1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spring into chemo in March

Woolfie

Re: Spring into chemo in March

Hi everybody haven't posted for a while. tend to read posts on ipad but find desktop easier to type on.
Mrs B cogratulations on completing Race for Life.It's a goodfeeling isn't it? You are right to be proud. Feels like you are giving a bit back.
Angela sorry you didn't get the flat. Something will turn up I hope. Also for your son it is so hard for young people. I also felt for you and your daughter. Mine has just had her boyfriend of six months move in with her and her and my gd He seems a nice chap but it seems a bit soon. I hope it works out for all their sakes. Our trip to Scotland was years ago but 'the memories linger on' have to have something to hold onto. Hope the glass wrapping did not tire you too much! You made me laugh- these young things with their bike riding and running as you say walking is enough.
Honeymonster hope your recovery is going well.
Our thought s have to be with ScottyDog today. I hope your surgery goes well and that you are soon home and recovering. it is a long op I know having been through it but I must say the recovery was quicker than I thought it would be and i am sure yours will be so you are that much younger and fitter.
Jlr I am still unhappy with my recon to some extent. When I see the plastics people I come away reassured but then soon slip into thinking this doesn't feel right. but they say to give it 12 -18 months and isnce it hasa only been 6 I perhaps should be more patient.
Nipinuk have a great holiday
re bone scans i had one prior to any treatment. My RADs have been delayed for some reason should have started today but said planning had not gone ahead and they would ring did they -no! Have to chase them up.
well people it has been a trying few weeks. I seemed to have more SE's this last cycle tiredness, feeling nauseous and sore mouth but still fairly minimal in the scheme of things but dealing with OH has been difficult. He is only just getting back to eating soft food, has lost weight, and as a consequence of not enough to eat (he would only take max of two ensure drinks a day even through his stomach feeding tube-and that is only 600 calories)and staying in bed apart from showers for 4 weeks has now developed pressure sores. I won't say he has been a pain in the a--e as that would be true if a bit unkind. I hate to be stereotypical but what is it with men that if you are up on your feet you must be ok and the whole emotional side of this wonderful journey we are on is of no consequence. He seems to have the idea that I begrudge doing things for him. So deep breaths- I am waiting fo an opportune time to have a long chat with him I am still a bit too angry at the moment.
On a brighter note took my GD swimming last week and then to the theatre on Sunday to see 'Going on a Bear Hunt' it was perfect lots of water splashing and mud smearing really well done.
thanks for listening! good luck all
Guest user
Not applicable

Hello everyone
Haven't posted for a while - I'm not sure where the time has gone. Having gone back to work 3 mornings a week, having daily radiotherapy and lots of naps! - time as flown by. So far so good with the radiotherapy. I've had 7 so far with 8 left. My skin hasn't gone pink yet but it does feel hot. The only side effect I seem to suffer from is tiredness.
Being back at work is good, but I did feel strange fora while as it had been 4 months thatI had been away.
There are lots of things I need to tackle around the house but I haven't got the energy yet.
My sister has booked me a flight to Nice to go and see my parents when I've finished radiotherapy which I'm looking forward to.
All the very best to you Karen for your op tomorrow.
Love to all
Jess x
AngelaG

suzy - have to bubble wrap glass ware today...that's exercise enough today!!!
suzy52

Morning Ladies
Just about to embark on painting the final coat on the kitchen walls, while OH has dashed down to Toulouse to get more bits from ikea.
Angela you sound full of beans even if the thought of running etc is just too much! I find just working on the house pretty exhausting 🙂
Karen wishing you all the very best for your op on Wednesday, I will be thinking of you xoxoxx
Hope everyone is adapting to the new norm and feeling better each day.
Better not delay the painting any longer!
Daffodil66

Yes, good luck Karen, will be thinking of you & it will be a huge relief once over with xx
Anc all done & well dosed up so no pain or discomfort at the moment. Hopefully going home tomorrow but am enjoying being in full control of tv remote for a change & not having to share my chocolate buttons!
I made the mistake of asking what if their are more lymph nodes effected than thought, I didn't like the answer as it was more chemo as I'm not having surgery to breast at the moment. I wished I hadn't asked but anyway not going to worry about what ifs. Will find out on monday. Huge relief to get surgery out of the way though & exercises start tomorrow apparently :P.
Take care ladies xxx
Mungos_mum

Wishing you all the best Karen. xx

I hope everyone starting RADS today had an easy session with no surprises. (Roadshow and Carol, any more?) I trust the aloe gel works wonders. xx

I'm exhausted today - spent the day in the car ferrying boys around, meeting a friend for lunch, dashing back for Mungo then going to get the boys. Tome for sleep (once the football kit is finished in the washing machine, we need it again tomorrow!!)
Love to all, xx
AngelaG

how did that happen, my reply to karen coming up before her post that i was responding to !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi ladies
That's

me heading into hospital tomorrow morning for my op on Wednesday. Wish me luck! I'll be in surgery for approx 9hrs yikes! I'll be in hospital for a week. I'll keep you all posted

Best wishes

Karen xxx

AngelaG

all the best karen xxx
love angela
AngelaG

Oh, I haven’t posted since last Saturday, and look at all the post.
I’ve now had CT scan and bone scan, also some physio for my legs which erupted yesterday again, so very timely. Now have exercises to do and go back next Monday for more advice.
Rads start on Thursday.
Can anyone who’s experienced nail lift off tell me the signs...i think one of my toe nails is, but not sure. At first I thought it was some walking shoes I’d worn that had somehow bruised the toe as nail went discoloured now it’s kind of yellow and black and feels ‘odd’.
Dianne – I’m using hospital transport for rads too...door to door in a car...great! My onco told me I qualified for it, but when I phoned to arrange it, was told I didn’t. I got back on to onco’s secretary, and she told me not to worry she’d speak to ‘them’. When I next called the service, it went straight through no worries. It saves on walking at each end to the public transport, which is a great relief as legs aren’t great yet. Phew! Congratulations on completing the race for life, you did really well. I couldn’t give it consideration I’m afraid.
Mungo’s mum – thanks for empathising with my S situation. It’s been very tough for him trying to make ends meet (and often failing). They live in hope. His wife has just qualified as a social worker from Winchester Uni. She got a 2.1 (the equivalent of a B) and now has BSc (hons) after her name...surely someone will employ her....
Suzy – love the tissues and nostrils image! Yes, I had my pills (letrazole) start 3 weeks and 3 days after my last chemo, have you got yours yet? Bone density scan, yes I had just lower spine and pelvis, seems to be the norm. My follow up appointment is in January if that helps.
Karen – your break away sounded wonderful. You paint a lovely picture of the scenery. I’ve never been to those places. I hope you are now recovering from the op. Did it go well? I’m so sorry you are going through the mill. And I really hope things go much better and quicker in recovery than you expect. Big cyber hugs for you x
Honeymonster – another step nearer full recovery, well done.
Janey – glad things are better for you and hope the rads is going well for you.
Jude – I understand that bone density scans take place just before or shortly after starting to take hormone pills and then again at something like the half way point. I’m on letrazole, and that’s what I’ve been told.
Cocbutterfly – RUN? BIKING? You are to be commended, walking is trial enough at the moment! Well done you for persevering though. You really are a trooper.
Nipinuk – have a great time in Germany and don’t give any of this (or us) a thought! Relax & enjoy. Yes, we do the same, coffe with friends at home...a new concept! S has taken the family camping in the past, but apparently when signing on and job seekers stuff, if you then go away on a holiday anywhere, they consider that you are making yourself unavailable to work, and so when you come back you have to sign on as if for the first time, and lose in the region of 8 weeks benefits...they’d literally starve and become homeless if that happened! This country’s system is very lop sided.
Nora – you must be on the summit now...welcome along! Hope you are celebrating.
Daffodil – hope your Anc went well and that you are recovering now...another step nearer.
take care all
love angela xx
suzy52

Hello
Karen I sent you a message, hope it was usefull.
Nipinuk - I would just buy your lentils in Waitrose 🙂 having said that you do get organic produce readily in France, known as 'Bio', ask for lentilles du Puy. Sounds like quite a trip for you, Germany and Scotland! It is a long drive down to us, it takes 10 hrs from the Ferry at Calais. We usually stop half way down and spend the night as its too much in a day. Have a great time and maybe you can visit the Correze next year! My nails are doing fine thanks, no lifting which I put down to ice gloves and socks, as others on TAX who have lost nails didn't wear them. OH is having a day off today as he enjoyed himself too much last night, too much vino collapso! so no movement in the kitchen today but its looking good - your bathroom sounds like its coming along well too - life with all mod cons, we won't know ourselves!
take it easy everyone! oxox
Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks for your good wishes everyone it helps to know others are rooting for me. I'm keeping myself busy, had some retail therapy yesterday looking for nighties with buttons & Briget Jones-style pants! Never expected to be having a boob job and tummy tuck at 39, I'm only a size 8 with 32DD boobs! I'm trying to tell myself I've been chosen for one of those TV makeover shows! Maybe I could get some botox and teeth veneers at the same time and look 10 years younger. Besti wishes to others recovering and those facing rads. Enjoy the sunshine
Karen xxx
shells64

Hi ladies
Hope u are all well got my results on wednesday they are good stage 1 to 2 was the lump remove 10 nodes one had cancer that one was close to breast so having rads in my neck and breast so good news sorry to hear your news karen xx also nipinuk have a lovely hoilday. im still waiting to hear about rads im going on tamoxifen sfter reds too hope u all have a lovely weekend take care speak soon xx
Mungos_mum

Hi Ladies,
I made the mistake of reading the side effects of Tamoxifen yesterday in preparation of starting today. I know most of them are rare, and people rarely get all of them, but even one is quite I did take my first this morning, and to be honest, I have found this harder than going for chemo. I think chemo had a definite end date, but this seems to stretch so far into the future, I may as well be on it for life.
Karen – I am so pleased you had a lovely time away, but so sorry you had such a dreadful day yesterday. I’m so sorry your treatment plan has changed and will be thinking of you next week. I can’t offer any advice as I haven’t had a recon. Virtual hugs on the way. Xx
Cocobutterfly – Glad Rads are not holding you back from getting fitter! I guess you have one more week, then hopefully free of hospital visits throughout August.
Nipinuk – Parents can be a great help! My mum always attacks my ironing pile, but seems to focus on the boys’ clothes. She often leaves OH’s shirts for me!! (I don’t blame her, she does enough in her own house!!) YS had a great time in France, arriving back at 1.30 on Sunday morning. They’ve now broken up; car is serviced in readiness, I wonder how many miles I will travel in the next 5 weeks before we go away! (already over 100 since Wednesday 12.00!!)
Daffodil – I hope you have a wonderful weekend before your op on Monday. Will be thinking of you. Xx
Jude – I haven’t had any scans and am not likely to get one unless I go complaining of suspected secondaries. I have a surgical follow in a couple of weeks, but not sure what this will entail. Probably more prodding!
Wishing everyone well, xx
Daffodil66

Hi Ladies,
Karen - So sorry that your surgery didn't go as planned for you, I hope you are doing ok & if it's any consolation a friend had the diep recon a year ago, her boob looks great & tummy amazing (scars are very neat too). xx
Honeymonster - I hope you are recovering ok after your surgery last week & taking it easy as possible with a little one off school 😉 xx
I'm having my Anc on monday & results day on thursday (I was worried about surgery, now I'm more concerned about results day! ) I'm not starting tamoxifen until after rads either, onc said I will probably be on it for just over 3 years due to being 50 & menopausal by then but as she said things are always changing.
I hope you are all coping ok with rads & travelling.
Nipinuk - I hope you have a lovely holiday, France & Scotland! How long are you away for?
Anyway must take dogs out before it gets too hot for me xxx
Nipinuk

Chemo done (4 rounds due to low bloods. 23/5) Radio done (15 sessions IMPACT HIGH trial. 8/7) Tamoxifen Day 9 or 10?!
Hello lovely ladies,
Started writing early this morning but kept getting distracted with music lessons, library, food shop, etc!
Hope you're all enduring! We've got a busy weekend ahead. Dinner with friends tomorrow, pack n clean house on Sat, friends coming over for the day on Sun, another lot of friends coming over on Monday to night till Tues then hopefully road trip to Germany (near Luneburg). This is sooo last minute as hubby just managed to contact German pen friend. We saw him and his parents 13 years ago when I was pregnant with Es. I remember his mum saying not to wait another 10 years before seeing them! Hubby thinks we can do both Germany and Scotland - we'll see!

Karen - I'm so so sorry to hear things didn't go as expected. It takes a lot to psyche oneself up for the WLE and to find out that this won't be the case and it's back to mx and op postponed - argh! I really feel for you my dear. I don't know anything about recon but I'm sure someone can help. Will you be able to get away somewhere nice in your motorhome? Might help take your mind off things and enjoy the wonderful scenery. Do keep us updated.

Daffodil - I remember I do have bouts of feeling really bloated. My nose still waters occasionally. Now that I've finished rads and on tamoxifen for about 9/10 days, i my oral thrush from chemo days is back and worse still, I've got more facial hair! Hubby actually noticed it!

Janey - when are you expecting the results of your ct scan? I can imagine your concern. We're all hoping and praying that everything will be alright. Bug hugs xx

Suzy - I did a quick check to see how far it is to Dordogne and it's nearly 13 hours drive from north Germany 😞 How is the kitchen coming along? Hubby removed upstairs bathroom tiles and boiler wall Yesterday and today. Got rid of toilet n cistern via freecycle which is brilliant! How do you say puy lentils in French? I read that puy lentils come from France so thought of getting some when we drive through. Are your finger and toe nails alright?

Shelley - you mentioned about having to go back for results. It's two weeks now. Have you got it? hope everything is alright. Are wedding plans all on track?

Daffodil - we survived in laws staying for a week! Fil helped strim our jungle and took down rotten fences which was great! Mil did some ironing. So funny, on the last day she did a bit more ironing and after they left, I noticed she'd only ironed hubby's clothes! He's still mummy's boy 🙂

Woolfie - how are you feeling now? Hope your energy levels are increasing. I know what you mean. I've met two people during chemo who were given months. One dad had his grown up son with him and was asking how many months the doctor gave him - felt awful and thankful at the same time.
I'm so happy to hear you're enjoying your singing in the rock choir. It's so nice to do something just for you especially with hubby not being well either.
i haven't gain weight on tamoxifen yet. Still early days but I think you shouldn't worry too much if you're eating healthily.

Angela - I also think your GD looks a lot like you! Strong genes 😉 I guess the silicon bracelet is a good thing though I'm not wearing one. I didn't have ANC, just a couple removed.
You go son a trampoline? you go girl! That's fantastic! That reminds me, hubby went on trampoline yesterday with ys and it was like watching little and large - hilarious! Ys would go boing, boing, boing sit cross legged and bounce to a standing position. Hubby tries...can't do cross legged thing and lands on his back like an upside down turtle!! He did it more than once too!
I'm so sorry to hear you lost the London flat. A better one will be there for you later 😉 time really flies! It'll be 3 sept before you know it!
about your son, I can completely understand what that's like. We get sleepless nights worrying abut finance. Everything's so expensive and it is quite difficult seeing other people go on holidays and buying what they want. We try very hard not to spend more than we earn but haven't quite managed that this year. I'm meeting up with some mums for lunch tomorrow and plan to eat at home and just have a drink. As for holidays, we stay with friends 😉 camping is great too!

Tanya - how are you? Hope you're recovering well. did you manage to have a peek at the scar? have you got your parents helping you?

Christine - fantastic that your energy levels are increasing and you're able to get around and do more normal things. Do you miss yr little boy? Must be lovely - no winding up or arguments! I asked my Es about school trips overseas and he's not interested!

Nora - all the best for your final chemo tomorrow. Woo hoo! We look forward to welcoming you at the summit! I wish you a speedy recovery and do keep up updated.

night all. will respond to other posts later x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Marchies!
Hope all are well! Im nearly 2/3rds of the way through my rads now, woo not long till I'm finished. Also started tamoxifen the day i started rads, no SE's as yet to report. Although, I'm still finding it a struggle to run very far and sometimes my knee joints aching at the start of a run which must be a SE of something because I've never had any problems before. Trying to keep as active as possible - bike riding, walking, etc to regain my fitness/return to normal weight. I can't wait to fit into my normal clothes again, its just another step closer to 'normality'!
Karen - so sorry to hear about the day you've had, it must be so difficult to get your head around all this treatment that you weren't expecting. I had a mastectomy, but the consultant was reluctant for immediate recon as they didn't want to delay chemo and rads afterwards. I'm now on the waiting list for recon but will probably be next year now. I think I will opt for lat dorsi flap and implant and risk reducing mastectomy on the other side. Is your surgery Wednesday? I went to a breast cancer care presentation on reconstruction, it was so informative and the results from all ops look amazing! Did they say how long they expected recovery time to be? Sending hugs your way x x
Jude - I had a bone scan before starting chemotherapy and haven't had one since despite starting tamoxifen, think it must be routine to do it that way.
Dianne - I also thought I could feel something when I was having my rads! I think it might be all psychological but I was sure I could feel something, not quite sure what. I start shallow breathing a lot as soon as I see the 'radiation on' sign. I hate the thought of the rays crossing a part of my lung!
Honeymonster - glad to hear you are recovering and have your drains out. Its such a relief to get rid of your 'handbag' and get a bit more comfortable. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Best wishes everyone xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi ladies
What a day from hell I've had! I had an ultrasound 1 hr before my op, which proved problematic. At first we thought thetumour had doubled in size within the space of 3 weeks, however, it turns out that it has split into 2 and one bit has travelled to thd other side of my boob. Long story short, I'll need a Mx and recon. It was a long day. I've opted for the Diep flap recon, have any of you ladies had this procedure? I'm devastated as it will be a longer recovery time and I was beginning to see light at the end of this horrid tunnel. Thankfully they can fit me in next Wed. Fingers crossed all goes smoothly.
Bestwishes
Karen xxx
suzy52

Just a quickie - I think bone density scans are given to post/meno patients as a matter of course before prescribing hormone inhibitors.
Thinking of you Karen xx
Well Jude they seem to have a more relaxed attitude about starting hormone inhibitors here in France! Don't know if thats good or bad. Its interesting how the systems differ.
Have a good evening everyone oxox
Jlr

Hi jude

I started tamoxifen about a week ago (same time as rads) but they didn't mention a bone scan! I did have a bone scan after initial diagnosis but that was due to the amount of lymph node involvement.

I have had no side effects at all from the tamoxifen so thank goodness for that.

Xx
Cassowary

Hope the Rads are going well for those who started this week. It sounds as if I will be the last of the Marchies to start - 5th August.
honeyMonster - great to lose the dreaded drains. Hope that you are picking up now.
suzy52- the oncologists here do see. Keen to get started with hormone therapies three weeks post chemo. I queried the need for speed as I am also starting Herceptin and having rads, and was told it is only a tablet! Nothing to worry about, no side effects! Seriously though my u derstanding is that the benefits are such that the medics want women to benefit as soon as possible.
interestingly though I have not been asked to have a bone scan - I will follow up with BCN as I thought that they did one to assess bone density at the outset. Have others just starting hormone therapy had bone scans?
Jude
Nipinuk

Quick one to wish Karen all the best for today. Hope surgery goes well! Big hugs and get well soon vibes!!
will catch up with all the posts soon xx
Mrs_B

Hi ladies RADs no.1 done!!

Thanks everyone for the 'well dones'. to be honest I am whacked and think its probably set me back a week, but never mind, its all for a good cause. I feel very empowered mentally if not physically at the moment.

JLR - I did the one at Harrogate. It was lovely all on the flat thank goodness. Hope your first RADs was okay for you.

Honeymonster, shells64 and Suzy. first RADs okay. did feel a little overwhelmed but kept it in and controlled. I dont know peoples experiences, but I swear that I could feel a tingling on my chest during the treatment. It definately only lasted when the machine was on. My chest area does feel warm now and a bit tight. Am surpised as thought this would only happen as the treatments went on. Been given a smallish tube of Aqueas (spelling) but also have some aloe vera which I think I will use as well.

Mungosmum - I have now lost 4 finger nails. Know it sounds horrible, but once the nail has gone white and lifted away from the nail bed, they are quite easy to take off. I also have new nails that have been growing underneath the old ones.

Going to stop now, as a thinder storm has just started and worried incase in affects my connection to the net.

Take care all you RADs out there
XX Dianne XX
shells64

Sorry well done MRS B and good luck on rads thinking of u xx
shells64

Hi ladies
Sorry not been on my legs are still hurting u are right MUGOS MUM taxs has a lot to anwser too my finger tops hurt too i just wish this chemo out of my body lol
Thats great new janey im so pls good luck on rads thinking of u xx
Honeymonter good news gald op went well thinking of u xx
Scottydog1974 good luck on op on wednesday pls u had a nice trip too xx
Well ladies hope u all well take care have hospital tomorroe for results of op will let u known how that goes enjoy the weather take care speak soon love to all xxx
suzy52

Dianne, well done! That's amazing 5k, you put me to shame but my OH says I've got to learn to pace myself, find I have short burst of energy then flop! Hope RADs went well for you.
Christine, sorry to hear your finger nails are being difficult, mine have 3 defined stripes across them, one for each TAX treatment! Hope the rain cooled you down, we are still sweltering here so the river beckons.
Karen, so happy to hear you had such a lovely souding holiday - good and relaxed now for your up coming surgery, wishing you all the best for a fast recovery.
Honeymonster, well done that girl, home and drain free! Take it easy, whishing you a speedy recovery. My scan went fine thank you, when we found the radiographer! I pitched up at the local cottage hospital (not been there before) with 5 mins to spare, only to be told that Raiography was in the town at a small clinic. We sped off hopefully in the right direction and had to go to the police station for further directions, but we made it and no one seemed overly bothered - gotta love the French!
Those of you who have had bone denity scans, did you have your pelvis and spine done? The smiling Rads lady said I had beautiful bones, haha that's a first!
Janey, good news about your boob discomfort - thinking of you and fingers crossed waiting for your CT results.
Has anyone been told what follow up consultations/scans are likely after we have endured all this malarkey ?
have a good afternoon, Bensons looking longingly at the screen door so I better take him for his swim - mine too, the river water is seriously bracing! oxoxox
Jlr

Hello ladies,

Mrs-B well done on the race for life, was it the Warrington one because I was also there with my best friend as she was running it on my beHalf, I admire you for taking it on!

Saw the consultant yesterday and he said boob is normal and it's just trauma after the operation which is fabulous news, I just thought that as my op was 6 months ago I wouldn't be having these sort of symptoms now! Just need to wait for ct scan results now.

I start radiotherapy today so let's see how that goes! I started tamoxifen about 6 days ago and currently no real side effects to report, little bit of stiffness in muscles but that could be all the sitting I have done! I can't believe I am on the home stretch now!

Take care all janey xx
Honeymonster

Thanks for all your good wishes, the op went well and I came out of hospital the day after and had my drain removed yesterday. Sore and tired still but recovering well.
Karen, good luck tomorrow with op. Susy hope the scan goes ok and best wishes to Mrs B starting rads today, hope all goes well. Hope everyone is well and happy xxx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi ladies
Just

back from my break to the Outer Hebrides, we had a lovely relaxing time, I haven't seen a TV for over a week! Strangely I didn't miss it. I saw the most stunning beaches and turquoise water, even nicer than the Caribbean. We toured around several islands, the views were so spectacular that we kept stopping to take another photograph. The wildlife, fauna and natural beauty was so uplifting. We went to a 3 day folk festival, where Van Morrison was the key act. It took me back to my childhood as my uncle used to play his music when we went to my nanny's caravan by the sea. I met lots of lovely people, they observe the sabbath, everywhere was closed and the churches were full, it was like a step back in time. I've read all your posts and I'm glad you're all doing well, it was a great feeling passing the three week milestone with no more chemo

Honeymonster I hope your op went well and you're making a good recovery and not overdoing things. Get well soon. I go into hospital on Wed morning, I can't wait to have my op. Hopefully you feel a lot more at ease now?

Dianne well done completing the Race for Life, I'm sure there were tears all round.

I'm off to watch Rick Stein India catch up with you all tomorrow

Karen xxx

Mungos_mum

Well done Dianne! I couldn't contemplate doing anything requiring so much energy, regardless of the heat! I hope your RADS go smoothly. I have been staring at my tamoxifen for the last week. I should have started last friday, but I have a GP appiontment this week to sort out repeat prescriptions and have some questions for her, and wanted another week of feeling better. This has backfired a bit as I have felt exhausted again for the last couple of days, though that might be due to having to stay up to collect YS returning from France at 1.30 in the morning! I have been given Wockhart Tamoxifen and will let you know how I get on with it. My nails are appalling now too - some are lifting from the nail bed, and a couple still hurt occasionally. TAX has a lot to answer for!!
Daffodil - All this treatment and lack of exercise has played havoc with our metabolisms, and I should imagine that we will find it hard to loose weight until we start to exercise again. Difficult when you are still going through treatment and have an operation to recover from. Though in truth, I think the amount of icecream I am eating at the moment is the main culprit!
Angela - you must be so disappointed to loose the flat. I am sorry. Just imagine the nicer one which is just about to come on the market. I'm sorry your S is still looking for work. It is very frustrating; both my OH and I have spent long periods not working. I hope the news I read this week is true, and the economic growth is speeding up.
Suzy - I hope the river was cool! Sounds ideallic. I'm just gong to stand in the rain we are expecting tomorrow!
Hope everyone is well. xx
Daffodil66

Hi Ladies, I hope you are all coping with the heat. I'm 4 weeks post chemo now & despite eating healthily seem to be gaining weight still which is annoying as not even hungry in this heat. I'm just going to have to learn to be really patient I suppose :P.
Suzy - The tissues made me laugh, know what you mean so annoying but sounds like the tail end of the se's now. My onc said I won't start tamoxifen until after surgery & rads, sounds good to me!
Honeymonster - I hope you are recovering ok after your surgery.
Karen- I hope you enjoyed a nice break away before your surgery & all goes well (Is it on weds?)
Goodluck for those of you having or starting rads soon xxx
Mrs_B

Hi ladies

Just a quick note to say I completed the 5K Race for Life yesterday. Absolutely whacked out today but so proud of myself, and my mates who came along to encourage me along. Had a laugh on the way round. We were near the back and our aim was to beat the 7 month pregnant lady, which we just about managed! Did it in 1hr and 15mins, so not a bad time all considering.

Got my Tamoxifen to start taking tomorroe and also Radiotherapy tomorrow...roll on the next 3 weeks. Gonna be a blast NOT 😞

Take care everyone

XX Dianne XX
suzy52

Hello all
Dianne you made me smile with your 'chemo, the gift that keeps on giving' as I try to paint through streaming eyes with tissue shoved up my nostrils - not a good look!
Hope everyone's energy and enthusiasim is returning post chemo and your all enjoying this balmy weather.
I'm off down to the river with Benson to cool off
Have my bone density scan tomorrow at 9am, so that will be another step forward. The onco'c here aren't so quick off the mark after chemo to begin hormone inhibitors, it will be six weeks post my last treatment bfore I begin. You all seem to be getting your pills arounf 3 weeks after the last infusion right?
Hope all who have had or are waiting surgery are doing well.
TTFN xoxox
Mrs_B

Well ladies its been an amazing three weeks. Can’t believe chemo is behind me as it is for so many of you too. I started a thread asking for responses to taking TAM. I have had some reservation and concerns about taking it and worried about the SE’s. I’ve now managed to get my head around it all, so I have picked up my first prescription and will start taking it next week. I will hope for the best.

My onc consultant has recommended evening primrose capsules for menopausal SE's, so have started taking them. I must admit feel a little sad when I use the word 'menopause'. I know its medically induced and temporary but feel too young to have to apply this word to myself. Feels like another part of my femininity is being taken away - along with my hair, eye lashes, eye brows and now finger nails. I have three that are about to fall off on my hands and others that look like they might start to go the same way. Chemo the gift that keeps on giving – I understand its the TAX to blame for the finger nails.

Am so thankful that the weather is a lot cooler this weekend. When I started my chemo in March, I naively signed myself and my daughter up to do the Race for Life in Harrogate this Sunday. Well I’m still going but told all my sponsors that there is no guarantee that I will finish it. I will walk as far as I can. I have a handful of amazing friends who have also signed up to walk with me and support me. I think it will be an emotional and empowering day. I have raised approx £500 so far. A lovely elderly lady even gave me a £1 when I was chatting to her at the pharmacy. It was really sweet of her.

Radiotherapy starts on Tuesday and I am using the volunteer services to get there and back. Not looking forward to it, and wish I could just be at home with my kids now they have broken up for the summer. However three weeks and I finally get my body back and can start to recover ready to get my life back on track.

Enjoy the summer weather and slap on the factor 50+ ladies its gonna be a scorcher of a week

XX Dianne XX
AngelaG

i forgot to say...the flat was taken off the market, so we won't have a london, uk base til another comes alond. rather disappointed, but there will be others i'm sure, and maybe even nicer than that one.
A x
AngelaG

Good morning everyone! I hope you are not suffering in any shape or form, and that you are beginning to be able to enjoy the beautiful weather.
I think at last my legs may be on the mend...just in time for CT scan on Monday. Rads due to start on August 1st. Bone scan on 26th July. Flight to Spain booked now for 3rd September...now it’s a bit scary. Thought offspring were getting sorted, and then last Monday D’s man friend ‘dumped’ (hate that expression) her saying he was too old to be dealing with a 2 ½ year old and the (odd) tantrum. That’s despite 3 days before talking about long term plans with her! So she has at the moment given up any desire to be in a relationship of any kind. That means she relies on us for company as her friends are married with children and don’t always want to be seeing their other friends. Oh dear. Life is never simple or boring is it? My S is also going through a down period, still having found no work that would pay enough to support a family of 5, and seeing his friends going off for holidays etc. We never stop being parents and trying to help our children, but it’s not a bottomless pit of funds!
Janey – sorry you are experiencing such trauma with everything. As you say they’ll get to the bottom of it, and it will be sorted out x
Suzy – yes, energy is definitely returning. I’m feeling on the up too. Walking is no longer daunting, and the thought of packing up not so bothersome. A&E are not always helpful when needles/BP are concerned, I had similar experience. Felting...yes I made some needle felted beads for a necklace in a workshop a couple of years ago, and would love to try wet felting too. Time, where, where to buy the goods are all issues though. I’d hate to spend out and make a mess of it. Would love to attend another workshop or two...but in Spain don’t know if there would be any.
Woolfie – your Scottish break sounded wonderful, just what the Dr ordered I would think. I hope the good effects are still lingering. I do so hope everything goes well for you both, and that you both kick all this stuff into touch. Looking around the chemo ward, we certainly saw some very brave people going through much worse stuff than me, it brings it all into perspective doesn’t it.
Honeymonster – hope you are recovering from the op well, and that it has done what was needed. I wish you a very speedy recovery x
Mungo’smum – it’s good that your OH is working, as it gives you the opportunity to do things that maybe you wouldn’t do together? I think peace lilies are indoor plants, but with this weather would be fine outside at the moment, but not in full sun. I have never heard of a Greek papyrus plant though. It’s all very therapeutic what you are doing though. Keep it up! I think your garden must be really taking shape now. I hope your S enjoyed his trip to France...did you miss him?
Nora – nearly at the summit. It’ll be good to have you join us...and not long ‘til the SE’s subside, and you’ll be feeling more normal. You seem to have had treatment in same order as me, though I only had FECx6 and no TAX.
Well, it’s cooler today so maybe I can achieve some packing and/or exercise...or both!
Have a good weekend all.
Angela xx
NoraBatty

Hello everyone, sorry haven't posted for a while but have been reading everyone's posts and really pleased to hear that so many have now completed chemo. I have found TAX much rougher than FEC and had another (luckily brief) hospital stay after TAX no 2 even though they reduced the dose by 25%. Am due to have final chemo on 26 July (Hooray!) and then rads and letrozole.

Good luck to those of you having or who have recently had surgery.

Hope you are all OK

Nora x
Mungos_mum

FEC-T Cycle 6 day 21

Woolfie - a bit belated, but well done on getting to the summit! I hope your SEs are minimal this cycle and you regain your strength quickly. I'll have a look at you tube for the rock choir performance. We did a lot of singing at school although it was mainly choral. I have been known, after all this time, to randomly launch into the Te Deum!

Suzy - Great your energy is returning! the sun is sapping mine! I have been spending a fair amount of time sitting in the shade in my garden watching my plants grow. My simple pleasure.

Angela - Your days out are always entertaining! Now OH is back at work, I am suddenly without my partner in crime! Still is leaves me free to go out and buy plants for my garden! I picked up a peace lilly and Greek Papyrus this morning at the market. I am not sure how hardy some of these recent purchaces are, but they look good at the moment!

Daffodil - Great results from the Onc. I was given similar statistics too, provided I keep taking Tamoxifen, or something similar. I am delaying starting for a week just to recover a bit more from chemo. I've still got some minor tingling in my fingers, which I hope will go soon as it can remain as permanent damage. My eyes are still watering, but I think that is more to do with the sun block melting and running into my eyes! it stings!!!!

Janey - I hope you get a resolution at your next appointment. Fingers crossed there will be a simple solution. More virtual hungs coming your way. xx

Honeymonster - Hugs to you too, hope you have a speedy recovery.xx

I finally felt more myself over the last two days, and have managed to last longer than 8.30pm for the first time in weeks. I have also started to drive again, so suddenly my world has expanded! (though more usually to ferry the boys about!) We waved YS off today on a school trip to France until Saturday night. Feeling rather jealous, but we only have a month so wait for our holiday in Murcia, Spain.

Hope everyone is feeling better and better, and those having Rads have no problems. xx
suzy52

Honeymonster, your probably under genral anesthetic by now but I'm sending good healing vibes to you, all the very best for a speedy recovery.
Woolfie, great to have you up here at the summit! Hope you and your OH are doing well, such a tough call you both battling the enemy. I went out with a girlfriend to the big local market this morning, apart from the big sun hat to hide and protect 'baldylocks' I felt quite normal for the first time in what seems like forever. OH say's I'm starting to develop a six o'clock shadow, unfortunately only at the back of my head so looks like I'm going to have to rock the Les Miserables look before I get a full head of hair! Your farmsted in Scotland sounds idyllic - what service! All this talk of holiday's makes me earn for one - a total change of scene is so restorative and we could do with a break from the building work!
Love to all xoxoxo
Honeymonster

Thanks Woolfie, I should be in just a couple of days hopefully x
Woolfie

Honeymonster don't know if you are still online but hope all goes well for you today. I had surgery before chemo and was soon feeling ok until the chemo started. How long will you be in hospital. With a reconstruction which was a long op I was out in 6 days and glad to be so home is a much better place to get better. Hope you have someone there with you to help and support. Good luck you will endure and scale this next summit!
Honeymonster

Hello Marchies,
I've woken early on day of my op (mx and anc). I'm going in at 10.30 - feel very odd, bit like I'm going on holiday (packing bags etc)
I'm now 4 weeks post chemo and starting to regain energy, shame I have to have the op now really, but it will be good to move forward.
Hope you are all ok. Thinking of you Jlr and hope you don't have to wait long for results.
Woolfie

Well I am there at last! Had my last chemo yesterday and PICC line removed. It was all a bit emotional. things were not going well for others in the treatment roon yesterday and I felt fortunate to have escaped without any major traumas. I had also been chatting to someone I had met a couple of times before and learnt yesteray that her treatment is palliative and she only has 12-18 months. she had been battling with cancer over quite a period of time ( not in her breast) It made me very sad. Radiotherapy planning today.
Cocobutterfly- hope your radiotherapy goes well. I have questions about tamoxifen. I hear it is difficult to lose weight whilst taking it because of metabolism. Not good news for me as I was vastly overweight before I started this jaunt.
Shelley -hope you are recovering from your surgery.
Angela-Good news about the house. What a lovely way to spend time with your GD. Loved the end result tho as we teachers know it is process not product that counts!
Daffodil-It looks as if things are clearer for you as to what happens next. Hope it all goes to plan and the ANC finds you in the clear.
Nipinuk- thanks for the thoughts about OH. It has been a bit grim the past week He needed a bit of reminding that I am going through my own stuff and in an ideal world should be concentrating on myself even thought I also empathise with him and what he is going through but I think we turned a corner yesterday and he was back to having some solid if mushy food as well as the Enusre drinks. Still a way to go though. The outside has cleared up a lot but inside is still sore.He is Scottish and I had never visited Scotland until I met him. We have been to the Highlands twice and stayed on a converted farmstead in Crubenbeg near to Newtonmore which was suitable for his needs run by two women, a former Swiss resterauteur ( have had a few attempts at spelling that and still got it wrong i think) and a fomer nurse, they looked after us really well and they would bring your meals to your cottage if you so wished.It was heartwarming to see vast expanses of unspoilt coutryside-so beautiful.We also went to Rothiemurchus estate to do some clay pigeon shooting. I was rubbish and gave most of my shots to OH who despite being in his wheelchair was pretty good.We went to the Highland games which I think have to be a must and are pretty much everywhere in the summer months, the Highland Wildlife Park (reindeer and wolves amongst other species that would have been indigenous (maybe I shouldn't use words if I can't spell them) to Scotland at one time. The people are lovely on the whole. We have been to Glasgow and Edinburgh on separate occasions my OH was miffed because I preferred Edinburgh and he is a Weegie!
Jlr - Sorry to hear things are not going too smoothly. I hope you appointment with ONC is helpful and they can sort things out for you. I am still not happy with my recon and worried that radiotherapy will give me further hardened bits.
Wanted to paste video of the Beach Boys singing California girls from the concert in Hyde Park but it won't let me lots of video on youtube from Rockchoir's recent outing to the 02 arena. Over 10.000 of us singing good fun.
good luck to everyone and its good to share the view from the top!
suzy52

Evening all, Day 11 after final FEC-T

At last !, I'm starting to feel more normal - energy levels rising, nausea gone sleeping well 😄

Janey So sorry to hear you have more investigtions ahead and your boob is giving you grief - I do hope your Onc gets quickly to the bottom of it as you say say. Sending you virtual hugs. xx

Karen my Dad was from Pitlochry! It's a lovely place for sure - I've not been there for 30 odd years though - time to take a trip back me thinks. Hope you have a great break away.

Jess Hope the feeling is back in your feet - that's one I didn't get! Good luck for your return to work tomorrow, I'm back to painting and diy, not the same I know, as I can call time when I want, so I admire your stamina. We are lucky to live in such a beautiful place, I'm afraid Tremolat dosen't ring any bells, but glad to hear you have happy memories from your visits here.

Nipinuk off to Bonny Scotland! Your boys should love the raindeer 🙂 Sounds like a lovely trip, have a great time!

Angela GD looks lovely just like you! Strong gene pool there 🙂 I haven't even come across the braclet you mentioned, but I think your right, it would be a constant reminder, although I'm paranoid about needles on my left side, actually had an argument in A&E when a nurse wanted to put a canular in my left arm - all the toys were out of the cot until a doc showed up and gave her a stern talking to. On another subject. and being as your the 'crafty' one have you ever done any neddle felting? I'm so taken by the little felted animals I've seen on Etsy, I think I'll give it ago 🙂
Stay cool chaps! Pims o'clock seems appropriate Cheers
Jlr

Hello ladies, sorry I have not been on for a while, I have read all your posts and caught up with everyone though!
I finished chemo about 3 weeks ago now and had my radiotherapy planning appointment a week ago. I am due to start radiotherapy next Tuesday but my oncologist wants me to have a CT scan on my lungs as there are a couple of suspect lung nodules that require further investigation. So i am having that this afternoon. I am also having problems with the boob that I had lumpectomy in as it's all red and dimpled and the nipple is all puckered. The GP thought it may be infected and gave me antibiotics but these have made no difference so phoned my BCN and it's back to see the consultant on Monday! Thing is my boob was starting to go like this before I had my op but consultant just said that it was aftermath of biopsies. Surely that would have cleared up by now it's been 5 months! So I don't know what is the cause. Just when I thought I was getting to end of treatment too.
Anyway am sure we will get to the bottom of it, enjoy the lovely weather ladies, take care, janey xx
AngelaG

morning everyone, another good one...the heat is a bit energy sapping though isn't it. i'm trying to be positive, but i want to do more and don't have energy due to heat. we brits are never satisfied!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
nipinuk, hope you're sniffles have come to nothing. GD and I had a great few hours making the notice board. ran out of ribbon, so she'll have to finish it next weekend herself. it looks good. she had a last minute change of colour scheme. originally she wanted red/black/white which i thought would look great and then she saw another fabric which is in the picture you might be able to see instead of my lovely face! we went into Romsey on Sat am, it was very loud and busy, and my legs were protesting so we just did what we went for and then had lunch in Reeves coffee shop then back to make the item. great fun we had. As for the PICC being gone, the song 'born free' came to mind with the obvious word changes! it's a great feeling, as it's one less reminder of what we've been through.
i sent for a medical alert silicone bracelet re lymph nodes no BP no needles this arm...wore it once, and thought...actually it would be a constant reminder, and do i really want that. so i took it off. has anyone else bought one?
daffodil - i would do more on the trampoline, but as you say...the heat...so it can wait for a cooler day...did get up to an amazing 4 minutes last time though!!!
hope everyone else is doing ok.
the end is in sight
love
angela xx
Daffodil66

Hi Ladies, I hope you are all ok & energy levels are increasing. Mind you this heat has totally wiped me out & seem to have very heavy feeling legs still, they don't feel like they belong to me!
Jess - My eyes watered constantly during tax & stopped after 3 weeks, so hopefully yours will any day now. I hope work & rads go well for you.
Nipinuk - Good to hear eye lashes will be growing back very soon. Just have thin top lashes hanging on in there but head hair is doing well too :). I hope your in laws don't expect too much from you. Mine came for a bbq last night, told me how well I looked & let me run around after them all evening!
Honeymonster - I think you are having surgery tomorrow, I hope all goes well & your energy has returned 😉
Angela - I finally got the brow zing, the lovely benefit girl showed me how to apply it & looks good but will take some practice I think...
I was hoping to get lots of exercise after chemo & shed these extra pounds but due to heat wave & uncooperative legs have started to diet instead. Strangely enough I have no appetite anyway & feel full all the time. Just looking forward to feeling normalish again as I'm sure everyone else is.
Take care everyone xxx
Nipinuk

Angela, I'm so sorry I didn't reply earlier. Have been busy n also a bit sniffly and coughing So we stayed in on Saturday. Was it busy in the morning? How as the notice board? Bet she loved it!
How does it feel being PICC free?
Suzy, I had to look up to see where Dordogne is! Thank you so much for your very kind offer. I'd love to go there n see you one day. The quality of life there must be great! We're hoping to drive up to Scotland in the school hols and not planned the trip yet!
So glad to hear you might have your kitchen soon - woo hoo! Amazing how you've cope for so long.
Karen - thanks very much for the sightseeing tips. Reindeers sound ace! I've copied it into my notes. Will pm you when I get going with organising route.
when is your surgery? Great to hear that your scan went well. A break would be fantastic. Hope you have a lovely time.
Jess, my last chemo was nearly two months ago and I'm still not working!! Need to very soon though as money's tight! Take it easy . How are you feeling? Your eyelashes will grow back in about a month and a bit. Mine has started growing back slowly. Eyebrows still sparse but hair on head is getting thicker!
How many sessions of rads have you got? Have you got your 99.9% aloe vera? I brought a small jar with me to hospital and slap it on straight after each treatment. i put it on twice a day and my skin is fine!
in laws landing tomorrow for a week. I tend to do a lot but hoping to take it easy this time xx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Marchies
I hope everyone is getting through their final side effects now. My remaining SE is numb feet so will have to see if these get better in time. I also still have very watery eyes - it's virtually impossible keeping any make up on. Oh, and my eye lashes have started to really thin out - right at the last knockings!

I had my oncology appointment last Friday and I will be starting Anastrazole at the end of this week (3 weeks after last chemo) and I've heard from radiotherapy and I will be starting the 3 weeks of radiotherapy on Monday. So, all systems go for the remaining treatment.

I will be starting work on Wednesday but it has been agreed with my Line Manager that I will only work three mornings a week until the end of my radiotherapy and then re-assess then when I can increase to full time.

Suzy - I hadn't realised you were in the Dordogne - a very beautiful part of France. I've had a couple of lovely holidays in the Dordogne, I think the village was called Tremolat.

Best wishes to all.
Jxxx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi ladies
Hope you're all enjoying the heat wave? My scan went fine no surprises thankfully. OH and I have decided to go away for a wee break before my surgery so may nothave internet access for a while. Nipinuk you'd be spoilt for choice of nice places to visit here. I recommend the Pitlochry area and Aviemore, lovely campsite on the Rothiemurchus estate check it out, lovely shower block, lots of outdoor activities for the boys including the UK's only herd of reindeers. If you want any info please don't hesitate to pm me.
Speak soon
Karen xx