349612posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spring into chemo in March

Highlighted

Re: Spring into chemo in March

Just really been enjoying reading everyones posts and catching up. Had a lovely lunch with Suzy,Mungos-mum and Honeymonster on Tuesday. It was like meeting old friends and a bit surreal at the same time after all we do bare our souls on here don't we. Thanks Suzy for organising  it would be lovely to do it again when you come back in February and maybe more could join us.  Love the kitchen and your art work.

Jlr- glad things are moving forward lets hope you get some answers.

Scotty dog -I didn't feel too fatigued when having radio and drove myself to the hospital but we are only 30 mins away and your surgery is more recent.

Now you have been talking about chemo brain! OH and me were getting in a bit of a stew about what was going to happen next for him and looked at the bad news letter again which he got on return from holiday only to realise when looking at the date that it was a report from before he had the radiotherapy! What a pair of plonkers! Much relief! so lets hope things are ok. He does have a scan on the 16th  and his next appointment on the 31st so we should know more then. lesson- read things properly!

have a good weekend all

Highlighted

I found my boots this morning!  ES found my car keys, so equilibrium has returned to our home!!

Karen,  I tried to talk to a friend this morning about how I feel physically better, but my brain doesn't seem to be speeding up yet.  She responded with the fact that she felt the same because she hadn't had much sleep.... I gave up at that point!

Daffodil - I really enjoyed pilates.  I have done it before, but went back to a beginner session as I am so unfit.  I have already noticed a difference walking today.  I'm looking forward to regaining the inch I lost when I stopped!  It seems like a gentle way of exercising, but you get out of it what you put in. It's just  a relief that everyone else is concentrating on themselves during the lying down exercises; The prosthetic doesn't lie the same way as my good side!!

Suzy - :I have a trip to JL planned next month, it will be my first major christmas shop.   My mum comes down to stay purely to visit JL.  Your kitchen looks fantastic, and I love the colours you have used in your painting.  Have a safe trip home.

I had some compliments today abut my new hairstyle (as if I chose it!!) and someone commented that I looked edgy, and she wondered if I was an artist from Hoxton! It is so different to my previous look  (Think Julia Roberts with her finger in an electric socket)  but it is an opportunity to try something I probably wouldn't have otherwise.  However, I now have a pair of straighteners I probably won't use again - any takers?!!

Have a good weekend all, xx

Highlighted

Suzy enjoy your shopping spree, I love John Lewis too.
Jlr good luck for Monday will be crossing fingers and toes for you.
Daffodil great to hear you're so upbeat and thinking about diet and exercise. I'm itching to get active again. I went for a cycle the morning of my surgery, it was a sunny day and I cycled along the beach. Since July I've been unable to stand up properly. My physio is really helping. I can't wait to do some yoga.
Pammy like you I'm wanting to try new things and go to new places. I tried flower arranging last week and found it very relaxing.
Mungoes Mum did you find your boots and car keys? When I talk about chemo brain, people tell me they've been suffering from it for years, minus the chemo, its called getting older. Cheeky bunch!
I'm feeling really positive and upbeat too. I'm not worried about rads, I think getting a parking space will be the most stressful bit. Have a great weekend everyone xx
Highlighted

Hi, have been feeling really positive lately  with treatment nearly finishing then I go & read an article in the mail today which sets off a wobbly moment. Is it normal to feel like this & does it get easier I wonder? 

On a lighter note, I seem to be confusing people at the moment going with & without the wig, even the staff at the hospital who see me everyday are confused. 

Nora, I emailed too & am now booked in. I hope your rads are going ok, the tiredness has just kicked in for me but could be the tamoxifen keeping me awake at night not helping too.

Suzy, love the kitchen! 

Mungosmum, I'm hoping to go to Rhodes if all goes well otherwise could be Cornwall again! Hows the pilates going, physio recommended it once rads are finished?

Carol, I keep checking the weather too, are you packing the wig? Thought about taking it for evenings for a more glam look but might confuse everyone there too!

As for healty eating, I've lost half a stone as also had tummy ache in the first few weeks of taking tamoxifen, settled down now though & have another half to go but I ate fairly healthily before bc so not too concerned as look where

that got us :(.  I have made more of an effort to cut down on the wine though, every little helps! 

I hope you all have a lovely weekend xxx

Highlighted

Evening All

Headless chicken here, running around trying to fit in all the things we need to do,buy and see before heading back home. Good news on the appointments front, both surgeons were very happy with my healing and I have a little tidy up procedure booked for the new year on my hip scars, which will be done under local, so very straight forward. 

I understand why you were all unable to see the photo's - I had set my album preferences to private, now you should be able to see them! 

Janey, I'm really glad you are having the ultra sound on Monday and hope the outcome is good. I'm sure we are all carrying you around in our heads, waiting with you.

Carol I think holiday first, diet later is the way to go. I will be changing my regime shortly as I have over indulged while back in the UK and as I understand our metabolism will be slower on the meds its going to be an uphill climb. I was told today that my body will adjust gradually to the meds and the insomnia/paranoia will subside, I live in hope!

OXOXO to all.  John Lewis tomorrow Christmas shopping with my Mum!

Highlighted

Hi All
Just been catching up with all the posts - there's been a bit of a flurry of activity which is good to see 🙂

Jlr I'm glad you're going to be seen sooner, the waiting must be agony. Will be thinking of you on Monday. Xx

Daffodil (Nora, Woolfie, Pammy and probably everyone to some degree) - I'm with you on the paranoid thing! As soon as I started taking tamoxifen I started getting tummy ache and abdominal discomfort which lasted about 4/5 weeks. I mentioned it at my herceptin review and the nurse looked it up in a book and it says tamoxifen can cause "gastro-intestinal disorders" - which would cover tummy ache. Had full bloods done, including liver function, and all fine - but, goodness my mind was working overtime! Anyway, everything settled down about 2 weeks ago - apart from the hot flushes! I recently met someone who'd been through it a couple of years ago through a car club we belong to and she knew exactly what I meant - I don't think until you've been through this, you really understand what it's like. Good on you doing the painting though - are you up ladders?! You asked about going to Crete in October - we haven't been quite this late before and I keep checking the forecast! It's certainly warmer than here but there is the occasional thunderstorm so we're going to pack for all eventualities!

Karen, glad tattoos went OK! I drove myself to rads every day, about 40 minutes each way and I was fine, but as Daffodil says, your rads are almost on top of your surgery so it might be different for you. Nothing like a spot of retail therapy - beats radiotherapy any day! Christmas?! I'm not normally one to start thinking about it until about the middle of November at the earliest! I am hoping this year will be better than last year - I found my lump on 16th December and we decided not to tell anyone about it as there was no point in spoiling everyone's Christmas, especially as it could have been nothing - haha, if only! Christmas Day is 3 months today - yikes!

Mungo's Mum - what are you knitting? We had our sitting room carpet cleaned yesterday and discovered a cardigan I started about 2 years ago lurking in a carrier bag behind the sofa! Maybe I'll finish it now - though it probably won't fit me now :(. Glad your hair is growing - the hair I have got is getting longer but I can still see scalp!

Really pleased some of you met up yesterday - hopefully more of us will be able to make it next time!

Suzy, I can't see your kitchen picture either! How did you get on with he plastic surgeon today? I don't see my surgeon until February.

Woolfie, sorry to hear your holiday wasn't what you'd hoped for and even more sorry that you came home to uncertain news - fingers crossed for you.

Pammy and Nipinuk - I share your challenges of eating healthily! Decided I'm not going to lose half a stone in the next week so will worry about it when we get back from holiday - then it will be a nice round stone!

Angela - hope you've got clarification on the swimming and have been able to have a dip in the pool!

Take care all, bye for now
Carol xx
Highlighted

Daffodil Think I've registered (semi registered??!) online for 5 Dec course but got message saying they couldn't send an email so have emailed info@breastcancercare.org.uk to check if I am registered.

Nipinuk, I got a letter about information events - but if you go to http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-services/talks-courses-support-groups/talks-courses in your area If you click on the course name you should (in theory) be able to register although there seem to be glitches...

Jlr - hope ultrasound goes OK - pleased to hear that they are checking things out. Thinking of you

ScottyDog I have found Rads OK and hope they go well for you

Mungo's mum hope you find those boots - know that chemo brain feeling...

Hope all you Marchies are OK

Nora x

Highlighted

It is so lovely to read how everyone's energy is returning. 

Janey, I am so pleased your radiologist managed to speed things up for you.  The waiting room is an awful place to be, thankfully you won't be there long.  Fingers crossed. xx

Karen, glad the rads process is moving on smoothly.  I thought I was being good thinking about christmas! you put me to shame!  I seem to have a need to give my close family some hand made presents this year, I am quite sure even a novice psychologist can work that one out!  I am now knee deep in wool and have to get knitting!

Daffodil - your house will look amazing! Where are you going on holiday? Spain seems to be a popular destination this year for Marchies! 

Angela, I too have had dry pimply skin, and have felt dehydrated generally actually.  I am trying to drink more and moisturising, and it seems to be fading.

Suzy - I can't see a picture of your kitchen either!  It sounded so full of character.

I was feeling so up beat at returning to normal last week, then was brought back down with a bump when chemo brain set in again this week! I have lost my boots, (still can't locate them!) lost my car keys (and with only one set is rather important I don't....) and have forgotten more appointments than i have made.  Still, on the upside, my hair has decided to grow back, yay!

We had  a lovely lunch yesterday, guided by Suzy's expert knowledge of dim sum.  I was delighted to find people I had got to know through the forum, our characters really shine through our posts.  It felt like meeting up with old friends. 

xx

Highlighted

Jlr, about time they did something! I don't think they realise how agonizing the wait is. But goodluck for monday, will be thinking of you . I had mine scanned a couple of weeks ago as was worried as seemed swollen but was nothing, thats why I'm going on the signs & symptoms talk as there seems to be a fine line between being vigilant & paranoid for me anyway! X

Scottydog, I'm not feeling tired having rads & am driving myself but you've had major surgery so just see how it goes. Good you have found the energy to shop again 😉 x

Highlighted

Hi ladies
I've got my badge of honour now, two little tattoos! All went well today and I start rads on the 14th Oct, my last day will be the 1st Nov. How have you found the fatigue? My Dad has kindly offered to drive me , but I'm hoping I'll be able to manage by myself. I went for a spot of retail therapy afterwards. After being unable to walk/ wheeled about in a wheelchair I enjoyed my freedom. I bought lots of lovely treats in M&S. I've got reflexology tomorrow. The Queen of Norway opened a new Maggies Centre yesterday, I'm looking forward to checking it out.
How was your girly get-together?
Karen xx
Highlighted

Hi all

Hope you enjoyed your meet up and had a lovely lunch.

I have had my 6 week chek up with radiologist today and he said all is fine from a radiotherapy point of view, he doesn't however like the lump on my collarbone and is not happy to wait for my next ct scan in October so has booked me for ultrasound on Monday afternoon. At least now it feels like something is being done xx
Highlighted

Nipinuk - yes I've seen your picture with long hair. Did you click on my profile name above my avatar? if you do you should see the image on the right side of the screen, its the only one.
Highlighted

Hi, good to hear some of you met up, how was the dim sum? Suzy, I hope your appointment goes well today.

Karen, you are definatley making the most of your time off, coffee cake sounds good,  isn't it lovely to be able to taste things again. 

I'm still painting the doors & windows outside in between rads as feeling well & starting to get restless now.  We are hopefully going on holiday mid october if rads go ok, applying  lots of cream & going braless when poss seems to do the trick so far.

Nora, let me know if you are going to that talk. I've tried to book online but can't log in, thought it would be the same as the forums?

Angela, I had that dry goosepimply skin after chemo, I just applied lots of moisturiser & seems to have gone on its own. 

Anyway lunch break over & back to painting, lucky old me! Xxx

Highlighted

Suzy, I can't see your photo. I've tried adding you as a friend to see if that helped but nope!
Can you see my photo with long hair?

Ooh, I hope things work out with es and exchange student. We could see you and see them!

Suzy, hope app with plastic surgeon goes well tomorrow and that you come away very happy.

Karen, great that physio went well and you've got more movement. When do you start rads and how many sessions are you having? Has your surgery wound healed up alright? Don't forget the aloe vera gel.

Blimey woman, it's only September! Wish you were here to sort me out!

You must have a big celebration for your 40th!

xx
Highlighted

Hi there,

it was great to meet up for lunch today, such a shame we couldn't all have made it.

I have posted a pic in my album to show off the kitchen although its not quite finished!

Nipinuk, Gramat is about 40 mins from us! What a small world 🙂

Karen you sound like your having fun with all the domestic goddess stuff! Glad the physio is working.

I'm off to see my plastic surgeon tomorrow so it will be interesting to see what he has to offer re the 'tidy' up job.

Angela sounds like the Spanish is pretty good if you understood all that from the gardener, as long as he wasn't offering you a donkey and you misunderstood, which is the likely scenario if it had been me in your shoes!

Take care TTFN xx

Highlighted

Cheers lovely ladies, I can't be with you in person but I'm thinking of you all as I drink my ginger & lemon tea. Hope you have a great reunion today! Big hugs to all.
Well my rads planning was a bit of an anticlimax, no scan or tattoos, just a chat. Apparently I'm being fast tracked, ahead of 400 others waiting for rads here. I have the tattoos tomorrow. I'm glad it won't hurt. I had my first physio yesterday, which went well. My shoulder has moved forward and need to get it back to original position. He is confident he can sort me out quite quickly. I can't wait to get back to my exercises snd hill walking. I've been a domestic goddess recently, I went to a flower arranging class and baked scones and a coffee cake.
I am so glad you're still here for support, I appear to be the last one to have rads. I'm excited to finally get to this stage and be able to think ahead to a holiday, Christmas and my 40th Birthday next year. I'vd already written my Christmas cards and wrapped some pressies I've never been so organised!
Karen xx
Highlighted

Enjoy your lunch and jaw exercise ladies! Will be thinking of you all x

Angela, it was 3mg of melatonin.

For dry skin, sea kelp or seaweed is supposed to be good though I haven't noticed too much. I take a sea kelp supplement when I remember and cut strips of seaweed with my noodles.

I've got a dry scalp for which I'm using organic coconut oil. I remember the smell of coconut oil on my Indian friends and ladies' hair so it's been going donkey years 😉

Suzy, just got letter from Es school about exchange programme to a secondary school in Gramat near Dordogne!

Pammy, cancer has changed my priorities and the way I view life which I think is a good thing! I know what you mean about trying to eat healthily. I have the same challenge!

Nora, my brain's gone to pots. I keep saying I need to do some brain exercises but they're boring! What course are y planning to attend in Dec?

Janey , I'm thinking of you too. This waiting game is a nightmare!

Take care all xx
Highlighted

Hope everyone is OK. Apologies for not replying to everyone - brain still not fully functional...!

Angela, Glad that things seem to be going well in Spain.

Jlr am thinking about you - hope all will be well

Daffodil am at same stage as you with Rads and also might attend course in December .

Take care 

Nora x

Highlighted

Suzy, sorry to miss the opportunity to meet up as unfortunately can't make Tuesday but if there is another London meetup would be interested
Highlighted

Greetings o recovering ones! Goodness, has the site changed? Now we can scroll down to read previous posts? Or has it always been like this and I hadn’t realised!!! (most likely!)

Daffodil – your rads’ll be over before you know it, and then life will begin again, but take it easy then! Thanks for your good wishes by the way. My energy is returning slowly but surely too thank God.

Mungo’s mum – not having trouble with veins, but with seat belt...’tho I only had a lumpectomy, there’s not enough there to keep the seat belt comfortably in place. It’s caused me to think about asking for some kind of recon.

Has anyone an opinion on that? I’d value your views x

Nipinuk - do you know what strength melatonin roadshow takes? I have bought some but one pill doesn’t seem to have much effect, so may try 2

Does anyone have a better remedy for dry goosebumpy feeling skin on arms (or anywhere else for that matter) than E45 cream?

Carol – we are busy, but that will only be until we get to grips with all the stuff we need to do in the church (routines and programmes etc). Then we can relax a bit and be choosy about what we involve ourselves in, but we need to show our faces at everything first. Concerning swimming, I think I’ll check again with onco as there seems to be a general concensus that it would be ok. It would be rather nice to get in the pool! Hope you have a brill holiday in Crete when it comes round.

Suzy – I asked the Spanish gardener the other day what he was collecting the carob for, and if I understood correctly, he sells it to the donkey owners for meal (but I may have misunderstood as my andalusian Spanish is not good (as opposed to real Spanish!)) Hope you have a brilliant time in UK, and that the meet up goes really well. Enjoy your time together.

JLR – sorry your having a low period, I hope it passes really quickly, and that you will feel better soon. The break in Spain will do you the world of good. Your OH must be a gem, and deserves a break too bless him. Hope your lumps prove to be nothing to worry about xx is playa flamenco anywhere near Fuengirola?

Woolfie – lovely to hear from you again, I’ve missed you x not sure I would like the threading, there is so much on the sides of my face, about ¾ inch long!!! Bearded woman...just glad it’s very fair and doesn’t show in all lighting situations (I think, anyway!). so sorry that your OH has that tough letter, that must be a difficult pill to take. Thinking of you both, and hope things turn out better than you think at the moment xx

Pammy – good to hear from you again x

Well, there seems to be a good internet connection at the moment, so I’d better post this quickly before it goes off again! Have a great week, and for those going out together on Tuesday, have a wonderful time. A xx

Highlighted

Hello all, just  PM'd those who I know can make it to lunch on Tuesday. Any more takers?

Hope your all having a good weekend.

xx Suzy

Highlighted

Haven't posted recently although regularly read thread finished rads but still a hey and sore on affected side after masectomy. I am glad to see everyone is doing so well also worried about recurrence but trying to eat healthy and exercise although a struggle. I found that I have taken a fresh look at life looking for different activities and differnt people , perhaps things I have always wanted to do rather than putting them off love pam
Highlighted

Daffodil, have you tried aloe vera gel? It must be 99.9% pure. I talked to two different radiographer s on separate occasions and they would use aloe vera over aqueous cream.

I also had an organic egg a day and have lots of seaweed during rads. Eggs if I remember correctly (please check) has amino acid cysteine used in anti-radiation pills. I don't eat more than one a day.

Woolfie, I'm so sorry to hear about hubby. That's terrible to be misinformed. Recurrence is something we all have at the back of our minds.

Janey wonderful to hear that you're going away to Spain with hubby. Enjoy! The weather here can't seem to make up its mind!

Karen, poor you! Hope you get the pain sorted. My abdomen (womb?) was hurting earlier which is a first since taking tamoxifen.

Really tired as didn't sleep till about 3am, felt down, thought I might cry at doc's today but was fine - phew!

Angela, what a pain! I don't write having to rewrite! Enjoy Spanish!

Take care all xx

Highlighted

Hi Ladies,  good to hear everyones doing well & getting some normality back. 8 rads down & 10 to go, glad its the weekend as poor nipple was very tender last night. They told me to put aqueous cream in the fridge & have been applying regularly.  Fingers crossed it holds out! 

Woolfie, shame about your holiday & the dreaded letter, I hope alls well for him. I'm with you on worrying about reoccurring, Bcc are doing a talk in london in December about signs & symptoms which I'm going to attend. As for the hair thing I am going wigless most of the time as feel own hair will grow better. I went for a trim this week (I cold capped wasn't a huge success but has come back very thick & curly) & had a wash in colour put on it then she gave me some heavy duty putty to try & style it with (looked ok when she did it) but just looks like a red shag pile rug when I do it! I went shopping for the first time without wig yesterday & needless to say didn't buy a thing as nothing looked nice. Will definatley be taking wig on next shop!

I hope your rads appointment & tattoos went ok Karen, when are you starting?

Have a wonderful time at your meet up on Tuesday & have a great weekend everyone xxx

Highlighted

Hello everyone Just been catching up with all the news. I must say it is good to have everyone back  and really looking forward to meeting up with some of you on Tuesday.

Angela- How wonderful that ou are now in Spain. It sounds great  so many new things to discover and enjoy. sorry you can't join us on the 24th after all it was you who got us started on this thread. Good news about your son and DIL . I too have become aware  of what seems like more downy facial hair than I was aware of before. do we know why and will it continue? Daughter has taught herself how to do threading so might enlist her services if it gets  much worse.

Like  many of you am wigless more than wigged at the moment it feels more natural tho growth in this respect is very slow. Like you say chemo does this to you and in a way i don't think we should hide it but be proud of ourselves that we are fighting it.

Daffodil- hope  you are nearly at the end of your radiotherapy and not fining it too bad. Altho I found treatment ok and finished some time ago I still still have discolouration of the skin and hoping it is not permanent.

Nipinuk- glad you enjoyed Scotland. Sorry to hear about your OH's injury and hope he is on the mend ribs can take a long time. Sorry you can't make Tuesday

Mongos-mum -Glad you had a lovely holiday.

Scotty Dog- Sorry you are finding difficulty walking hope the physio helps. I think they remove a tiny bit of rib during recon so they can attach the blood vessels to those beneath it. I had mine on 31st January and it is still sore  at that point and a bit lumpy. plastics still keep telling me to give it time and to massage areas of breast that feel lumpy as they are saying it is fat necrosis. I have concerns which I discussed with her but she says they will be able to correct things including doing a lift on the other side but at a later date i am in no hurry for more surgery at the moment.

Jlr- you must be beside yourself with worry. Let's hope you get some answers soon. How inconsiderate of  your onc to take  holiday when you need looking after! Enjoy Spain you deserve a good holiday.

As it comes round to nearly a year since i was diagnosed I get fleeting worries about reoccurrence I try not to think about it but it creeps in sometimes . How does it feel for others?

Speaking of holidays---ours was not a success maybe I should have done more research but the Scillies were not suitable for Billy -very little access plus the weather changed significantly and when gales were forecast we cut it short and got off the island whilst we could!  so we were home on Sunday to clear up the mess of having the new kitchen installed still not quite got everything  back in its place. and we came home to a letter from the hospital which said things were not as  good as we thought for OH. Misleading info on somebody's part. They want to do a further biopsy

Wednesday I was in Birmingham by 8 am to collect 'Van the man ' from its repairers only to discover it had a petrol leak luckily I had not gone far and the guy was able to come and sort out the problem -a loose clip. Thank goodness I decided to fill up at their local petrol station and not half wasy down the motorway.  So things are getting back to normal whatever that is.

Suzy- see you on Tuesday.

Highlighted

hi scotty dog

no, tatoos don't hurt, it feels just like a light scratch. don't worry about it 🙂

i'm jealous of the gathering, i wish i could be there too. it would be the greatest fun i'm sure. i too have been going wig/scarf/hat less, it was just too hot at the end of the summer there, so i plucked up the courage and am so glad i did. i do get odd looks occasionally, but have adopted the attitude that as i can't see what i look like, the problem is theirs not mine. i do feel sometimes like shouting at people "chemo does this!" but it would do no good.

we keep going off line here in spain, it's so frustrating, and i lost my last mail to my daughter and had to write it over again grrrr.

i'd love to do some baking, but have to get used to an electric oven after using gas all my married life, and also need to find out the spanish for which flour i need! we'll get there eventually.

we're enrolling for spanish classes on friday evening.

well, have a good day tomorrow, and hope it's not as cold tonight as your weather forcast says it'll be!! here it's 30C!

love A xx

Highlighted

Janey I love the sound of your holiday, it'll be such a nice treat after everything you've gone through this year. I hope you and hubby have a lovely time.
Suzy bon voyage! Enjoy yourself, wish I could join you all, I'll be thinking of you all having fun and non-stop chit chat.
Choccy thanks for inspiring me to go out without my hat or wig today. It was my first time showing off my new Jessie J look and it feels liberating! I went down to my cancer centre for a nice reflexology session and they all said I look really trendy and have the cheek bones to carry it off. Next step, going shopping au natural!
I spent the afternoon in hospital yesterday to investigate why I'm in pain and still struggle to stand upright. They are referring me to a physio. I have my oncology appmt this Friday, not looking forward to having tatoos - does it hurt? If anyone likes baking, its National Cupcake Week I'm going to bake some ginger cupcakes tomorrow yum!
Have a nice evening
Highlighted

Hello all and thank you to those asking about me,

I have not been on here much as feeling a little down at the minute. Apparently my oncologist is away which is why I don't have an appointment to see him yet but I have my 6 week check after rads next Wednesday so will mention the extra lumps on collarbone then. BCN seems to think they will just check them when they do my next ct scan on the lung nodules at end of october. It's just a lot of waiting and wondering and being scared! So I have decided to see GP about a phased return to work and try to get back to normal and then worry about ct scan when I have it! Also i still dont have any hair, eyebrows or lashes! Wish they would hurry up and grow!

On the plus side hubby and I have booked to go see my mum (she lives in Spain) we have booked a lovely lttle Villa with its own pool and very much looking forward to a week of good relaxation., especially my hubby, bless him he only gets 20 days leave per year and he used every single one on accompanying me to hospital so this will be a lovely break for him too. We don't go until 12th October but am hoping it will still be sunny, it's southern Spain, playa flamenca and usually it's really lovely weather. mungos-mum it's not far from where you have just been, our Vila is a five minute walk from the go kart track!

I hope you all enjoy your meet up, it's a little far away for me but I hope you have a lovely afternoon.

Xx xx
Highlighted

Christine we will be Tony Robinson look-a-likes on the 24th! Easy to spot each other haha!

Carol glad the evonail worked for you, my nails are good too, although in need of a severe manicure! It's all the chainsawing, and hauling of wood that trashes them, so Nipinuk you don't need to envy my woodburners, although the woods free from our land we have to work our socks off to get it, then its gone in an instant, and its our only heating!

To those of us meeting up on Tuesday the 24th, I will book the restaurant 

for 12.30 and confirm by private message on Sunday evening. 

Looking forward to our get together - I will be in transit from tomorrow so until then take care one and all.

xxx

Highlighted

Evening All

I'm absolutely pooped! I've been trying to get things sorted out before our trip north and it seems never ending. Anyone would think we are leaving for 6 months not just 10 days! 

We are all sounding pretty perky which is good, still wondering how your doing Janey? I'm hoping no news is good news? We are all rooting for you.

Nipinuk I think Daffodil nailed it with her suggestion of cider, you could go into organic cider production! Thanks for the tip about melatonin, I will make inquiries. I just would like to get a handle on this insomnia before I turn into an old grouch, unless that's a lost cause 😉 Hope Roadshow is doing well, please send her my best xx

Angela I've only tried carob a couple of times and I have to say I thought it was nasty, but its a purely personal opinion, others may differ. As its never appealed to me I've not the slightest idea what to do to the pods, good luck! Seems like your having all the good weather, and all the visitors - there has to be a catch 😉

Highlighted

Forgot to say there was an article in the mail (a week ago) about Jenni Murray & her onc said you can dye hair as soon as its long enough for the hairdresser to cope. So will let you know how it goes! 

I am definatley enjoying the simple things in life these days  too such as energy & tastebuds at last!

Have a good day  xxx

Highlighted

Hi ladies, good to hear you are doing well Carol, have you been to crete in october before as hoping to go to Rhodes mid oct & was wondering what weather will be like then? 

If anyones eyelashes are struggling,  I've been using rapid lash for 6 weeks now & they are better than before chemo. 

Angela, no beard as yet but I know threading is brilliant for facial hair. Enjoy the weather & relaxation before the guests arrive!

Have just phoned hairdresser about putting a semi on hair, naughty I know but its long enough almost 😛 & can't wait!

Nipinuk, thanks, will let you know how I get on. Didn't you make cider too?;)

Take care everyone xxx

Highlighted

Hi All,

Just been catching up with what everyone's been up to and as Angela says, it sounds as though we're slowly but surely returning to normal, or the new normal. This time last year we were in Kefalonia and I had no idea our lives would have taken such a detour from normality! Hubby has retired now too, so that's an adjustment - not liking the fact that I now get up first and make him a cup of tea rather than the other way round. I bought him a Haynes manual on cooking for his birthday but I can see I'm going to have to take a less subtle approach ;).

Glad you've settled well in Spain Angela, although you sound very busy! I hope Autumn takes its time getting to Mijas. It's certainly very autumnal here.... and, yes, we've had the heating on but haven't stocked up on logs yet for the fire.

I think in the info I was given, it just said don't swim in chlorinated water until any skin irritation has cleared up, which is what Nipinuk has said. They told me to keep that area out of the sun completely for a year otherwise it would cause permanent pigmentation damage - not that I have any intention of going topless but my skin was marked quite high up my chest, almost to my collar bone, so high necked T-shirts for me until next August!

Hope those of you still going through rads aren't finding it too bad and that your skin's holding up OK and Karen, I hope planning went OK for you on Friday and that you were comfortable enough by then to be able to lie down on the rads table.

Good for you Nipinuk with your apples - you'll have to go on Freecycle for jars now! Christine - any luck with the quinces?

Woolfie, pleased to read that all looks normal for your OH, hope the CT confirms that in a couple of months.

On the hair front, I've been going without my wig for about 2 weeks now - given a few clients and reps a bit of a shock as I went from having a very full head of blonde "hair" one week to grey fluff the next : D!! It is growing, but not quickly enough for my liking :(. I'm also suffering with chilly ears! I do have eyelashes now and my brows are filling in slowly. I haven't noticed an increase in facial hair yet, but like others am suffering with hot flushes and insomnia. Still holding on to my nails, though a couple of them feel a bit loose - I'm sure they wouldn't be so good if it wasn't for the Evonail though, so thanks for that tip Suzy.

We're going to Crete on 1st October for 2 weeks so I'm not thinking about Christmas yet, though I see all the supermarkets have the tins of sweets in already! It's bad enough to think that the clocks change less than 2 weeks after we get back!

Take care all, bye for now.
Carol xx
Highlighted

happy monday everyone! it's great to read all the mail, and all the normal stuff we're talking about too. so very encouraging that we are getting back to our old selves only better because the disease is mostly (if not completeley?) kicked into touch. i really hope that we are all over the worst, and only the best is to come. i'm sitting here with the balcony doors wide open, and a fan on cos it's soooo hot still!!!!!! sorry girls, autumn in mijas has not yet arrived. we have a carob tree just outside our property which has shed it's load more or less, and a spaniard has been frantically collecting the pods. i know it's a chocolate substitute of some kind, but do any of you know exactly what to do with it to get it from pod to mug? (nipinuk, i'm sure you do!).

between now and next august, there are only 3 months left with no visitors!! the queue is very long!

did i say that a guy from our church is selling us his car for a very good deal, which will tide us over til we can get the right documents together to buy a new one. he has been very generous.

by the way, along with new hair growth which is about 1/4 inch, the facial hair seems rather long on the sides of my face! has anyone else noticed this on theirs? i really need to have a waxing!

take care all, and keep taking the pills!

love angela xx

Highlighted

Hi all, lots of messages to catch up with. It's great to hear how you're all doing.

Strange about being advised not to swim in chlorinated water for a year. Did a quick search and all I could find was concerns of skin reaction, for example if rads makes skin sore/split then best to avoid swimming.

Karen, I'm so sorry to hear you're so uncomfortable. Hubby sympathises with you as he's 3 weeks post rib cracking accident and is still in pain. Yours is worse as u had surgery.

I collected 4 bags of apples last Friday and it's wonderful! Had juice, apple crumble and made some apple and blackberry compote (fab with yoghurt on muesli) and jam today. I need jars!

Karen, the wax on apples is a tiny amount. I just wanted unwaxed ones because I'm trying to reduce chemicals n unnecessary stuff .

About hair, I've got about an inch growth n very dry scalp. I've been using coconut oil which I hope will help.

Daffodil download the Whatsapp application and I'll be able to add u to the group. Pm me if u need help x

Christine my ears are cold too! Don't like getting out of bed. We haven't put the heating on yet but will have to soon. Wish we had a wood burner like Suzy. Our heating bill was horrendous. Also, I still can't find my hot water bottle!

Suzy, I've had quite a few very late nights due to insomnia and the last few nights I've felt so tired and had a headache all day today. Roadshow takes pure melatonin which helps.

I must admit that I've been wanting to get organised too - have been making online Christmas and Chinese New Year cards, birthday cards for family n close friends. Also started putting away bits for pressies as the prices are ridiculous nearer Christmas.

If anyone is thinking of buying Christmas lights do lmk as hubby sells them 😉

Take care all and have a great week ahead!

Highlighted

Managed to duplicate a post!

Highlighted

Daffodil - glad your Rads are going well, hope it continues.

Karen - my ears are really feeling this change in weather!  I'm not yet going out hatless,  I was shocked to discover that I have the equivalent of Tony Robinson's hair circa 2002!

Haven't ventured into the pool again yet, though not having Rads it shouldn't be a problem.  I have signed up for a pilates course, so hope this will help get back to normal.  Is anyone else still having trouble with veins?  I find stretching my chemo arm awkward and slightly painful.

Nipinuk - I love the idea of freecycling fruit!  I will do the same for Quinces.  They are incredibly difficult to get hold of and are by far my favorite fruit.

Angela - My OH would travel the earth for a good cup of coffee!  We're nespresso fans here too.

Have a good weekend everyone, xx

Daffodil good to hear your rads are going well and its not too daunting.
Nipinuk I admire your resourcefulness regards the apples. I wasn't aware there is wax on apples. Can you please enlighten me the reason for avoiding this and what other fruits have wax on them? I eat lots of pears and you've got me wondering.
I'm trying to go wigless, hatless to let my scalp breathe but feeling the cold now.
Highlighted

Interesting that Angela has been told to avoid swimming for a year, I was told it was OK after 4 weeks post rads!! Who to believe eh?

It is really cold here now, so nice to hear that some of you are still benefitting from the sunshine and warmth.
Highlighted

Hi, 3 rads down just 15 to go, the worst bit is parking & waiting  for a machine as always at least an hour late. But this seems to be quite normal reading other posts so mustn't grumble! Everyone is always very friendly so nice to sit & chat. 

Karen-Good to hear you are upbeat despite being uncomfortable still & doing some retail therapy. My hair is growing ok too, I got trial size fast shampoo & conditioner but will get nioxin when I run out. My hair is really dark too, have been highlighting it for 30 years so its a shock also coming back really curly. I'm going to get a gentle colour put on it once rads are finished. 

Suzy-I'm going to try taking my tamoxifen tonight too as not sleeping either. Good luck!

Nipinuk-I have a smart phone but all the gear no idea I'm afraid.

Mungos mum-Glad you & your boys had a lovely time, very impressed you drove, I still have chemo brain!

Angela-Sounds wonderful,  enjoy the sun & sangria. Seems a bit extreme not swimming, I hadn't been told that either.

Have a good weekend everyone xxx

Highlighted

Gosh no swimming pools for a year! Are there any other dos/don'ts to be aware of? Suzy thanks for the reassurance. Well we've had a scorching summer, the nights are drawing in. I just treated myself to some hot pink cords from Boden to brighten up my Autumn wardrobe. We all deserve a treat. How's everyone's hair coming along? Mine came back with a vengeance 3 weeks ago, more black than grey thankfully. I'vd been having blonde highlights for such a long time that I wasn't sure what was my true colour. I'm using Nioxin hair products, which seem to be working a treat. I wonder if I'll be curly like my Mum. Have a good weekend all xx
Highlighted

how, disappointing! it will have to be the sea for you then Angela
Highlighted

advised not to swim in chlorinated pool for 1 year after rads 😞

Highlighted

Angela, why aren't you swimming too?!
Highlighted

hi karen, christine, suzy....and did i read some from others too? i can't remember!!!!!!!!!

thanks for greetings dear ones. we are one step nearer to buying a car...so much red tape and forms before you can buy anything big here! then we drove 35 miles just to buy OH's favourite coffee for his nespresso machine...he would never have done that in UK!!! mind you, the very first thing we had to buy on the second day here was the machine!!

he had a swim yesterday whilst i looked on enviously. ah well...next year. (just tried an emotion face, didn't work.not as good as the old site is it 😞  )

if any of you come to mijas or nearby, i hope you'll try to visit. we can have tapas in some great places! it was 31C here today.

thinking of you as you go through rads (christine or karen, sorry i know it was one of you)

be blessed

love

angela x

Highlighted

Christmas!

OMG Christine! I was just bemoaning the end of summer! You sound like an awesome organizer to me 😉 Although its true to say I like to get the present buying done by the end of November!

So Glad you had a good holiday, bit of a bummer re the vino and hot flashes, not found that problem but can't kick the insomnia. I read this morning that if your on anastrazole and take it at night it can stop the insomnia so as of tomorrow I'll give it ago. Hope your shoulder improves soon. The OH and I seem to take it in turns to pull muscles and beat ourselves up doing the 'project'.

Karen, its a long slow road your traveling right now, it does get better, promise but I can remember feeling almost embalmed at your stage of recovery. You sound very sunny though and that's is a great step in the right direction 😄 Although we have had a good summer I feel cheated as I stayed well out of harmful rays and had no energy to join in the usual summer events, I did manage the odd concert and opera alla vampire! So I feel like a summer holiday now too.

Not on the cards for us though, we will have to wait till next year. Sorry you live so far away from London and will miss our get together, maybe you will be over in France soon? That would be fun!

So its we are busy cutting wood for the wood burners, that's enough exercise for anyone, and stocking up for winter. The sweet chestnuts will be falling soon so there'll be no idle hands in our house. Better get on and feed the menagerie

TTFN

xx

Highlighted

Hi, bonjour and hola, what an international bunch we are now! Angela I'm delighted for you and your OH being able to realise your dream and move to sunny Spain. I have no doubt you'll settle in well and be surrounded by new friends. Mungoes Mum and Nipinuk I'm glad you enjoyed lovely holidays. My OH and I are in desperare need of some sunshine, dxcept that I'm supposed to keep out of the sun. For those meeting up, have a lovely time, wish I could join you cyber sisters! I'm making slow progress after my op, I can hardly walk as I'm experiencing extreme pain in my ribs, apparently, they broke a rib as part of my op. I've been told to rest myself, although if I slow down any more I'll get cob webs! I have my rads planning appmt next Friday. Onwards and upwards ladies
Karen xx
Highlighted

Hello all,

Janey - I'm sorry you have additional worries, and echo others in the hope that swollen glands are due to a viral infection, there are loads of them about (if my sneezing is anything to go by).  Thinking of you, big hugs. xx

Angela, I flew out of Alicante on Sunday night, (delayed three hours but that is another story) after 10 days in Cabo Roig, about one hour south of Alicante. Sadly OH couldn't join us, but we had a good time, me indulging the boys' desire for adrenaline after we found a go-karting site and another quad bike site. .... and lots of paella, seafood and the discovery that even one small glass of wine causes lots of hot flushes.  not sure it's worth it!  I'm glad you are settling in and having a good first week's "holiday".

I hope those having rads are coping OK, and those finished are gaining energy by the day.  I was delighted to discover yesterday that my eyelashes have come back, if still rather short.  Sadly exhibiting too much male pattern baldness to go hatless yet, but the soft baby hair is braving the change in weather!    The one problem I am having is continuing stiffness and pain in the shoulder, this bout caused by wrestling with my ancient gear box (when I'm not trying to change gear with the door handle - and I only drove LH drive for 10 days!!)  I didn't expect quite such a legacy from the surgery, and am wondering when I might be able to get climbing again.....

Well, now the boys are back at school, I can start thinking about preparing for Christmas!! (not something I thought I would have energy or inclination for back in January).  Love to all, xx

Highlighted

sadly I only have a stupid phone, so can't join up 😞 honeymonster will be o.c pic's I'm sure xx
Highlighted

You must ask Honeymonster to take lots of photos when you meet up! I'm on whatsapp with Honeymonster so she can send them to the rest of us (Cassowary, Choccy61, Mungos_Mum, Roadshow - anyone with a smartphone can get whatsapp. pm me and I'll add you)

I'll be collecting some free unwaxed apples tomorrow from a lovely lady who responded to my freecycle post. Can't wait! There are still lots of kind and generous souls around 🙂