Spring is round the corner - 2020 Challenge!!!!

Hi girls

The nights are getting lighter and the mornings.

The birds are singing.

Even though I am feeling a bit ‘wild’ from the chemo (I can’t bear to say tired) I feel that things are on the up.

TWO more chemo’s to go and trying to do something every day on my good days weeks in between. Trips to the ‘Chocolate Factory’ for lunch and selcting my own favourite centre chocolates - cinema yesterday for an ogle at George Clooney - out tonight for an Italian, tomorrow for a Chinese and an Indian on Sunday - pefect build up to chemo on Monday AND I am going to have a gin and tonic and some wine!!!

I should know this week about whether or not I can get the use of a large marquee to hold my charity paty in the Summer - raising funds for my local Hospice. I can’t wait to get it organised, that will keep me out of mischief AND

I haven’t told my husband yet but I am going to get a dog! Yes, I have decided that is what I need at the end of my chemo, as well as the new car, holiday and new wardrobe…maybe… But defintiely the dog! Does anyone know any breeders of Bearded Collies, preferably the working ones?

Off to try and glam myself up!! Have a great weekend everyone I will raise my glass to you all.

Love Sue xx

I don’t want to be facetious but I saw some research results yesterday on German teletext that said dark chocolate and red wine can work against cancer! So fill your boots with the chocolate (obviously the wine only works within reason!)

Hi Sue

On the dog thing - we’re looking after my friend’s Cockerpoo (cocker spaniel/poodle cross)for the weekend. She’s gorgeous and so lovely to have around. Oh how I want a dog of my own! It’s a brilliant idea - they are such a diversion and a tonic and so lovable.

Have a great fun weekend

River x

PS your fundraising sounds impressive - good luck with the summer party

Hi River

I have seen a Labradoodle (Labrador & Poodle Cross) that was gorgeous and a Cockerpoo sounds wonderful especially as our best friends keep hens and they have a Cockerel called Shubert! He is massive!! They have a Bearded collie who is getting on a bit and so they will have a share of the one we get, you know, when we go on holiday and stuff. I will look out for cross breeds, they are often more fun than full pedigree dogs.

Sue x

Hey Charlie

Thanks for the endorsement re the chocs. The shop I get them from is in a tiny village in the middle of the Lake District here in Cumbria. They have a website and you can fill your own box of chocs on line - Kennedys in Orton - truly divine chocs.

I ate quite a few last night as all the partying I had planned hasn’t made up for missing my family dreadfully. They have gone to the Alps for the half term break and are skiing as I type - I should be there too but chemo for me tomorrow. I very bravely sent them off…the hardest thing of all about this disease is coming to terms with the fact that they will be doing lots of things in the future without me…I am so sad at times it hurts!

Off for a walk up the fell now to get rid of these maudlin thoughts!

Sue xx

Bearded collies are great dogs - but do be prepared for LOTS of grooming. One of mine is a wheaten terrier - often mistaken for a beardie - with similar grooming issues. It is quite big commitment. Good luck though - I would be lost without my dogs. Have kicked my husband into the spare room for much of chemo, as don’t sleep well - and have the dogs on the bed instead instead.

Susie - me too about he skiing - mine left this morning - it is heartbreaking. But that’s why you need a dog!

Defo, a cockerpoo, I picked up my puppy yesterday, he is a delight and cant imagine life without him already, he is chocolate brown and is called Ozzy and is 8 weeks old

my treatment is all finnished and its so lovely having something to look forward to again and the great seeing my boys excited again

he should also help me lose some weight that I put on with all the walking ill be doing with him

Carol xx

Hi Carol & Finty

Don’t you think he should be called a Cockerdoodle! He sounds great and good luck with the walking. I have just been for a walk up to a friends house, we were going to do a proper walk but it started to rain so just did coffee instead. If I had a dog I would have gone and had the proper walk!

Just looked in the paper and Animal Concern have a Bearded collie X that needs a new home hmmmmmm wonder what the hubby would say if there was someone else moved in with me whilst he was away skiing!!!

Might have to make a phone call!!!

Sue xx

Hi Sue

Have just come back from walking my 2 elderly dogs along the beach. No fells here! My 2 are a springer spaniel and a retriever, and their company is wonderful, there isn’t a day when they don’t make me laugh. Just what I need. We were in the lakes in october with the dogs. Wonderful but the fells were a bit too much for me and Daisy, the retriever, so we stuck to low level walks this time!

Jackie

Hi all

Update on our weekend with Kira, the Cockerpoo. She is just sooooooo gorgeous. She turns heads in the park. I never though my hubs would tolerate a dog on the furniture but even he can’t resist a cuddle with her! Only downside is she loves muddy puddles and it takes so long for her feet to dry off… She needs a lot of grooming - the fur gets very matted. But if you stay on top of it, it’s not a problem.

It’s been lovely talking to people as we walk around - a dog is a passport to friendly chat, esp here in London. We met 2 mini Shnauzers (sp?) on our circuit - they’re gorgeous too.

Carol - I’m really envious!

River x (and Kira, sitting right by me!)

Hi River,

We seriously thought about getting a Labradoodle recently (our last dog looked just like one but was far more Heinz 57). Instead we have ended up with a Springer spaniel pup (called Bonnie, because she is…). She has just finished her jabs and so this weekend we have taken her out for the first time. It is great to have a dog to walk again. I am so glad she is able to go out now as both she and I were suffering cabin fever and now we have an outside chance of wearing her out a bit, life - and the house - can get back to something like normal.

Jennyx

Hi Jenny

Bonnie will be lovely. Think of all the fun and training and curling up on the sofa - will you let her up?

We live in a 1st floor apartment and I’m aware of Kira feeling a bit cabin feverish this weekend. She’s used to having a black lab for older brother company, and having a big garden to chase squirrels and wonder where the foxes went.

Having her has proved to me that we can’t have a dog of our own here. We are out a lot - I work part time - and I’d want a back door and garden.

But I’ll dog sit any time!!
River x

Oh I want a dog now!!! Jenny, so happy to hear about Bonnie – know how much you’ll have missed Mr DB.
Marilyn x

I am trying to resist the temptation to ring up and go and meet ‘Barney’ at the Animal Rescue place. My hubby would have a fit if he came back from holiday and I had adopted a dog! I am really going to have to wait.

It’s so hard as I have just got back from a long wait at hospital today only to be told that I couldn’t have my chemo as my bloods are too low, red & white! So, I am having another week to recover.

I have made a big pan of veg soup and am having steak, broccoli and a can of Makeson for my dinner!!! Do you think that might help!

My hubby and kids have had a wonderful day skiing in brilliant sunshine in the Alps and it has been grey, foggy and wet here all day!!! So much for Spring!!!

Do chocolates help to increase blood cells???

Sue xx

I WANT A DOG!!!

Sue xx

can I just say that I have 2 dogs and yes I love them to bits and would not be with out them but they are a tie. when you are tired and in pain and all you want to do is go to bed and sleep, they look at you with their big eyes begging you to take them out

but i love them
mel

Ah Mel, for me that is the best bit - having to go out when you definately don’t feel like it. My dog a spollie - spaniel x collie -saved me after the chemo, because I know I wouldn’t have forced myself out if I didn’t have to, and you do talk to people about trivial things, which is really good especially when you don’t want to talk about cancer. ~They’ve got the ski-ing holiday Susie, you go get the dog - it’s only fair.

My daughter wants a pug…any advice or thoughts ?

Honestly…? I wouldn’t have a pug. I feel sorry for them. The one I know is so noisy with his breathing… and I don’t think it’s fair.
Hope I’m not offending anyone…
We are really missing our weekend lodger - my friend says Kira is attention seeking all the time hmmmmmmm - I wonder why?! LOL! She was completely spoilt here!