67.8K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standing outside the dark, dark woods.

Ali_H

Re: Standing outside the dark, dark woods.

Ummm..... Bit of a wuss with camping in the winter, I don't like cold, or wet, or dark really.....wondering if theres a four star luxury spa hotel instead????
Kittyqueen

Morning...
Oooh Supertrouper if you look to the left of your gorgeous tent, just by the tree trunk I swear I can see a fairy or it might be Goyle, my friendly druid passing by...cam anyone else see it or have I contracted definatelygonemadthistime?
Ugh, work today then zapping at lunchtime...skive this afternoon :)))))

supertrouper

I did find an image of a two fingered salute but thought better of posting it on here as it was bound to get removed by the moderators. I am feeling very warm tonight and think I might be coming down with the "dreaded lurgy" going to hide in my tent and hold positivethinking hostive for the night. Spotted one of the lovely sleep fairies outside and managed to catch her too - that and a glass of something sleep enducing and I am away with the fairies tonight.

GIJaneH

raising a large glass to RevCat.. and heading for the tent.... makes me tired just THINKING about it! well done that lady! J

applestreet

heyyyy....wait for me....celebrations for the fabulous revcat....how brave...snow!!!!!!....hate the cold....not scared of spiders though...don't like anything that flutters...especially moths....tent looks really cosy...where's the 2 fingered flag though??...large glass of white?...yes please...Revcat...glass raised in admiration to you....Cackles...brillo/judi dench/frizzy with the start of curls style for me at the moment...thank god it's time to wear a hat...maybe I should have kept cilla on..no..I want to be me as much as poss...keep looking in the mirror and seeing my nanna!!!!...oh well...Maggie

supertrouper

I have piles of chestnuts inside my tent, that and bowls of eucalyptus leaves - both are supposed to repel spiders. Not having much luck so far - huge wolf spiders spotted both in the tent in in NED
This is a photo of my tent in the woods

Kittyqueen

Me, I need a glass of wine and deffo some chestnuts as have spider phobia.... Large glass of red please....yummmmmmm!!!!

Cackles

Revcat The photo is so so good....just like you. A candle was lit and you were thought of. What horrible weather to do it in. Who looked after your cat while you were climbing?
Quail the Judy Denche look will soon be upon you.......then before you realise it a lawn mower will be needed to cut the frizz (as well as hairs on the pegs)
Mavis you have been so so missed , Bless you for the candles.
Kittyqueen I wondered where that D... Fairy went. I am so glad she stayed around and helped you.
Applestreet how lucky to have found your eyelashes. Mine have defied all the recommended lotions and potions and remain short and thin. Thank goodness for the LGFB people. Now where is that magnifying glass so I can pluck the chin hairs and stick them to my eyes!!!
Ali the woods look super in Autumn a perfect place to play.
GI Jane it is strange how the treatment allows friends tell you how "good" you look constantly!!!!! It is the darlings with the immaculate coloured hair who admire my grey frizz and tell me it suits me so much, and I should keep it this way.......what a fright I must have looked before!!!! Back to blonde ASP
Supertrouper I have been collecting chestnuts today. They are supposed to keep spiders away according to the old wives tales......well I am an old wife, so here is hoping!
Of to the JM cos it is time to celebrate with Revcat....anybody coming????

RevCat

Thank you Woodies for your support as I slogged up that moutain in rain, wind and SNOW! At times it was only thinking of you all that kept me going upwards. The last part of the steep climb I chose to imagine SCACO, Elttiks and Potmaid walking with me... and if that's heretical then 'pot it'... it got me there. I have put a photo in Benchland - if it doesn't get taken down again.
Kittyqueen

Morning All,
Borrowed the sleep fairy last night and managed 8 hours...unbelievable. Supertrouper, thank you for the trees, my cousin explained all about yew and tax and bought me a yew tree pendant and I had my own imaginary druid that I called Goyle, who held my hand and whispered 'heal and protect' whilst I was having tax..so anyone wandering through the woods, please feel free to borrow Goyle, he is a very affable chap and doesn't sing at all:)))
How lovely to have been to Lourdes...I would love to go xx
Am with sittingonmybacksidedoingnothing at the minute as rain is forecast...can tell cos cats are in my sleeping bag and deranged bird is hiding in a tree. May go for a stroll later and kick some leaves xxxx

supertrouper

Back from the Bumfire party in Benchland - not as good as the parties that we have in here but I am happy and full of jacket potato with tuna and wrote rude words with my sparkler!
Heading off to my thermal lined tent now with Buggeritt. Will probably wake up many times due to over heating!
Sending off the sleep fairies to all who need them.
Sleep well fellow woodies. Sleep well xxx

supertrouper

I told my OH all about the woods last year too - he understands me but doesn't "get it" I wittered on at length whilst going through TAX about the Yew Trees and he must have been listening because he bought me a goblet and earings made from Yew wood. Every full moon he buys me white flowers because he knows I like to light candles and have flowers in the house. He doesn't share my views but he does understand. We drove down to Lincolnshire a couple of weeks ago just so that I could hug two trees that had grown twisted into one. An Ash and Elm tree. I have moved a copy of the tree into the dark woods so that any tree huggers can get a quick (or slow) fix, should they need it.
Blessed be and all that.
Come on Buggeritt - HEAL!
Off to the party in Benchland - if it is still going on, they are a bunch of woosies in there sometimes (grin)

GIJaneH

I tried telling OH about The Woods last year - got The Look as most of you have... DD understood completely...
I love kicking through leaves too... especially when they're crunchy... makes me feel younger....

When I went back to work last autumn, everyone told me how well I looked.... 6 months later, same people were saying how much better i looked! Oh, so I didn't look well? Well, you did, but you looked SO tired... (praps because I was???!!) Soddit is loving the woods today... chasing off all sorts of undesireables...
just blasting youshouldbefeelingbetter - she's such a liar! boooof! Gotter!

love Jane

applestreet

ST...your post has just appeared as if by magic above mine in the time I took to post!! I'll be right behind you on the path..if you see me slow down as I'm a bit kna*****d...err...tired from having to bottom the house for a viewing...up for some good celebrating though...Revcat is amazing climbing all that way...good on her I say....M

applestreet

Q..your post made me smile....I didn't tell anyone who didn't need to know of my BC so I just got a wig as similar to my old style as I could...luckily I had my chemo Jan to May so I didn't go out much anyway..spent most of Jan in the stalag and the rest of the time in the house as I can't stand being cold!!!....my neighbours are quite private so nobody commented...I spend a lot of time at my daughter's house with beloved grandson....I kept my wig on all through chemo and on the good days I went out and none of her neighbours was any the wiser...they spoke and walked on if we were playing outside the house...in july...I took my wig off...which incidentally we named Cilla as it looked like Cilla Black's 60's style....the looks I got...I couldn't stop laughing....they asked my daughter if I was "allright" as I looked a bit poorly...no I didn't I had a different hairstyle that was all!!! then my next door neighbour asked me what I had done to my hair as it was much nicer before!!!!!!!!....amazing what a hairstyle can do isn't it???????? Mavis you are v lucky...my OH wouldn't have come to lourdes with me....Maggie

supertrouper

What a lovely evening - the sunlight streaming through the golden leaves of the trees in the woods was so lovely! Lots of golden scrunchy leaves to walk through. I've put the thermal lining in my tent now - might start to get a bit nippy at night and I don't want Buggeritt to get cold when I am out and about in NED.
Going to wander down the pebble path next to the canal later to attend the Bonfire celebrations being held in Benchland for RevCats victorious climb up that tall mountain in Jock Land.
Mavis - I didn't know you wrote names on the candles in Lourdes - what a lovely lovely thing to do. I feel blessed too and know that we all were brought together to help each other through the dark woods.

Quail

I'm still looking for my eyebrows and trying to get used to the odd looks from people who accepted 'Audrey' (the wig) without a qualm, but who are struggling with the thin burr that is now my real hair. I have times of wishing for Audrey back; at least she looked presentable.
Mavis, how lovely to have lit candles at Lourdes, and how lovely to have such a sweet OH. I fear mine might have been growling quietly by the door.
Isn't it nice how friendly we've managed to make the woods, even if there are still a lot of dark patches, and the slightest mis-step can lead you right into a largish patch of swamp and brambles. Positivethinking is right on my shoulder today, and we are laughing and waving as we make our way to the snug--it is coming up to G&T time, isn't it?
Quail

sivam

What joy back from France and crept round to the chapel,all aglow with 14 candles .Thought I would have to use a strimmer to get through the brambles ,but the whole area was cleared by the many footsteps to the door,felt so blessed.Went to Lourdes and at the grotto lit many giant candles one for our BWF group and one for all who trod the path through the woods.OH patiently waited whilst I wrote names on every candle with my marker,the whole exercise was quite cathartic xxMavis

applestreet

Hi
Autumn is my favourite time of the year as well....end of summer is a good excuse for a bit of retail therapy..re...new long sleeves and boots...scarves and hats...I could go on....nip in the air in the Nwest today but bright and breezy...the ladies in Benchland are having a bonfire night for Revcat...please remember to check your bommie for hedgehogs ladies....the smell of autumn is beautiful..fresh and crisp....hippy night sounds good fun...deffo no singers...well we could sing old hippie songs with faroutman and cooldude....keep a lookout for Macca...he's a bit of an old hippie...actually found my eyelashes about 3 weeks ago.....and my eyebrows...was quite surprised as they did a runner with positivethinking in January this year...along with my hair...now have said brows..a bit thin but there...eyelashses actually better than they were but my head of beautiful chocolate coloured..(a gift from saint l'oreal)..hair is no more...the brillo look is there for now until it grows again properly...off for a walk by the canal....have a good weekend ladies..maggie

Kittyqueen

Morning All:)))
Just found my way back in again....been wandering round the edge for a few days ...thong still flying high...bird back on top of tent and kitties being good (actually had broadband upgrade...therefore provider who shall remain namelss left us with no service for three days)
AliH...count me in for tramping through the leaves, I love Autumn, my fave time of year....
Indinial ans shouldbebacktonormalbynow have been visiting me the last few days...am being hard on myself I think , am only on 4of19 rads and getting impatient ....lol I want eyelashes too...
Local wine shop did a californian evening last night as a kind of hippy event..was good as all the blokes wore long wigs...obviously I didn't need one....thought if anyone fancied it we could have a hippy night round the campfire? Faroutman and cooldude could come and visit us...no singers though (PB) if you're listening.
Off to the shops......laters xxxx

Ali_H

Do the woods look any better in the autumn, when the leaves turn? I like trudging through fallen leaves and kicking them about, I hope this is allowed in the Dark Woods....I will be careful of hedgehogs!
GIJaneH

er.... trees????? It IS a wood!!!! Surely the aligators haven't got in from Benchland?!? I thought there were pits.. no wait, it's cancer that's the pits! Got fedupwithlyn ferdema again this morning... flamethrower ready... steady.. aim... fire! Ouch, that was my arm!!!!
Still, at least I'm nodding from NED.... have a great day
love Jane xx

supertrouper

Hey you guys are beginning to make the Woods sound like Venice with the canal theme. I like it. We need all the paths and canals and tunnels and bridges that we can get to make the journey to the land of NED. Buggeritt is available to tow barges along the canals or poke people across bridges when he isn't chasing gremlins or catching positive fairies and newts. I am thinking we need a zip rope from the top of the Old Yew tree in the woods directly into Latrazole villas right by the spa! This would bypass all the aligators and nasty gremlins that seem to be on the footpaths. Anyone know of anything that might be in the way of the zip line?

GIJaneH

Thanks Revcat - found my way back to the chapel! Linking the Woods and Benchland with the canal is a great idea... bit weary tonight, so going to curl up in a corner of the JM.....
Soddit is loving having all this company again! Yay! Woof!
lots of love Jane

Quail

They've been in storage???? That may explain a lot.

Cackles

A Candle is lit for you Revcat. Thank you for making such an effot for BCC. It is people like you who fund these invaluable forums to keep the Woodies sane. A welcome down party will be ready for you and all lurkers in the JM. lots of yummy cakes etc will be baked and the weighing backwards scales taken out of storage.

applestreet

Hi
what a good idea...using the irons as ballast...that's all they're good for.....where would the canal lead to...from DDW..to Benchland perhaps....the pebble path could run along side the canal...with a little bridge over it with pretty lights on...these could help travellers on their way into the woods and would also attract fairies....sleep fairies for any of us that need them maybe....from Benchland it could run into the land of NED where we all want to end up......then again we would need Soddit and Buggerit to catch any gremlins that make their own laundry boat.....

Quail

Thanks for the chapel address, I keep forgetting it too.
I'm climbing onto the canal boat now, armed with umbrella, wellies and Soddit and Alwayslookonthebrightside--I do like the attractive autumn leaf arrangement on the top, I believe it's in an old laundry basket with an iron or two for ballast. We'll be thinking of you wending your way up Nevis, revcat.
I know it is a bore, Jane, but you might try a sleeve with a "mitten" or "gauntlet". My LE nurse swears I shouldn't need one, but every time I wear a sleeve without my hand swells up like a balloon.

applestreet

many thanks revcat...good luck on climbing Ben Nevis and congrats in advance...M

RevCat

Directions to St Raphael's Chapel http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=DDW. If all candles are blown out, lighting a new one restarts the group.
applestreet

Ironing should be banned for ladies with or without cancer....FF..my hero for not ironing...I hang cardies out on the line on a hanger so that once in shape they dry on the hanger and put them away once dry...only buy fabrics that need no or minimum ironing....my kids were all taught what the iron is for!!!....A canal through the woods would be good fun....Love monty python idea....Jane...I,m glad you have a sleeve...Cackles...look after that cough...hope it goes soon...does anyone know the way to the chapel pls as I seem to have lost the link...thanks in advance...M

GIJaneH

Can we have a canal through the Woods - I'd love that! Glad someone found the chapel - I can't remember how to get to it!!!! I think fedupwithallthisstuff is visiting a lot of us right now...
Got a sleeve, which I used to wear int he mornings... LD nurse told me to wear it all day, so now my hand swells instead! (bitten by that gremlin again!) Soddit - get it!
Love having Montypython in the Woods - now got "always singonthebrightsideoflife" in my head - vast improvement... just make sure the Pink Foot isn't up there somewhere!!!! Hope they don't always go together!

There are spare rooms in Letrazole Lakeside...

see you later
love Jane xx

Cackles

Well it's off to work I go tomorrow. Car rail and tube and two hours later, lots of Suduko and free papers to read and the day will begin.Chilton rail should be adopted as the Woods official NED transport, good, on time, clean and friendly. The power cut in the middle of my healthy turkey loaf's cooking was a false start to my diet. Luckily I had bought a medium steak and ale pie from the Queen's Farmshop in Windsor for my OH. ( lovely yum yums to be had there) So cold pie and baked beans ( my Aga is electric) we're eaten with relish. Wet I was soaked just sprinting from tne car to house. We live on top of the highest village in Bucks but had rivers running through the garden. I must bring the Rib and Avon back from the Thames ....they might be needed to act as overflow transport to the Ark. All woodies welcome. I have plenty of life jackets
Blast a rotten cough is swaying my positive thinking tonight. Three days of wheazing and the rotten Gremlin waking up. Where is that flame thrower when you need it ? It will have to be Soddit and Pal to remove them,, they are very good at HEAL.

supertrouper

Oh the joys of not having to work in the morning - Thursday is my day off from any work, paid or voluntary! Nothing at all planned for tomorrow. Plenty on my "I would like to do" list but will see what time the sleep fairies desert me in the morning. They have been more than kind to me recently and have stayed snuggled up to me until past 10am most days unless I have had to used the dreaded alarm clock to get me up for some appointment or other reason.
I have dragged a montypython fairy into our woods - found it whistling a cheery tune whilst I was out and about in the land of NED. Please welcome alwayslookonthebrightsideoflife into the woods.

foxyferret

Thanks Ali - will be making that at the weekend.
Cackles - thank you, tried your yew tree nest and found it so comfortable that I overslept this morning. Fortunately it didn't matter. Need to be be up early tomorrow, hospital appt., so will go back to Tamoxifen Towers tonight, but will remenber your yew tree when a good nights sleep is required.

Ironing is not necessary in this life. Buy fabrics that do not need ironing, empty washing machine as soon as finished and either fold or hang out as weather dictates. I have not ironed anything since my children left school(cotton shirts).That's about sixteen years ago!!
applestreet

Hello woodies....well I didn't float away and the front garden is still there!!!! FF and Pargayan all lurkers welcome in the woods....the lagoon is lovely....have been staying in Tamoxifen towers for a few months since end of yakky chemo but am still cold....even with the flushes....ST..I think that wearyofalthisshite has visited a few of us these last few weeks..good on you for drowning him...Cackles....you can join me anytime..Gin and whatever for you...Jane...I hope your arm gets better soon....do you have a sleeve....the nurse that treated me at the stalag had a sleeve on for work..sending positivethinking and her sister bringiton to anyone who needs them....onwards and upwards girls....Oh god...here comes the rain again....Ark sounds a good idea..told beloved grandson we'll be going to school in a dinghy if this keeps up and he was quite excited...don't think it will come to that....Where's that poker to heat the wine...flamethrowers outside my tent to fire at gremlins...Maggie..

pargayan

Another lurker on dark woods but as I came from benchland I checked the chapel and have relit the candles, most had gone out but 1 was still flickering determindly (sp?).
Memory is very wooly at the moment (who am I kidding - since I hit the dear old meno 11 yrs ago it has been bad!!) but did I read somehwere about letrozole villas? If so, is there a room free please?
I think wearyofalthisshite either had a brother or he could hold his breath for a very long time because he came to visit the day after he left you Supertrouper! Trying to talk it all through but not sure if it is working. Maybe I need a big dose of kickupthers, anyone know where he is?

Ali_H

Are they any good at ironing????????????
katytc

Pssssst, I think the gremlins have invaded Benchland, HELP!! xx

Ali_H

Yoga lesson this morning, cuppa with bf, then I can either put my sandals away and get my boots out, or do some ironing. Hmmm. 😉
GIJaneH

sounds great Ali - we'll have a fantastic party at Christmas! Actually, will the minemeat last that long???
You're welcome to take Soddit for a walk - and have him curl up on your lap (he excells at that) He loved you last year - and will remember... He's got a new little friend who stays most of the week, Dammit... Dammit is a little BIchon Frise with BIG attitude, and he's nipping at the heels of Pissedoffness and any other gremlins he sees... very yappy I'm afraidi, but good at chasing cats and gremlins...
Have a good day up your trees, in the pub, behind trees, by the lagoon, lurking, whatever you're doing.... Off to W.O.R.K.....

Jane x

Ali_H

Alcohol with mincemeat:
300 ml brandy or rum. You may not want to add all of it, so measure it into a large glass and slug back any that doesn't make it into the mix...
225g glace cherries, chopped a bit if you've got the energy
125g nuts, chopped till you get bored (I like pecans)
175g each of currants, raisins and sultanas
A large cooking apple, peeled and grated
125g shredded suet (I use the veggie version, don't know why!)
350g demerara sugar
1tsp ground mixed spice (or cinnamon)

Mix it all up in a big bowl, cover, leave for a couple of days, then put into sterilised warm jars. Leave it for a few weeks (if you've got some a year later it will be fabulous!!!!)

Thank you for chasing pissedoffness away , I think it's gone to play with doesn'titgetdarkearly....but that's ok, I can hibernate with my mince pies 🙂
Quail

Howling wind, rain, and even the fire wasn't scaring the demons off tonight, so it's a comfort to hear your voices in the woods, even if I can't, quite, see you. I can't tell whether it's pissedoff or scaredtodeath sniffing around the tent, but I DO NOT LIKE IT. There! That scared him off. Perhaps it's time to test some of that mincemeat for the 40-proof Woodland Special Mince Pies. I know what you mean, Cackles, about the extra-large knickers, and you GIJ, the fat arm. Goodness, no wonder I've got pissedoff in here with me--I'm FAT all over!

supertrouper

Hi Cackles - I set Buggeritt onto chasing pissedoff away. I had wearyofallthisshite visiting me last weekend but I shook the clingy little gremlin off me and drowned it in the lagoon. Think we might need to start building an Ark in NED soon - I need my wellies on to walk from the house to the car. I have managed to avoid Lymph oh dear me (so far)
Can someone check the candle is still lit in the chapel - I was worried when I visited before and they had all blown out. We need all the help we can get in here.
Ahhh now look over there! I caught a glimpse of PB behind the bushes. Ducky must be back from her jaunts across the channel.

Cackles

Foxy don't lurk everybody is welcome to camp by the lagoon. If you are having Tax you might like to go up into my old yew tree nest. Very comfy, one careful owner , Lagoon views and a pipe line to get the juices straight from the JM on bad days. Sleep fairies do not visit much but positive thinking and bringiton visit regularly.
Ali if you have the ET glow try a bit of low dose Asprin it worked for me.
Jane can I take dear Soddit for a walk? I need the exercise and he was do soft and cuddly during my treatment. As for lymph o dearma...what a pain in the.... Poor you. My cooper's barrel chest is slightly better at last......sometimes I forget it is there...bliss.
Oops the old hokey Cokey with the duvet needed. Dripping like the trees again. Applestreet I feel for you. Where is the yard arm tonight? Can I join you? A large Gin would be nice.
Supertrouper...I am sorry you had pissedoff come to visit. He got around a lot last weekend. I have chased him away , did you manage too?
There is no wind here even after a chilli, so you can have my pegs Kittyqueen.
Be of good faith one and all (especially those who hide behind the trees)
cackles

foxyferret

I have lurked, and loved, this thread but never posted before. I'm just nipping in fron Tamoxifen Towers to say that I really fancy the idea of alcoholic mince pies. I'll nip in again at Christmas.
Ali - any chance of the recipe?
GIJaneH

Soddit is on the case.... oh Buggerit, he's brought it to me, with the lymphodema!

applestreet

Hellooooo...soggy in the Nwest today just for a change....not quite floating down the street yet but there's still time....howling wind...she says as she draws closer to the heater....will get my killer cat to chase off pissedoffness....if she catches it..it'll join the list if her victims... saw our first robin the other day..halfway down said cat's throat!!! poor OH had to coax the poor thing off her with half a tub of whiskas treats....thankfully the poor little thing was OK...cat was in a bad mood all day after that....I spent the first few months of this year holding onto my wig with the winds....thought I wouldn't feel the weather with these flushes but it''s b****y cold!!!! Hope ST can get reasontobecheerful off the yew tree for you before she blows away....I am sure the sun is over the yard arm somewhere in the world so am off the JM for a hot toddy...or spiced wine...or.....Maggie

Kittyqueen

Ooffffft any got any extra tent pegs? This wind is awful...could do with staking the wig down too before it ends up in the lake :))))
Cats won't come out of tent...will have to leave them home alone while go to start rads this afternoon...got 19 yummy yums:))) Thong incredibly droopy on the line.
Am still waiting to see if I need Ta'poxyfen as well..Onc sent receptors off for another check...wonders if Onc keeps all bits of peoples's bits for re-checking??? :)))) Yeeeuch! I was pretty much borderline but def HER2 positive so will be on 6th Herceptin next week. Not noticed any SE's with that as yet but there's time:
Back later
KQ and The Posse ( Dexy-wuddle bum, Floppit, Sticky bug Woodle, Murph-man and Belly Poods) :)))))))

supertrouper

Just set Buggerit onto chasing pissedoffness out of the woods. Now trying to coax reasonstobecheerful down from the top of the old Yew tree. Also been to the chapel to light a candle. No wonder the gremlins have been creeping closer, all the candles had gone out.

The land of NED is a rather wet place today so packing my twilight umbrella to take with me today (it lights up with dozens of tiny lights). hope it cheers up all who see it.