1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting Chemo April 2015

whenmy2become1

Re: Starting Chemo April 2015

so i still have my infectionin my SNLB scar and am now perscribed extra strong antibiotics to clear it up and get on with having chemo.

Trouble is there is a good chance of me getting c diff infection from the antibiotics killing the good bacteria in my gut and allowing the c diff to flourish. So am now eating probiotc yogurt to counter the antibiotics effects.

And am trying to get my picc line delayed to Wed to give me more chance to get the infection cleared up- I can still start chemo on the Thur (30th). Big question is will I make it to be an April starter?!

Tussie

Hi Kellc,poor you, I hope the new line will last for the rest of the treatment. My veins are dreadful but they insists they want to use them if they can instead of putting a PICC line in.
Molliana, really feel for you, I don't think you can quite prepare yourself for the hair loss, I am dreading it.
The nasal drip is ever present but the least of my worries now. Had my first TC with Herceptin a week ago. Finally the severe bone pain is subsiding, but having problems with constipation and headache and now I have just discovered I probably have oral thrus to top it all! Well, another phone call to the GP tomorrow I suspect. It's been harder than I thought with the chemo, been in bed a lot, just waiting for for the fog to lift. They say about a week to recover so let's hope I'll get there tomorrow.
Take care everybody x
Fluffydave

Hey everyone, I will join you 🙂 had my first ec-t beginning of April and had my second one yesterday. Side effects not to bad, nausea last night was really bad but iv managed to get out for a short walk today x
Huneebee

Hi. Kellc. What a truly awful time you've had! Sending you big hugs.

I thought having a Picc line fitted was terrible, you're experience is far worse. You are being so strong about it all. I really hope this settles down soon for you. X
Kellc

Hi everyone
Just had my second central line fitted yesterday as the first one got infected waited from ten o clock and went down at five more painfull than the first as it was in a different place finally putting the last stich in and he punctured the line

It had to come out and start all over again it took almost two hours them they said I would have to stay overnight. Been to see onc at an other hospital today but at least they provided transport only to be told they hadn't arranged my chemo as they thought I would not be well enough so its next week. Got home and discovered my line was bleeding do its back tomorrow to get dressing changed. Good job the sun is shinning

Dawnyw

Hi Val, yes I'm on fec-t too...3 of each ...only minor manageable side effects so far , feeling lucky as I'm reading yours and other women's experiences ! The steroids have made me crazy busy cleaning and not sleeping but seem to be easing off now as I only have them for days 1-4 ...so glad to hear your feeling better.xxx
Huneebee

I haven't looked for scarves yet. I will let you know how I get on😀
1981mum

Moliana sounds tough, I'm grateful my little one is too young to notice

Hi to everyone else!

It's going to be a long 4 months of this 😞 hopefully we all manage to grin and bare it

I think I need to step up my game to buy a wig this weekend
Can anyone recommend a website for decent headscarves?
Huneebee

Gosh, lots going on. I haven't any signs of hair loss, but my nose has been constantly running. Nice to understand why!

I found lucozade works - normally wouldn't touch the stuff! But I don't care right now, as it's the only thing I can drink.

Today, I mostly keep falling asleep!
T3D

Oh mollianna poor you - it must be so hard for you. i wish I had something helpful to say but we all know that it's a temporary step on the road to recovery but it can't make it any easier! I keep checking mine - I'm only a week in. Just know that I'm sending you virtual hugs and thinking of you. Obviously I'll be looking for advice when my hair meltdown arrives 😉 Tracey x
T3D

Hi Val. I'm going to try the coke as the biggest problem that I seem to have is finding something I can drink. Which Is a totally minor problem thank goodness everything else seems to have settled down. Glad to hear that you're doing well. Tracey x
Molliana

Mine is coming out today. Day 14 after Fec 1. I am home alone with my four year old and want to cry for England but I can't because he is here 😞
1981mum

Hello everyone,
I started my treatment this month and I'm one session of 6-8 down.
Side effects are manageable so far, I'm on a mix called AC
This morning though I noticed my hair has started to fall out (14 days since first chemo) I was hoping it would take 2-3 sessions but don't think I'll last that long
Has anyone else experienced this yet?

newey47

thank you Dawny, I am feeling much better now thanks.  Only had steroids for a couple of days. What chemo are you on may I ask, I am FEC-T.  Only done one so far.  I understand I get more steroids for the T part lol. Val xxxx

Dawnyw

Val, sorry to hear that you've been suffering so badly, I feel so lucky and blessed as I've felt so well since my first session on 15/4 , crazy cleaning, cooking and gardening due to the steroids and just some minor heartburn etc....just goes to show how everybody is different and my time will come I'm sure ! Hope you and all you other ladies start to feel better soon ️xxx dawn
newey47

Hi T3D believe it or not coca cola is working well for me. NOT the diet type funnily enough but the sugar. I would NEVER normally drink a fizzy drink with sugar but hey ho if it works and with lots of ice of course.  Val xxx

newey47

OMG Storm that would explain my bloody nose this morning, my very sore nose inside and continual streaming, yes the hairs are all dying off - thank you OH for the explanation. We sure are going through some very odd things arent we. Whatever next methinks lol !!!! Val
storminadcup

hi all, tempest over and am now home. Tired but nausea under control. know i shouldnt care but how can i be putting on weight when i have thrown up for 5/7 days and only been on fluids. face looks like a hamster and my eyes a lovely nicotine yellow as my liver function has been affected. had hoped to go back to work but been TOLD to take 5 days off. even my GP has rung me...... why wont my body do what my mind thinks it can?

have found out why we think we smell (actually OH has) its the hairs in our nostrils dying off..... nice thought..

positive bit of the day - my 21 yr old son bought me some bronley lemon body lotion....said it might help me feel better.x

T3D

Oh gosh huneebee that sounds horrible. Hope you're better soon.
Now a week in everything seems ok apart from the horrid taste and the indigestion everything else seems to have settled down just fine. Still to find a drink that's nice but hoping my usual love of coffee returns soon. Hope everyone else is feeling good and enjoying the sunshine x
Huneebee

Hi Molliana, I'm receiving 6 rounds of FEC. Like you, I'm hugging the toilet, hospital decided losing a kg a day too much. So started meds to dry up everything that was over working! A relief.

I have found drinking lucozade helps. I couldn't drink water or any of my usual herbal teas.

I'm just hoping the antibiotics will work quickly and settle everything down. X
Hazelr

Hi ladies, I have finished 6chemos now but my taste buds were really awful with docetaxel but with FEC I craved red meat like mince, steak and sausages, not that I would normally eat that sort of food. The taste buds came back after about 2 weeks and I found fresh pineapple really helped with horrid taste in my mouth, Rice pudding was good as well, probably just comfort food cravings. Sparkling water really helped as well but now I can't think of drinking it! Hope it goes well for you and just eat what you fancy, I think your body will tell you what you need so listen to it. Good luck xxx
Molliana

Oh no. poor you. Which chemo are you having? I did think my mouth was getting sore but it feels much better since I started with some mouthwash. Just a normal one I bought.
Apart from being anaemic the only problem I am having is toilet issues! One minute I can't go the next there is no stopping me! can't seem to get it right 😞
Huneebee

How's everybody doing ? Can I ask, has anybody experienced an infection in their digestive system? The chemo has caused sores from my mouth to my bowel. I can't eat and am sucking ice lollies instead of drinking. This is my first dose, so I'm wondering if it will happen every time? Xxx
whenmy2become1

Molliana I get the impression most areas dont really want to get into the whole "nipple sparing" thing and it is only carried out by a small number of hospitals. Sometimes the nipple cannot be saved because the cancer is too close to it or cancer cells are found in the ducts below the nipple but sometimes it can be saved. It quite fiddly to do though I believe so unless they are used to doing it it has a high failure rate and so they dont offer it.

I was due to have my picc line in this morning - when I got there we had all the preamble and then I asked if someone could take a look at my SNLB scar to see if they think the infection has healed enough for me to have chemo on Thurs. The guy putting my line in said he wanted to take a look and he then said he needed to get it checked before putting picc line in. After lots of ringing round and paging people...it was decided NOT to put my line in but to delay things by a week 😞

The good side is another week of normality and fun.The downside is waiting another week with this thing growing inside me and another week before it is all over and another week of pysching myself up and readying myself.

Definitely would prefer to know I am not at risk of getting the picc line infected or stopping the healing process - better to be cautious but I am now barely scraping into April with you ladies as will be April 30th (if all goes well)

Molliana

I didn't get the option to keep my nipple. Don't know why. I can only assume that that is where they take all the breast tissue out, of the hole where they have cut the nipple out. I had a skin sparring mastectomy so the rest of my skin is mine just the nipple part is missing.
whenmy2become1

storminadcup sounds like you have had a nightmare - hope you start to feel better soon. It sounds like the first round has generally left people reeling. I am not looking forward to the strange taste, inability to eat anything and the strange smell! (Although as I am worried I am going to eat everything in sight and grow huge on chemo I suspect a week of eating very little will not be a bad thing in that respect!)

I am having chemo first and will then have mastectomy and most of my nodes removed (I had two taken in a biopsy and one has a tiny amount of cancer in so they will clear out most of the rest. I am more worried by that than losing a boob because of the issues it gives with your arm - and its my right arm 😞 )

I will need a temporary (silicon?) reconstruction as I am hoping to have skin sparing mastectomy and then to have DIEP (tummy) reconstruction at a later date.

Has anyone kept/want to keep their nipple?

newey47

another quick question. I have got to start taking these anti=biotics tomorrow CIPROFLOXACIN - it says dont take with milk but ok with meals.  Does that mean i can take them with me cereal breakfast? or do i have to take before or have to wait till after? confused.com - Val xxxx

newey47

Hi Jane, Yes I had full node clearance and had 5/15 with cancer in. It was a bit strange at first, cos you have a sort of big hollow under your arm. BUT mine were taken out through same incision as Mx so only one scar. The arm feels very strange for some time,but it is now coming back into its own, and you do have to be careful with lymphoedema. I have to massage arm every night but only for a few minutes, and that is forever. You have to do your exercises to get the arm moving again. They sent my to lymphoedema/physio for exercises. I have been lucky so far no swelling or anything. I religiously do the little massage and I have almost full movement back in arm, just a bit more stretching above head to do. There were girls at clinic with lympho. but I think it is more bad luck than anything you do. You do of course have to be careful of the arm forever,cos probs can crop up any amount of time after op. I havent really experienced any problem at all. Some ladies i know have had two operations, so that would be a different story and two scars. They all seem to do it different, so I suppose it depends on what you have. I had skin sparing mastectomy and immediate implant with strattice. I am almost 6 weeks, on tuesday post op. Hope that helps, when you know what you are having exactly you can find more information and support about it. I am always happy to help. Val xxxx
Molliana

Sorry for abbreviations. My lump was at about 5 o'clock position. It was 37mm. I had it taken out and two sentinel node taken out at the same time. One of them was positive with a micro bit in. But since then didn't have clear margins they decided a mastectomy was the best option. I had that done with an immediate reconstruction using muscle from my back and they also took ten more lymph.nodes which were clear.

Good news that the chemo is shrinking yours. You know you have effective chemo. I don't know about whether they take nodes out if you have chemo before surgery?
Jane1978

Wats all abreviations lol oh right u have a big lump under ur arm then !!? Mine was size of golf ball!!!!!! But I have to say chemo shrunk already!!!!!! But I'm guessing will still take nodes out that were affected but hiw will they know !?! Questions questions I'm scared as before I was dx my surgeon sed it would be rare if was cancer as was so large ! And yes it was cancer so now scared!!!!
Molliana

I had my surgery before chemo too. In fact I had loads! After my two dodgy biopsies I had a WLE in order to biopsy that. Then I had a reexcision as they didn't have clear margins plus a snb. Then they still didn't get clear margins so I had a mx with immediate Ld reconstruction on 18th March plus 10 nodes removed.
Jane1978

Val did u have nodes out too ?! It's that I'm worrying about more than boob!! Lol it's the not knowing wats gunna happen and whether will be one op or two etc
newey47

Oh it seems I may be alone as I had my surgery before chemo.  If anyone wants to know anything about that I would be happy to help. AND to reassure you, its a doddle compared to chemo....... Val xxx

newey47

newey47

Oh Jane lucky you. I was given some anti sickness before infusions, then some for a couple of days after i got home. I dont know what they actually gave me.   But I was still retching and feeling sick all the time.  I had some others too for up to five days called metoclopramide hydrochloride But I gaggeg and wretched as soon as i took them.......managed to keep them down but not that great.  Still felt rough.  I might ask for something stronger next time As i had bad pregnancy sickness and motion sickness etc. Glad you are doing so well.  Shows we are all different.,.....val xxx

T3D

Hi Jane1978. So pleased to hear that you've done so well. They're gonna change my anti-sickness meds next time so fingers crossed I'll be starving all the time too! I'm having my chemo first then surgery I think they said surgery would be about a month after chemo but tbh it's all a bit of a blur! Tracey
Jane1978

I have been ok with food Infact I cannot stop eating !!!!!!! I literally finish something and my tummy rumbles again lol I also have the emend for 3 days then domperidone for up to a week and have not been sick ! Didn't even ask for the emend they just gave it me but I did tell em I'm especially sick as I suffer with motion sickness anxiety sickness u name it so I'm so pleased I havnt actually vomited and I'm nearly half way thru now!!! Wel the chemo part anyhow. Anyone else having chemo then surgery ? If so have they suggested when surgery will be done ??
T3D

Dear Val . So pleased you're doing so well. I don't usually like honey either but seems ok right now lol. I was really disappointed when I tried my usual costa hazelnut soya latte this morning only to find it really awful. I'm gonna save a fortune haha. I've been eating sandwiches and cereals but intend to try some chicken for dinner and really fancy mashed potatoes I wonder if my Hubby can be talked into making those! Let's hope we have a fantastic couple of weeks and will be ready to tackle the next lot head on. Love Tracey x
newey47

Oh T3D thank goodness for that.  I am so glad I asked now phew!!!!! It is awful isnt it lol?

maybe I will try the honey next time although i really dont like honey usually, but then I dont like anything at the beginning so I might even like it, if u know what I mean.

On a really good note, today I am so much better - I have had no gagging or wretching.  I have had crunchy nut cornflakes, a slice of toast, a ginger biscuit and just managed a very small salad with dressing on even and so enjoyed it, followed by almost a whole cup of coffee and another ginger nut - roll on dinner lol.  I cant tell everyone how good it feels to feel hungry, want food, be able to eat it, enjoy it and keep it down YAY!!!!!

SO next time I will know, life on hold for first 5 or 6 days but it DOES get better - hooray!!!

Hope everyone else is doing better now too - I AM SO HAPPY!!!!!!

lots of love Val xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

T3D

YES. I stink and it's hideous I can smell it and taste it all the time that kinda chemically pong - I even got my best friend (who has a spectacularly good sense of smell) to sniff me yesterday and she promises I smell fine but I CAN smell it ALL the time. Haha thank goodness it isn't just me! Phew!
On a good note I finally found a drink that tastes ok. Hot water with a half tea spoon of honey - living the high life lol.
Here's hoping we smell better soon x
newey47

Hi all you lovely ladies again, hope your Sunday is finding you all better today.  I feel much much better today - thank the lord - so looks like everyone was right that the first week is the worst and for me a complete no no to doing anything!!!!

Can I just ask a question, it might seem really silly BUT does anyone else think they smell, I hate my own smell, it smells like chemo/drugs/hospital, it seems to ooze from my skin and my "dare I say it" lady bits. I just hate the whole smell of me, even after a shower.OH says I dont, maybe its just in my head, but I dont think so.  I am obsessed with smells at the mo., I hate the smell of my freshly laundered nightdress, dressing gown etc its all flowery and horrible lol.  God what am I like?

Thanks for any info/understanding/empathy and thoughts

Val xxxxxxx

T3D

Sending virtual hugs to you storm. Hope you are feeling better soon. Tracey x
newey47

Oh storm I so feel for your.  it is so hard to eat and drink when you feel sick,everything tastes awful and you are retching.  I find even a sip of water setme off a lot of the time.  It tasted so awful.  I put a little bit of squash in it just to take the taste away a bit which helped - a bit lo. We can do without food but not water..... Wishing you a speedy recovery - much love val xxxxxx

Molliana

Ah storminateacup 😞 Take care and I hope you start to feel better very soon xx
storminadcup

Hi Newey and the rest of you lovely April Birds ...
Currently in hospital after vicious side effects. seems it is purely sickness and dehydration. So however rubbish you feel dont do what I did - 5 attempts at a vein for bloods before they had to use the "wrong" arm. Now I know how a pin cushion must feel. Still nauseous and terrible headache.
but hey plus point ive an en suite and an excuse not to cook sunday lunch xx
whenmy2become1

thanks ladies willadd pineapples and strawberries to the list (the kids will eat them if i cant) and be sure we have plenty of cereal.

thank you

T3D

Hi whenmy2become1 on the food front personally i have been a little and often eater. Wanting dryer foods like breakfast cereal. The horrible mouth taste is kinda rubbish and makes some stuff taste truly awful. But I have found quite a few things that are fine - especially sweet things!! Pineapple and strawberries are a good shout too. Hope this helps and that you sail through without a hitch. Tracey x
newey47

Cant really help with what meals to plan.  Suggest family have as usual.  I have not been able to stomach anything yet.  I have forced down with gagging, cornflakes a few spoons, half a slice of toast, half a cup of soup and today a few chips that I thought i fancied.  I am hoping next week I might be able to manage a meal of some descreption as my hunger pains are really bad,  I just dont fancy anything.  Still we are all different and you might be perfectly fine, I know some others are.  Guess I am just one of the lucky ones lol.  good luck with your first, I had my first last Tuesday........xxxxxxx val xxx

whenmy2become1

hi everyone - sorry to hear some of you are suffering from the chemo. 😞

I am still trying to make the most of pre-chemo life so have a busy week before Thursday when I will be joining you in chemoland

I am just doing some kind of shopping plan to make things easier for my OH.

Have you ladies any tips on what I need to plan for meals for me? Have your tastes changed? Are you wanting the same as normal or smaller meals? Blander meals? I am hoping to try and eat sensibly if I can to avoid piling on too much weight.But the most inportant thing will be to get through thi with my sanity and sense of humour intact so if chocolate ice cream is the way to go - I wont stress too much!

Any advice would be great - thanks

Molliana

You can buy donperidone over the counter if you need to give it a go. It's Motilium x