1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stage 4 and living in rented accommodation

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Stage 4 and living in rented accommodation

Just for info, my friend has about 60 houses and half are on housing benefit so it's not a requirement of all mortgages

Xx

So sorry to hear of your predicament & it's not a moan.  As a landlord myself (1 house only) we are not allowed DSS as it is a condition of the mortgage/insurance, goodness knows why but we're not allowed so don't think it is landlords being snobby.  As suggested go down the sheltered housing route via housing associations.  See this link on your rights https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/11894/138304.pdf

I'll send you a private message too.

I hope you can find just the right place for you Tournesol. Grumpy's post sounds very encouraging. x

This may be helpful - I own my house, but I can still put my name on the list for sheltered housing flats. My GP would do a medical assessment, ditto social services, then I would get a flat quite quickly. It would not have to be a terminal scenario, more a sort of she cannot manage a house any longer. So I feel there is a safety net should the BC come back and make me rather frail.

Have you tried citizens advice bureau? They often know lots of local info, housing associations etc.

I do hope you get things sorted soon.

Grumpy

Hi Tournesol
Do you have a tenacy agreement, when does it run out. I think to get at tenant out under even under section 21, he has to take you to court. It's better to get evicted, then you can go to the council for emergency housing. Can your doctor write a letter for you to take go the council.
Ask for him to put everything in writing or email so you have a paper trial.

Sue x

Thanks Jo. I have spoken to the BCC helpline about this a couple of times, but as they don't deal with housing as such, they could only really point me towards Shelter and the council, who also can't really help with my current situation. I have also seen a housing adviser via Macmillan at my local hospital, they also couldn't really do anything to help, just said that the housing market is really difficult and it was important to move while I still have a job as it would be very difficult or impossible later on. I think they were more geared up to telling people what benefits they can get, but confirmed that I'm not currently entitled to any as I'm still able to work and don't have any physical support needs.

Tournesol

Hi Tournesol

I'm sorry to hear you find yourself in this situation.  You say you have called some helplines, have you contacted BCC's helpline (0808 800 6000) or Macmillan helpline(0808 808 0000) they may be able to help you.  I hope some of your fellow forum users have some ideas also to help.

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Stage 4 and living in rented accommodation

I am living in private rented accommodation and am finding things quite difficult at the moment. My landlord has given me notice to quit (he is selling) and I'm struggling to find somewhere new to live. He is pretty angry with me as I have recently asked him for written notice as per the law, and I am worried now about dealing with him in the last part of my tenancy. He was OK previously. Part of the problem is an affordability issue as prices have gone up by a huge amount since I last looked a few years ago. There is hardly anything coming on to the market in my price range. I don't feel I can move back into a house share because of my illness and age. Part of it is that I have been advised to only look at ground floor places because of the likelihood of reduced mobility in the future (I currently have progression in my spine and am waiting for a second opinion, so this feels like a very real possibility) and this reduces my choice by more than 50%. I am also really nervous about living in a ground floor flat because of my perception of their security issues. The other part is that I still need to live in an area which would be a feasible and affordable commute to my places of work. And so many places will not even consider people on benefits and I know that's a 'when' not an 'if' for me in the future unless I die relatively quickly. So I don't know whether whatever place I find will chuck me out when I have to give up work. And I can't tell them my situation or they would not rent to me in the first place. If I only go for places that say 'DSS accepted' that cuts out over 90% of properties and given my other restrictions that doesn't seem like a good idea. I would also very much like to be in an area which would allow me to go back and see a very good clinical psychologist who has helped me in the past and who I am hoping will be able to help me in the future when things get worse physically. I'm also concerned about having to move GP as my GP currently pays for one of my treatments which my hospital would not pay for. Most of the less expensive places seem to be outside the (quite large) area which would potentially allow me to see the psychologist again, or in an area which I've been told is unsafe, and the place where they are is also a harder commute to work. I don't have anyone that I feel I can ask if I can go and stay with temporarily, especially as there's no saying how long it will take to find somewhere suitable. My nearest family is an hour and a half away.

I've tried speaking to several helplines and the council but nobody can offer me any help now apart from telling me my legal right to proper notice, and nobody can say now whether I will be able to get any housing help in the future as I don't need it yet, or whether I would be able to get any adaptations done if I were to go for a non ground floor place. So I have to work on the assumption that the place I find may well be the place I live in for the rest of my life, and so I don't want to go into somewhere completely awful. At the same time if my next recommended treatment is something with more side effects, I really need to move as soon as possible, even though that will now involve me losing a lot of rent money as I will now have to pay for January.

I know that there are no easy answers out there, and also that I am very lucky to still be feeling reasonably well physically, so apologies for the long moan, but I was just wondering if anyone has dealt with anything similar and if so how you managed.

Best wishes,

Tournesol