Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spring into chemo in March

Highlighted

Re: Spring into chemo in March

Have a lovely weekend ladies xx
Highlighted

pammy - i too had a melt down yesterday! dropped OH off for meeting and just driving home and tears came with a strong feeling of being overwhelmed. then when rads therapist asked how i was doing (as everyday) they fell again...and again this morning. there is a lot to contend with..rads, physio for sciatica, podiatry for pain in feet when walking, packing up hpousse to move to spain, leaving the family here...it's all adds up to major anxst. as we keep telling ourselves on this thread, we need to pace ourselves and not overdo it, but sometimes we have to keep going!
anyway...onwards and upwards...keep smiling through blah blah blah!!!
Highlighted

Big melt down yesterday something to do with 4 appointments in one day at two different hospital. I burst into tears after a junior doctor I had seen the previous day rang me on my mobile at 9am saying that she had asked the Bcn to look at the scar frm my blister. On getting to the hospital I asked to see the senior doctor who reassured me. This was then followed by nurse telling me that I needed counselling am I not allowed to burst into tears after 7 months of treatment sometimes it is just too much I do wonder how the professionals would cope if our roles were reversed. Everybody has words of wisdom sometimes there is no answer and we need the opportunity to explode And there is nothing wrong with that. Anyway rant over....
Highlighted

Hello Marchies,

I had my last chemo at the end of July but it had a sting in the tail as I was admitted to hospital 6 days later as the neutrophils were very low. Was in for 5 days but at least no more chemo. I'll be starting letrozole and have RADs in a couple of weeks. I've been given the option of (maybe) an accelerated course on Fast Forward Trial. I have also been told that I have osteoporosis so will be taking stuff for that too - and only last year considered I was a very healthy person! However, I am feeling pretty upbeat now that chemo is over and am looking forward to a weekend away.

Scottydog 1974 – Hope you are gradually feeling stronger. Take care of yourself.

Cassowary – hope RADS going OK for you

Cocobutterfly – hope RADS went well and that you are finding the Tamoxifen OK

Nipinuk – gosh you are busy! Glad you enjoyed your trip– We went to Alnwick a few years ago and the kids really enjoyed the Harry Potter associations and were fascinated by the Poison garden .

Daffodil66 hope all well post surgery. So glad to hear nodes are clear. I had a seroma which had to be drained several times pre chemo but it's fine now

Suzy52 hope decorating going OK but hope you are not overdoing it. Like you I have fine fuzzy hair growing slowly. Also get occasional sharp pain in breast but only momentarily. Have slightly numb left foot which I think is a TAX legacy and which is slowly improving

Twinnumber1 – you are doing well to be back at work – don’t overdo stuff at home and be kind to yourself

Woolfie you have a lot on your plate – hope you are managing to get some rest Glad things seem to be improving – do take care of yourself as well as your OH

Honeymonster So pleased to hear things are going well and that your cancer was downgraded

Angela glad to hear you have no SEs from Letrozole – I will start to take it in the next couple of days . One of my big toenails has a big black spot and looks a bit weird – not sure if it is going to desert me...Hope you have a lovely break

MRS_B Well done on race for life and pleased that you have finished chemo – it’s a great feeling isn’t it!

Mungos_mum
Hairwise, I have a lot of white ish fuzz mainly at the back – sides still pretty sparse... still I live in hope!

Pammy I am keeping up the exercises but not quite as conscientiously as immediately post surgery as during chemo felt pretty rough but now that it’s over I do try to do them.

JLR so sorry to hear that you didn’t get the news you had hoped for and that you are back in the waiting room. Glad to hear that you have ONC appointment Will be thinking of you

Shells64 – hope the pains in your legs clear up

Choccy61 hope all going well with RADS and tamoxifen

Hope that you are all OK Take care Nora xx
Highlighted

hi, suzy. sorry you're so tired. that's what happens i guess, when we going through 'stuff'. today was bad for me too, tears at the drop of a hat. the radiotherapist asked me how i was doing (as she does every day, and on came the tears. just too much going on with appointments for physio, podiatry, dr, rads and then packing up house....too much
we must learn to say no even when our OH's are under pressure i think. as RT said, as women we tend to take the pressure off others, and now is the time for them to bear most of the load!
try to take it easy
love A xx
Highlighted

Hello all
Have guests staying in our camper and feeling totally wiped out with all the catering!
Will post more soon. Hope everyone is hanging on out there.
xoxoxox
Highlighted

Hi Ladies, I hope rads are going well for everyone? I can't wait to start rads now but will be delayed due to seroma, had to be drained twice last week, again today so a good nights sleep for me tonight anyway! I started tamoxifen & no se's yet but then will surely be tiny in comparison to what we are all used to by now ;).
Angela - Hope you had a lovely weekend in luxury & what a thoughtful bunch sending you away!
Jlr - I hope your onc manages to stop your mind working overtime this week x.
Has anyone elses eye sight deteriorated since having chemo? Mine was borderline for glasses anyway but chemo seems to have speeded up the process so just booked an eye test, starting to dread yet another test now!
Take care everyone xxx
Highlighted

Jlr thinking of you, crossing fingers and toes it is nothing serious xx
Highlighted

Jlr- so sorry to hear your news lets hope the cysts are benign but how awful to have to play the waiting game again. Best of luck.
Highlighted

I was trying to reply to a specific question but it has come up in the general posts oh well!
Highlighted

Hi I am on the fast track radiotherapy trial entered into it hoping to get the week rather than the three standard weeks but no such luck I was randomly chosen to be in the control group i.e. 3 weeks.
Highlighted

Have a wonderful time Angela, I'll look forward to your take on the beauty of the Surrey Hills! (and watch out for Mungo if you are out for a walk, he has a habit of running off!!) C xx
Highlighted

i'm off to a hotel for a nice weekend break...i think it's in leatherhead and a bit up market (but not sure). All courtesy of our church...isn't that nice. will tell you all about it next week (away til monday)
hope you all have a good weekend and can put any concerns behind you for a few days
love A xx
Highlighted

Hello ladies
Have not be on for sometime been to see my mum had a lovely time expect for pains in legs is anyone else having problems with this
JIR; Sorry to hear your back on waiting game thinking of u xx
KAREN;WELL done take things one day at a time thinking of u xx
still waiting to see when starting rads but any one starting good luck thinking of u too . well i hope u all have a good weekend take care speak soon xxx
Highlighted

Jlr - seems 60% of lung nodules are benign - but the waiting game is torture, so sorry to hear your back in the waiting room.
Thinking of you and sending cyber hugs.
Suzy
Highlighted

Hi Im just jumping into your forum from Junes Jewells, to ask you ladies if any of you have been offered a 'fast track radiation trial?' it where they give you 5 session of intense radiation instead of the standard 15 sessions. Are any of you on the trial?
Highlighted

Thanks for the lovely support ladies. I have an appointment with my oncologist on Wednesday as I feel I have lots of questions and don't think I can wait 3 months to ask them. I did speak to my radiologist at yesterday's appointment but he couldn't really help. He did agree with me that if these new nodules are cancer then it has behaved very aggressively to grow whilst I was having chemo. He did say there are lots of treatment options but that there is still a possibility they may be "innocent" I am just not sure what else could have caused them to appear within the last 6 months, I have never smoked and haven't had an infection or anything so my mind is working overtime right now. I haven't told my son as he is 18 next week and due to start his first job the week after so he is really happy at the minute and thinks that once rads are over at end of next week that's it am cured lol, I don't want to burst his bubble! I have however had a good cry on my husband, poor bloke, suppose all i can do is wait xx xx
Highlighted

jlr
hope it is good news at the end of your wait love and best wishes pam
Highlighted

jlr
hope it is good news at the end of your wait love and best wishes pam
Highlighted

jlr
So sorry to read your post. I too hope the time passes quickly and that the news is good at the end of the wait. A big hug from me too. Xx
Highlighted

Jlr - I am so sorry you have had this news. I'm sending you a big hug with best wishes. xx
Highlighted

JLR - i'm sorry too, let's hope the time goes quickly and that it's good news at the end of it. thinking of you. love A xx
Highlighted

Jlr - so sorry to read your post. Fingers crossed for you and a very big hug. On a positive note, the original nodules are unchanged so that's got to be good. Xxx
Highlighted

Jlr - Sorry to hear you have an agonising wait ahead of you after all this, big hug from me too xxx
Highlighted

Hello Jlr, just came on to the site and saw your post. I'm so sorry that you have to go through this worry. Hugs xxx

Oh dear ladies, I got the results of my ct scan today and they are not great! The original nodules are unchanged but there are additional nodules on the outside of my lungs, these are currently too small to biopsie so another scan in 3 months to see if innocent or not. Can't believe am back on the waiting game xx
Highlighted

Oh dear ladies, I got the results of my ct scan today and they are not great! The original nodules are unchanged but there are additional nodules on the outside of my lungs, these are currently too small to biopsie so another scan in 3 months to see if innocent or not. Can't believe am back on the waiting game xx
Highlighted

Karen - Good to hear all went well & a flat tummy too! Hope you make a speedy recovery xxx
Highlighted

Karen - So glad you are home and feeling the benefit. Thank goodess for Mums! Hope your recovery continues quickly, you'll be back on the bike soon enough. xx
Highlighted

Thanks everyone for your encouragement and best wishes.What a difference a few days make! Waited for my moment and cleared the air with OH. I think part of it was that we were both at such a low ebb. When it came to talking about how we felt a lot of the anger and hurt had fizzled out which was probably a good thing.MungosMum really empathise with your comments. It is difficult to live with anyone all the time -children,parents,friends and partners-it takes hard work to keep them going and I think we women are usually more prepared to put that work in. So onward and upward feeling much more positive and starting to tackle clutter (in the house not just the emotional stuff!) that has built up over time.
Nora Batty congrats on finishing chemo and welcome to the summit. I was so delighted to have finished mine I forgot about the SE's which were actually worse for me this cycle than before but now 3 weeks on am starting to regain energy and motivation to do things.
Nipinuk good to hear from you enjoy your holiday and try and relax you always sound so busy.
Angela glad you enjoyed your break and the legs held out.
Suzy lovely to hear you are enjoying finishing your projects. Would love to see your painting when you feel you would like to share it.
ScottyDog so glad to hear you are recovering and pleased with your recon. you will be up and about in no time and how great to think you don't have to go through chemo that that is behind you.
Daffodil lymph nodes clear-whoopee! When I heard the news that the remaining nodes were clear I hugged the doc and the students that were in the room also I couldn't hold back it was so great to hear some good news for a change.
hair growth- I have a fuzz a mixture of silver and darker grey but the hairs break off easily. I have had no problems with my nails does it depend on what treatment you were on. My recon varies somedays it feels ok and others it is sore especially where they removed the bit of rib to attach the blood vessels.
I started rads on Tuesday and am so far driving myself to and from the hospital.
Best wishes to everyone
Highlighted

Karen, knew you'd come through with flying colours - just take baby steps, its a long but steady recovery. So happy to hear your pleased with the new look boob - it takes a good while to settle down, mine is still changing and becoming more natural. Flat tummy is definately a plus 😄
xoxox Suzy
Highlighted

karen, it's so good to hear from you, and that all went well with the op and after care. 10 hours is a looong time to be under. well done for getting through this, and i really hope you'll feel more and more 'human' as the days go by, and that your healing will be so swift that everyone will be amazed. take care and thank God for your mum
love A xx
Highlighted

Thanks for all your good wishes, I'm relieved to be home sweet home. Op went well, I was in theatre for 10hrs,had a tough week. Can't really do much for myself, thankfully have my Mum staying with me to help. Its terrible feeling helpless but I'm determined to get back on my feet, then my bike within time. The recon looks amazing, they did a skin sparing mx and my tummy looks so flat, so glad I've been comfort eating for the past 6 mths and developed a fat tummy so they had enough to remove and reconstruct my boob. It was such a relief when they removed the catheter! Another great feeling to get up walk to the bathroom and brush my teeth for the first time. Every day I feel more human. Take care ladies
Karen xxx
Highlighted

RADS – 3 down 12 to go!
Weekend was great, meeting up with many old friends and talking too much! Managed to walk most of the time, and just disappeared to our room when it got too much.
Hospital transport had its downfall yesterday...instead of coming 2 hours before appointment, it came 4 hours before! Fortunately we were home, and that treatment was thankfully slotted in 1 ½ hours before time. Still a lot of waiting around though. Hope it’s different today.
Suzy – I get pains on the rib area just under my treated side. I asked therapist if normal and she looked puzzled! My hair is lots of white fuzz too, but also some darker hair seems to be coming through.
Nipinuk – hope your hols continue to be a blessing and relaxing too.
Mungo’sMum- thanks for nail info...my toe nail is black, and I think it’s lifting, but can’t be sure...time will tell I suppose.
Daffodil – that’s such good news, I am so pleased for you.
Well dear ones, the sun is still shining, hope you are all able to enjoy it today. Have a good day.
Love A xx
Highlighted

Thanks, feeling a little shell shocked still! Just waiting for pain relief to kick in before attempting those lovely stretching exercises, still enduring 🙂 xxx
Highlighted

Fantastic news Daffodil, I'm so pleased for you. xx
Highlighted

Way to go Daffodil! Great news to start the day, what a relief for you.
xoxox
Highlighted

Hi Ladies, I had my results today & lymph nodes are clear! So pleased, could have cried, even consultant seemed happy to give me some good news fora change :). Just have a seroma to deal with at the moment, so hard to get comfortable & painkillers don't help, haven't taken codeine yet as not keen. Start rads in 3 weeks if I can get arm up, feel like I'm on the homeward stretch at last & chemo was all a bad dream (but thankfully did it's job!).
I hope everyone is doing ok & rads are going ok too xxx
Highlighted

Angela - Some of my finger nails have partially lifted. It is occuring from the top end, and exhibits as the upper white part extending into the pink. No nail is fully affected, and are growing well despite the damage, and I think will grow out in about 3 months. I hope this helps. xx
Got to dash off now, but till post more later. Best wishes all, xx
Highlighted

Suzy - I too get the sharp stabbing pains - as soon as I register it, it is gone. I get it in my treated boob and in my ribs (both sides) and shoulders. Jess x
Highlighted

Quick one as nowhere ti charge phone. We're in Alnwick Castle wgere ghe furst two Harry Potter films were made. Waiting for historical tour.
Hope to drive to Aviemore n camp for 2 nights tomorrow will be passing pitlochry!
Love to all x
Highlighted

Hi Ladies, it sounds like we are all getting our energy back at long last. Its so nice to start to feel normal again well apart from one dodgy, sore armpit but it's still better than chemo.
Suzy - My hair is over an inch long now, thicker & curly on top (had straight hair before) where I lost it & straight at the sides where the coldcap saved it. Just hope it decides one way or another, until then the wig is staying!
Honeymonster - Good results you must be so relieved!
I hope everyone has a lovely weekend xxx
Highlighted

Have not posted here for quite a while but have been reading all the posts and glad to see everyone is doing well and enjoying the good weather. I have received 3 rads 12 to go at the christie hospital in Manchester. I am still very stiff on the right side where I had the masectomy but this varies day by day . Can I ask are people still keeping up the exercises. I have found the whole process of treatment a long journey hard to imagine that I started this in January. The posts really cheer me up as I see everyone getting back to the normality of life is there anyone else in the Manchester area?
Highlighted

My goodness its Saturday already, where does the time go! We have been so busy trying to get the blasted kitchen finished - its taking forever, but I'm enjoying it as I like doing the finishing on projects, beats building hands down.
Christine, my 'masterpiece' as you so kindly called it is on hold till the mundane paint work is completed, but its nearly there, it s an abstract which the OH thinks looks like an image from the hubble telescope, I on the other hand see it the last exploding cancer cell, neuked by chemo! If I'm brave enough I'll post a photo of it and you can all give me your opinions. Hope your jungle garden is flourishing and the ice cream maker is in full swing! I'm so excited to use my new oven I can't make up my mind what to cook!
My arm and part of the tissue over my shoulder blade is still numb 6 months on - the nerve damage from a full ANC is pretty dramatic, but my surgeon said it should all come back eventually. I get these really curious single sharp pains, like I've been stung in random parts of my body, anyone else? It just lasts a nano second, wierd no? OH has taken to calling me 'Peachy' as I have fuzz growing all over my head now, anyone else? I'm soooo happy not to be plugged into a thermometer 24/7 what a relief that is and finally the taste buds have returned with a vengance 😄
Woolfie - sorry you've been having a tussle with the OH, I'm afraid the stereotypical 'difficult pateint' seems genereally to be the male of the spieces. We women are more inclined to take the pill and realise we have to eat and drink however crap we feel. 600 calories are nothing - I empathise, its an uphill struggle. When my OH was having his worse gout cirsis (he told me later he felt suicidal) he would refuse everything but a couple of smoothies. I got inventive and remembered my Mum used to make me egg flips when I was a child, raw whole egg whipped up with sugar and whole milk, so I did the same for him adding a bananna. I don't know if its suitable for your OH, but if he can take it, might be worth a try. Hope you've had the oportunity to clear the air.
Nipinuk hope you got off on holiday ok and you and the family are having a great time.
Angela, enjoy your weekend break.
Karen hope your doing well post op, thinking of you and hope your running up and down the corridors 😉
Have a great weekend everyone, continue to heal and remember to take time out to look after number 1 (I'm not good at it at all, apparently)
xoxox
Highlighted

lumpectomy completed
FEC75 x6 completed
rads x 15 - 2 down 13 to go! hospital car to & from working out well...i recommend it. frees up OH for other things
letrazole 2 weeks in, no SE's so far
just off for a weekend break to ashburnham place near battle in sussex. it's a beautiful place with 3 lakes, woodland, wild deer roaming in the woodland. it used to be a favourite place to take our oldest GD. she's a non stop talker, and always has been from a young age, but when we went deer hunting and i told her she had to be very quiet or they would dissappear before we saw them, she was quiet for an hour (at 4 years old) a miracle! but it paid off cos we saw a whole herd. not unusual for those in the new forest area, but very unusual in ashburnham!
not sure how my legs will hold out to LOTS of walking, hope it's beneficial and not the opposite.
have a great weekend everyone, and hope that all SE's are becoming a thing of the past now.
what were the 1st signs of losing a nail? would appreciate info xx
love A xx
Highlighted

Karen hope surgery went very well. 9 hours is a long time! I might be able to visit you in hospital 😉 we've had to postpone Germany for at least a couple of weeks so we've decided to take off to Scotland. Travelling up to in-laws for 2 nights tomorrow and probably head up to Scotland on Saturday. Will pm you my mobile. Please don't worry if you're not up to seeing anyone. I remember what it's like after surgery. I'll pm you my mobile no.
Friends from Malaysia stayed with us Monday night. She brought me some moon cake and pineapple tarts - yummy!
Woolfie, I really feel for you. You've got it doubly hard compared to the rest of us. i hope you do ask friends n family for help when you want it. Christine, completely know what you mean about resentment building up bit. you're doing so much! I guess son's at a football activity thing? My boys went fishing at the lake near us and had a good time. They told me they "hated" fishing! Our council offers free summeactivist ties and this is one of them. Ys caught 2 fish with his friend and eldest caught 8 with his mate!
Ewww, just noticed how black my nails still are from chemo. Any ideas on removing the toxins?
nora well done and welcome at the summit! You can focus on getting well!
Suzy - yay! Final coat on kitchen walls! Woo hoo! We've still got to put on a final coat of paint for our desperately should be doing some painting on the outside walls but that will have to wait a bit longer 😉
Tanya glad you're recovering well!
jess, fab to hear from you. Nice sounds perfect!
angela, all the best with packing. Is daughter helping you?
carol, can't believe there's a thread for August now!
I'm so sorry this is short but I've still got packing and cleaning to do!
take care all. I've skimmed through the posts. We hope to be away 7-10 days. I can't wait to take photos of the landscape! Briging tripod and insect repellent. Hope that's enough. Wish you were all on Whatsapp!
take care n big hugs all round!
ps. I felt and still feel tired from rads. Had soreness and a bit of broken skin at base of nipple about a week after treatment completed.
Highlighted

Hello Marchies, I'm recovering well from op 2 weeks ago and had my post op check today. Got clear margins and just one lymph node involved and grade downgraded from a 2 to a 1 which is good. However the amount of shrinkage to tumour wasn't that much in the end but hey it doesn't matter now since it's gone! I was dreading it today so glad i didn't get any further bad news. Rads will start in a couple of weeks for 3 weeks and I started tamoxifen tonight. Fingers crossed for that.
Nora, so glad you've finished chemo now and hope the last set of se's are ok.
Daffodil, pleased to hear your op was ok and Karen hope it went well and you recover soon.
Best wishes to everyone else and especially to Woolfie going through a hard time. X
Highlighted

Well doe Nora! I have really lost track of where everyone is up to with their treatment, but it doesn't mean I don't think of everyone a lot!
Daffodil, glad your op is over. I considered asking a question about the number of nodes affected (I had 3, one encapsulated) but as they only seemed to test 2 from the main branch, I am struggling to understand how they can be sure. At my hospital they don't scan unless four nodes were postive. I focus on the positive, and the fact that they treat so many women for this disease, that we all must seem really mundane examples to the physicians. Headaches can just be a headache! Rest up and take it easy. Your arm will feel peculiar for quite some time. nearly six months on, My arm is still partially numb and feels swollen much of the time, which it obviously isn't!
Woolfie, I do feel for you both. For you both to be diagnosed and treated for different B*ggers at the same time must have been awful. My OH and I have fallen into a predictable pattern of behavior - Me keeping going and probably doing too much (resentment bubbling underneath!!) and him being concerned but internalising it and not really letting it show - ie our relationship hasn't really changed at all!!!! Try to find an opportunity to spend time on yourself as often as you can, taking your GD swimming must have been great. The young generation are wonderful at perking us up.
Suzy - hope the painting went OK, and your masterpiece is ready for installation.
Karen - thinking of you today - hope all went well, and you recuperate quickly. xx
Has anyone noticed much hair recovery going on? I have an ostrich thing going on on top, and it feels as if it is growing thicker at the back, but a photograph doesn't show up much. Might be because just about every hair is now white,

Best wishes to all you wonderful ladies. xx
Highlighted

HI everyone

Haven't posted for a while but have been reading everyone's posts. Had LAST chemo on Friday - it feels so good not to be waiting for the next one. Not sure when starting RADS due to mix up re appointment. Hope you are all doing OK. Best wishes to those who have had surgery or are having RADs at present. Just wanted to sday thanks for all your support. Never joined online Forum before but it was good to touch base with people going through the same thing who could understand perfectly what it was like. Hope you keep in touch as I'd really like to hear how you are all getting on.
Take care of yourselves

Nora xx
Highlighted

Hello all!

It's so long since I've been on here I think I'll have to go back and make notes so that I can reply to everybody! I will go through and read everything (4weeks' worth!) but just want to say I hope all is going well for you today Karen and that I'm thinking of you.

Started rads on Monday - no side effects yet but applying Aloe Vera gel liberally! Also started tamoxifen (Wockhardt if anyone is interested). Apart from hot flushes, which I was having anyway, no side effects but I don't know how soon they would start.

Are we all at the summit now? I've lost track a bit! I know some may still have surgery but look how far we've come - I see there's a thread now for those starting chemo in August. This horrible disease claims new people every day 😞

Will hopefully pop back later.

Carol xx