cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stamina after herceptin????

781 REPLIES 781
Mazzalou

Re: Stamina after herceptin????

Lovely to hear from you, Kim, and good to hear that it is all systems go with your reconstruction. You'll be fine so stop worrying - if you can beat BC then you can take on the world, let alone this op.
Keep smiling and the sun will shine for you!
With lots love
MAzzalou xxx

kimmie

Sitting in the garden so thought I'd pop on to say hi. I hope it's nice and sunny where you are too.

Well op choice is now the tummy option. Scared stiff but appt it's the best option long term for me. I'm on the waiting list so I'm thinking it will be a few months away. I can't wait to get my cleavage back 🙂

I hope all you ladies are well

Lots of love
Kim xx

Mazzalou

we'll be thinking of you on Thursday and, hopefully, you won't have to wait too long and then, before you know it you'll be up and about once more.
Lots of love and hugs
Mazzalou xxx

kimmie

Thank you 🙂

Im so glad everything is good with you 🙂
Your so lovely and deserve nothing more xxx

Im seeing the surgeon on Thursday so will let you know what happens

Lots of love xxx

Mazzalou

Good to hear that life is looking good for you Kim on all fronts so fingers crossed for you new fella, and, of course, you op. I'm sure the job will be worth waiting for so keep applying as you wouldn't really want to miss the ideal job if it came up before your op. Besides, if the employer is worth working for they will accept your circumstances if you need to take time off for your op altho I can understand your logic that it might be worth waiting until you are well on the road to recovery after your op.
Don't even worry about the implant rejecting due to rads - this is a risk with any form of reconstruction - with or without rads, and I am sure your rads were done long enough ago for them to have no effect by now.
I'm fine and have just had my 2nd mammogram and my breast surgeon doesn't want to see me anymore so that's it other than the annual mammogram until I hit the 5 year mark so life is looking good for me too - although I do envy your 8 and 1/2 stone!!!
Keep in touch and let us know when you op is so that we can send you lots of hugs
Mazzalou xxx

kimmie

Hi Mazzalou

Well I think I have. I have never really wanted the tummy op its a big op and longer recovery and to be honest at 8 and a half stone I havent got a lot of body fat on my tummy. He said he could make a b-c cup. That would then mean id need a further op on my good side to reduce the size.
The back op is my preffered choice but again with not having back fat id need an implant. Downside to this op is the implant rejecting due to the radiotherapy. Ive spoken to 3 women whove had it done and they have all been ok. So think im going to opt for this.

As for me smiling once more Id say yes. Im a lot better than I was. Still on friendly terms with my ex which is nice.
Ive started dating someone who I like so we will see how it goes. Obviously im very concious about my chest but he knows and hasnt ran a mile yet so I suppose thats a good sign.

Still not working. Applying for anything now but no luck as yet. At the same time if im to have my op in a few months maybe its better to wait.

Im still living at my friends and probably will be till after my op.

Phew ive wrote an essay lol

How are you?

Kim xxx

Mazzalou

Hello again Kimmie
Have you reached a decision after your walk in the sunshine? I opted for immediate reconstruction as it was the right choice for me at the time. If I had to choose I think that I would opt for the tummy, but make sure that you research both before you make up you mind as I definitely didn't realise that the tummy option is quite a major op with quite a long post-op recovery time.
Do your homework thoroughly and ask if you can speak to women who have gone for either of your 2 choices and try and get to see what the after-effects look like and then make up your mind.
No surgeon will make the decision for you, and if you're honest, you really wouldn't want them to either, even though it would seem to make life easier at the mo.
Other than having to make up your mind on this one, Kim, how are you? Can you smile once more?
Love to you and the rest of the 'nose-drippers'!
Mazzalou xxx

kimmie

Hi Slammer

That post made me giggle:)

Glad everyone is ok 🙂

Im seeing my surgeon nxt wk and cant decide what op to have, I wish he would just make the decision for me. Tummy or back?

Off for a walk in the sunshine to do some more thinking

Lots of love
xxxx

slamer

Too right Mazzalou

Mazzalou

Now that really is a 'senior moment' Slamer!

slamer

Hi girls,

just noticed, I was responding to Kimmie's message from a year ago, oops!

slamer

Hi Kimmie,
'Slamer' here in sunny Spain, I still pop into the forums from time to time & noticed your concern over how long to getting back to 'normal' after herceptin. My last herceptin was in September & I've noticed my energy is almost back to normal, my appetite most certainly is (I could hardly finish a small plate of food). The annoying thing at the moment & I think someone else has mentioned it, is very achey bones, especially when first up & after excercise, likewise I think its to do with Letrozole. Just had a 'clear' mammo & ultrasound back down for consultation with onc & a blood test Wednesday. I had a lot of running around to do over Xmas in the UK for 3 weeks & I know that this time last year I couldn't have done it. Well done, it will get easier & its brill not having the 'every three week' visit to hospital. Hugs to all

Mazzalou

Thanks Truddles.
Seeing my fantastic surgeon tomorrow for follow-up clinic

trudy2010

Great results, so pleased for you!

Mazzalou

Results from mammogram are all clear, and tomorrow Thursday 18th April is the 2nd anniversary of my bc op - how time flies when you are having fun!!!
Hope that you are all having fun too, especially you Kim?
xxx

Mazzalou

Welcome back Kim - we've missed you, but glad to have you back even if you are foot-loose and fancy-free!
xxx
ps d'ya think that they will let me keep my vest on for my mammogram?

kimmie

Hi
Samantha - it sounds like an infection to me. I hope you feel better soon 🙂

Mazzalou - my hair is thicker apparently. Everywhere else is the same too although my eyelashes arent the same. I hope your mammogram goes well. As for the weather dont get me started, im sick of it now 😞
Im okish, plodding on. Single, jobless but hey im here 🙂
Mandy your finger nails will improve x

Take Care ladies xx

mangochutney

Sorry Maralyn, my hair is as thick as it ever was!! Everybody keeps commenting on how thick it is! But me and my hairdresser both feel it is no thicker than before. I don't think it would be possible!!
Other body hair, however, is still not as it was, pre BC. Lashes are slightly better. I've been putting Vaseline on them every night. Eyebrows have a few sparse patches, which get pencilled in. Hair on legs and bikini line is much slower to grow back after waxing. Which is a bonus!!
My nails are still a bit rubbish, however. Especially my thumbs and index fingers. They split vertically, which is really annoying.

Good luck with your mammogram on 26th. Let us know how it goes.
Hope everyone else is ok.
lots of love
Mandy xxxx

Mazzalou

Just wondered if anybody else thinks that their hair is now thinner than before losing it to chemo? I had my last chemo in Sept 2011 and last herceptin in Sept 2012 and wondered how long before your head-hair assumes its pre-chemo state - if it ever will!
What's your verdict ladies?
How are you doing Kim?
2nd post chemo mammogram booked for Tuesday 26th of March - if I can bear to remove my clothes given the weather outside!!! Wish this blasted cold weather would go away as enough is enough!!!

trudy2010

Happy birthday Mazzalou! Hope you Had a great day!
Mandy, congrats too on your good results!
Samantha, sorry youve had trouble with your port, i never had one , but it certainly seems like youve got an infection, hence the presence of the clots in the first place. I dont know the average durability limits of these ports, do they only last a certain time? As Mazzalou says, you are amazing for having treatments all these years where we all just about coped with the 12 months of herceptin. It must be so draining at times, but as you say, keep positive and praying for the miracle of herceptin to continue its kick-ass on this cancer. Hope you feel much better soon, God bless .
xx

Mazzalou

Poor you Samantha - and there's the rest of us only having to put up with 18 doses of herceptin and the associated dripping nose. Hopefully, by now you are feeling a lot better than when you sent your post so do let us know how you are.
Fancy being diagnosed on my birthday of March 7th Mandy and congratulations on your 'very satisfactory' results. I found my 'lump' on March 11th 2011 so I am just behind you my dear with my diagnosis confirmed a couple of weeks later. My next mammogram is due some time in April before I see my surgeon again in May.
Like Mandy I too had a portacath which never gave me any problems and I waved good-bye to it last October. Hopefully this is just a little hic-cup Samantha and you will soon be doing cartwheels around the room once more!!!
Sending you big hugs
Mazzalou xxx

mangochutney

Samantha,
it definitely sounds like either a dislodged clot, Orr an infection. Hopefully, they can give you antibiotics and get it sorted for you.
i had a port in for all my 18 Herceptins, and had it removed last September. It was the best thing ever! And fortunately I never had any trouble with mine.
good luck and let us know how you get on.

I just wanted to let my buddies on this thread know, that today, March 7th, 2 years to the day that I was diagnosed, I've just received my mammogram results.
"Very satisfactory"!!!
Yippee!!!!

Mandy xxxxx

June_BCC

posted on behalf of new user Samantha

Hi ladies. I was trawling the internet, searching for more information regarding the long term effects of ongoing Herceptin treatment. I was diagnosed with HER2 BC in 2005 @ age of 29. I have subsequently completed 102 Herceptin treatments. Yesterday was my 103. I have been extremely fortunate in that I have suffered really limited side effects. A bit of tiredness on the day, however, in some cases nothing with me going out to a party on that night. There does not seem to be any specific cause of the difference in tolerance.
Strange thing is yesterday my port was blocked (for the first time) and they had to flush it 3 times with Heparin. I saw the small clots in the blood and my nurse said she would try three times before sending me for a scan. On the third needle insertion and flush, it seemed to clear (which I was over the moon about!).
But when I got home I felt like death. I have bad lymphoedema in my right arm and have not been able to have reconstructive surgery due to all of the radiation I received (I was re diagnosed in 2008). There is a huge red rash on my arm and accross my chest and my skin is burning like I had chemo. My muscles are all in excrutiating pain and I have a burning fever.
The doctor thinks it could be a dislodged clot from the flushing of the port or some kind of infection so I am on my way there now. Hopefully its nothing serious. After undergoing all of the treatment and scans etc in the last 8 years I am tired of this now! But still really positive. I am blessed to be here and will continue to feel that way. A miracle I believe.
Anyway, just needed to vent a bit to some ladies who most definately understand Smile
S.

trudy2010

Oh Aunty Mazzalou, I do do mean it!
I got what I wanted, before I'd even sat down I noticed the "already -completed-paperwork" to order my next appointment for 6 months time and its just arrived for early September! . "Call us anytime if you need us" they said.
I'm not completely free yet, Ive still got another month left for my exercise trial (which has taken a beating in this cold bitter weather) and hence an appointment in a few weeks with the physio. 🙂

Mazzalou

Now, now Truddles - you know that you don't really mean it. In some ways I know what you mean but I would much rather have them keeping an eye on me than be dismissed as a neurotic woman.
Hope all went well and that you get a 6 month break!

trudy2010

Yes-echo cyber hugs for Kimmie (())
This afternoon I've got an oncology appointment-I just can't be bothered anymore, i wish they'd leave me alone, lol! I've moved on from avidly wanting these checkups to wanting nothing else to do with them!! Hopefully they'll tell me to clear off for 6 months!!!

Good luck to you girls reaching your milestone anniversaries!
Truddles xx

Mazzalou

Keep us posted Mandy - I'm sure that all will be well. It will be 2 years since I found my 'Lump' on March 11th with diagnosis a couple of weeks later so not long behind you - My next check up with my surgeon is in May so my next mammogram should be scheduled for April time.
Poor you, Kim - sending you a cyber-hug so hope it helps
xxx

kimmie

Hi ladies

Not doing so good mazzalou but I will get there x

Im sure all be ok Mandy xxx

How is everyone? Xxx

mangochutney

Just back from my 2 year check up and mammogram. Got to wait upto 3 weeks now for the results. Fingers crossed.
Cant believe.......2 years!!
Hope everyone's ok?
Love Mandy xxxx

Mazzalou

Long time no hear from you Kim - how are you?

Mazzalou

Of course you will find your Prince as there is someone out there for everybody - you just have to be patient until you find him and he will be worth waiting for
Sending you big hugs
xxx

kimmie

Awww he is gorgeous 🙂

Colds still lingering. Stephens daughter wanted to see me today but i dont feel ready yet, I dont want to see her and be a blubbering wreck.

I hope so mazzalou all I want is to be happy xxx

Mazzalou

Yes, Kim being an Grandma is amazing and such fun!
Check out this link and enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i02aKEcPmLg
Max is now 8 weeks old and has his very own personal trainer!
Hope that your cold is getting better and that life in general is getting better too. Remember that hearts were meant to be broken, I'm afraid, but they do heal with time and one day your Prince will come!
Take care
Mazzalou xxx

kimmie

Thank you.
How are you? Is it amazing being a grandma?
xxx

Mazzalou

Poor you, Kim - you really are in the wars. Sending you lots of tlc and hope that you feel better very soon
xxx

kimmie

Thanks Mazzalou. Ive now got cold and feeling very sorry for myself ha ha
Hope your ok xxx

Mazzalou

Keep in touch, Kim as a trouble shared is a trouble halved. We can't take away the pain, but we can share it with you.
Sending you lots of hugs
Mazzalou xxx

kimmie

Thank you.
I think its final mazzalou. Its just so sad.
Im staying with a friend for now and he came over to help fix the tv ariels and freeview today, I shut the door and broke my heart. I think we are just telling ourselves its the right thing to do.
His daughter wants to stay in touch which is nice and I dont mind she is 15 and going through her exams so dont want her to upset and spoiling things as she is doing well at present.
Its just all a bit surreal it happened so fast.
Anyway.....hope your all ok
Lots of love
Kim xxx

trudy2010

Oh Kimmie, sorry to hear your news. Big hugs

Mazzalou

Oh, poor you, Kim - sounds as if you are really having a hard time of things lately - no wonder you feel so sad and scared. Of course that doesn't sound stupid - in fact, perfectly natural to think the way you do, methinks. 9 years is a long time to be together, especially given everything else that you have had to put up with along the way - breast cancer included.
Is it a final split or is there any hope that things can be resolved, given that you have gone through so much together?
Maybe things will work out for the better - whether you are in a relationship, or by yourself - it is just a case of being strong now, which I know you can be Kim, given all the crap that life has slung at you so far. If you can beat breast cancer you can overcome this - whichever way life takes you.
In the meantime, remember we are all here to support you. We have laughed together along the way, so if you now feel like crying we will help to mop up your tears too.
Keep us posted as we all worry about you and love you
Mazzalou xxx

kimmie

Hi ladies. Hope your all well.
Having a bit of a rough time at present, split up from my boyfriend of 9 yrs and noved out yesterday. I feel so sad and im scared incase im ill again and im on my own, does that sound stupid?

mangochutney

Very wise words Mazzalou. As always!
Youre right. That's exactly what they are, battle scars.
Mandy xx

Mazzalou

Well then, Truddles, now is the time to break the habit of a lifetime and have your 1st cocktail - enjoy!
xxx

trudy2010

Raise a cocktail glass to us all ! With a cherry on top but hopefully less of the umbrellas!
I will let you into a secret-----( I have NEVER had a cocktail)

Mazzalou

Well, I hope that you are going to celebrate with a better cocktail than the cocktail of drugs that they gave you for chemo, Truddles. Make sure this one has an umbrella and a cherry on the top a la Del Boy! Another milestone reached.
As for going back to work, my GP has signed me off for another 3 weeks so at least I don't have to get to work in this horrendous weather. Let's hope that we get a half-decent summer to make up for this.
As for our battle scars, I can remember telling my husband when he found out that he had to have a quadruple bypass that he should wear his scar with pride. The same goes for us - we may not have any medals but we sure have fought with great courage the toughest battle of our lives - and won!
xxx

trudy2010

Mazzalou, keep resting and healing, dont rush back to work!
Mandy,im glad you feel a bit more relieved about the scar tissue and the tenderness. Im sorry to hear you cant look at the area or touch it, but hopefully this fear will lessen; arent we all so different? I have no choice in seeing my scar, because its right at the top of my left breast, and its a huge dimple. But, I see it as something positive, the surgeon may have removed more tissue than needed, but the scar tells me the cancer is gone! I know you are a nurse, and me too, I have to see patients having amputations of legs etc. Your words have made me realise a bit more what these patients have to cope with by adjusting to their altered bodies--what a shock they must go through psychologically.

Well, today, 17th january, is the date i started chemotherapy in 2011. 2 years ago already!

mangochutney

Hi girls.
Truddles, well done you on getting the all clear! And breath!! Very interesting what you say about tenderness in your breast. My lump was on the inside of my right breast. Near my breastbone, if you know what I mean. I've also found, when people hug me, which they often do!, it is so tender over the scar. I've bought some Ibuleve gel, on the doctors recommendation, but for some bizarre reason, can't bring myself to put it on as it means touching and focusing on the site of the original lump. I've never touched it since the day I found out my diagnosis! Crackers I know, but I just avoid it at all costs. Too many bad memories. So I just put up with it. But I must admit, in March, I will be 2 years down the line from diagnosis and I do get a bit worried sometimes about this ongoing tenderness. I used to sleep on my front, but just couldn't imagine it anymore. So I feel reassured by your post.

Mazzalou, my lovely son bought me the Olympic DVD for Christmas, and like you, I'm LOVING reliving it all again!! Even though I know the outcomes of most of the events, I'm still crying and cheering and shouting at the tv!! It's such a fantastic DVD!! Glad your surgery went well. Enjoy putting your feet up and taking it easy.

Kim, keep us posted on your surgical review next month.

Hope everyone is ok and coping with the bitter cold. Not looking forward to getting up at 6 am and scraping my car in the morning!! Looking forward to the spring!!

Take care
Mandy xxx

Mazzalou

Congrats on the all-clear Truddles and I can also sympathise with having no TV - ours obviously came out in sympathy with me and needed to go to the TV hospital! It is back now so we are developing square eyes whilst we relive the Olympics on DVD
Glad I am off work at the mo asnd not having to get to work as Norfolk has been particularly badly hit this time. My daughter's were due to fly to Tenerife from Norwich Airport on Monday evening at 6pm but spent the night in a hotel in Norwich instead (they only live at Costessey in Norwich too!) and their flight was due to leave Stansted last night (Tuesday) at 11pm! I think that they finally arrived about 6am this morning!!!!
Saw my surgeon yesterday a week after my new implant went in and she is very pleased - but still no driving, lifting or hoovering still and no work for at least a couple more weeks - shame . Nothing better to do than knit for grandson and get back to the tv and hide under the blankets.
Love to you all
xxx

trudy2010

Hello to all. Ive been coming on here almost daily but not been posting. We've just had our tv and internet reconnected after 4 days off!! Luckily i was out for 3 of those days so it wasnt too bad, and OH fished out lots of dvds we havent watched in ages so he was kept happy too 🙂
I mean, we could have had brilliant family time and played monopoly or scrabble, i played constant games like this when i was a girl, but we just NEED electronics now to keep the boredom away!!!!

I had my annual mammogram and ultrasound scan yesterday, a doctor did the scan and showed me my mammo pictures too, and hence i got the results straight away that everything looks great with no change from last year!
The doctor also answered a question for me, without me asking it! My boob is still so so tender when pressed, obviously the doc realised this doing the scan, I actually told her the pressure made me feel sick. She rolled up her sleeve and showed me a scar on her arm, and agreed that if her scar is knocked, it makes her feel physically sick too, then she told me the reason was that we've lost the fatty protective layer which cushions our bodies in that area and the nerves are more exposed, if you see what i mean.

Love to all, Truddles

kimmie

Hi ladies

Hope your ok mazzalou.
Well theres a light dusting of snow here today. I have to say i love it even though it can be a nusiance.
Still no work. Ive got an appt to see the plastic surgeon next month so going to just wait to see how long my surgery will be etc
I hope your all well. Take Care if you have bad weather.

Lots of love
Kim x