cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spring into chemo in March

Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Spring into chemo in March

Hi Angela , I'm also a valentine onto my second round of FecT , you sound quite calm but I agree it's the unknown that's worries u the most , actually getting the chemo itself is not that scary , my advice is wear gloves if ur having a cannula as warm hands make it easier & the first week is the hardest but " do able "
I agree with Christine if u read Febs post u will pick up a few tips , best for me have been corsodyl alcohol free mouth wash , salt water as mouthwash & a soft toothbrush , plus fizzy drinks like ginger ale & lukozade but a lot will recommend senokot !! Everyone has different SE's. most of all i have found this site very helpful just for support , tips & not being alone on the rollercoaster , whether you post on Febs valentines or I'm sure a March one will start , they are a help even if u dont post a lot , good luck xx
poemsgalore

Hi Angela, I'm also one of the February Valentines. I'm on Fec T. Had my first Fec on 5th Feb, second one due on 28th. Thankfully I didn't have too many problems AND NO SICKNESS OR NAUSEA. Let's hope it stays that way. At the top of the 'Undergoing Treatment, Chemotherapy' threaads, there is a sticky thread which I would advise you to read, copy, print out, whatever, as it is full of hints and tips, including a recipe for Go Cake. Think you might get what that is for!! Good luck when you get a date, and for rads and hormones too.

Hugs, Poemsgalore xx
Lola65

Hi Angela,

I'm one of the February Valentines, but my chemo has been delayed due to additional surgery so I won't be starting until mid to late March. My oncology appointment is 5th March. I will pop in here as well as the February group.

I've decided not to have the cold cap. My own hair is baby fine, so not a very good base for starters. Even on cold cap ladies get a lot of thinning, and I really don't fancy putting myself through all that pain and discomfort, not to mention an extra couple of hours in the chemo unit every time. I have already bought a wig that I am happy with for every day use, and a bit nearer the time I will buy another one to wear as best, plus some hats.

I am being treated at the East Lancs NHS Trust for everything apart from radiotherapy, which will be at Preston. I was initially diagnosed December 2012. Grade 3 invasive ductal with some high grade DCIS, lump was 15mm. no evidence of vascular invasion and no lymph node involvement, HER2 positive, hormone negative. WLE and SNB in January, second excision February to get larger margins on the DCIS - not got the results of this yet. Will be having chemo, herceptin, and rads.

Best wishes to everyone xxx
Mungos_mum

Hi Angela,
I have been hedging posting as I have not had confirmation yet that I will be having chemo, yet to see the onc to discuss future treatment. However, if I am I suspect I will be starting in March!
I have been following the February Valentines thread which has useful information in the first few pages. They also explain how they are coping with the chemo, and what sort of SEs they are experiencing. Forewarned is forarmed!! I have found this helpful in coping with the idea of such treatment.
I will pop back in if/when I get confirmation of my own treatmen plan.
Best wishes,
Christine
AngelaG

Thank you Lucy BCC. I will check this out.
Lucy_BCC

Hi Angela and welcome to the BCC forums

I am sure your fellow users will be along soon with hints and tips for coping with chemo and there is a thread running which you may also find useful to take a look at, here's the link:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/community/forums/top-tips-help-get-you-through-chemotherapy?page=18#comment-2077441

Please feel free to call our helpliners for further support ideas, information and a listening ear on 0808 800 6000, lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturdays

Take care

Lucy

AngelaG

Spring into chemo in March

Hi, I am due to start chemo in 1st week of March. Does anyone have any advice on how to prepare?
I am having FEC and I think cold cap too. I am peaceful about it but expect I'll be nervous as the day approaches. It's the unknown isn't it? I have been almost totally "un-worried" if that is possible, with one wobble when my cancer was upgraded from 2 to 3 (double originally thought size, and 2 types of cancer present. However I understand that all the cancer was removed with clear edges, and clear lymph nodes, so I am very thankful for that. The chemo and radiotherapy and hormone treatments to follow are, I understand, a precautionary measure.