1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting Chemo April 2015

newey47

Re: Starting Chemo April 2015

thanks hazelr, appreciate your comments. I do feel somewht better today, If i could just eat and get rid fo this awful metal taste in my mouth, and clean my teeth propely without retching i would be so much happier lol .  Sure it will come xxxx

Hazelr

Poor you I am out the other side of chemo 2 weeks ago and had Emend for 3days and then Domperidon to take ,4 times a day for 4 days and then if and when I needed it. I would take it occasionally through to the next chemo and It worked a treat so ask about both of those meds. Hope you feel better, I had hardly any nausea with docetaxel but a little more with FEC. The tiredness builds up over the weeks so don't try and do too much, be kind to yourself and you will get through it. I always had to go to the end of a long miserable tunnel physically and mentally and then wake up one day about a week later feeling nearly human again! It's amazing how your body will cope with the chemo, feel better and then off you go again. Good luck xx
newey47

thanks so much.  I hope to improve very soon.  Managed some cornflakes this morning without gagging.  Lets just hope I keep them down.  xxxxxx

Codiesue

Hi newey47 sorry to hear you are feeling so sick, I have now finished my chemo but was very sick with the FEC part and my Onc gave me Emmend for 2nd session and was much better....it is very expensive so they try you with the generic meds firs Please ask for it next time chemo is hard enough so anything to make it easier is worth it. Hang on in there it will pass quite quickly listen to your body and rest when needed you will get there. Sue xx 

T3D

Newey47 really hope you feel better tomorrow you'll I prove so quickly once you can manage some food xxx
newey47

Thats great T3D so glad you are feeling much better.  I wish I could say the say but live in hope.  xxxxxx

newey47

thanks tuss, I do have some more anti sickness pills they gave me to take. Now I have finished the others I have decided to try them.  Unfortunately its really hard to take them and drink a glass of water without gagging. Just did that, then retching in sink.  Dont think they came back up so maybe ok.  Just had half a cup of soup, maybe that will stay down.  maybe take two more before bed and I might get a better night. xxxx

T3D

Feeling so much better today. I've managed to eat wheatabix! Woo hoo. Hope everyone else is feeling better too. Bring on the weekend!
T3D

Yes whenmy2become1 I do hope to learn to do it myself. As you say it'll be easier than waiting in for the nurse. Also it'll save them a job and they do seem so busy
Molliana

Jane I don't have them either 🙂
Jane1978

Wats these injections ev one talking about ??? Feel like in missing out lol x
Tussie

Val, could you get in contact with your chemo unit and see if they can help with the sickness, have read there are very effective anti sickness medication available, don't suffer in silence please.
Just had my first GCSF injection and anyone worrying about self injecting I can reassure you it is virtually painless. X
newey47

thanks mint will bear that in mind. Day 4 after first FEC-T - I must be a wuss, I still feel so sick, retching every morning like morning sickness and then cant face any food, half a small packet of porridge, half a slice of toast, just enough to take my pills with lol. Hoping it wont be many more days before this wears off. val xxxx

Codiesue

Morning ladies just browsing your thread, my chemo has finished now but I had Luasta injection after every chemo but just the one after each dose when I asked why some had 5-7 lots I was told mine was as slow release so maybe worth asking the question especilly if you are not keen on jabs. Hang on in there ladies it is hard but you will get there and following a further WLE 2 wks ago as had some DCIS in margins I have now been told I am clear Yay!!! So glad I agreed to treatment....good luck to all stay strong and positive. Sue xx

mint_tea

Val

They stimulate the growth of healthy white blood cells in the bone marrow - basically to help get those cells back to acceptable levels to avoid /Help fight off infections. I thought it was pretty standard because the cost of the injections is less vs the cost of potential hospital stays if you do get an infection. Might be worth asking. Different medical teams do different things but would be worth you knowing.

mint_tea

I do my own injections. I have 7 days worth after each chemo! The thought of it horrified me at first. Last time around I had one each time but the chemo unit did it. My oncologist laughed at me and said - everything you've been through and you are worried about this?! So they showed me a dvd and sent me off with a bag of the injections and a sharps bin!

It's actually very easy and does not hurt at all.

Tussie

Kellyc, so sorry to hear you have been so unwell, hope your infection will be cleared up so you can have your next chemo session as planned, if not I suspect they delay it a week.
I have just taken out my first GCSF injection from the fridge and will give myself the stap in 15 minutes, hope I won't miss the target!! Had a rotten day yesterday but feel a bit better today, the sun is out so I venture out and get a boost of Vit D to pick me up. Thinking of you all x
whenmy2become1

T3D are you going to try and do your own? Hoping my hsband will do mine - he is really good with stuff like that - just dont think I could stab myself with a needle but can imagine waiting for the nurse every day could be a pain

T3D

I'm having the White cell boosting injections from day five for five days the district nurse is coming out Saturday evening to do my first one. Will let you know how it goes! X
whenmy2become1

oh my goodness what a nightmare for you KellC - especially with your firt chemo it must be making you more concerned about the rest 😞

At least youfelt well from the chemo to start with which hopefully bodes well for you with future cylces once the infection is cleared up

How did you realise you were ill not just tired - did you have a temperature?

take it easy and hope the antibiotics do their job quickly

Kellc

Hi Everyone,

Just got out of hospital today after a weeks stay

Had my TC chemo on wed 1st April was ok till Sunday then was extremey tired didn't feel any better and ended up in hospital on Wednesday night,my neutrophils were nil .

They discovered that my pic line was infected (after three weeks and one treatment) so i have had to have it removed and will be getting another one in. Been pumped full of antibiotics and just beginning to feel normal again. Should be having my next chemo next wednesday but will have to wait and see what they say,

if you think you may be ill or just don't feel well get in touch with your chemo unit straight away.

newey47

hi all why do you have the GCSF injections, what are they for. I have only had one FEC-T but this hasnt been mentioned to me - YET lol.  thanks val xxx

whenmy2become1

I am going to be an April lady after all!

Went to see the chemo nurses today and am getting Picc line on Monday then starting chemo next Thur (23rd) as long as my inifection has healed up. If not will sneak in on 30th April the following week.

The lovely oncologist has prescribed emend for me from the start 🙂

I will have steroids for two days after so will hopefully be ok for the weekends and then feel bad on Mondays which sounds ok to me.

I will also have white-cell-boosting injections in my stomach for seven days from a couple of daysafter chemo - this is standard here. Has anyone else had these? They appreantly feel it is cheaper and easier to do that than pay for people being hospitalised from infections.

I am out tomorrow night and Sat night living it up as much as I can before next week.

I am probably going to be one of the last April ladies and will be so jealous of you ll when it comes to your last scycle and you are all ahead of me!!

Tussie

Hi Tweasel. Thanks for your reply, glad to hear you are soon finished with your sessions. I need five injections after every chemo. Was warned about the joint/back pain and was advised to take Ibuprofen so hopefully I can manage with that, same as you. Take care x
Tweasel

Hi Tussie. Pleased that you have one session out of the way - that's a big tick in the box! Sorry that you have been feeling poorly though. I am on the FEC-T regime and have had all 3 FECs and 2 Ts so far. I have a GCSF (Neulasta) injection the day after each chemo session. I am doing the injections myself and have been ok with that. Are you having one GCSF injection per chemo session, or more frequently? The injections seem to cause bone pain and aches for many people, myself included. Mine are manageable with Paracetamol and Ibuprofen but some people need something stronger. Hope you feel better soon xx
Tussie

Good afternoon ladies. Had my first Chemo yesterday, on the TC regime. What a long day that was, cool capping, chemo and the IV Herceptin, took all in all 6.5 hours before they let me go home. Had a bad night, could not sleep, nausea and headache etc.. Hope it will improve by taking all I have been prescribed.
Regarding the cool capping, you do get very cold for 10 minutes then all goes numb and I did not feel a thing. Was advised not to take paracetamol prior cold capping.
Starting GCSF subcutaneous injections tomorrow to boost the white blood cells, anyone else's having these?
Take care everybody x
Huneebee

Hello there. I had my first chemo on Tuesday. Didn't feel as bad as I expected til yesterday. Burning eyes and headache - para didn't help. It's nice to hear I'm not the only one not sleeping properly. I'm just closing my eyes and dozing the best I can. I can't eat at all. The mere smell of food starts me wrenching! Luckily I have a little extra to live off, so hoping this bit will not last too long. It's nice to hear all your experiences - thank you.

newey47

Morning ladies

Well I managed the odd half hour sleep last night, and while awake felt sick all the time.  I suffered with really bad pregnancy sickness all 3 times and had to have meds, and unfortunately they do say if you suffered with that you will be more likely to suffer bad with the chemo. Just finished my last anti sickness pill, but have got the 3 times a day one  metoclopramide hydrochlorideam, if I need them.   So will see if i need that today. Managed few spoons of cereal to take with pills, BUT I have so starving its unbelievable, but cant face anything. Trouble is the more hungry you are the sicker you feel, so its a no win situation.   Hey ho - can live off my body fat for a while I am sure lol.  Just hoping it will get better in a few days.  Start more pills on Monday Ciprofloxacin, this is an anti biotic, so who knows what side effects I will get with them lol.  Still I live in hope, none!!!  Hope everyone else is fairing better than me today.  BUT one good thing, the headache has gone - yay!!!

mint_tea

Whemmy2become1

When I had chemo first time, I would have on a Thursday and would find the following Monday and Tuesday were the bad days and then Wednesday I would wake up and bounce back. I was taking steroids at home with this one so I am sure that's why there was a few days before it hit. This time around I had chemo Friday and it hit Sunday and lasted 48 hrs again. Yesterday I felt fine. With my current chemo I don't have steroids at home, just before the chemo and I think that's why the feeling rough came quicker. So in terms of timing you might want to check that sort of thing. Also ask re what days are popular or not - here end of week is less popular for some reason (but means less chance of delays, quieter etc).

I was only sick once first time around but TBH I think that had something to do with the roller coaster I went on at a fun fair! I take the anti sickness meds for a couple of days only and then tail off. I have metoclopramide hydrochlorideam but not generally a sicky person so never really expected to suffer with nausea luckily.

T3D

Feeling slightly less sick this morning. Definitely couldn't manage more than dry biscuits but definitely improving. I am having th opposite problem regarding sleep and don't seem to be able to stay awake for more than half an hour at a time I'm on the three day sickness tables but they're going to look at changing it for my next chemo to something stronger. Hope you other ladies are all doing well. X
Molliana

I am not on emend. Just got given the ones to take for three days which I took as instructed. I haven't felt sick once. Unfortunately others have as you can read. It's really tricky to say how you are going to feel. I had my first on Wednesday and did two full days at work Thursday and Friday. It wasn't until Saturday that i started feeling knackered and it's not improved much yet for me. Others seen completely different x

whenmy2become1

so I might be joining you all after all. Chemo nurses rang today and want to start me next week. Shocked doesnt begin to cover it when I thought I had perhaps 3 weeks before I would start.

I am off to see the chemo nurses tomorrow and will have picc line in on Monday.

Any thoughts on "ideal" day of the week to have chemo for a woman who doesnt work a normal job (I am a photographer so can work whenever and wherever) and is more interested in being well at weekends to spend time with family and friends?  I want to know what day to ask for when I meet the nurses tomorrow.

Who is on emend and who is coping with other lesser ani sickness drugs?

thanks everyone. Hope those of you suffering SEs and sleeplessness improve soon

Molliana

T3D yes that's what I was told. Just make sure you take temperature first before paracetamol.
Ugh Guinness! I am feeling a bit less shakey. Been a tourist today so have done far too much but pub dinner decided to overdo the red meat and went for a burger topped with homemade chilli!
You girls who aren't sleeping. You really need to don't be reluctant to take pills for sleep. I have diazepam or if you have sleeping tablets or Nitol or something. Sleep is your friend and a good night will do you all the world of good. Wishing you all a good sleep for tonight xx
T3D

Re: TTRe: Starting Chemo April 2015

Hi val I got the go ahead to take paracetamol providing I took my temperature first just to make sure that it wasn't going to mask any sign of infection. My headache feels a little better this evening so I hope yours does too tracey x
newey47

thanks Mint, no i havent contemplated sleeping tablets, just hoping I will eventually sleep.  Its not that unusual for me, I dont think its all to do with this.  I actually havent slep tmuch since the menopause, which is why I went on HRT!!!!!! I gave up work b4 xmas, gave up the HRT. to work at the b and b from home, and the sleep depravation was perfectly managable as I didnt have to go OUT work and could rest when i needed to.  I will bear the pills in mind but dont really want to take any more than I am already, you would think one of the pills we take would get rid of a simple headache wouldnt you.

If it hasnt gone by tomorrow, I will check with team to see if I can take paracetemol, please god its gone by then.  hey ho lol xxxxx valxxxx

mint_tea

You need to forget the lucozade Molliana - you need to get on the Guinness!

mint_tea

Val

Have you got sleeping tabs? Last time around I went for about a week with no sleep and it was awful! I was worried about taking more meds, but my oncologist encouraged me to take for a few nights each time and they made such a huge difference.

Also can you not take some paracetamol for your headache? I do. I checked it was ok last week and was told paracetamol better than ibuprofen....

T3D

Hi ladies. Glad I'm not alone in the SE dept. don't think I've ever been so sick in all my life have managed half a cup of mint tea and a ginger biscuit and have taken tablets which don't seem to do anything! Roll on tomorrow when hopefully we will all be feeling a little better x
newey47

Storm

and i am glad to hear, well not glad at all, but you know what I mean, that someone else confirms the headache, just cant shift it and we are not allowed to take anything I dont think.  If I still have it tomorrow I might phone for advice. Im hoping its just lack of sleep.  Val xxxx

newey47

Yes we will Storm.  I have just tried some soup, managed a few spoonfuls to take steroids with lol and half a slice of bread.  Joy.  Not thought of peppermint cordail will have to give that a try.  I had very diluted orange squash as I hate water and the taste is not good at the mo.  Havent thought of ginger although a lot of people say ginger nuts, cake etc.  Opps missed my Asda order now.  Have to send OH down to shop lol Who incidentally rubbed my back the whole time I was sick, in fact I had to tell him to stop lol bless him.  he is much more worried about all this than me.

Thanks Molliana, feeling a bit better tbh, BUT need some sleep, 2 days now and counting.  Just as well I dont got out to work but work from home.

Keep improving ladies - and posting val xxxxxx

storminadcup

Hi Newey

So relieved I'm not the only one with the SEs.

Last night I too vomitted didn't have the wee but was so violent it came through my nose.... all my OH could do was laugh!! And as to trying to sleep - was really restless.

Feel a bit flu-ey achey and hot/cold and still have a headache.

Had ginger jam on 1/2 slice of brown toast no butter/spread to take with tablets. Retchng but controlling it.

As to drink went for an old fashioned pepermint cordial - so far so good.

But on the plus side no cystitus symptoms which my nurse was positive I'd get!

We'll get there girl.

Molliana

Hi. Newey. Are you feeling any better? Poor you 😞
Mint_tea I have some iron tablets. Just bought some Lucozade! Lol
newey47

Hi T3D

How are you getting on after your first chemo.  I have posted above re my experience.  Not that great but hoping it will get better lol.  Take care and let us know - Val xxxx

newey47

thank you Gill, that is so nice of you.  There is light at the end of the tunnel and all that then. Take Care Valxxxx

newey47

Re: : Starting Chemo April 2015

Hi Mint, I hope you are right and they are the same each time, well for the first 2 anyway,I change over to the T for the fourth, so expect there will be different side effects. I am told they can get worse each time too- I do hope thats not the case.  I am just lying around thismorning, really need some sleep, but with steroids kicking in now too, dont expct I will get any.  Take Care Val xxxx

mint_tea

Storminadcup - That tingle is odd isn't it!!!! Can't move for pineapple based products and sherbet lemons here either!

mint_tea

Oh no Molliana! What are they going to do for the anemia?

mint_tea

Newey47

Hopefully these SEs will only last a few days and you should find the pattern is the same each time so at least you know what and when to expect. After chemo on Friday I started feeling rough on Sunday pm, no sickness just tired, yucky and headachey not helped by little sleep and off taste! This morning the fog has lifted so I am hoping that that will be my usual pattern. Such a lovely day here looking forward to leaving the house!

newey47

They wont rush it you do need to be healed completely. I had Mx 6 weeks ago just started chemo yesterday and the steroids they give you to take home say may stop healing wounds........ Hope mine is healed enough inside, they must know what they are doing.  So dont rush it, even though you want it over with, its a really long road ahead for all of us.  Take care and keep posting xxxx

newey47

Hi storm and all

Glad your EC went ok, I had FEC all went ok while I was having it, no problems.  Unfortunately had me dinner then felt really sick and brought it all back at 9.45while weeing myself at the same time - awful.  Had a really bad headache too but not allowed to take anything. Then took anti sick and senokot before bed.  Bed thats a laugh, was so tired, as I hadnt slept the night before.  But didnt sleepa wink saw every hour in......... This morning feel ike I have been run over by a bus, aching shoulders neck, like an old lady lol.  Now took the steroids and anti sick again.....managed 6 spoons bran flakes and trying early grey tea no milk rather than me usual coffee.  Let hope thats as bad as it gets, not nice.  Keep well and posting xxxx