cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spring into chemo in March

suzy52

Re: Spring into chemo in March

Evening All
Just got back from the hospital, yes another incarceration, but at least only 24 hrs this time. It seems they have decided I'm TAX sensitive! Now they tell me So its a good job I'm going back to FEC next time! I got to 38.9 but there was no infection and cell count was fine, so they just kept me in till the fever broke. Just shared a birthday dinner for my friends Dad, and everything tasted odd, oh for normal taste to resume.
Honeymonster and Karen, great you got your surgery dates, movin on up as they say:) Funny the things we can look forward to after chemo! Daffodil, do you have a surgery date?
Jude each cycle seems harder to kick back from, I supose the fatigue is accumulative, I'm finding it an up hill struggle.
Angela no I don't have a sister, be interesting to see my doppleganger 🙂 I know what you mean about unexpected moments of emotion, frightened the OH the other day when I threw a wobbly in a self-service restraunt, faced with the choice of what to have for lunch, I burst into tears and left the decision to him. Felt somehow like I had a big arrow above my head with a sign saying 'danger cancer patient' - completely irrational, but then so is this bloody diease.
Love to all - will look at posts more carefully tomorrow xxxxxx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Honeymonster
Yes for somestrange reason I'm thrilled and excited about my surgery. We'll be able to continue to keep each other company

during our recoveries. Have a good weekend hope you feel better soon xx

Honeymonster

Hi Karen, I got my op date yesterday of 18 July so just before you - will be mx. It's good having a date now isn't it? Thanks for best wishes daffodil, I'm feeling very tired at moment, hope that the blood transfusion on Saturday will help with that. Have a lovely weekend, forecast looks much better. X
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi ladies
I got the date for my surgery the 25th July. I have to wait until I have my final chemo then various scans until they decide if it will be a Mx or Wle. For the first time in my life I'm looking forward to an operation. If you ladies have any tips for me as to what questions to ask my surgeon it would be much appreciated.
Love Karen xxx
Cassowary

Hi Ladies,
All going OK after a longer recovery period for treatment no. 4 - just more fatigue than previously, not helped by fact that my Onc appears to have forgotten to prescribe the four days of Ondandestron which meant I relied on Domperidone once Emend was completed. I am seeing him today so will try to ensure that it is sorted for next week.
Angela - I have also looked at the recipe book you bought and agree that it is not really suitable for BC chemo ladies. On Radio Four's Food programme from 20th May an interesting review of nutritional advice (or the lack of it) for patients undergoing treatment. It is available on the IPlayer for anyone wanting to listen. There is also a link to a nutritionist called Conner ? who has a cookery book called Zest for Life. Based on what I heard and read on the website, I have ordered a copy and will update hear with my thoughts once I receive it.
Daffodil66 - completely agree that you can run out of steam before you know it. The horrid weather helps us to some extent I suppose.
Hope everyone else is feeling OK. Take care
Daffodil66

Hi Ladies, I hope eveyones ok. Apart from watery eyes, poor vision & less energy, I seem to be doing ok. I have been making the most of good days & been out alot but now realise that it catches up with you! Just so much to fit in on the good week though. Tax tuesday seems to be coming around too fast & I normally get a bit depressed the weekend before chemo so planning a trip to west wittering on saturday. I'm hoping no 5 is easier this time, but will be more prepared with pain killers & easy meals. My eyelashes seem to be disappearing now & my eyes look puffy, despite using lgfb lancome gel. Oh well, not long to go & will have my body back. After surgery anyway, I hope you girls who had surgery first won't leave us as we will need lots of advice & tips;)! Has anyone heard of a heart cushion for mx support? I don't think my eyesight is up to sewing anything at the moment though :P.
Honeymonster - I hope you are doing ok after no 5?
Jlr - I hope no 5 goes ok tomorrow & se's are more manageable this time.
Will pop back later xxx
AngelaG

FEC75 CYCLE 4 DAY 13
Suzy – do you have a sister named Patsy living in SE London. My ex neighbour and you could easily be sisters. She’s a retired headteacher. I guess my working with children for 40 years probably gives me the skills and patience for YGS! The 2 BBQ’s wee lovely. I ate protein at the 1st and carbs at the 2nd and we were out maybe 3 hours, which was enough. What with going to a farm shop and a walk in the morning, I was a bit tired! How’s your temperature? I hope you’re not in hospital...
Christine – was the 1st lot of AB’s by any chance vencomycin (spelling?)? I had a reaction to that because it was given too fast, 30 mins instead of 90. I turned bright red and my head itched terribly official name "red man syndrome"! BTW I think aloe vera gel would be ok to put on the rash, it’s very healing.
Woolfie – I hope your enjoying your GD tonight, and that you won’t be too exhausted tomorrow. I went to a farm shop on Monday and bought a cookery book “Healthy Eating During Chemotherapy” it’s good, but really not so appropriate for BC chemo people I think, but I was wondering about your OH, as the dishes are very appropriate for those with difficulties eating. Do you have the book, or would you like the one I have?
Nora – thank you for the compliment. Ok I went to your profile to take a closer look at the pic...yes, now I see the cat! Quite laid back isn’t s/he.
Honeymonster – my gosh, when you get energised, you get ENERGISED!!!
Daffodil – glad you too are feeling good recently.
JLR – will be thinking of you tomorrow.
Karen – I tink you are worse than me for shoes!!! It sounds as if you had a wonderful time with your parents, and that it revitalised you enormously. Well done. BBQ (see above), D, yes, I think it paid off letting my guard down and emotions loose. I didn’t plan it that way, but am glad she realised a little bit what we ladies are going through. Even though #5 is next week, and then almost finished, I can’t help feeling overwhelmed with it all sometimes and kind of invaded in some strange way. I don’t often think like this, only rarely but...
Anyway lovely ladies, hope tomorrow is a good day for us all.
Angela xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi ladies
Hope you're feeling well today? I met a lovely girl from the Valentines today, we met for coffee and two hours later we were still chatting. We met at lgfb. It is such a relief to speak to others on the same rollercoaster. Look after yourselves
Karen xxx
Mungos_mum

FEC-T Cycle 4 Day 12
What a difference a day makes! The worst of the SEs seem to have gone, although tiredness still kicks in at odd times and I get the odd shooting pain through joints, though whether this is an SE or some form of arthritis kicking in is anybody’s guess!
We used the lovely weather over the weekend to tidy up the garden, and teach the boys some life skills in the process! Still got some tip runs to do, but it looks much better already. I have also made the step towards applying for an allotment in the village as there is a waiting list, and expect to be well beyond treatment before one comes available. Didn’t stop me whiling away a few hours this afternoon looking at seed catalogues!
Woolfie – Well done on the driving! I’m pleased you have found a suitable vehicle and you get to enjoy many trips out in “Van the man” (and not just for treatment!). I hope the Rads are not being too trying on your OH.
Nora – I did think that your picture was of a ballerina from swan lake! My eyes must be more affected than I thought!
Pammy – I hope you are feeling better now. I read somewhere that the first round is the worst because we still have FEC in our systems, so have rather more to deal with!
Honeymonster – Wow, steroids have an effect on you! Long may it last. I’m hoping all the SEs are less in cycle 5 – read above!!!! Hope the infusions go well today, but sorry you need a transfusion. Fingers crossed you will get the energy without the steroids over the weekend!
Daffodil – BBQ sounds lovely over the weekend. Glad you are feeling better, and soon to have cycle 5! We are all marching on towards the end of treatment; heaven knows what we will talk about when this is finished 😉
Janey - I’m glad your energy has returned enough to enjoy a walk to the pub! Such a reward is well worth the effort. I’m going to try to manage a walk around some gardens tomorrow, if the weather improves.
Karen – what lovely supporting parents you have, and what an idyllic weekend. It sounded rather more like a holiday! My rash has red skin raised spots and small blisters. Because of the blisters I am loath to put anything on them, particularly as the infusion site is the worst area. I am liberally applying E45 everywhere, so this is as good as any. The rashes are dying away now, but will discuss them at the pre treatment clinic. I’ll pass on any tips.
Roadshow – I hope you are feeling better at home and enjoyed your weekend. X
Best wishes to all,
C xx
Honeymonster

Scottydog - the time with your parents sounds lovely 🙂
Honeymonster

Infusion of Herceptin started now, tax to follow. My haemoglobin levels were low again 8.8, so will need a blood transfusion on Saturday, they said that's prob why I've been feeling tired, as I thought it was just Tax. Have been feeling very tired this cycle (apart from my manic day in steroids yesterday).
Guest user
Not applicable

AC cycle 4 day 12
Hi ladies
I hope you’re feeling a lot better and enjoyed the bank holiday weekend? I’ve had a lovely time with my parents, no matter how old I get I’m still a big kid at heart. Mum spoiled me with some shoe retail therapy, she got 5 pairs and I got 4 pairs to add to my collection. Dad and I cycled along the beach board walk every day. We went out for afternoon tea. My house has been transformed with pots of colourful flowers and shrubs thanks to their green fingers. We laughed and we cried…..I feel truly blessed to have such caring parents.
Mungos Mum - Sorry to hear about your bad reaction to Tax, hope you’re feeling more like yourself and SEs reduce. You mentioned rashes, have you put anything on it? My cheeks (face not bum) have come out in a rash and I’m unsure what to do. I put E45 on this morning. Any suggestions?
NoraB - I like the sound of your new hat and agree scarves are comfier than the rat.
Jlr - Glad you’re feeling much better and went out for tea. Good luck for Friday, I think you're the first to have #5? Great progress, you’re nearly done hurrah!
Honeymonster - Great to hear you’ve been so energetic, your cake sounds delicious.
Daffodil - Glad your aches and pains have reduced and you’re enjoying your social life again. This makes us appreciate the little things in life that we would normally have taken for granted.
Lisag - Are you having a good time with your parents?
Suzy - AKA L’Oreale girl, you are definitely worth it! That's a record pharmacy bill, are you able to get it refunded from the NHS? How’s your temperature today?
Choccy - Sorry you had a trip into hospital and glad you’re now home sweet home again.
Woolfie - You sound in good spirits, which is great. I’m glad you got the new car, your DH and you can enjoy the freedom. I admire you doing the Race for Life.
Angela - Glad your D came and cooked dinner for you and has offered more help, these little gestures make such a difference don’t they? 2 BBQ’s in a day, how did it go? I’m sure you had a great time catching up with your friends.
Nipinuk - I hope you and your boys are having lots of good times at the caravan and the weather is nice? Did you have a glass or two to celebrate your final chemo?
Best wishes to all having treatment this week
Karen xxx
Jlr

fec-T cycle 4 day 18

Hello ladies,
I am happy to say that I am still feeling much better! Managed a walk to the local pub for tea over the weekend which was really nice!

Just gearing myself up for round 5 on Friday! Dreading it! But at least after this there will only be 1 more to go! Spoke to the gp about stronger painkillers but she was reluctant to give me anything as she said the paracetemol and ibuprofen should be enough, she did relent in the end and gave me codeine but said they do bung you up which the chemo does too so not sure whether to take them or not!

Anyway hope you are all faring well, take care xx
Daffodil66

Hi Everyone,
I have been feeling good the last couple of days, having a lovely sociable time again & making the most of beautiful weather having bbq's. Funny how we appreciate our good days now, packing so much in & even having 2 bbq's in 1 afternoon (Angela)!
Carol - sorry to hear you've been stuck in hospital, hope you can enjoy some good days this week before the next hit.
Honeymonster - Good to hear you made the most of all that energy, hope it goes well today & the se's are easier to deal with this time round.
Maryland - Thanks for the tip, I will be more prepared next time.
I hope everyone else is doing ok & not long to go now 🙂 xxx
Honeymonster

FEC-T, cycle 5, day 1 Tax+Herceptin all going well with bloods this morning.
Morning everyone,
Hope everyone is doing ok today. Felt good to write Cycle 5 above, we're getting there!
Yesterday I had such a manic day due to 8 pre chemo steroids! Got so much done including 3 lots of washing, changed beds, grocery shopping, trip to Ikea to buy daughter a new desk (she loves it), baking a cake (yummy strawberry and white chocolate), making homemade lemonade and chicken tikka masala. Then ate the above. When I got to go to bed I was buzzing and couldn't sleep, took a sleeping tablet and even that took ages to work!
Thanks Maryland for the tips - the pains were really horrible last time but nice not to feel sick.
Take care everyone xxx
Maryland

Hi to everyone switching from FEC to TAX.....I was where you are a year ago and remember how hard it hits! Onc said that it's partly due to the different regime and partly due to the way TAX works and that it's made from the yew tree!! Lola's advice is spot on....dose yourself up with painkillers from day 1 or 2 .... para/ibuprofen combination as they work differently (check to see max doses) so that you have a constant level of painkiller in your system which should help mitigate symptoms.....best wishes

Pammyx

Hello everyone
Daffodil sorry to hear about your side effects I am on day 6 first tax also having side effects although not as bad as I thought they would be aches and pains at night regularly taking paracetamol and terrified of my temperature going up hope you are better soon.
shells 64 I too have consumed a large number of ice lollies and fruit in jelly seems to ease the mouth.
nipinuk hope you are well after your last one.
nora batty thanks for your best wishes I was in my way back from the isle of man only half way to Ireland.
Now going back to my bed good wishes to all who are receiving treatment in the coming week.
love pam
NoraBatty

Angela
My profile picture is our large and lazy cat stretched out on the bed – he is a good role model at present.... Glad to hear that you are getting out and about and hope that your find a buyer for your house soon. You have a lot going on right now. You and Suzy have a great way with scarves and they look fantastic Have now worn wig twice as still find soft cotton hats more comfortable and a friend bought me a lovely baker boy style hat which covers hairline so am well equipped!

Choccy61 Sorry to hear that you have been in hospital – glad you have now esacaped – hope you had a good weekend

Daffodil66 sorry to hear Tax is not going so well – hope SEs ease off for you. Look after and be kind to yourself and take the easiest option with cooking etc You seem to be having a rough time with the Taxotere

Honey monster – Glad to to hear you are out of hospital but great news that tumour is shrinking here’s hoping the little b***** disappears

Jlr Sorry to hear that you have had a rough time on the Tax but encouraging to hear that you are feeling better. Do you have 2 more to go?

Lola65 Interested to hear reason for the pain post injection of Lenograstim and also advice on monitoring temperature

Mungos_mumGlad to hear that your son is OK. Sorry to hear the Tax was pretty horrible – do hope things improve for you
Nipinuk Your wig looks great! Hope you got the mouth ulcers sorted out

PammyxHope you enjoyed trip to Ireland and that your first herceptinand tax went well

Roadshow – hope you are OK
Scottydog1974 hope the visit from your parents went well

Shells64 Hope the first FEC went OK. I found eating cold food the first day or so helped with nausea. Yes, I also have immunity boosting injections for 7 days post chemo as I have slightly lower than normal white blood cell count anyway. Hasn’t caused me too many problems just a bit of lower back pain on the final day.

Suzy52 Your scarf looks great – I’m not good with them at all and end up looking like a demented pirate. Got a very soft sleep cap from Anna Bandana which is really comfortable

Woolfie
Great photo your wig looks good! Hoper you get the wheelchair accessible vehicle sorted out and that it works well for you. As Angela said maybe check out hiring an electric wheelchair from somewhere like http://www.wheelfreedom.com/whyHire.aspx Take care
Nora xx
Woolfie

Choccy-glad you are home sounds as if you had a difficult few days.
Suzy-glad you enjoyed your day in the sun and hope your temp did not get any higher. It was glorious here yesterday.
Angela- hope you enjoy your bbq's. Hard with grandchildren isn't it? you want to see them but they can be exhausting. See so little of my granddaughter these days but she is staying with us on Wednesday night so we shall see how that goes.
I was very pleased with myself yesterday managed to drive the 2 and a half hours to Dorset and then back in the new, second hand WAV It wil suit our needs for now and we are going to try it out today for OH's hospital visit. thought he might escape rads today with it being a bank holiday but no such luck.
Going through this certainly does change your perspective on things-makes me even more determined to 'carpe diem' and not waste time arguing about things that I can do nothing about. The most I can do is make things for those around me the best they can be.
Have a lovely day everyone off to get ready now to head off to the Mall to see my daughter run then scurrying back to take OH to hospital in 'Van the man'.
Mungos_mum

FEC-T cycle 4 day 10
Hi Ladies,
Glad to read that everyone is enduring! Carol, glad you got home for the weekend.
I've had a really difficult few days on Tax, no energy and very odd SEs which were put down to the allergic reaction I had during the infusion, as well as an allergic reaction to the first lot of Abs I was given. I became revolted by anything sweet to the point that it made me sick. I have survived on chicken stock based vegetable soups and struggled to find anything I could drink. Finally tried tonic water (thanks for the idea Angela!) which was palatable, just! I've spent 5 days either in bed or lying on the sofa, but my energy returned suddenly at lunchtime today. We spent the afternoon gardening (well, I directed operations from the shaded bench!) and enjoyed a roast dinner this evening. I'm hoping that is the end of the worst of it, and i only have random rashes with minute blisters to heal before the next infusion.
Shelley - Give me FEC any time! hope you are coping OK with it. I needed the 3 days of anti sickness medication, with additional steriods (three tablets instead of the original 1), but started to feel better by day 4.
Enjoy your Bank holidays,
Christine x
suzy52

FECT-T cycle 4 TAX day 3
Had a lovely day with the OH in the sun!!! at last the weather picked up so we took advantage of it and went for lovely walks, Benson got a good swim in the lake and we had lunch in the sunshine 😄
I'm feeling really good, but my blasted temperature is 37.4 my constant is 36.5 so fingers crossed there's no dashing off to the hospital to night!
Carol - good to hear your home, hope you stay there and enjoy the sunshine 🙂
Angela, never having had children of my own I find loking after small people exhausting! Your very brave, but I'm sure have the knack! Your going to 2 BBQ's tomorrow reminds me of that Christmas vicar of Dibley show, when she had to eat several dinners, hope you don't end up too stuffed 🙂
nite nite all xxxxx
AngelaG

FEC75 CYCLE 4 DAY 10
Hi ladies. Just spent the weekend childminding YGS. It was very pleasant, but trying at the same time, especially when he didn’t want the nap and I did! We did both eventually succumb, but not before a blanket protest...yesterday he ripped off his pull ups and slept naked, and today he got hold of some polystyrene and ripped that up into his cot! But we did get to the park to see the squirrels and ride his scooter (or motor bike as he likes to think of it!). Tomorrow we have 2 BBQ’s to go to, one at 2 and the other at 4.so we’ll see some of our good friends in the open air, thus avoiding those germs. Hope the weather holds.
Suzy – I hope your feelings are going to come through for the house. And also that senna works it’s magic. Just how cold was it on Friday?
Carol – you’ll be home by now I expect. That is a relief I’m sure. Not seeing outside, even through a window must have made you stir crazy. I was reminded of my hosp stay. On the first day I was sleeping on and off for 36 hours, so my OH did the crossword and went home (on my encouragement). But then he only came in for ½ hour each day thereafter!
Well, I’m looking forward to some social life tomorrow, and hope you all enjoy your bank holiday.
Love Angela
Honeymonster

So pleased you're out of hospital - I'm sure being in makes you feel worse. xx
Choccy61

FEC-T, cycle 4, day 10 (Tax)

Finally going home 🙂

They wanted to wait and make sure my temperature didn't go up again and my heart rate was a bit fast but it slowed down so they're letting me out for good behaviour!

Suzy - I think the weather here on Friday was pretty dire too! I had a side room without windows to the outside world but from what I could gather I didn't miss much! Funny how something like this makes you re-evaluate life - I'm sure your scaled down plans won't spoil your enjoyment of living somewhere as beautiful as that, and you'll probably be able to get out and enjoy it even more! Hope the senokot works it's magic! Yes, I had GCS-F injections from day 3 and had done 5 when this happened. The only reaction I have is being slightly achey as if I'm coming down with a cold - lucky I took my temperature and didnt dismiss it as usual side effects! On FEC I started them on Day 5. Seeing the onco before next session as the plan had been to start herceptin with cycle 5 but maybe they'll wait now. One of her team came to see me on Friday and he said it's not uncommon for it to happen when chanjng from FEC to Tax but I really hope this doesn't happen again!

Angela - the protocol is within an hour of admission (at Basingstoke anyway). I bypassed A&E and was admitted straight to the Acute Assessment Unit which is normally only a temporary stay before being admitted to a ward. Unfortunately there weren't any beds on the chemo in-patient ward (unless I wanted to be a man!), so I stayed here all the time. Side room though, away from others' germs, with ensure so not all bad but I haven't seen daylight since I came in on Thursday! Hope you have some more viewings soon - maybe this warmer weather will get a few people out house hunting! OH and I never really have a problem chatting, but 3 days in hospital has exhausted us! I had my ipad and we were looking at holidays in the end! Dreading my data usage bill!!

Woolfie - you look fabulous in your new pic! Hope you have a good day out in Dorset today and that the vehicle is everything you need - one thing to make your life easier! My sisters both signed up for the 10K Race for Life in Southampton before I was diagnosed - they asked me, but I declined ...... Funny how things turn out! I'm going to do the 5K next year though.

Waiting for OH to come and get me then I can start my weekend! Have a good weekend everyone.

Carol xxx
suzy52

Hey Carol thats a bummer - hope your let out soon. Are you on cell booster injections? and did they isolate an infection? Interested to know if you had a reaction to the shots like me. I'm feeling remarkably normal tonight, except my system is backing up so the big guns are coming out tomorrow, senakot followed by dynamite!
Woolfie Hope the new car turns out to be eveything you both need. My OH and I have heated debates over all sorts of subjects ususally where the house project is going and what we can realisticaly achieve to make our lives comfortable. He has grand designs but we have been in living in a building site for too long now so I think the light has finally dawned on him and we have agreed to scale down the plans so we can spend some time living not just slaves to the project, BC has made me really rethink our objectives, which is a good thing. My nephew's girlfriend is doing the 'race for life' on the 1st - I was happy to sponser her 😄 good luck 5k is quite a walk!
Angela I have a good feeling about your house sale 🙂
Linda send me some of that glorious weather please! we just had the coldest recorded Friday since 1887! Hope my experience of the single shot Neulasta mirrors yours 🙂

Have a good weekend oxoxxox
AngelaG

FEC75 CYCLE 4 DAY 9
Suzy – I’m so pleased for you that things are going well re injections and lack of SE’s. That’s such good news. I can imagine my OH would have had a serious reaction to the bill!!!
Carol – I’m so sorry you were hospitalised this week. That was very bad practice not having AB’s for 2 hours. They should have acted within minutes I think...i don’t know what the protocol should be, but 2 hours..... I also had a similar experience re the PICC, they didn’t have the equipment to use it in my AnE and ended up with a canula in a vein just above the knuckle of my index finger as there were none elsewhere! Oh I hope you were able to return home tonight. I had bruises up my arm from other attempts. Steroid flush, not heard of that before, but it explains a lot, did get quite flushed a few days after chemo.
Woolfie – had a weepy moment with D and upshot was offer of more help, and also more concern shown. I think maybe they are so engrossed in their own lives that they don’t allow time to think sometimes. They do care, but life takes over. It must be so difficult for your OH and you with going through so much as individuals. I can’t beging to imagine how hard that must be. Conversationally, I realised that my OH didn’t cope well with an opinion opposed to his own, that for us used to be a source of friction and rows. Then I used to just not say anything in order to avoid conflict. But now, I am more able to express a different opinion in a way that usually doesn’t rankle, but if it does, I am able to hold my corner. We don’t row like we used to when younger which is a miracle!! I guess it’s not so much about changing the other but to actually listening to each other’s opinion. To be heard is more important than to be agreed with. I hope that you will both find a way to support each other that meets both your needs xx
Take care everyone, have a good weekend if you can
Angela xx
Woolfie

Honeymonster-great news!
Nipinuk- sounding stressed which is not like you. Do look after yourself if you don't you will not be able to look after others as you do. Hope last infusion went feckin' well whoopee for removal of picc.
ShellsHope you are doing ok on FEC. I have been lucky and not felt sick at all. Sore mouth and constipation on first two cycles but not this time. I was also advised not to take paracetamol as it masked high temp.
Roadshow -missing you ope you are home and feeling better soon.
Angela -great that your daughter has taken up the gauntlet and is cooking for you does she want to have a word with mine -it would never cross her mind! I do not read the newspaper and am not as interested in politics or current affairs as my OH but i do try to watch question time with him and it usually gets me going on something or other. We do not have the same ideas on thihgs so it can get a bit heated then I realise that after 20 odd years I am not going to change him so give up! I got a bit frustrated with our situation the other day and had to explain that I am not angry with him after all he cannot help what has happened but to ask him to try and understand that I feel my needs are sidelined again as I am supporting him. He is coping well with the radiotherapy but the feeding tube they fitted in his stomach on Wednesday is giving him some pain.
Suzy -you're definitely worth it!
Choccy61 -poor, poor you.
Going to Dorset tomorrow to look at what will hopefully be our new wheelchair accessible vehicle really hope it suits our needs and i will be driving it back! it will make those daily hospital visits with OH so much more manageable.
YD doing 10K run on Monday for breastcancercare starting and finishing in the Mall going to support her then 1st June OD, YD, GD and me doing 5K race for Life in Regents Park (there will be no racing involved!) will be walking for all my buddies on here!
have a good weekend everyone
Choccy61

FEC-T, Cycle 4, Day 9 (Tax)
Hello ladies!

My first experience of tax didn't quite go according to plan! Sending this from hospital, having been admitted on Thursday evening with a temp of 38.1 and feeling generally unwell. For those of you interested in numbers, first blood test results showed white cell count of 2 and neuts of 0.82! Not sure what my neuts are but my white cell count today s 35! Two of the onc Drs came to see me yesterday and were a bit horrified that I'd been in for 2 hours before I had my first lot of ABs. Also, nurse couldn't get PICC line to work so I have a cannula and a few punctures and bruises from attempts to get blood (though not from the same nurse who was very apologetic about the bruising from one of her colleagues!)

Anyway, more ABs going through now but heart rate still a bit fast. If my temp stays down all day (went back up last night) and heart rate slows down they'll send me home with oral ABs this evening, otherwise will review tomorrow.

Apart from that, tax wasn't too bad! No disconnected spaced out feeling and loads of energy last weekend (though I know that was the steroid effect!). I did have steroid flush, worse on Sunday and I'd stopped them by then - you could have fried an egg on my face! I had some pingy stabby pains all over my body for a couple of days but paracetamol and ibuprofen kept them under control and had a duvet day on Tuesday as I just had no energy. Will see what the next few days bring by way of SEs as I know some people experience them for quite a few days 😞

I have read all the posts but too many to catch up on I'm afraid. I hope any of you who are suffering start to feel better soon and those who are fit and well are able to get out and enjoy the long weekend 🙂

Bye for now
Carol xx
Lola65

TCH cycle 3 day 5

Suzy, I have the Neulasta single jab. Much easier. Day 5 and no pains. The paracetamol prevention routine does seem to work, at least for me. Even if it doesn't, it's harmless and worth a try.

I hope you are all able to enjoy this gorgeous weather while it lasts. xxx
suzy52

FEC-T Cycle 4 TAX day 2

So far so good 😄 eating sleeping and pain free! My onco has swaped out the Nivestim injection for Nulasta, so only one shot 🙂 and homefully no reations and hospital trips. OH is still recovering from the paharmacy bill - 1000 euros!He say's Ive become the L'oreal girl - ' because I'm worth it' 😉
Roadshow glad to hear through Nipinuk your hangin in there - hope your felling better each day xx
Lola I'm going to follow your preventative pain management regime, it sounds like a no brainer to me but its not been suggested here. Thanks for the tip!
Hope eveyone manages to enjoy a good bank holiday I will drop in later - time for lunch!
we will endure! xoxox
suzy52

FEC-T Cycle 4 TAX day 2

So far so good 😄 eating sleeping and pain free! My onco has swaped out the Nivestim injection for Nulasta, so only one shot 🙂 and homefully no reations and hospital trips. OH is still recovering from the paharmacy bill - 1000 euros!He say's Ive become the L'oreal girl - ' because I'm worth it' 😉
Roadshow glad to hear through Nipinuk your hangin in there - hope your felling better each day xx
Lola I'm going to follow your preventative pain management regime, it sounds like a no brainer to me but its not been suggested here. Thanks for the tip!
Hope eveyone manages to enjoy a good bank holiday I will drop in later - time for lunch!
we will endure! xoxox
AngelaG

FEC75 CYCLE 4 DAY 8
Hello, I now feel like I’m in the land of the living again after feeling so disconnected. A couple of good friends came and visited this week, and one took me for lunch locally, so that was a good distraction. I’m getting a little uncomfortable always having to tell people how I am, it’s nice to have other things to chat about. My D came last night and cooked pork in plum sauce. She wasn’t happy with it as it was a little watery, but at least she did it, and has now offered to drop one or two meals over during the 1st week after next chemo. OH is feeling a bit overwhelmed by everything (as so many others seem to be at this stage in the game). We haven’t had any viewers this week so far, so may have to drop the price a bit...oh pleeeease let us sell and the flat be still available.
Pammy – I know what you mean about not having much/anything to talk about with OH. I have tried to do more things independently, so at least then I have something to contribute. OH is a very good communicator, but I’m not...was brought up to be seen and not heard, and conversation in my childhood was non-existent. There’s a limit as to how much 1 of a pair can carry a ‘conversation’. He loves history & politics, which have not interested me, but I need to take some initiative.
Karen – I expect you are enjoying your parents company now...have a great chilled time with them, and be refreshed.
Nipinuk – your poor dear OH, fancy having to sort out the car door!! Sons and haircuts...mine (now 37) used to object to haircuts, so I said that it was ok, I would just change his name to Susan, that worked a treat!!! I hope you’re enjoying your time away, and hope that you too will be refreshed. I also hope that the preparations were not too much for you. After my doing too much after FEC 4, I know you may well have suffered the consequences. PICC out woohoo! Freedom! Forgot to put cooker on...and that was BEFORE chemo! Did you ahve a take away instead?
Daffodil – I had a mental image of you in a cage then! Hope you can feel more normal very soon. The reference to Basil Fawlty also made me smile!
Honeymonster – glad you enjoyed LGFB – agree about the chemicals, but non-the-less very generous of the different companies to donate so much stuff to us all. I am so pleased that your tumour is shrinking. A celebration indeed would be in order.
Shelley – I hope you are feeling a bit better today and the sickness and pain are easing off. When I felt sick, I called in to the chemo ward and they told me to ask GP to give me script for extra anti-sickness pills. So now I’m on domperidone and cyclazine 3x a day each, and they seem to have helped. Don’t suffer in silence, even if it’s only once that you feel bad, they will/should give you something. Last cycle I took them for about 2 weeks then stopped, and it’s the same this time too x I think you should call your chemo ward to tell them about the nausea and hot flushes and sleeplessness, I’m sure they could give you something now rather than wait for next cycle. Take care and I hope things I'mprove.
Roadshow – we can guess you are going through some tough stuff from your absence here. We all miss you, and wish you a very speedy recovery. All our thoughts are with you. Keep going, and you WILL come out the other side xx look forward to hearing from you very soon.
Well, I hope everyone has a geed weekend, and that the sun will shine for at least some of it. It’s raining and grey at the moment here in SE London. I really fancy dim sum, and I’ve not long finished breakfast!!!
‘Geed’? I mean ‘good’ of course!!!!
Love Angeal (oh dear, now I can’t even spell my name)
shells64

Good Morning ladies
Hope everyone is feeling a lot better today i must say last night was not good feeling sick i hope it passes soon also not getting a lot of sleep due to hot flashes well ladies have a good day will pop back later xxx
Daffodil66

Thanks lola will definatley try that next time. Going to write it down now as Will never remember! I wasn't told any if this, at the time. It seems to be a case of deal with it & see you in 3 weeks. Maybe I just don't ask enough or the right questions whilst I'm there. Xxx
Lola65

Hi Daffodil,

I don't know if your pain was Tax or Neulasta. I do know that Neulasta is a major cause of bone pain because of the way it works. It goes into your bigger bones like hips and pelvis to encourage the bone marrow to produce more white cells etc. It is the most common side effect of the Neulasta, but as Tax can also cause bone pain, there is no way of knowing what is causing yours. All I know is what my oncologist told me, which is prevention is better than cure. Paracetamol taken as a 3 day course will help to prevent it. If you leave it till the pain starts, you are probably too late.
I take my temp immediately before my paracetamols.

I hope you manage to control it. xxx
Jlr

You sound exactly the same as me daffodil66, as well as the pain I have been properly exhausted couldn't raise myself off the couch and I would agree it took about 10 days to lift, never felt anywhere near that on Fec. xx
Daffodil66

Hi,
Shelley - I was over the worse 3- 4 days after & back to my normal self within a week. I found each cycle got easier but did also have iv anti sickness & emend to take. I also found that it dissapeared overnight rather than dragging on like this tax. Hope you wake up brighter tomorrow.
Jlr - Same, rather be back on the fec too! I didn't have any se's until day 4, then it struck, not just joint & muscle pain but exhaustion too. Day 10 for me today & first time I have felt well enough to drive. They say it has a accumulative effect too, great!
Lola - I was fine with the neurastra when taking fec so would it have caused the pain with tax do you know?
xxx
Nipinuk

FEC 75 cycle 4 day 1
just got back and having some noodles at the moment. Thank you all for your lovely messages. I'm all drugged up. Feeling a bit nauseous so will keep this short. PICC has been taken out - yay!
roadshow has been in hospital and due to be home today. Poor lass has been struggling to control sickness. I'm sure she'll post when she can.
I was rushing this morning to do a chicken, stock, beans and veg in slow cooker and forgot to turn it on!
take care all xx
shells64

HI JIR
BEEN CAREFUL WITH PARACETAMOL THEY CAN HIDE YOUR TEMPT BUT I DO NOW HOW U FEEL ON TAXS I HATE IT BUT ANY PROMBLES GO TO HOSPITAL I DID TWICE YOU TAKE CARE SPEAK SOON XXX
Lola65

Hi Jlr,

When are you starting your paracetamols? My onco told me to take 2 immediately after my Neulasta jab, and continue taking 2 every 6 hours for 3 days. (no more than 8 a day) Then stop. I've had 3 cycles of Tax and 2 Neulastas up to now, and it has worked for me. No bone pain at all.

xxx
Jlr

I Hate tax, am dreading the next infusion a week tomorrow, I do feel a lot better now but it's taken nearly 2 weeks! I did find on Fec that for 48 hours after the neulasta injection I suffered with bone and muscle pain but could control it with paracetamol and ibuprofen. With tax the pain was horrendous and the paracetamol was just not cutting it! Would rather go bak to Fec any day, much more manageable xx
shells64

HI JIR AND NORABATTY
Thank u so much did u have the injection with fec they are getting on my nerves lol
JIR- How are u doing on taxs i now all were having a bad time well i did so i known how u feel if u need to known anything about tax just let me known
Well ladies thanks again speak soon xx
Jlr

Hi shells64

I was lucky and didn't suffer any nausea on Fec but I was given anti sickness infusion before chemo and then anti sickness tablets to take for 3 days after and also domperidone to take as and when needed (I found I didn't need to take these at all) hope it passes quickly for you xx
NoraBatty

Hi Shells64
I started to feel OK by about day 5. Hope the nausea and sickness are not too troublesome. I was advised to take meds 30 mins before eating. Also found eating smaller amounts at frequent intervals helped. Take care and hope you feel MUCH better soon

Nora x
shells64

Hi ladies
just a quick question how long to u feel sick on fec this is my day 3 feeling a bit better ?
NIPINUK-good luck for today thinking of u xx
I HOPE U ALL HAVE A GOOD DAY SPEAK SOON TAKE CARE XXX
AngelaG

just heard this quote... just remember that however dark the day may seem, there's always dawn in the morning
have a good day xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Honeymonster congratulations thats fantastic news onwards on upwards we will beat this xxx
Cassowary

Honey Monster - great news, a positive to take forward. Good that obe of us Marchies is getting some good news. Jude
suzy52

Evening all
Great news Honeymonster! We are all 😄 for you.

Daffodil hope Basil collected your order ok and you have some good lookin new threads to wear!

Karen have fun with your Mum and Dad, its hard for me being here in France for 6 months, I usually pop ove3r to visit my Mum quite often, we have to make do with the phone.

Nipinuk hope your all set for tomorrow and able to relax tonight. My brothers always hated going to the barbers, my Mum would issue an ultimatum, no haircut no dinner, worked every time - we're a greedy clan!

Shells glad the FEC is better for you than TAX, I just got one more TAX then 2 FEC.

JLR Shells and Honeymonster I too am worried about Roadshow - its been ages since her last post.

Pammy made me smile about looking out for the runs on TAX, as I've just been to the chemist to get some gentle laxitive in store as I always get bunged up for the first 10 days, then its the reverse.
Last day before round 4 so rushing around like the proverbial blue ..... fly
xx We Endure
Pammyx

Had first tax today so far so good but early days had a strern warning from onc about dangers of diarrhoe I am to contact them immediately if this happens have now painted all my nails black and made a real mess of it never mind. Best wishes for those who have treatments this week.