66.5K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standing outside the dark, dark woods.

GIJaneH

Re: Standing outside the dark, dark woods.

It can be really hard, but the way we got through our cancer was 'one day at a time'. The same applies in NEDland... Absolute waste of the rest of our lives to spend them worrying about that old gremlin "what if?" We used to zap him with a flamethrower in these woods... Obviously need to get it out again.... He's got some nasty friends, like "you'llneverbethesameagain" and a few others you may have met. Pitch tent, and we'll go gremlin hunting.... One day at a time....

poemsgalore

Re: How wonderful that there is some activity in the woods ag...

Living in NEDland isn't all it's cracked up to be Woman Sad and I saved a whole bottle of Prosecco just for you Kay. It's in the babbling brook beneath some pebbles. I had to hide it there in case I was tempted. Woman Wink

You're right Mary, I find that the more time passes, the more fear I feel of a recurrence. I have dreams about being on an oncology ward with terminal cancer. Brain mets, bone mets, liver mets. You name it I've imagined it. I'm trying to concentrate on all my other ailments but the whole of my BC year still haunts me. Woman Frustrated

Oh well, such is life. Sending hugs to all in the woods.

Kath xx

mary32

Hi Kaytee

That's good to hear, not sure what normal is anymore. Still trying to figure out how this has all changed me a d how much I'm going to worry about recurrence.

Mary

Kayteeb53

Hi Mary, so glad your active treatment is over with. I am 10 months since radiotherapy and life is normal
K x
Kayteeb53

Hi Kath, just as well the Woods have their own microclimate or the nest in the trees won't be up there for long! Any Prosecco left?
Kay x
poemsgalore

Where are you all? It's getting lonely and cold here in the dark woods, especially at night. I've climbed out of the tree and am snuggled down in the JM. Someone had better come and save me before I drink all the supplies!! Woman Frustrated

poemsgalore xx

poemsgalore

Welcome Mary, help yourself to any of the goodies on offer. I'm going to sit at the top of the highest tree I can find and survey the horizon for any other newcomers. I think we need more flags and bunting to show them the way.

Kath xx

mary32

Hi there

May I join in on this thread? You seem like a lovely lot!

I am all finished active treatment in November and am now working my way to finding a new way to live.

Mary

supertrouper

How wonderful that there is some activity in the woods ag...

How wonderful that there is some activity in the woods again.  I come and camp here when I am anxious about appointments or waiting for results.  So far so good.  This year will be my third anniversary of finding the lump and being diagnosed (May 2011) - still living in the wonderful land of NED.  Long may it last.  

kevinj

Re: What just happened then? I was curled up in a comfy spot...

Fantastic news for a lady with the heart of a lion and heart of gold,

JCJ

Celebrations all round! How I love these NEDDY anniversaries! My surgeon check-up, on Monday was all OK. Sunday will be the 2nd anniversary of recall mammo, so I'm glad check-up is done. I get so jittery before them (ES says I get tittery! 🙂 )

I'm still mostly avoiding alcohol as it makes the flushing unbearable, but I'll join you in the JM for a hot chocolate and a fruity J-tit-o or several.

Elderberry jelly sponges with lashings of custard available if anyone wants some.

Ali_H

Poemsgalore that's brilliant news! I'll have a hot Choc with extra cream, marshmallows and a flake or three please. And buttermilk scones with cherries and jam. (have decided to cut back on my sugar intake, can you tell??)
poemsgalore

Ok, all off to the Jinglin Merkin, celebrations all round. Just got back from the breast clinic. I saw the same nurse who did my original examination before DX. I didn't get an ultra sound, they only do that when they want to DX something. She felt all along my scar, then beneath my arm, all over the good breast and beneath that arm, then up the lymph glands in my chest/neck area. Smiled, said there's nothing there. See you next year. So I'm well chuffed with that.

Also waiting for her first annual check was the young girl who had her surgery the same day as I did. She looked fabulous. We wished each other well and are having our next year's appointment on the same day and time. 

So make sure the two fingered flag is flying high, send Buggerit off to catch newts, and fluff up the feathers in the yew tree nests. Mines a Harvey's Bristol Cream or two, followed by a massive mug of hot chocolate with muffins and real butter.

Sorry to disturb you supertrouper, come an have a drink with me. 

Kath xx

supertrouper

What just happened then?  I was curled up in a comfy spot...

What just happened then?  I was curled up in a comfy spot in the JM after having quite a few celebratory drinks at the new year.  All was quiet until just now.  I do hope we are going to get some newbies in here to dust down the Jinglin Merkin and fluff up the feathers in the yew tree nests.

Off to the bar to get a top up.  Then back to the tent to make sure the two fingered flag is flighing high!  

Common Buggerit - lets go catch some newts!!

GIJaneH

don't forget to go into the pub (the JM (Jinglin Merkin))...   you might find one or two oldies curled up in there... we had some very good times in these woods, with much mutual support/gremlin bashing/encouragement/fun.....

bring some friends, and see what you make of these woods -  yew tree nests and all...

Jane

poemsgalore

Thanks Kaytee, I have extra blankets and a flask of hot chocolate you can share if you like. xx

Kayteeb53

Hi Poems, I'll just sit quietly with you to give you some strength and support. Mandy, sometimes I think we all need to reflect a bit x
poemsgalore

Mandy, you are so kind. I could do with a few spicy beans later. I've made a pot of hot chocolate if you'd like to drink it. I could get used to the woods, especially as I'm feeling a bit down. My mammo was clear, but that was on my good side. Got to have my surgery side checked on 22nd Jan. Might spend a bit more time here if nobody minds.

Kath xxx

millymolly_m

One year down the line and even though I've just had a clear mammo result I'm feeling a bit wobbly so popped into the woods for a bit of solace. All is peaceful - if a bit on the damp side. Have stoked the fires and left a pot of spicy beans in the JM for weary travellers. Also made sure there are some tents on stilts to keep everyone safe from flash floods.
Here's hoping that BC newbies will find this thread and so find the comfort it gave me this time last year.
Xxxx
Ali_H

I've just had a lovely walk through the woods, kicking huge piles of leaves (and all the angst they were holding) into touch. The camp fires smell lovely, mmmm toasted marshmallows and a huge mugga choc please 🙂
GIJaneH

Hi Kitty - Love it!  Hope PB doesn't keep you awake!!!!

I'll have a drink with you while you're here.....  need heating in the tents now....

love Jane

Kittyqueen

Hi Woodies,

Longtime no JM....just to make you smile hopefully.  I have a new cockerel and have named him Piers Bros-Bird after the infamous PB as he defiantely does not have a good cockadoodle 🙂

Raising a glass in the JM and flying the 2-fingered salute...love to Woodies old and new.

KQ

xxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Kayteeb53

Large glass of wine duly raised, although was thinking should be Nana Barbara's Baileys latte as is this time of the year again.
Who's decorating the tree this year?
K x
GIJaneH

Invite your friends!  We used to chase away nasty gremlins like "whatif" and "Ican'tdothisanymore"....  There are 2 dogs - Buggerit (who belongs to SuperTrouper) and Soddit, who is mine....  The woods are incredibly supportive, so it would be lovely to have company here again...

Right - large glass of white wine please.....

Jane

benedictus

Thanks Jane!  All makes sense now!  And I realise, after putting two and two together that one of my bestest friends was a founder Woodie back in 2010. (Funnily enough we are so busy talking about our real lives that we don't discuss our virtual ones!) Knowing her, she had a lot to do with getting the JM up and running!!  Looking forward to sitting around the bonfire as the nights draw in xx

GIJaneH

Hi Benedictus. The JM. is the pub in the middle of the Woods.... Jingling Merkin... (Look up merkin!!!). The two fingered flag flies outside it, and we've had many an amazing party there.... You're very welcome. There's also a lagoon, a huge bonfire (please bring your sparklers).... And lots of very comfy tents.... And a patisserie yurt, and a few dogs hunting newts and chasing away gremlins.... Hope that helps!

benedictus

Please enlighten me.... what is the JM?  And I can bring the sparklers......

GIJaneH

I guess it's up to us to keep bringing the Woods to the top MMM !  They were a life-saver for me when I was going through the mill.... 

So....  party tonight?  "Strictly" on the the big screen TV in the JM?

Planning for the firework party?

Jane

millymolly_m

The woods are such a wonderful place and have saved so much sanity. What a shame that a thread like this is buried so deep I the new BCC site. How can we those newly diagnosed find their way here more easily so they too can negotiate these winding BC tracks with support?
Kayteeb53

Getting a bit cold to sit out on the Benches. Perhaps move some of them , apart from the Guilty one of course (wouldn't want to have the guilt of being warmer than others) , into the JM?
Guest user
Not applicable

Hello All!

I have decorated my den with festive autumn leaves and set up a tent next to ST. Have dusted around in the JM...it's lovely swinging on the chandeliers!

GIJaneH

Watchout Buggerit - here comes Soddit - wants to play.....

think it's time to dust the cobwebs off the chandeliers in the JM and throw a party....

supertrouper

Wow - is it really over a year since SCACO left us?  Gone but never to be forgotten!  I think this thread helped to save my sanity when I was first dx.  

Think I might camp out here for the weekend.

"Come one Buggerit - let's go fishing for nuets!"

<hoisting two fingered flag above tent>

Kayteeb53

Had just found the Woods at the start of my journey when SCACO left us. Thank you for words of wisdom. RIP
JCJ

A year? Wow! The woods are a lasting legacy. SCACO: Gone but not forgotten. x

Alto

SCACO, your Woodies are still together, as irreverent as ever but missing you. Remembering all the fun times. xxx

RevCat

Never forgotten SCACO, your humour, courage and tenacity brought hope and help to so many.  Can't believe it is a year already.

GIJaneH

never forgotton SCACO - you were inspirational, and The Woods a real refuge in time of trouble

RIP my friend

Jane

Guest user
Not applicable

RIP  Scaco.

Mezzomamma

Amen.

applestreet

in remembrance of chief woodie Scaco 1 yr ago today. these woods are comfort to all travellers Rip lovely lady.

GIJaneH

Yes please FF!  Love a singalong...and the campfire outside the JM has seen some fabulous ones....

foxyferret

Just found the way back to the woods, think the path was closed for repairs and I didn't have a boat for the canal from Benchland.  I'm here now raising a glass to you all in the JM.  Might even tickle the ivories later, anyone for a singsong?

GIJaneH

Soooo pleased Jen. These things are irreplaceable. Fairy lights are great.... Celebrations I. The JM tonight?

Guest user
Not applicable

Woke up on Saturday feeling sad & gloomy because I thought I'd lost my treasured silver & amethyst ring, which I had specially made for my 60th. last year.  It has my children's initials incorporated in the design.  I realised I'd lost it getting out of my sister's car in a multi storey car park on Friday.  Anyhow, we went to look for it yesterday & my daughter spotted it.  I was SOoo happy!  Then went to a pretty village nearby for a lovely walk & a chinese meal as it was my son's 28th birthday.  Chinese lanterns & a sparkly ring adding extra light to the woods!  

supertrouper

Tried to look at a bigger version of your Avatar but couldn't work out how to do this. The sleep fairies that I have managed to catch are tiny sparkly things, more like butterflies than anything else. I can see them flitting around the trees when I take Buggerit out for his walk.

GIJaneH

If you know how, do look at my avatar a bit bigger - it's a sleep fairy for anyone who needs her...

GIJaneH

Love it!

JCJ

Whilst on holiday, we passed a farm called Merlin Farm. I miss-read it and imagined it was the place where they farmed the sheep for the wool to knit into merkins!  I literally laughed out loud and mentally raised a glass to the farmer! We must invite him to the JM and buy him (or her!) a pint/beverage-of-choice! 🙂