74.2K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stabilization surgery on bone met - 2 and 1/2 years on removal of stabilization

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Stabilization surgery on bone met - 2 and 1/2 years on removal of stabilization

Hi Carolyn

Thanks very much for your reply. I just wondered if there was anyone else out there that had a similar experience with having the stabilisation removed.
Thanks again for your reply X X

Re: Stabilization surgery on bone met - 2 and 1/2 years on removal of stabilization

Hiya Hinckley
Welcome to the family of support and kindness. I do not have any experience of your type of surgery but when I was dx with bone Mets last October ..my hip and femur were at a dangerous state of weakness and I had a nail put in the femur to stabilise the hip etc.
I too am waiting for my first scan results to c how things are going. I have had five denosumab injections and hope they r are also helping .
All you can do is trust your oncologist to make the best decision for your well being and I do sympathize as you have young children that need lifting etc and it must b very painful for you.
Anyway ..I'm as much help as a chocolate teApot really but hugs xxxx

Stabilization surgery on bone met - 2 and 1/2 years on removal of stabilization

Hi Ladies,

I dont visit the forum very often but I just wanted to share my experience and see if there is anyone else out there that has had a similar experience.

I was diagnosed with sec bone mets in my spine in Dec 2013 (after a primary diagnosis in Oct 2011 - full treatment  chemo, surg, radio , on tamox. Aged 35 with a 6 mth baby and a 3 year old). My back was in such a bad state that they had to do a  stabalization surgery (putting in rods and screws to support the vertebra that was had been attacked by the cancer pretty bad!). I was then put on various hormonal treatments, given radio to my back and given denosamab injections to stretchen my bones. Anyway over the last couple of years I have managed to snap two of the screws in the stabilization and this eventually started to cause a lot of pain. I went back to see my surgeon and he said that as the drugs had managed to promote some 'healing'on the dodgy veterbrae and also that the radio therapy had had a good impact that we had an option to remove the rods and screws and not replace them. Leaving me without the support that I needed 2 and 1/2 years ago.

I think that this situation is quite 'unusual' and I just wondered if there is anyone else out there that has had simialr experience.

Im doing OK as this removal surgery was only done last week so still pretty sore - fingers crossed for a much less painful out come.

Lots of love to all you secondary ladies

Hinchy xx