and now rather than dwelling on what has been or what can happen, she looks at techniques such as sitting quietly for 10 minutes giving yourself an awareness of what is around you and how you are feeling now. It is a bit like putting yourself back to being a 5 year old child when we enjoyed the moment before becoming conditioned and anxious. She has given me the exercise of writing 5 good things that have happened during the day and I am not allowed to repeat them they could be simple things like the bluebells in the wood. This is just a flavour of the first session and it seems to help me at the moment part of my realisation was that I was going to need help it also helps with lifdislikedislike
shells64

Hi ladies
hope u are all doing well .im good at the moment went garden shopping yesterday it was nice getting out going shopping again today just food shopping but looking farward to it lol
Honeymonter- pls all went well on tax just make sure u have some e45 cream because skin can get dry hope u have a nice day xx
NIPINUK- How are u im going on fec on the 20 may and i was going to ask about emend because of my ulcer its so hard to known what to do
Roadshow how are u
anglea-how are u have i miss your post lol
woofie- how are u i feel ive miss a lot of post
anyone else i missed hope u are all ok have a good day pop back later shelley xx
AngelaG

hi honeymonster we HOPE to leave at the end of August all being well. i guess it depends on how long a wait between end of chemo and start of 3 weeks of rads. Can't wait though. our son is celoebrating his birthday for the first time in 17 years on the 31st august with a big party, (stopped celebrating when Princess Dianna died that day of his 21st birthday), so i guess we will be here for that and then go.
hope you are well. Emend has been great for me, along with 2 other meds, i've had no sickness or nausea this cycle. the onle SE has been water retention and tiredness. no infections this low immune week (now ended) and feeling very well. did have a massive bruise appear on inner wrist which i think was due to carrying a bag on that arm (PICC side) it swelled up, but has since gone down and pain gone.
have a great day. LOve Angela x
Honeymonster

Red face this morning but still no sickness, so nice not to feel that, hope it lasts and the aches and pains which I think are due aren't too bad. Nipinuk I didn't like Emend much either, they have givem me less anti-sickness this time - just 3 days of steroids, started day before, higher dosage though so popped sleeping tablet last night as was buzzing. Also got usual domperidone but that's it. Oh and the dreaded injections. You sound like you have a busy time, hope all goes well. Just been looking at Doodle.com for arranging a meet-up, but it had more on voting for days and time rather than places, could try poll daddy or google docs.. Angela, when are you planning on moving?
Enjoy the day xx
Nipinuk

FEC 75 Cycle 3 Day 8
hello everyone! It's been quite chilly today hasn't it? I'm just watching a repeat off Embarassing Bodies. They've got a bit abut breasts and reconstruction.
i noticed with taking Emend to avoid being actually sick on chemo 3, my water intake has significantly reduced (because i felt nauseous everytime i drank) and as a result my tongue and a couple of areas of my lip feel sore and I'm expecting ulcers. I might decide not to take Emend because although I wasn't sick, I felt constantly nauseous for days. When I was sick for 2 days during chemo 2 at least I had periods of relief. Just have to decide the lesser of 2 evils!
Christine - I had a look at the Architectural Plant link you sent. I went to the plant ordering page and laughed when I read the last sentence on that page which said, "If you can't face farting around on the computer - just phone us..."! Love it! Did you get some nice banana plants? Googled the location and its about 1.5 hours drive away. I was thinking that when we're all feeling better, we could try meeting at a halfway point to try and get as many Marchies as possible together?
Haha, getting the boys to do sometdepends a challenge. Have you tried tears?! Eldest has been more generous with hugs and kisses since my outburst. I try to get them to do the basic stuff and then slowly add a bit more. As I spent ages 2 days ago cleaning our bathroom, I made both boys go back and clean up the shower cubicle to minimise the water marks. Russ is normally around to back me up which helps tremendously as I don't always have the strength to follow it through. Eldest just learnt to do pizza at food tech this week and offered to do it this Sat. Bad timing as we'll be away.
Penguin (Diane) - lovely to hear from you. How r u? i haven't been to the Feb thread for ages as its a job keeping up with this one! Glad I'm not the only one with kids obsession with screens! Lol, my memory's really gone to pots. Spent ages looking for an important receipt. I was so sure I'd put it in my purse but found it later on my desk amongst old receipts!
Suzy - how r u? You made my mouth water when you mentioned dim sum! Oh I also love prawn and char siu cheong fun...went to a really good Chinese restaurant many years ago in Bayswater and the dim sum was to die for! Did you grow up in Hong Kong? Was your dad a diplomat or something? Can you speak any Cantonese? I can understand more than I can speak!
What is hubby working on in yr chateaux? Mine's tiling the main bathroom. He worked for 2 evenings making a raised vegetable bed in the garden. I'm waiting for warmer weather to get the potatoes and a few seed in.
Woolfie - does your picc bother you at all? I had my line flushed this morning. I must say that my arm is much better although the vein used for first chemo is still aching. Can't remember is you've told us, have you managed to sort out transport when hubby starts radiotherapy?
Pammy - When is your pro life coaching session? Over here, we just get counselling. Coaching sounds good. Ahh, so you'll know where I live very well. We used to live in Bitterne but now between Southampton and Winchester. I used to study in Huddersfield and Manchester was a bit of a dive then. It's much much better now!
Gosh, spent more than an hour reading and replying and I've got a long way to go still. Need bed though.
honeymonster - hope the tax infusion went well. You should be home about now!
Take care all. Might not write till after weekend as I've got an early start tomorrow and will be busy till evening with school friends coming over to play. Saturday in London to celebrate mother in laws 70th. Might have visitors Sunday.
night night! Xx
Honeymonster

No sorry that's a shame - we live in St Albans, but have friends in Haywards Heath who we visit once a year probably. Any of those places would be doable but maybe after treatment x
Mungos_mum

Hope Tax continues to be good to you.
If you've driven down the 272, does this mean we live quite close? I am about 8 miles north of Horsham, on the Surrey / Sussex border. May be we could meet at Architectural Plants! Or everyone up at the tree house at Fanny's Farm. x
Honeymonster

Fec-T cycle 4 (TAX 1, day 1- Herceptin day 2)
Well that's over with and feels so good to have just 2 left, I know I still have long journey with op, radiotherapy, year of Herceptin plus tamoxifen 5 years but getting through it now.
I don't feel at all like I did on FEC when I had to retire straight to bed feeling very sick. I feel quite good, hope it lasts!! Was much quicker too - about an hour and so much better through my new port.
Mungo's mum - I've driven past that garden centre on way to see friends - we always say we must stop and take a look but never have.

Speak soon, have a good evening x
Mungos_mum

Just come back from visiting a plant nursery which actually had my OH interested! In Sussex, off the A272 Horsham to Haywards Heath road. http://www.architecturalplants.com/ They offer drinks to customers, but don't have a coffee shop as such, although they do have a fantastic Italian coffee machine! Well worth a visit if you are down this way.
Got to dash, now off the Pilates (or rather sit on a chair and exercise your affected side!!)
C xx
Mungos_mum

Morning All,
Feeling a bit cheerier today, I've been promised a trip to an unusual plant centre this morning and I'm hoping to come back with some banana plants.
Angela - I'm with you on the head stubble. It is so frustrating that the immune hair follicles are all grey! I feel a bit apprehensive as to how it will grow back, I might end up with a headful of white hair! The doctors' notes made me laugh, I just wonder what they have written about me over the years! A wonderful story about your friend. I hope she continues to defy the medical profession for many years to come.
Pammy - I haven't bought calippo lollies since the boys were small - mini magnums are the frozen treat of choice at the moment. I will invest in some, thanks.
Honeymonster - hope the Tax goes well today, let us know how it goes, as I know a number of us are changing to Tax this cycle. xx
Sophie - I haven't been able to drink water for weeks. I have taken to mixing fruit juices with water. I can see myself filling my freezer with different types of lime lollies!
Carol - You've had a busy week! I hope you haven't had any adverse affects from the party! hope the good times keep rolling.
Granny P - it is great to get advice from those further along with treatment. I have been an avid reader of the Valentines thread, you are all so supportive of each other and have been so honest about your experiences that it has helped me to prepare for my treatment.
Nipinuk - hope you are feeling OK, glad you will stay with us! How do you get your sons to help you? I can't even get my husband to give me a back rub without at least a written request in triplicate three days in advance!
Best wishes to all. Hope all treatments go smoothly
Christine xx
Nipinuk

Christine - how awful! I just hope that things work out with the insurance. what a pain. the forms to fill n report to make, feel for you.
Honeymonster - glad everything went ok and that the food was good! Which hospital? Will go there if I need to 😉 I like Angela's suggestion for nickname.
Quick one, have been busy catching up with housework, school runs and washing. Line care then reflexology. Hope it doesn't get blocked. Angela your blood is good as clotting function works 😉 platelets must be good.
night all. Xx
granny_p

Evening ladies just popping in from the Valentines,on my 4/6 Fec...just a couple of suggestions for metal mouth....Calippo lollies and lemonade with lime cordial..Also on the 2nd chemo ive started with terrible sweats last week Onc doc suggested taking 1300mg of evening of primrose twice a day think you will only get the higher dosage at Holland and Barrett it takes a couple of weeks to kick in so thought id let you ladies know early enough,,,thinking of you all,...xx
AngelaG

FEC75 CYCLE 3 DAY 13
Good evening everyone. Had line care today and it was blocked again, so it took longer than planned. Had to flush with 30 mins of saline, then it was ok. It was a nice afternoon too, so missed out on the fresh air. Still I did meet a friend this morning and had a good old chin wag. 21 years ago she had “terminal” cancer, and has lived with that until 2-3 years ago when she was pronounced cancer free. So it CAN be beaten despite the odds against. She was told she couldn’t have children so took no precautions on honeymoon & got pregnant. She was told if she got pregnant again she would definately die. She got pregnant. Today those children are 21 and 19 and she is still here. Every Christmas Eve she had results for next 12 months as to whether she would be alive the next Christmas. She’ll be 50 next year.
Carol – you seem very upbeat and busy. Good on you. Glad your bruising has cleared up. Hair clinging on...it’s only my grey hairs that have not yet departed, all those with any colour have gone though. I’m getting used to wearing my wig out now. I don’t know if it’s my imagination, but I’m getting what seems to be admiring looks from some people. Maybe there has been a pretty young thing behind me though!!!
Christine – poor you, that’s the last thing you need at this time. I hope you get over the shock and stress quickly and that everything is sorted out without too much anxst.
Sophie – thanks for the lolly tip. I’ll look out for those and try them for next round. Yes water isn’t the same anymore is it. Even squash and water is mot so nice. I stick to tonic water, Bovril and occasional weak coffee.
Shelley – do you like any spicy foods? That might be worth a try when your taste is impaired.
Honeymonster – how about “plug-me-in” . Hope you’re not too tired after today. Make sure you take it easy tomorrow.
Is everyone else ok? Hope you are enjoying yourselves, and that’s why you’re not posting yet.
Have a great evening dear ladies.
Real Doctors Notes
1. Patient has two teenage children, but no other abnormalities.
2. Patient has chest pain if she lies on her left side for over a year.
3. On the second day, the knee was better, and then on the third day it disappeared.
4. The patient is tearful and crying constantly. She also appears to be depressed.
5. Discharge status: Alive, but without my permission.
6. Healthy-appearing decrepit, 69-year-old male, mentally alert but forgetful.
7. The patient refused autopsy.
8. The patient has no previous history of suicides.
9. Patient has left white blood cells at another hospital.
10. Patient's medical history has been remarkably insignificant with only a 40-pound weight gain in the last three days.
11. She is numb from her toes down.
12. Occasional, constant, infrequent headaches.
13. I saw your patient today, who is still under our car for physical therapy.
14. Skin: somewhat pale but present.
15. The patient has been depressed since she began seeing me in 1993.
Cassowary

Honeymonster - pleased to hear that your day is going to plan. The six hour review with herceptin is a real pain, but better than the alternative of having to be rushed back if you should have an allergic reaction. Just chill and enjoy the food for the evening.
jude
Honeymonster

I'm pleased to say hospital food had been good - veg crumble, potatoes and cabbage for lunch and veg & lentil stew with dumplings, croquettes and peas just now. Not bad. Now I'm sad that I chose yoghurt over cheesecake as I didn't trust that!! You can tell I'm on steroids as obsessing about food!
Herceptin going in right now, portacabin behaving itself. I have to stay in 6 hours afterwards so won't be able to go home until about 12 tonight 😞
Choccy61

Honeymonster, glad all went well. When I mentioned portacath to my dad earlier, he thought I said portacabin! Not exactly a nickname, but it made me laugh! Good luck with the hospital food!

Christine, poor you! Not something you need at the moment - hope the insurance companies get it sorted quickly and glad you had a witness. It's hassle at the best of times.
Carol xx
shells64

Hi honeymonster
gald all went well you are talking hospital food lol
shelley xx
Honeymonster

Portacath just fitted, all went well and not as bad as I feared. Now waiting for Herceptin to use shiny new port. Nipinuk I need a nickname for it.
I'm hoping hospital food is ok today - chosen veg crumble, hopefully they can't do anything too bad to that. I've been put off hospital soup and sandwiches permanently now!
See you soon xx
shells64

Hello ladies
TAX CYCLE 3 DAY13
Well i still hurt legs fingers and toes taste still getting me down would just like to taste things but i had a lovely day yesterday just sitting in garden having a nice chat with my sister it help take the pain away having something to do i think
Roadshow- sorry to hear u are in pain.but gald to hear your in good spirits take care have a good dayxx
Honeymonster- Hope your portacatt fitting goes well today thinking of u take care let us known how things go xx
Nora betty- i feel a lot better thank u im a bit worried about going onto fec just finished taxs that happens on the 20 xx
Pammy-will try them lollies thank u
Anglea - pls to hear u had a great time with your grandson .my grandchildren are coming over this weekend i cannot wait .Yes had a lovely day yesterday it was hot here in mk
Cicca- i known what u mean by the water im hoping to get some taste back now i finish taxs
well ladies i hope u all have a nice day will pop back later take care shellley xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Following on from Pammy's lolly tip - Waitrose Essential Lemon Juice Ice Lollies pack of 6 - also do wonders for relieving chemo mouth. I still can't get over how even the texture of water has changed ..... feels like Im drinking oil! Sophie x
Mungos_mum

Hi All,
I must be out of sorts, it has taken me half and hour to work out that I can't comment because I wasn't logged in!!
I am feeling a bit frazzled tonight because someone hit me whilst driving round a round-a-bout tonight by drifting into my lane, and had the audacity to jump out of his car and accuse me of all sorts, including smoking something suspect!!! the pain hasn't kicked in quite hard enough to warrant that yet 😉 Given his wheel arch scraped my side door, it is clear I was ahead. A witness thankfully backed me up. Now just have to argue with the insurance agencies. NOT what I need at the moment!
I won't leave personal messages today, but I hope everyone is feeling better. Best wishes to those having treatment tomorrow Honeymonster - I hope the port fitting goes well tomorrow.
Hugs all round, and sleep fairies to those who need them,
Christine xx