cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting Chemo April 2015

1981mum

Re: Starting Chemo April 2015

Hey ladies
It's so useful to read about everyone's experiences. All tips on taking on board

I too decided just to shave it all off and so glad I did, now I'm not forever picking up hair
Still getting used to my wig , especially in the wind lol I held onto it today just in case!
Chemo 2/6 tomorrow hoping I can feel as good as I did last time relatively untouched by side effects
Fingers crossed!
Tussie

Hi all!
Jackie, good luck next month!
T3D, I have trush too, mine is everywhere, rather inconvenient but I'll be ok. Tastebuds not back to normal, it is 2 weeks since my first chemo. I feel I have been put on a detox as I can't stand drinking tea, coffee or wine, it just tastes awful, seems like water is the only thing I can tolerate.
Next chemo next Wed so making the most of feeling almost normal now, what a joy! Still got my hair intact but for how long remains to be seen. I will use the cold cap again and hope for the best.x
Jane1978

Hi newbies !!!! My sickness starts as soon as I land home lol but she I say sickness I dint actually vomit! (Touch wood) I feel like I'm on a ship n feel woozy n ligh headed n gippy !!! Next morning I'm 90% better just stay in bed and get waited on!!! Haha know ev ones diff but I am a sickly person so expected it to be awful but it's really not gud luck xxx
jackiek55

Hi girls, sorry not been around for a while. Had an infection in my operation wound and needed several doses of antibiotics including 5 days IV in hospital. Was due to start chemo last week but they decided to defer for a week until infection cleared and I had a Hickman line fitted. Line in and working well but still not sure infection cleared so been deferred another week with 5 more days of antibiotics. The down side to this is I'm now going to be a May starter. Good luck to you all. I hope you're all doing well and I will pop in from time to time to see how you are all doing, Jackie xx

newey47

thanks for that Hazel, Yes I did expect the tiredness to get worse later on, but ever hopeful it wont.  If it does, we know exactly what to do dont we - give in to it- and be up and at it as and when we can. I have already tried the liquorice, i hate it but it does work.  Yes lunchtimes area much better idea than evenings....then can relax during evening, I agree. Glad you had such a good outcome.  Take Care Val xxx

Hazelr

Hi all I have finished my chemo but thought I would just say that Shaving hair off is much more comfortable than it falling out. I bought some head caps and turbans on line and also have two wigs now depending on my mood. To help with constipation natural liquorice works really well, make called panda. Ask for Domperidon anti sickness tablets work well and Emend for first 3 days of chemo. The steroids make you really hungry and awake in middle of night, don't take any after midday. The tiredness will be worse after each one so don't expect to be too lively come the third or fourth onwards. Make the most of weeks 2 and 3 before the next one, I booked up lots of lunches and meeting friends as come the evenings I was a bit too tired to party at night. All of us are different but as I am now out the other side I can pass on what I found helped me. Just so you know why you are going through this I have had a complete radiological response to the treatment which means my tumors in breast and node have completely gone and I am now hopefully having WLE instead of mx. Good luck to you all, keep your chins up and be happy when you can but let yourself be sad if you need to be as well, it's all part the journey xxxxx
sentangelo

thank you for your replies ladies! you sound so reassuring and profi!!! 🙂 I'm very happy you are around. and hope you have good times during the treatment. i sooooo don't want to throw up and so hope i won't. well, cup of tea for now and a movie. xxx

newey47

Oh and forgot to say, SO RUDE OF ME!!!, welcome to all the newbies, its not as bad as u think it is doable.

Oh and I have booked a couple of nights away beside the sea, for me and OH as a break, in the middle of next two sessions. We are SO busy with the B and B first two weeks in May, then second two weeks too, so booked a couple of nights off in the middle.  Something to look forward to, lots of walks, fresh air, and time for eachother and nothing else, especially not the C.  Take care all ....val xxxx

newey47

Hi T3D, best to shave all hair off, more comfortable.  As soon as mine started to come out that was it for me, all off.  Feels quite liberating tbh I am not a bit bothered.  I have been out in one of my wigs and felt fine, busy trying out all my other headgear at home, and been going bald too.  OH shaved all his off too, shorted even than mine and at Hosp/Onc appintment yesterday people looked at him as if he was the cancer patient lol cos I had a wig on lol.  Yes need plenty of stuff to move the titanic, I had a real bad time last Thursday with that - 2 hours stuck in the no go zone, neither oot nor in lol was walking around and up and down stairs to try to shift it, really low point that was, and yet I had been going every other day so thought I was fine.  Salads, Rhubarb fool and sultana bran have sorted it since lol.  But like you got lactuloseand senokot ready for next week and will start day before.  Onc gave me 3 diff sorts of anti sickness tabs too to try to control it and got to take day before.  I cant get why have to have 3 diff ones, cant they combine it all in one, one of them is cut in quarters and says used to treat schizophrenia fgs, must be really strong to cut them up........ not happt taking all them tbh but if it stops the sickness hey ho.

I am feeling really great this week too thank goodness - at least we know we get one normal week, or maybe it gets worse each time,who knows? guess we will find out very soon, but not gonna dwell on that cos got other things to do lol oh yeah like hopsital for MUGA scan again friday, and blood test monday and then the chemo tues. Hospitals are second home at the mo arent they?

Take care everyone and good luck with the next round........xxxxxx valxxxx

newey47

Hi I was ok when I got home and most of the evening.  Starting throwing up 9.30 ish - but as T2D says, we are all different and react if different ways and at different times.  Good Luck, hope you have no SE at all xxxxx

T3D

Hi Sentangelo. Well done on getting the first one over with. I came home from hospital as high as a kite I had afternoon treatment so got home about 6pm I was fast asleep by 9 just couldn't stay awake, then was up being sick from about midnight but tbh we all seem to react differently so make sure you rest and take it as it comes. Good luck and hope to hear you're right as nine pence tomorrow x
sentangelo

Hi everybody! T3D! Very good news and thank you for the tips!
I just came home from the first session. Yes!!! One down, 5 to go. So far nothing. I feel completely ok. I wish it could stay like this forever ))) do you know when can the side effects start hitting me?
T3D

Hello everyone. Welcome to our new joiners! I had a meet with my oncologist today and she is v pleased with me. Two weeks after chemo one and the lymph gland is definitely smaller and my cancer is "more mobile" which is apparently a good thing!! No wonder my tongue has been so sore I have thrush so antibiotics for that, also got a mouthwash and enough movicol to move the titanic so should be all set for the next round! I also got a tip from her regarding hair loss. My hair s coming out in handfuls and my scalp is very sore so she recommended making a rinse for my hair using soluable aspirin -apparently it will help with the pain so I'm going to try it later but thought I'd share the tip incase anyone else is having the same trouble.
Hope you're all doing well - I'm feeling hugely better this week so roll on round two!! X
Huneebee

Good luck for today x
sentangelo

Thank you Hannah! Sounds inspiring! I'm very happy you are holding up ok. Can't sleep. But I dont' think it's because I'm too nervous now. I think it's the streoids I started taking yesterday. I just cannot fall asleep. So after many hours of trying just decided to wake up andperhaps blog a bit or do something else.

hannah203

Hello sentangelo
I'm on day 5 post EC & I'm holding up OK 🙂 you'll be fine the not knowing how you'll be affected is the worst part... Something we all learnt whilst waiting for our initial results. Good luck for tomorrow xxxx
sentangelo

Thank you Huneebee! I really try to keep my hopes up. And reading this thread helps a lot! 😘
Huneebee

Welcome! If you read through some of the chatter, you'll be nicely surprised that many of us have well controlled side effects, some even not suffering too badly.

I think the waiting and the anticipation of the unknown is the hardest bit.

sentangelo

Hi ladies! I'm finally joining you tomorrow. I have TAC protocol, which sounds very scary. Eat like an elephant today. Perhaps it's stress related. I don't know if I can sleep at all today. Have been so nervous about this chemo lately that I had nightmares. Uff. It's the most difficult thing to wait without knowing what exactly is ahead.
mint_tea

Had my PICC line put in today. Completely painless and much quicker than I had anticipated, so all good. Have ordered some funky PICC line covers so hope that they arrive soon. Second chemo Friday so a couple of days to enjoy before the chemo wave hits again....

Huneebee

Good God girl, you are having fun!

Hope all goes well today. X
Molliana

Ohhh ok. As long as I am not doing something really wrong!

Funny yesterday I was bursting for a wee at the hospital so rushing to the outpatients waiting area and dived into the men's toilet by mistake. And I mean actually right in! Not just a tiny bit in. Then I thought "this doesn't smell like a ladies toilet' and mortifying had to dive back out in front of the waiting room of people and go into the right toilet!
Jane1978

Dha is an ingredient they put in fake tans that some people say can cause cancer !!!!!! I'm a big fake tan fan!!! Iv become rather various of what I use and eat etc prob being paranoid !! U can use perfume stuff just my skin is sensitive and also on your head if it's stinging etc than no perfume is prob kinder ! Xx
Jo_BCC

Hi Mollianna

Here's the link to the area of this website where a pic line is explained:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/treating-breast-cancer/chemotherapy/how...

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Molliana

Whenmy2become1 I don't even know what a picc line is 🙂
Molliana

Jane1978 what's dha?
And without meaning to sound stupid, why can't we use stuff with perfumes in? I have just been using everything I normally would for things like deodorant and shower gel etc. The only thing I started using was my toddlers shampoo ...
whenmy2become1

fingers crossed I will get the all clear on my scar infection tomorrow and get my Picc line put in and start chemo on Thursday. feel a right novice compared to you ladies already in the thick of it
Huneebee

Molianna,

Sending you hugs & get well wishes! You poor thing. Xx
newey47

molli we have no choice lol and you have been through and coping with mire than most of us.  full of admiration we are xxxx

Molliana

Ahh I couldn't cope with the sickness a lot of you have had. I haven't had any of that thank goodness x
Egret

Hi newey47, what you wrote is reassuring, after two "good" days, I am feeling quite sick on day 3. I hope to follow your pattern, and get better in a couple of days! Egret xi
storminadcup

Hi All

Hair on head starting to thin ... but hoping it can last 3 days as am in work Weds/Thurs, lady garden definiteely thinks it is time to moult! Had a wig cut today ... very odd feeling. Other than that I'm doing ok!! First time since chemo so quite relieved. Can't believe that next week I'll be doing it all again. Off tomorrow for an ultrasound on my liver ... bit concerned as don't rally know why.

Moillianna - you are having such a tough time - big hugs xx

Jane1978

Same here moll I am using Nivea as no perfume etc in it !!! Also using melvita gradual tan !!!! No dha in it!!!! X
Molliana

My head is a bit flaky. What are you all using on yours? I don't usually have a flaky head.

Been to bcn to get them to look at my back. Ended up spending the afternoon in a&e again. Still neutrophils are 5.2 loads better than Saturday when they were 2. And got my back drained!
T3D

Lol so glad I'm not alone! That's the ultimate insult isn't it - we will all be bald with fabulously hairy legs at least I'll have a use for my leftover conditioner!!
Jane1978

Hahahahaha I know I lost my lady garden quick too and hairs under arms not growing now which is gud !!! But still got hairy legs n arms !! Wats that all about???!!! Just hoping jeep my Brows but they r thinning now !!
Huneebee

Oh Molliana, that's the most I've chuckled in days!!! Thank you. Xxx
Molliana

I haven't lost my lady garden! I even tried pulling it in the shower put nooo. Plus my legs are the hairiest they have ever been as i am refusing to shave them!
Huneebee

I'm so glad you said about your lady garden, I thought I was weird as it went first a few days ago!!!

Head shaved - much more comfortable now. Wearing first scarf. I'm off out to the bakers, let's see how people take it.
T3D

Hi Val wish I was craving salad I seem to be carb obsessed! I even ate a whole nan bread which is something I don't usually eat!! It's all about the potatoes and bread for me! Lol
Just like you and Hunneebee my hair has started falling out today (lost all my lady garden on Saturday-sorry if that's overshare!) my head is SO sore it feels a bit like sunburn. I am desperate to have enough to not wear a scarf when I go out tonight but am just off to walk the dog on the beach,and it is quite windy, so who knows!! I have visions if the person walking behind me being covered in hair- how embarrassing that would be! I'm feeling well but seem to get tired so quickly I'm sure it's because if this irritating cough it keeps waking me up but apart from that I feel fine! Best wishes to all Tracey
Huneebee

Hi all!

I've had my Picc line checked, it's apparently ok. So no explanation to why it keeps getting inflamed when I use my arm. So they've told me just to keep my arm rested so I don't lose the line.

Well my hair is well and truly falling out! By the handful, started last night. I'm surprised that my scalp feels so itchy and uncomfortable. So going to be brave and shave it off in a mo. After reading others experience, I don't fancy it taking a week!

So practices tying my scarf! Off to the bathroom to nick my husbands razor!!!
Molliana

Hi.
when my hair started coming out I thought it was good to leave it coming out for five days. Ohhh it was painful 😞 Better to get it off.

I am alright. Managed to scrape through yesterday by getting through to the antibiotics before my temperature got too high and at my 4pm dose it had started coming down by itself! I was bloody freezing when I woke up this morning so that was a bonus and my temperature is fine today. Anyone who is feeling a bit fluey and achey with even a tiny bit of temperature should go in and get their bloods done. I have definitely avoided a stay in hospital only because I went in as soon as I started to feel unwell.

My back is like a giant hot water bottle now tho and still pretty angry looking. I am going in to the bcn today and feel sure they will be draining it! 😞 Probably better out than in!

Thinking of you all x
newey47

Molli  How are you doing now?  Val xxxx

newey47

hi hannah

Its a shock just how weak you feel isnt it.  I was really bad for 4/5 days, couldnt eat, only nibble tiny amounts and didnt even want that, but knew I had to.  If its any consolation, week 2 was great, still horrible taste in mouth and food doesnt taste the same, but I was hungry and enjoyed certain things. Then this last week is my final week and over the weekend horrible taste went, and I am starving all the time, but craving healthy foods like salad which is all good.  Trying not to go overboard as dont want to put any weight on, just enough to get me through next chemo next tues 5th may.  So I am determined to really enjoy this week, hospital visits excepted of course. So it DOES get better although at the time I thought I would feel like that forever and would not be able to cope.  Get through the first week of horridness then I am sure you will be fine.  Val xxxxxxxxx

newey47

hello all you lovely ladies

not been on for a good few days, well not to post anyway.  Been feeling SO well after inital 5 days of torture after chemo lol.  Have been eating for England, but crave all things healthy like salad, which is great!!  Well this morning........... the day has finally come 13 days after chemo, my hair is coming out in handfuls SO when OH gets back from builders, will get it all shaved off....... I knew it would happen........ got my wigs and scarves etc ready......... BUT still scary when it happens lol.  Still its only temporary - funny was looking at shampoos when shopping and then stopped and thought WHY???? lol.  Hope all you lovely ladies are doing ok xxxxxxx val xxxxxxx

June_BCC

Hello Julie3

Welcome to the forums.  I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis, this must be a very difficult time for you.

As well as the support you will receive on the forums you might find it helpful to talk things through with one of the helpline staff, they are there to offer emotional support as well as provide information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and lines are open 9-5 Monday to Friday and 10-2 Saturday.

Best wishes             

June, moderator

Egret

Hi! I found sugarless mints sweets help.
Egret

Thanks1981mum, I am taking all advice in!
storminadcup

Mollianna... no words just hugs for you both xx

My dad has prostrate cancer and my step grand daughter braib tumours ..... we compare notes on side efffects... but it has made cancer a normal convrrsation over dinner so there are some bebefits xxxx

storminadcup

hi, I tried the cold cap but wimped out. However my bcc nurse has several patients it worked for .... so go for it. Hint I wasnt given beforehand. Take paracetemol about an hour before hand so it is at its strongest when you start. 

xx