cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Start chemo next week Tuesday 25th July

17 REPLIES 17
Wingnut

Re: Start chemo next week Tuesday 25th July

By the way. Little pieces of cold melon seems nice in my mouth. Swallowing is definitely weird. Dry. Porridge with oatmilk and honey not dairy due to diarrhoea. Ice pops. Lots and lots of water!! Paracetamol seems to take the edge of the achey pains a bit. Changing positions when I can. Sitting standing. Sofa. Bed. Chair. X
Wingnut

Hi Lou. Poor you. Sounds like your chemo day was far too eventful! I have heard about fluid leaking and causing sore skin but don’t have any experience myself. I have a PIC line which is a tube that remains permanently in my arm. I have it flushed and redressed once a week and have to wear a cover over it when I shower or bath. Apart from that it’s been no problem at all. Can you ask for one maybe? No needles then? I guess each person is individual and only your onc knows. If it’s hot to touch I would ring them now and chat to them. At least the. If you need to go in they will be prepared for you so there won’t be much hanging around. Not worth waiting as we are vulnerable!! I do feel your pain re going into hospital but think of all those drugs you can have to alleviate any pain nausea etc. We had our T the same day! I’m going to ask my onc why is have 3 T and not 4 like you. Although like you I don’t want to increase the goal post but at the same time cure is the goal!!! Call the hospital chemo unit and let me know what they say. Wishing you all the best. Stay strong. X emily
Lou12345

Hi Emily nice to hear you're coping ok and getting through it. I have had 3 fec which Like you I found easier. Had my first T last fri and had a bit of a nightmare. After 4 cannulas the drug leaked out of the vein and I had an egg sized lump on my wrist. The consultant did a proceedure to wash out the area, making 6 incisions to squeeze the fluid from to minimise tissue damage. I've had 3 hospital visits since having it checked as the area has been red and they were worried about infection. After checking my bloods they decided it was an allergic reaction but I have woken this morning and it's painful and hot to touch. I haven't called the hospital yet as trying to avoid another hospital trip 😬 I would really like to hear from anyone else who has gone through this as I've not seen it mentioned on the forum. Also to just say to everyone if things don't feel right when your having your treatment say something, mine felt different but I thought it was a different drug or just that my veins were suffering from previous treatments? The other main side effect I have is a very sore mouth, finding it hard to swallow so eating isn't easy. I have diflam which helps a little. What else can I try??? I wouldn't worry about eating healthily at the moment just eat what you can and if you can find anything that tastes good eat it!! I have 3 more cycles left, originally it was 6 in total but now my hospital has got funding for 4 T so it's been increased. Feel like the finish line has moved further away but obviously I want everything I can have. Whatever we're faced with we'll get through it eh. Best wishes to everyone xx louise 

Wingnut

Sometimes I don’t know where the time goes. It’s been ages since I posted and hope you hate all doing ok? I have had round 4 on Friday. Docetaxel Herceptin and Perjeta. Yesterday felt like I got hit by a wall. Was ok before that. Achey and fatigued and just plain rubbish. Been in bed most of the time. Hoping this is a blip and will pass in a few days. Most of the time since I started my treatment I felt ok apart from about 1 weeks post the chemo. The FEC felt a bit easier than than this i think. Only 2 left. 🥊🥊. Have been eating lots of melon and have had diahrea which I haven’t had before. Just read on the forum that fruit has that effect so might not eat any fruit. Struggling to know what to eat as I’m obsessed with trying to be healthy. Think I may change that and just eat what i fancy that doesn’t increase risk of diahrea - carbs are the way forward apparently? Warm baths are nice (with someone nearby in case I feel a bit faint!!). Seeing my oncologist tomorrow so will ask about side effects and any foods to avoid etc. Sending lots of postive vibes to you all xx emily
Kittybrew

Hi, I too am on perjeta, herceptin & taxotere, 2nd cycle today. After first, had attack of oral thrush, lots of pain caused by filgrastim injections & poor sleep caused by steroid anti nausea tablets. Bit grim but didn't last more than 7 days. I am using cold cap with good outcome. My hair has thinned but it's not noticeable, I have a wig ready if needed, I'm told I cud still lose my hair even with only 2 treatments to go. My next hurdle is surgery & starting to get anxious about that, no date yet but probably late November.
Juder

Hi ladies, just found your thread

I too started my chemo last Tuesday 25th July.  EC. X3 followed by Paclitaxel X9(weekly)

So far, I have felt ok.. nauseous on Tues eve and Wednesday. But no sickness. 

I took all my anti-sickness and steriods as instructed. Even managed to inject myself on the Wednesday. You don't realise how strong this thing makes you become!

im religiously cleaning my teeth and swilling my mouth as I can't bare the thought of mouth ulcers, but I'm sure I'll be fine when confronted by them. 

Hope you're both feeling well today and had a good sleep last night. 

Jude. 

sjo1969

Hi I had my first chemo on Tuesday -FEC- I too had the hedgehog effect with the streroids. Havent been sick or felt it really...find that ginger really helps...and drinking plenty ....good luck xx
Lou12345

Hi Emily and all the other ladies reading this.

I had to have my metal marker injected into the lump yesterday which left me with a sore boob but was ok. Straight on to the chemo afterwards which went ok. Like you I felt sick a couple of hours after which got steadily worse. I went to bed but woke a lot in the night, was only sick once and did feel better after that. Still feel nauseas this morning but don't feel I'm going to be sick which is good.

They tell you to pick up your drugs from the pharmacy before you go to chemo and I just stood open mouthed 😲when he pulled them all out and started to explain it all. I've gone from hardly taking a paracetamol to rattling with the amount of drugs inside me! And I'm not looking forward to injecting myself, they kept that one a secret!! 😉

I barely ate anything yesterday just some cereal for breakfast and scrambled egg before the nausea kicked in but weighed myself this morning and I've put on 4lb overnight. How does that happen??? 

Emily, mine is the same in the r Breast and no lymph nodes appear involved, I had a CT scan as I mentioned to my onc that I had pain in my shoulder/collar bone area so she recommended it to be on the safe side. I think now it was probably down to anxiety as the scan is clear thankfully. I'm sure you'll feel better having that reassurance too. Do you have a date yet? I'm glad you're felling better today.

Sorry for moaning and on a more positive note I would like to say all of the medical staff I have come into contact with have been fantastic, very friendly and so helpful and reassuring. Just what you need going through this.

Have a good day everyone. Louise xx

Wingnut

Quick question. Did they say why you needed a CT scan? I am having one now because although it only seems to be in my right b and no lymph nodes appear to be involved from ultrasound they want to be sure. Emily x
Wingnut

Hi Louise - How was your chemo yesterday. Hope you are feeling ok. I'm feeling tired and brain fuzz but ok.
Emily x
Wingnut

Put in not put back in!!!! Typo. 😲
Wingnut

Hi Louise

Great your CT scan was clear! And that you liked your wig. I'm going to wig place in hospital on Friday.
One down and 5 to go 🥊🥊🥊🥊🥊🥊!! Yesterday was my first round and the actual drugs being put back n took and 1h and a half in total and felt fine. Had a prickly bum with the steroid antisickness which was first. But other than that was ok. About 2-3 hours after I got home I felt sick and was SPECTACULARLY sick but felt better, relief after. I'm sure not everyone is sick and I honk hey gave me a medium type dose of antisickness. I was sick about 6 times over the next 6 hours with relief afterwards. I phoned the ward and asked them if I should take the other antisickness tablet whic they gave me "if needed". She was really reassuring and told me to take it and that next time the onc might prescribe me stronger dose to start with. I slept really well on and off with no sickness so I feel ok this morning. Just a bit queasy and fuzzy. I just ate a little scramble egg. Also I ate rich tea biscuits In between being sick and drunk water even when I didn't feel like it. Sips little but often. Hopefully I will just feel fuzzy which I can cope with today. Best we f luck tomorrow and always remember that you can call the hospital if you are worried or not sure about something. Xxxx emily
Lou12345

Hi Emily,

I hope your treatment went well yesterday? I had the whole day at the hospital yesterday, 6hours 😳

I have a wig on order, was really surprised with the choice available and chose a real hair wig that I will ask my hairdresser to cut in a similar style to mine. Really pleased with it. 

Also had oncologist appointment, she confirmed my CT scan was clear which was another thing I was worried about so I have no spread which is very reassuring. I then went to a chemo group session which was very helpful. We had a 'tour' of the chemo area and it just made me realise that this is actually happening!

I have my first treatment tomorrow and I feel very nervous about it. I was very anxious when first diagnosed but did calm down. I can feel the anxiety building again, I think it's the unknown and once I've got the first one under my belt I'll be ok.

Best wishes to everyone having treatment this week. Xx

Lou12345

Hi Emily,

Thats good to know about the cold cap. I've got an appointment with my oncologist on Tuesday so will ask her opinion. I've also got a chemo group session on the same day where they talk in more detail about possible side effects etc. When your first treatment is getting closer you just want as much information/tips don't you! 

I've got to have a metal marker put in on Thurs before the chemo. Are you having that? 

i'm definitely with you with the just want to get on with it, the anticipation just makes it worse!! 

Enjoy you weekend and let me know how the tour goes, hopefully will make you feel more comfortable for Tuesday. 

Louise X 

Wingnut

Hi Louise
I decided not to try the cold cap as I heard different opinions but some were common such as the freezing aspect of the cold cap is quite painful and uncomfortable, it can work but also it can leave patches of hair and bald patches where it doesn't work (maybe there are better cold caps then others??). Most important to me was an oncologist that was not happy with them because he thought that where the cold cap was working the freeze aspect might stop the chemo working there?? So I have decided to embrace the baldness:-). I have my tour and talk of the chemo unit tomorrow then my PIC line on Monday. Then ready to go! Just want to get started but also nervous about the side effects. Will be lovely to keep in touch. All the best emily xx
Lou12345

Hi Wingnut

Your treatment sounds very similar to mine. I'm having chemo first before op and rads, first session is on Thursday. I'm also grade 2 HER2 positive. I'm changing to Pertuzumab, Trastuzumab and Docetaxel on 4th session. I had already had 2 cysts in the past couple of years so when I found this lump I wasn't too worried as I thought it would be another one. Its been a blur of MRIs, CT scans and various other tests since!

Are you going to try the cold cap? I don't know enough about about it yet so I'm undecided. I have an appointment for a wig fitting on Tuesday which I'm not looking forward to but have to stay positive.

Wishing you the best of luck for Tuesday, be nice to keep in touch as we go though this.

Louise x

AliOG

Hi Wingnut,

Sorry to hear you're having to start chemo but glad you've found the forum. You'll find loads of help and support on here from women going through it with you. There is a monthly thread set up just for people starting chemo in July so I'd have a look at that and join in. Also that group have an additional Facebook group which is very active. If you search Breast Cancer Care July 2017 Chemo Starters, you'll find us. The cover picture is of pink roses. 

Looking forward to chatting to you.

Wingnut

Start chemo next week Tuesday 25th July

Found this forum and thought I would ask for some tips and thoughts on first chemo session? Bit scared. Have already cut off my long hair to a bob. Going to get a really short hair cut today so it's in my control! I will have 6 sessions over 18 weeks and will have Pejeta and Herceptin start together on 4th cycle. Operation after chemo and then radiotherapy last. Early stage grade 2 HER2 positive BC. All happened so fast!!